Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

how are people from Dublin not "proper Irish", whatever that means? Kellie Harrington, Robbie Keane, Brian O'Driscoll, John Giles, Liam Brady... I could go on and on, all great Irish sporting heroes, they're not Irish or what? Never understood this not real Irish thing that people from the rest of Ireland say.

You are talking shte saying I am looking to blame an Eastern European person, they have been arrested for the attack you highlighted as how terrible Dublin and the Irish are.

I have never been to Madrid, but I can look up the stats easily, from talking to Spanish people who work with me they think it's nicer than Dublin, but more to do with parks and public transport etc than crime. I have been to Barcelona and found it comparable in ways to Dublin As for playing games I don't need to as again the stats are online.

I have been to Birmingham many times and can say it's certainly worse than Dublin in parts

As for the safety of your kids they are probably more in danger of not currently being vaccinated if to young than being attacked on the street But if you do feel unsafe you can always move to another area of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

I know that there is freedom of opinion and it is important to note something when it is in the interests of the safety of our children. Yet, I don't know the statistics. And I think the statistics show only what the police prosecuted as a crime, and in all the incidents that I have witnessed this has never happened. 

For example, I doubt that heroin users who leave syringes any single day on the central bench in the middle of the park in front of the National Museum, and most of the time harass passers by, are included in the statistics.

Then there are the more serious and shameful episodes, in front of which I trust you would agree we should all be indignant

Pretending not to see does not solve the problem. Episodes like, just to mention some recent of the last months:

The DPP prosocute crimes in Ireland not the Gardaí

No one is pretending that there isn't drug addicts or fights, no more than no one is pretending Madrid has its own drug and gang problems, same as most cities and large towns.

But it is obvious that some people like to think that it's worse than it is for some reason given that our last offices were in Marlborough Street and no one ever had any issues around the area including at night. You would have more chance of having a problem in the area in the 80s and 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The country is ran by bleeding heart liberals, hence the location of methadone clinics in important city centre areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Bet these do gooders do not live anywhere near the drug treatment centres themselves. It's like the Traveller issue, those who laud them (and I know they are not ALL bad), would not live beside them, but expect everyone else to do so in the name of equality. Feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would say that most of the trouble that has been caused in Dublin over the lifetime of this pandemic has been done by teenage gangs who have been causing anti-social behaviour in the city & suburbs and the anti-vaxxers who have been having loads of protest marches on weekends around Dublin City Centre. They are the individuals that the Gardai need to monitor on a constant basis at this point when this pandemic has died off for most of us as we get back into normality. There are a huge amount of scumbags within those large groups of people that have acted in a hugely self-entitled manner throughout this pandemic. I could take a here guess here in saying all of those individuals who have been causing the most trouble around our capital city up to now could be hit with the Delta variant as they aren't vaccinated against Covid.

However; I do not know how big the spread of the virus has gotten into them.

OTOH; if the trend of the delta variant here in Dublin spreads onto innocent people from all of the scumbags who have known themselves to break the public health guidelines up to now; well then that ignorance should be regarded by large swathes of Irish society, who are completely innocent in the eyes of the law, as disgusting behaviour and a huge slap in the face to our brilliant people who are working in our health service.

The Dept of Justice need to propose & implement more permanent anti-crime measures immediately to keep these scumbags off the streets of our capital city. One of 1st measures that should be implemented as Covid dies off is a Dublin Transport Police. And then there should be more stricter laws available from our government in stamping out vandalism, knife crime, drugs, anti-social behaviour so that people who live in our capital city should be able to live safely once again. Innocent people who are living in Dublin City Centre are sick of living through the anti-social crap that has been taking place for over a year and a half & they want to get back to normality as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Location of methadone clinics is decided by the HSE , the two main ones are Trinity Court and Amiens Street , located originally as supports to the huge amount of city centre addicts.

After that most are satellite clinics , NCR ,Broombridge , Tolco and so on ,17 in total I think.After that various chemists dispense all over the city and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Dub here and imo it's a great place to live and raise a family. Its not perfect but like all EU capitals it has good and bad points. The anti-social issues we have could be down to lower gardai numbers as there was a moratorium on recruitment after the financial crash. Also, our population has increased by over 1million in the past 20 years without a corresponding increase in garda numbers. Anyone coming here for work in recent years might find it different to their original hometown which may be more heaviliy policed and probably with an armed police force. I'm not sure if this country wants to go down that road but I could be wrong. The info on the attached shows we're below the ratio of police to citizens of many other EU capitals. https://www.statista.com/chart/16515/police-officers-per-100000-inhabitants-in-the-eu/

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Regarding the knacker problem in Dublin city centre, this is a direct result of our far too liberal social welfare programs. There is no onus on these families to become tax paying regular members of society.

