Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think my quotes were about fast fashion and how damaging it is but whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

the woman killed in the ifsc by a 15 yr old scrote

That was an appalling incident that did not get the coverage it should have in the media.

Had she been an Irish woman the reaction would have been as it should be. I have no doubt about that.

I agree. It's utterly bizarre it was just ignored by the media. If it was a white middle class Irish woman it would have been a totally different story, but it was just a Mongolian cleaner, so sad. He was in court today, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah as someone said you keep well away from those places if you can , pity croke park wasnt knocked and built on a greenfield site in kildare or athlone. its not nice having to go in around there to matches. very odd that the government hasnt cleared more of the area around the IFSC for offices and gentrified it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We need a new Capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Dublin City Council set the heights for buildings other city's have 12 storey apartment blocks , builders have to design around the regulations height restrictions etc

I find the atmosphere strange at the moment because theres so many business, s and cafes closed, so many empty offices, but its not frightening and no tourists around at all

theres probably someone in a UK forum right now posting London Liverpool Glasgow etc is awful

There are tourists in Dublin, unless all those Americans in the city doing touristy stuff actually live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

There is a gang of very young criminals who often hang out in the Wolf Tone Street area, near the Church pub and Pennys. Last time I personally saw them attacking the persons working in the Asian grocery on Mary Street with the steel part of the seats of their bicycles (they had them hidden under the sleeves of their jackets)

I live between Jervis and Smithfield. I am coming from the south of Europe, yet I do not see any relevance with this thread. Please stop pestering anytime I write something

• Advertisement

Actually it's entirely relevant as most cities are the same in terms of crime,with different variations on specific types of crime.

For example given Southern Europe covers a wide area, you could be from Albania or Italy for example where the level of street crime might be comparable, but levels of corruption are higher, or from some rural area with no experience of city living.

Also it is a discussion site, not a blog people discus things, like the attack you highlighted just off O'Connell Street then dropped like a hot snot when it turned out that the accused were from Eastern Europe.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

"Also it is a discussion site, not a blog people discus things" what a comment (!) Please report the post if you think these problems should not be discussed, but do not pester on a personal level

I must have been away too long, but if anything, I find Dublin a bit boring and bland... far from unlivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Not pestering, as I said it is a discussion site not a blog or conspiracy theory circle jerk site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Dante

I was in the city centre for the first time in over a year last week, couldn't believe how grim it was. The areas around Talbot Street, O Connell Street and Henry Street in particular have deteriorated so much. Rubbish absolutely everywhere, gangs of dodgy teens in trackies loitering around the place and loads of junkies wandering around aggressively heckling for money.

I know these areas have always been a bit shít, but don't remember them being anywhere near this bad before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was on Henry street last week too and there was no rubbish. DCC are constantly cleaning there. I see these types of posts on boards.ie about "rubbish everywhere" sometimes on the same day I'm in the city. What time of the day were you there?

Is that true? Most homeless people I hear in Dublin have Dublin accents, and all junkies.

I think you are right that it is being underplayed but not for the reasons you seem to imply. It was an attack that could easily have been seen as a racist attack - white on non-white. Generally the media would report that.

In Ireland though a form of political correctness about the inner city has grown up to make them victims, overriding other concerns.

While O'Connel street isn't great for a supposed Main Street -- it isn't really, Grafton street is the main shopping street -- its not as bad as people say. Henry street is just a busy street which is a little worse for wear these days. Talbot street can be a zoo, but lots of European cities have strange areas close to city centre train stations, for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

As you see from others' comments the matter is serious. I have asked you to please stop pestering and you are still coming up with this vulgar expressions. I won't even reply, but please ignore me and stop harassing at any of my comments

I'm not harrasing you, I've asked you questions to base where you're comparison of Dublin with every other European city is coming from, when the data and personal knowledge does not back it up.

If you feel that people questioning you or my questions on your statements or my accurate comments on how you suddenly don't want to discuss an attack you highlighted as how bad Dublin and the Irish are are, as soon as it turned out the accused weren't Irish but from another European country, are in any way harassment, feel free to report them.

I suddenly what? Give your opinions as you want but ignore me. Stop going personal and harassing at any comment

You opened a thread stating that Dublin is worse than any European city in terms of crime and drugs, which the data does not not support.

You have ignored posters and accused myself and another poster who asked you questions of harassment just because we asked you questions, like where you are from to get an idea of the comparison you are making.

You have claimed harassment or ignored anyone who pointed out to you that the attack just off O'Connell you highlighted as an example of how bad Dublin and the Irish are was actually carried out by people who aren't from Ireland, but are from another European country.

Again I am not harassing you, I am simply stating facts. If you feel that facts and people asking you questions are harassment feel free to report and let the Mods decide.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Instead of addressing the issue, it is preferred to attack the person who tries to raise awareness on a serious public matter; I am not surprised given stories of whistleblowers

Again someone stating a fact or asking a question is not attacking or harassing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Have a far better life in one of Manchester's better areas, Liverpool and Manc people are far sounder and friendlier than arrogant Dubliners whom I've never considered to be 'proper Irish people', Piccadilly Gardens in the city centre has gone to pot with all the Dublin style stuff but keep away from there and the Northern half of the city and you're grand.

Dublin has that capital city attitude that afflicts London and Paris, a self absorbed centre of the universe mentality which is paradoxically insular and parochial at the same time but can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not unlivable but perhaps getting there.

its however not as nice to live in as it was. You do now get a sense everywhere in Dublin, greater and suburban areas that the city has become overpopulated, overcrowded, over busy, over clogged and overburdened . In traffic, on public transport, in shops, hospitals / healthcare environments...

From memory about 26% of the country live in the greater Dublin area. That’s was according to the CSO numbers...

there is about 1.12 population growth in Dublin per year. About 9 years and Dublin’s population grows about 10%.

quite simply the population issue needs to be sorted... as we know already it’s not down to people having bigger families.

OK. There you go. I hope after my answers you will stop pestering at any single comment I make

- I lived in Birmingham (UK) for two years (roughly the same size as Dublin) and the city centre is, from my personal direct experience, a paradise when compared to Dublin city centre

-I am from Madrid and I have always spoken objectively about Dublin and I have not referred to the different nationalities of persons involved (see any of my previous posts)

-I see the game you are playing in looking for Eastern European to accuse and put the blame on. It is as if I wrote that the people I saw attacking the Asian shop were locals; that that recent abominable act of throwing a woman under the Dart train was done by a coward gang of locals (who, strangely, were not brought to justice), or that a local under 15 last April stabbed to death a Mongolian woman at the IFSC. What would be the point in making this 'nationalities' game?

- I am just a parent constantly concerned with the safety of her children. Now I expect you to start throwing s***t on Spain and Madrid, because I understand the game you want to play: generalize to say that everything is normal here; well, my humble opinion, it is not

(Please stop pestering now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Advertisement