Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A section of the inner city has visible addicts exchanging pills and heroin from my experience. I work on the Southside though and its a different world. Avoid the parts you dont like like any city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The laws changed as the were unconstitutional. People have a constitutional right to beg. The majority of beggars aren't from Dublin but as the main financial engine of the country they come here. Dublin is a victim of the countries success and has to deal with more social issues than the rest of the country. Essentially you are victim blaming for a problem stemming from other parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I would agree to an extent i think it has to do with the breed of person that lives in around some of the north inner city, for every kellie harrington theres probably 9 scumbags who dont want to partake in irish society, dont want to partake in education or work no matter what chances they are given. i dont buy this crap of people around there being not given a chance, its bull, theres a large proportion of that cohort that are very insular looking and have a chip on their shoulder and totally ignorant of anything outside of inner city. They actually make the roughest culchie look cosmopolitan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin City Center is a national embarrassment whoever is responsible.

It's just not run properly and there have been catastrophic policy mistakes (the concentration of addiction clinics in the city center being the most obvious), maintenance is very poor, lack of gardai, concentration of poverty in social housing estates circling the core...no one can be surprised it's the playground it is.

If you're a tourist arriving on O'Connell Street (supposedly the main street) you are not going to feel safe around there. Parts of the southside are a bit better but a few ok areas on the southside is not going to save the city's reputation.

The problems are caused by hopeless incompetence and it just gets worse every year. It's being hollowed out.

Local businesses have been blue in the face for years warning the government that this is not really acceptable in a capital city because ultimately it weighs heavily on the reputation of the country as a whole as well and it damages their businesses. If people don't feel comfortable going in, tourists don't feel safe and businesses refuse to locate there because of what they see and experience it damages everything.

Yeah it's not as bad as you want it to be, you seem to get off on this stuff, whatever you're into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What's an addiction clinic and where are they ?

You can be flippant about it all you like. It's your capital city. If you are happy with the state of it and it's trajectory then more power to you.

It won't change it's trajectory until enough of the population start caring about it. And enough don't unfortunately.

The guy goes on about Dublin and how awful it is all the time, if he's not posting threads picking on Dublin single mothers. The snobbery in Ireland truly is disgusting at times.

I'd rather have my eyes wide open to reality than be a robotic apologist for the ills in the country. That's not snobbery.

You want to look down on people. You show no evidence of compassion or understanding. You're 100% a snob and you're doing this because you're lacking something in yourself. Well done Kermit.

• Advertisement

I don't look down on anyone. I clearly want to see improvements to the city and to stop it's decline which is terminal with the path it's on.

Can you really say when you walk on O'Connell St or Parnell Street or Abbey Street or Henry Street or the boardwalk or wherever that it's fine? That there is no problem here?

Because you are the only one who does not see the serious problems if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭markw7

I'd rather a realist like him than a 'can't we all just get along' type. The scum in this country need to pay back the rest of society and then some. To feck with all this broken home shite - be a man, raise your kids, get a job and pay your way. Oh and clean your room as Peterson says, personal responsibility has evaporated in some sections of society.

so if you were sexually abused and came from a broken home like nearly all heroin addicts do, you'd be fine, there'd be no chance of you going wayward and you wouldn't expect any help?

When I said feck all this broken home shite, I meant it in relation to excuses put before judges for softer sentences for career criminals. If I was abused by a family member I would prob be already dead in fairness, I'm a realist not heartless!

Can you point to a statistic that confirms that 'nearly all' heroin addicts have been sexually abused?

I'm not able to refute because I don't know but that claim seems remarkable.

They do have a point though in relation to drug addicts, you're probably seriously messed up if you resort to sticking a needle in your arm. Slow suicide I think of it as.

I work with homeless addicts , the amount of them have historical trauma is astonishing . Couldn't for the life of me give a you a statistic .

It's unusual to find a homeless\rough sleeping addict without a trauma.

Trauma, yes.

But the poster specifically mentioned 'nearly all' have experienced sexual abuse.

Which seemed a bit a odd.

No I can't find one from Ireland, but there's a Dr called Gabor Mate who has done extensive studies with addicts in Vancouver who speaks about this frequently, and there are lots of papers from other countries if you look for them discussing the link between childhood trauma and addictions. Apologies though it's not just sexual, other forms of child abuse too. Just look at the kids in town being screamed at in their faces by their parents, you see it all the time in town, they really don't have much of a chance of being a properly functioning adult. Just imagine having to grow up in those horrible environments and how you might have turned out.