God that’s appalling. They probably attacked him for looking “flamboyant”. Neanderthals.

a lot of these crimes are hate crimes. Legislation that took a about a few dozen people off the street, possibly hate crime legislation, would be a good idea.

if people can’t go outside in the city then something has to be done. I’m living in a cocoon myself in a safe suburb.

i get the impression that where you live is pretty bad. And people are being pretty defensive in their posts when you say it.

If you are to stay in Dublin I’d suggest a few stops away on the dart, either direction, is a lot nicer.

spain seems like a safer society to me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'll explain as best I can the view from the alternative Capitals. Dublin was seen as the second city of the British Empire and the seat of its Government here. The 'Jackeen' title comes from the huge welcome given to Victoria when she visited Dublin. Dubliners stood waving their little Union Jacks along all the streets. Dublin by virtue of its position near Britain has and had large numbers of British living there and the to and fro brought them into close contact giving it an Anglo feel. No wonder some English I've met see Dublin as a 'British' city not unlike Manchester or Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Those "English" you met that felt Dublin was like a British city , that must have been a riveting conversation.

No English person thinks that. Victoria was welcomed everywhere on her trip. That history lesson aint great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ah it's just a random act of feral violence. Happens every day around there. He's just another victim.

I’m willing to believe that the centre has gotten worse. Since covid I’ve visited only a few times and in daylight so I didn’t notice. But for her own peace of mind I’d suggest leaving the city centre. It’s really night and day just a kilometre north or south.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The highest concentration of British people living in Ireland is Cork. In fact it's well documented that the present queen of England was enchanted by Cork and the warm welcome she got in cork. Union jacks everywhere. And she's right, it's a fantastic city and county. Presently Dublin is nothing like Liverpool or Manchester, if you've been to either city or if you knew your capital you'd be aware of this. Dublin, culturally has a much more European feel to it than either of the cities in England you mention.

Dublin is one of the 10 most liveable cities for Europeans. Copenhagen in Denmark and Bern in Switzerland rank joint first while The Hague in the Netherlands and Geneva in Switzerland are joint third. Stavanger in Norway rounds out the top five.

Know your country, know your capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

My main issue with Dublin is the Roma Gypsy scum who every afternoon take over North Early Street right across to the spire, its a pandemic in itself.

• Advertisement

Very little Romania in Dublin in comparison to other Southern & Eastern European cities. If the ones in Dublin scare you do your due diligence before you book a city break in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Littering the place, kinds running a muck, they do be drinking crates of beers on the corner of O Connell street every evening awaiting the free meals outside the GPO.

The welfare of them roma kids is a elephant in the room for the state too, they are leeches to the city be it begging/scamming or thieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see Fianna Fàil are calling for Garda management to take a serious look at policing in the city center.

How many times have we heard this before?

Sure, there was some superintendent or something speaking at a committee a few months back saying the numbers and visibility were fine.

It's obvious from all your posts that the Capital has been neglected, the money it makes has been flooding out of the city for decades now. Billions every year to build motorways, roads and to service the rest of the country in benefits and various other incentives.

It's time for a metropolitan police force, money to be pumped in to an underground and improved public transport (Dublin has the least subsidised public transport in Europe compared to other capital cities), we need a transport police force and Metro North needs to be prioritised. Nowhere in the country has been affected by covid as much as the Capital. Tax money needs to be pumped back in to the city to open it up properly.

When this happens, you'll all see a massive improvement in the city and you'll be happy.

dublins public transport is the best in the country. That’s not the reason.

Dublin is the biggest city with the most concentrated population. Of course it's the best, it should be. London's is the best in England, Paris has the best in France etc... just because it's the best in the country doesn't mean it doesn't need to be better.

Various chemists dispense country wide including ironically Templemore.

Some of our Corkonian members (among others) like to think that they don't have an issue with heroin and other drugs either but that would be possibly due to the famous Dublin chip on their shoulders.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

In fairness I think Lille (apart from the skin heads) is a nicer city than Paris in a lot of ways in terms of living.

• Advertisement

The mad thing, in some people's minds, about the Swiss is their provision of actual heroin and methadone to registered addicts rather than methadone only schemes, like the ones here and the U. K. etc. But it has reduced the associated crime rates where tried

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/why-the-swiss-hand-out-heroin-1.361929

Advertisement