Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tomrob wrote: »
    Just found out Ftth has come available have rang vodafone and Eir both 30euro 12 month contracts but Eir want 99 euro installation and 49 euro activation fee 150mb broadband .Vodafone offering 500mb and free installation. Eir do not seem to be interested in matching Vodafone. We prefer to go with Eir if they matched price of Vodafone Wondering any point in ringing Eir again ?

Yes do - where you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

cnocbui wrote: »
    Some years ago, I found, much to my surprise, That Vodafone's international call charges were significantly cheaper than my landline, so stopped using it for such calls.

Yeah, mobiles have near killed off landlines for most. For her needs, the landline does work out cheaper so she was happy to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tomrob

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yes do - where you based?

Mayo

Mayo

I Rang Eir this morning and just gave same price told about Vodafone offer but did not match it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭user1842

Mayo

Where in Mayo, if I may ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Just found out Ftth has come available have rang vodafone and Eir both 30euro 12 month contracts but Eir want 99 euro installation and 49 euro activation fee 150mb broadband .Vodafone offering 500mb and free installation. Eir do not seem to be interested in matching Vodafone. We prefer to go with Eir if they matched price of Vodafone Wondering any point in ringing Eir again ?
    Both Eir and Vodafone's price doubles after the 12 months, so it could be a hassle having to switch in a year. Eir are the worse option as they're only doing 150Mb as their low offering. If you don't need the TV then avoid them.

Also consider Westnet, €45 a month for 500Mb but no price jump after the 12 months, so 24 months with them works out the same price as 24 months with vodafone without switching.

Also Vodafone will probably hit you with the €50 installation fee, Westnet is free installation.

user1842 wrote: »
    Where in Mayo, if I may ask?

Near Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭user1842

Near Castlebar

Can you let us know when you get connected. It will be interesting to see the time-frame of when you order to when you get connected.

user1842 wrote: »
    Can you let us know when you get connected. It will be interesting to see the time-frame of when you order to when you get connected.

I will do .I signed up with Vodafone see what happens .

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Good morning folks,
    Prob asked already but have we any way around this issue.

Eir have installed fibre right at the bottom of the rd (main rd). We are 500m from it up a lane that has 4 other houses on it but we cannot get fibre.

Anyone any experiences similar ? Any joy and how to go about it if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
    Good morning folks,

Eir have installed fibre right at the bottom of the rd (main rd). We are 500m from it up a lane that has 4 other houses on it but we cannot get fibre.

Answered good few times already, short version - bad luck , wait for NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Does EIR Sport still show Premier League games? Or have they lost this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭testtech05

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
    Good morning folks,

I feel your pain but in our case the house across the road from our entrance (max 50m from the house) has fibre while we cant get it, really frustrating. I tried enquiring through a few different companies some who were more helpful than others but eventually all got the same answer......

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hi Martin,
    My house was last week listed as VDSL available 12M/1M but this week it says "Please check with our sales team"
    Would you be able to tell why this might be? I can provide any needed info.
    Thanks,

Still on available soon - its showing that we might be able to get FTTH soon (we have eir fibre in the street we live on)

testtech05 wrote: »
    My house was last week listed as VDSL available 12M/1M but this week it says "Please check with our sales team"
    Would you be able to tell why this might be? I can provide any needed info.

Hi,

can you PM me your Eircode. I can have a look at see.

Generally it might be caused by merges within OpenEIRs database.

I await the day it updates and includes my address on the FTTH section

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

I had a sales rep call to me yesterday from vodafone. I said well this will be my chance for a bit of craic with him.

Introduced himself as Darren and was very polite. Asked if i had got my upgrade to ftth and I said i didnt but was very interested.
    Now poor Darren thinks he has an easy sale here and starts going through all thats needed and i hit him with this.

"Darren, im gonna make your xmas!!how would you like a grand in cash today?If you can get me FTTH by the end of the day its yours? the box is on that post there on my lawn 30 foot away! off you go"

needless to say he did try the poor lad but left half an hour later wondering what could have been.

i would have paid the man the money too if he could have done it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Newbuild?

Newbuild?

yes we are here three years and the ftth cabinets went up about two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

feelpablo wrote: »
    yes we are here three years and the ftth cabinets went up about two years ago

There is no such thing as FTTH cabinets.

FTTC (VDSL) is supplied from cabinets.

FTTH is supplied directly from the exchange and the drop line into your home is connected to a small black distribution point box on a pole or in a manhole.

Also, how long the premise is there doesn't matter for FTTH. What matters is, when the Eircode was allocated to your premise and if and when the builder or developer has submitted the plans and paperwork to the HEU Unit at OpenEIR.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There is no such thing as FTTH cabinets.

FTTC (VDSL) is supplied from cabinets.

FTTH is supplied directly from the exchange and the drop line into your home is connected to a small black distribution point box on a pole or in a manhole.

Also, how long the premise is there doesn't matter for FTTH. What matters is, when the Eircode was allocated to your premise and if and when the builder or developer has submitted the plans and paperwork to the HEU Unit at OpenEIR.

/M

excuse my ignorance i hope you haven't been too offended

excuse my ignorance i hope you haven't been too offended

Well, if you don't want clarity, then just ignore my post. All I did was to explain to you, that you are mixing and matching and if you do that, you'll never get anywhere.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The rural fibre contract is supposed to include a mechanism for providing fibre to newbuilds that were not included in the original selection. You could try emailing Martin at Airwire and see if he knows more or can help. Failing that, you could write to Comreg and ask about the mechanism and how to avail of it.

By 'cabinet' do you mean a black box on a pole or a large green cabinet standing on the ground?

Ofcom

Comreg :) ... Ofcom won't give a r*** a***.

/M

Well, if you don't want clarity, then just ignore my post. All I did was to explain to you, that you are mixing and matching and if you do that, you'll never get anywhere.

/M

Thank you.

Im aware of the correct terms and as it was just a brief explaination to some one on a thread on boards i didnt feel i needed to clarify that the FTTH connection point on the telegraph pole was indeed not a cabinet.

I know I wont get any where anytime soon because this has been explained by all the relevant bodies and know also by yourself, again thank you.

Im aware of the correct terms and as it was just a brief explaination to some one on a thread on boards i didnt feel i needed to clarify that the FTTH connection point on the telegraph pole was indeed not a cabinet.

What you are referring to is a DP then.

The problem is, that if you use the wrong terms, you also make life harder for the next person, that gets it wrong. And the terms are constantly mixed up often resulting in, that people take the wrong approach solving their problem, because they either look for the wrong things or use the wrong terms.

That's why it's important to use the correct terminology.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭dam099

What you are referring to is a DP then.

The problem is, that if you use the wrong terms, you also make life harder for the next person, that gets it wrong. And the terms are constantly mixed up often resulting in, that people take the wrong approach solving their problem, because they either look for the wrong things or use the wrong terms.

That's why it's important to use the correct terminology.

/M

You are totally correct but its a shame that ISP's haven't always been adhering to this, their overuse of the "fibre" term for marketing advantage has contributed to the confusion.

Advertisement