A significant amount have experienced sexual abuse , I couldn't give you a number , but I've completed a lot of referrals for a lot of individuals for support .

• Advertisement

It's also worth having look into trauma as the event and addiction as the symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

This comment is probably one of the most stupidest comments I have seen. Addiction is a terrible thing and if people need help (no matter where they are) they should have access to this. I would hope some of my taxes go towards helping those who want help.

There are plenty of documentaries, shows, a few on Netflix, etc. that outline the plight of addiction in society. Even the opiod epidemic in the US.

As asked before, would you mind telling us where you are from for a fair contrast?

I lived in Dublin for years and now live in the Scandics and even here there are places in and around the city you do not go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you have been raised in a dysfunctional family the chances of it involving sexual abuse is extremely high. Even without that the basic human decency and compassion from people raised in abusive homes is mostly down to never experiencing enough. You might as well be asking them to read an ancient language as asking them to behave the way those without those experience to act.

I went to school with this guy who was an absolute violent bully he had attacked several teachers too. They didn't expel him and he also had the snot kicked out of him several times by people he tried to bully. Didn't change and eventually dropped out in 2nd year of secondary at 14. Nobody missed him and were glad he was gone. Year later in my 20s I see him and he is a complete junkie and mention it to an old class mate. Turns out his mother (alcoholic) died 2 years after he was born. He was way younger than his siblings so by 7 it was just him and his father. His father beat him daily and sexually abused him, common knowledge around where he lived but his father was a raging alcoholic with a long violent history so nobody did anything.

To expect him in that environment to come out a decent human being is akin to saying magic is real. He had no reference points. He was a victim and believed to survive others had to be victims of him. Without any help how would you expect to act the same as somebody raised in a stable household?

Don't get me wrong he needed to be in prison for some time as he was a dangerous person but he needed rehabilitation while there and got none. It isn't like you can put him down like he is a vicious dog that was abused. Do we just lock him up and throw away the key proving his life experience that nobody cares about him as a human?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i dont know I suppose you have to try to rehabilitate those people but until they are proven to be rehabilitated you lock them up and keep them locked up, someone like that if not locked up would only breed more like him, its a vicous circle. Maybe someone like that would be a candidate for sterilisation.its this multi generational, self fulfilling prophecy of crime and violence we need to get at the root of that.

In your lifetime isn't for all time. We do spend a lot of money on drug services for addicts as it happens, and not much seems to work. There's very little rehabilitation forced on the addicts, and rehabilitation can't happen without the will of the addict to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Dublin City Manager should, as a condition of employment live in the City Centre. Not Merrion Square or Stephen's Green, but you know, the inner city. That might wake him and his cocooned staff up to the reality of life in the core city centre now.

I'd say he cannot get on his bicycle quick enough every day to get out of Dodge, never having left the bunker to see the reality around him all day every day. Doesn't even have to leave his eyerie since he will get subsidised lunch, and can shop online ha ha.

It's easy to dismiss the reality if you only see reports and plans on paper. Am feckin delighted the injection centre on Merchant's Quay was refused. More of the same please as the CC is definitely the wrong place for such facilities, as we have learned to our cost over the years.

I haven't been in the city since Covid, and have absolutely no desire to go there anymore. Dublin itself is delightful with the sea and the mountains and nice Georgian architecture. But there are ways to get to these beautiful places that are within 20 mins by swerving to avoid the badlands in the CC. But it should not be necessary for anyone to have to think like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

Most people really don’t have a problem with the junkies and homeless with addiction issues and are usually unfortunate souls

its the little feral scum that hang around in groups and intimidate and abuse people that usually can’t stand up for themselves are what’s bringing the city down . The guards should be all over those little pricks

and before anyone says “ oh they don’t intimidate me, you are very sheltered “etc etc , that’s **** all good to the woman killed in the ifsc by a 15 yr old scrote or the woman pushed under the Dart by the cowards a couple of months back

they are the problem , probably coked up, not the junkies

Totally, the teenagers are far worse. And I feel they are more dangerous than in the past, these days. But that might be me getting older.

I walk through Dublin City generally not noticing junkies, background noise of a city to me. Some people not from Dublin I know can be intimidated though.

They're not worse, if anything they're nowhere near as bad, I had a relative killed by two of them in the 90s, totally unprovoked. I remember Dublin being far rougher in the 90s, you wouldn't walk around any of the flats back then, now you can no bother.

I think people see clips on Dublin Live and read stories on the internet and think it's Cape Town, everything has been sensationalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

What a wonderful post to come from an account that has repeatedly denigrated people who buy clothes in Pennys

Advertisement