Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Nice try but you're going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Obviously not nearly enough according to this thread. It's actually unliveable if you were to believe people here!

Maybe better it should be better spent. Seems to be unlivable for some and they can't wait to leave. Are there similar threads on Cork, Limerick or Galway?

That seems to be the case on this thread, however, in reality millions of people live in Dublin and love it. I do not know one person living in Dublin that hates it and I know a huge amount of people living here from all over the country and further.

Destitute people from all over the country flood to the city. Irish or non Irish. It's a lot easier to be homeless in Dublin than it is to be homeless in Ballaghaderren. There's a bigger underbelly in cities to feed addicts and users and thus the facilities are put in place to look after them. As I pointed out already, nowhere in Ireland has been worse affected by Covid than Dublin. A contagious disease will always hammer more populated areas than less populated areas. Hundreds of businesses have closed and the lifeline of the city, people are affected. They're avoiding the city centre and the wretches are the ones left.

Major investment in Dublin is needed. Billions of Euro need to be poured in to the city to rejuvenate and recreate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They are avoiding the city center because a good chunk of it is just not that safe now and no one wants just the risk of any hassle or harassment. When you have gangs of scrotes hanging around everywhere what is to be expected?

What the council has done through it's own policies is turn the city center in to a bigger version of Ballymun because they have been housing society's ills in there and continue to move more in while private renters are leaving. It's not only the council. Housing associations are building on sites as well exclusively social housing.

This is not the right way to go obviously. Once you move those people in of course the really bad tenants are reflected in the behaviour you see on the streets.

Most cities are gentrifying their centers for these reasons and to improve things for locals visitors or shoppers but Dublin seems to be going the opposite direction.

I just find the state it atm sad really as a born and bred Dub. It's not what it should be.

I'm from the city centre and lived in the North inner city for a good portion of my life, I was educated to third level in the city centre. I still spend a good bit of time in the city centre and when I'm not traveling to other wonderful parts of the country I'd spend a lot of Saturdays in the city centre with the kids, particularly around Henry St., Capel St area.

I volunteered in a troubled part of the city for three years in the capacity of a youth sports club secretary with hands on dealings with kids, some of whom have very scary backgrounds from Dublin to Bosnia.

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

there are bad things about Dublin. I wouldn’t walk around the north inner city at night for example. However, I have been to over 30 countries and have found that quite a large number of them are less safe than Dublin. I have had a knife put to my throat in Amsterdam. This is a city that many would think is safe. I still love Amsterdam though and have been back since. I have also been robbed in numerous other places. Not in Dublin though. Dublin is a city and that is going to come with some problems. However, it is a nice place to live. Lovely parks, some nice museums/art galleries, nice cinemas(the Stella for instance), nice beaches. You can easily live in Dublin without a car and that is not something you can say for most of ireland

And do you find it unliveable? Or do you think it's fine and no further investment is needed to sort out the problems?

You're obviously a hard working member of society and your property tax is being redirected to another part of the country that doesn't have these problems. Investment does work, I've seen it work first hand on the ground. A metro police force starting at the base problem (supply) along with support for addicts will have a very very quick result. A tough transport police with powers (instead of security guards terrified of being sued) will transform public transport and make it a safe place for regular people.

Support for addicts sounds airy fairy, but done properly with incentives and appropriate punishments supported by a crack team of cops will bring big changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I do to be fair. Over 60s usually.

I think the Work from Home dynamic will see a lot of professionals leaving Dublin.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Dublin city centre is like something from a zombie movie. I don't think the Dubs (if they are honest) like going into the city centre anymore.

I can only see it getting worse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

As a Dub, I like visiting the city centre. Plenty of my fellow friends and family including non Dubliners and non Irish do too.

To be honest, some of the stories regaled here are over the top and obviously trying to paint the Capital in the worst way they can for whatever infantile reasons they have. Maybe they're cleverly exaggerating to bring further investment in to the city or maybe they're just silly spoofers.

But, your concern for the capital is good and it further raises the fact that the common sense of the people of the country, not only the city realise that massive incentives and investment needs to be poured in to the primary city. Your prediction of it only getting worse further cements the facts that it's under funded and needs tax money earned in the city to go to the city for major improvements for it's citizens.

Eh they leave all the time as soon as they get the chance and head up to Dublin or further, be it for jobs, despite Cork and Galway having a fair share of multinational companies to work for, or just to get away from the small towns small minds attitudes that some of the rural Irish are famous for.

Personally I am lucky where I am, the majority of the neighbours work in Dublin and farm part time. We did have issues with one local farmer who thought it was fine for their teenage kids to drive their quad and scramblers on other people's land and to terrorise a retired lady who moved last holloween by discharging shotguns at the back of her house while throwing fireworks at the front of it because she called the Gardaí about them trespassing and destroying her garden, but that's sorted out for now at least.

Before moving to where I am now, I was living in the city centre just off Parnell Street after moving back up from Galway. I loved the fact that if I want to see a move or go for a meal or a pint then they were all available on my door step or public transport available practically straight away if I wanted to go a little further. The only downside was I didn't like was living in an apartment block and never really have as I like to play music etc as loud and as late as I want.

