Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭growleaves

Suggest you try flattery and an intimate smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Is that your best argument? I wrote it very calmy actually. Just pointing out the future consequences of not getting vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭User1998

For most people the consequences will only be a runny nose, if even

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Do you even read the posts you are replying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd be interested to see if any of the people selling East Asia's mask 'culture' have ever actually been there, its not half as prevelant as people make out and its far more tied to smog levels than viruses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If someone wants to wear a mask after the pandemic is over, what is it to you? It's none of your business tbh.

If lots of people make that choice, it's also none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Before this all kicked off, around November ish 19 i was driving through town and there was a group of chinese people walking down the street with masks on. I thought to myself look at those eejits and here we are now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I don't see why the majority should do their bit and get vaccinated and a minority not bother and prolong this

And again you clearly have comprehension or reading issues - point out to me where I said anything against those who want to wear a mask.

In dirty cities like Beijing, masks are worn generally for air quality reasons. In relatively clean cities like HK and Singapore, they are much less common to see and are only worn by those that are feeling a little poorly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Yes I have a problem with anyone suggesting that they become a permanent requirement in society, I have no issue with people who want to continue wearing one which is what you have stated in 2 separate posts, which I clearly did not say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where did anyone suggest they become a permanent requirement in society?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They also get worn when people are worried about infections. I remember a time here in Galway, maybe early February 2020, seeing people (Maybe Japanese/Chinesse) starting to wear masks in places like Tesco. This was well before Corona Virus was the top story in the daily news.

They aren't a permanent requirement in East Asian cultures either so why hate on Staines for saying that he hopes mask wearing becomes more acceptable, like it is there? Even on bad days in smoggy cities only a minority wear them over there.

We even have posters above saying they saw Chinese tourists wearing them at the start of the pandemic and he thought they looked like eejits. What Staines wants it that while not compulsory, it's socially acceptable to wear them post pandemic if you want to. No funny looks, no snide comments, or harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

If the safety of humanity is based on getting 100% of the population vaccinated why they don't make it mandatory? Why the governments don't make a statement like:

• The vaccine is safe and there are no side effects
    • Once we get 100% of the population vaxxed (including new born babies) we remove EVERY restriction and EVERY form of control

This constant goalpost shifting and a lack of a clear plan is what is making the difference. At the beginning was to save the vulnerable: so let's lock down 100% of the population to protect a 1%, then it was because the health system cannot cope with more than 300 people in ICU (and still nothing was done to improve this number), then the vulnerable got vaccinated but no, we need to get the entire adult population, now is not just the adult population but every single human being, tomorrow is because the new variant, and on and on and on....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Why can't we move on now? Other countries have

No he did not.

You accuse others of not reading properly.

Have a look in the mirror.

• Advertisement

He didn't say he hopes they become "acceptable" he said - "Mask wearing could be a permanent change in our behaviour like the Asian culture".

As I've repeatedly said to you over the last number of posts, I couldn't care less if you want to wear them post pandemic or not. Of course those who do should be absolutely free to do so without weird looks or comments, we can both agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Lesson one in having a discussion; using insults for those you disagree with is a direct path to being dismissed as wrong.

Unfortunately for you, the insults you level out against people you disagree with are more apt for yourself and your own own opinions. It comes across as unhinged and unworthy of taking seriously in the discussion on covid as it is so insulting, aggressive and ignorant.

To use your words, you are "stupid" and a "selfish, cowardly prick". Inventing strawmen to shout at is not helping make your points.

A permanent change in behaviour does not mean that you wear masks permanently. In fact he elaborated on the point beforehand and said he'd like to see an East Asian culture where that permanent change in behaviour happened 15 years ago but doesn't mean that masks were worn at all times in that part of the world.

"A shift to outdoor culture and more mask wearing and working from home are not bad things. Mask wearing could be a permanent change in our behaviour like the Asian culture,” he added."

Yeah....go fvck yourself Anthony.

Your quote.

Yes I have a problem with anyone suggesting that they become a permanent requirement in society, I have no issue with people who want to continue wearing one which is what you have stated in 2 separate posts, which I clearly did not say.

Please point out where Anthony Staines suggested masks become a permanent requirement in society?

Did you gather that from their bragging about it on social media? The point is that vaccinating healthcare workers, over 50s and vulnerable under 50s has directly lead to hospitals being at very manageable levels and deaths at 0, notwithstanding 1000+ cases per day. This has been the case for weeks. Vaccinating non-vulnerable under 50s, based on the HPSC data on covid in Ireland, would not have made much of a difference to the hospitalisation and death figures for the under 50s (as they are categorically at little to no risk of needing hospitalisation and at an effective mortality risk of 0). However, under 50s who wanted to be vaccinated have now gotten sorted. There is no data or science-based justification for continued restrictions unless there is a strategy to completely eradicate covid, in which case this has not been communicated to the public.

Yes, this virus that kills the same amount of people in Ireland as suicides and double that of road deaths, how awful that we may have to just live with it.

What the measures in New York are effectively doing and what you are calling for is a total ban on people from South American, African, Australian and some Asian countries from coming to the USA and Europe as they have poor vaccine uptakes. This would mean you and the city of NY want a total ban on people from these countries in their City/Country for at least a few months until they sort out their poor vaccination programmes. Cleverly hiding racism in covid restrictions, it's Donald Trump/far right stuff; you and the city of NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

What a hateful spiteful post, and that comes from a vaccinated person! By the way, it would never occur to me to ask anyone whether they had the vaccines or not, the same as I wouldn't ask anyone their religion. It's none of your business or mine! Is this what we are becoming?

People don't trust what they are being told anymore, and so most people are sick of all the restrictions at this stage, So, it's ok for politicans to attend a birthday party for 60, rules being followed of course, but they can't allow children to make their Communion or Confirmation in this "serious pandemic" in case their families get together? Double standards I think, it's a case of do as I say, not as I do. In the North yesterday, the first 500 young people in the queue for a vaccine got a festival ticket, I found that disgusting to be honest, maybe we will be bribed with an exotic holiday to encourage us to get a booster, I think not, it will be enough to to tell us we have another hurricane of cases on the way. 🤐 People here seem to want to get to 100% vaccinations for us to return to normal, even with that they would come up with another excuse, we're stuck I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It probably wasn't your intention, but you did say that you don't want to see masks "normalised". In effect, you've said that you want masks to remain unacceptable or exceptional, marginalising those who choose to wear them.

In sociological context, "normalise" means to make something unexceptional. It doesn't mean, "force it to be everywhere". Homosexuality in Ireland is normalised - in that if you're gay nobody cares anymore. It's normal, not exceptional But it doesn't mean everyone is forced to be gay or be involved in gay things.

Likewise, "normalising" mask wearing means that when you see someone wearing it on the street, you don't even give them a second glance. When your mate sticks on a mask before going inside and says, "I've got a cold", you barely even react.

As I say, it probably wasn't your intention to imply that you wanted to eradicate mask-wearing as a "thing", but you did imply it.

• Advertisement

This is a fallacy. The government have already communicated that vaccines do not lead to restrictions being eased. If this was the case, why are there restrictions on vaccinated people meeting together? Further, there is no official communication channel which has indicated that restrictions will be fully eased if enough people get vaccinated. To say otherwise is an assumption at this stage (it of course can change if the government releases a roadmap to fully easing like the UK has done).

Advertisement