Cities in Europe have better utilisation of their buildings, my flat in Lille for example was the first floor above a bakery and to get to my flat you had to go through the it. My flat in Frankfurt was the second floor above a bar.

I am where I am now because my wife got offered her dream job with a CC outside Dublin and I wanted to leave apartment living and living in a estate with the whole housing committee thing isn't for me either as the type of people who are involved in them annoy the hell out of me from past experience.

But I can see myself perhaps moving back to the city centre when we retire if we can get a house and not an apartment.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Most people working for multinational companies already worked from home a few days a week pre covid in my experience. Personally since 2017 I went to the office once a week or sometimes once a month, just to show my face and have a long lunch with a few of the team, which has obviously stopped altogether now.

So apart from some indigionous Irish companies who have the usual workers aren't to be trusted attitude, most people working for a good company were already working from home part of the week. This isn't going to change much in my opinion post covid given the lack of housing stock and public transport being what it is outside of Dublin and employers who want their staff back in the office full time or even for two days a week

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

With more working from home there is and will be a move back to areas outside Dublin. Once you pass a certain age Dublin quickly looses its charm (or what might be called that)

I said “no English person believes that” ie that Dublin is a British city

Your dictionary definition says nothing about Dublin either.

Victoria was popular across the country but that’s because people like royalty, not necessarily empire.

and Dublin was 2nd city of the empire when Britain had lost its first empire. A few decades at most.

For those with a bit of a chip on their shoulders about it that might be the case.

I've a mate who moved back to the Dingle area a couple of years ago when his dad was diagnosed with cancer and is currently working for a company based in Tralee. His dad unfortuatly passed away in 2019 and he can't wait to move back up to Dublin.

Most move to the Dublin suburbs and still visit the city frequently. I live in a coastal urban village on the Northside and I'm surrounded by people from all over Ireland and further. They love Dublin, they love living in Dublin and wouldn't move home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I've to tell my GF to avoid a huge swathe of the city at certain times. Basically the whole Northside from the quays to Drumcondra/Fairview.

Great to see the guards being called out on their Iack of action. That is not the full problem but they certainly pick and choose what crimes they deal with and where they police at certain times.

It's not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ah this rubbish gets spouted all the time and annoys me.

Only last week I had visitors(one a 12 year old girl)who did not know Dublin. Took them on Dart. Off at Tara St, walked down quays to Samuel Beckett Bridge, crossed it back up along IFSC, famine memorial, Custom House, down O'Connell St, Henry St, Mary St. After lunch crossed Ha'penny Bridge, Temple Bar, up to Dublin Castle (free admission now till end of year), then Grafton St, Stephen's Green and back to Pearse Station for Dart home.

They both loved it and liked the history and architecture of the city and want to go back. Only "rough" element was a couple of drunks on the Boardwalk and you get that in every city.

We saw thousands of people walking around, all quiet normal and this notion that the place is dominated by drug addicts or is dangerous is complete anti-Dublin nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Reflects very badly on our police force , this is a rich developed country where the police are well paid

It's not Venezuela or Haiti where a vast number of people have no legitimate options other than crime, there is no excuse for out of control anti social behaviour, its a policing problem

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well I'm there almost daily and I also don't get all this sensationalist reporting from people posting online about it being like Sodom and Gomorrah. Would I expect to see some addicts around parts of the Northside? Yes, and that's very sad to see, but they are generally harmless lost souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

To make the matter particularly serious, are above all, the young gangs, occasionally you can find them and the Luas red line seems to take them everywhere

But, also, I don't agree on the 'harmless' lost souls. And I am a religious person, volunteer for years, and I usually give offers when I can. 

Probably if you are a man they may fear your reaction. There are certainly good-hearted ones too, of course the largest majority. But others can become truly threatening when you refuse to give them changes. Go, for example, for a walk at Croppies Acre Memorial Park (benches in the middle of the park) or in the Ormond Building area, at Wolfe Tone Street, etc. 

In fact, I have been threatened in places that seem ‘quiet’, like in front of the Capuchin Church on Mary Street. Another time, I was heavily insulted at the playground in Smithfield Market Square as I asked not to smoke weed with children around. See: places that everyone would think are harmless

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's two extremes here. The Dubs (who feel compelled to defend their city) claiming there's nothing to see here and any "rough" element is immaterial or just poor lost harmless souls! Others then making out Dublin is akin to the night of the living dead with marauding gangs of zombies on the streets.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Dublin is grand but that's about it.

Well some are so used to iit they don't see the problems that outsiders do. I mean when an Olympic martial arts champion can't go out without getting beaten up it's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember reading rural Ireland is even fatter somewhere because of their car dependency, and bad fashion is hardly unique to Dublin, it's a countrywide thing!

I suppose if you're happy here and have no problems with being in the city centre, it's hard to know what we're supposed to say in these threads. I recognise there's a drugs and homeless problem, and this is down to government policies among other things.

What do you want us to do? Just keep apologising for the fact that some people don't like the place?

If you think Dublin's bad, visit non-tourist rural areas in Ireland, you can play a "spot the skinny person" game.

That's a bit of a red herring. I'm sure he's been out in Dublin plenty of times before without being beaten up.

• Advertisement

Surely the dart goes to the coastal urban NS villages.

Advertisement