Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite hot sauce?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the chipotle reminds me of standard brown sauce, with added heat and smokiness, if that makes sense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mr Bells have assured me that they will be getting Valentina hot sauce in soon.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

put an order in with Mic this week, got Inferno and Trouble in Trinidad, Inferno Jnr and they threw in a bottle of Inferno Light.

I had a little dab of the TiT and wow it's hot

I just tasted a smidgeon of this new one... La Anita extra hot.

Khaki colour, a thick texture, flavourful (lots of lemony and salty tastes) and a very sharp habanero burn.
    Very good!

EDIT: But possibly too hot for me, at least for regular use?
    Quite an after sting on the tongue, rather than the slow build... I'll see how it goes with food.

IMG-20210602-170406.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Mic's has 30% off at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sriracha is still the most versatile and simplest hot sauce.

Mix 50/50 with mayo or ketchup to get hot mayo / hot ketchup.

Squirt it onto any pizza to give the pizza a kick

Put it on eggs to kick start your day.

Add it to wraps and sandwiches to add heat.

And of course, add it to anything you are cooking.

I pick it up in Musgrave's - pack 12 big 785ml for €41

Not a hot sauce, but a naga chilli pickle. I love this stuff. Very hot!

IMG-20210701-180414.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

igCorcaigh wrote: »

IMG-20210701-180414.jpg
    Got some in bridge street a while back. Blows the head off ya! And very nice.

By the way I tried the rose Harissa, very curry like. Gone back to regular Harissa. Different brands may vary.
    And the dry Harissa in Dunnes is great sprinkled on pizza.

And finally, I've settled on the Carolina Reaper with black garlic. Yum, not using the Micks naga knockdown or voodoo any more. The Carolina is so much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

That naga is my ultimate fave. The place I buy said they were stopping production of it though . Wonder any truth in that

Oh I got a selection from Mic's for Father's Day last week.

It had
    • Inferno Extreme
    • Emerald Jalapeno
    • Dam Hot Wing Sauce
    • Chilli BBQ
    • Sweet Chilli

I've been using the Emerald Jalapeno on a few things and I really like it. I haven't opened the Inferno Extreme because I'm currently using Inferno and Trouble in Trinidad so no need to open it yet.

I made slow cooker pork ribs brushed with the Chilli BBQ, then slathered most of the rest of the bottle onto them to finish in the oven and they were totally devoured by three hungry men watching football. It was incredible.

I haven't used the wing sauce of the sweet chilli yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Making Carolina Reaper Blueberry sauce today. Will report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just looking at Mics Chilli website and voodoo reaper is €15, I got a delivery there last year and I bought around 4 or 5 bottles of various sauces including the voodoo reaper but there is no way I would of even paid €10 for one sauce, I think my total order might of been just over €20.

Has their prices went up that dramatically over the space of 15 months or so?

They're sold out of the chilli bbq at the moment so I might just try Avoca or one of the other stockists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Just looking at Mics Chilli website and voodoo reaper is €15, I got a delivery there last year and I bought around 4 or 5 bottles of various sauces including the voodoo reaper but there is no way I would of even paid €10 for one sauce, I think my total order might of been just over €20.

Has their prices went up that dramatically over the space of 15 months or so?

They're sold out of the chilli bbq at the moment so I might just try Avoca or one of the other stockists.

I ordered stuff 1st july 2020 they have gone up by about 50% since then, 3.50 / 5.00 for the normal and extreme, sweet chilli and chilli bbq 4.20 / 6.00 and the naga knockdown was 6.30 now 9.00.

Just thinking about it now, 3.50 was an absolute bargain, 5.00 is ok by me when I compare it to things like rebel or encona or Cholula.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    I ordered stuff 1st july 2020 they have gone up by about 50% since then, 3.50 / 5.00 for the normal and extreme, sweet chilli and chilli bbq 4.20 / 6.00 and the naga knockdown was 6.30 now 9.00.

Just thinking about it now, 3.50 was an absolute bargain, 5.00 is ok by me when I compare it to things like rebel or encona or Cholula.

5 or 6 quid is ok for a bottle of sauce but I'll not buying when it gone into double figures.

Just tried Avoca for the Chilli Bbq but no joy, there must be a massive demand for it. I did get the Damn Hot Wing sauce so must give that a try over the weekend.

5 or 6 quid is ok for a bottle of sauce but I'll not buying when it gone into double figures.

Just tried Avoca for the Chilli Bbq but no joy, there must be a massive demand for it. I did get the Damn Hot Wing sauce so must give that a try over the weekend.

Picado seem to have it, if you are dublin based, delivery is a bit steep unless you are ordering a few things. (never a bad time to get some achiote paste and chipotle in adobo sauce)

https://www.picadomexican.com/products/bbq-mics-chilli?_pos=1&_sid=e7c9c3644&_ss=r

Picado seem to have it, if you are dublin based, delivery is a bit steep unless you are ordering a few things. (never a bad time to get some achiote paste and chipotle in adobo sauce)

https://www.picadomexican.com/products/bbq-mics-chilli?_pos=1&_sid=e7c9c3644&_ss=r

Cheers for that, I'll pop in tomorrow and grab a couple of bottles and it's beside the Aprille chipper, their food was fab back in the day.

Cheers for that, I'll pop in tomorrow and grab a couple of bottles and it's beside the Aprille chipper, their food was fab back in the day.

At 3am after a load of pints!

Picado is excellent. Really good sauces et al and Masa flour. Tacos with hot sauce for dinner tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

IMG-20210701-180414.jpg

Great call! I bought that after watching a recipe from "Al's Kitchen" on YouTube. Very versatile ingredient!!

Also, two nice sauces I had recently were the Smokin' Bones spicy and the Memphis sauces they provide with their meal boxes.
    Not overly hot but very nice flavours with a bit of kick.

achiote paste

Oh! Is achiote paste worth trying?
    What is it like?

I was disappointed with the dried Epazote herb that I got a while back from Mr Bells here in Cork. Didn't really taste of much.

• Advertisement

By the way I tried the rose Harissa, very curry like. Gone back to regular Harissa. Different brands may vary.
    And the dry Harissa in Dunnes is great sprinkled on pizza.

Was that the Belazu rose harissa? I loved that. Don't know of any other brand.
    I will definitely look out for the Dunnes dry harissa. Thanks!

Oh! Is achiote paste worth trying?
    What is it like?

I was disappointed with the dried Epazote herb that I got a while back from Mr Bells here in Cork. Didn't really taste of much.

(I think I heard about this on this forum)

I've only really used it with this recipe

https://www.wahaca.co.uk/wahaca-famous-pork-pibil/

(I think I heard about this on this forum)

I've only really used it with this recipe

https://www.wahaca.co.uk/wahaca-famous-pork-pibil/

Thomasina Miers makes some delicious looking food.
    We could do with a Wahaca here.

That recipe looks very delicious.

What does the paste itself taste like? Sour?

Heroditas wrote: »
    Also, two nice sauces I had recently were the Smokin' Bones spicy and the Memphis sauces they provide with their meal boxes.
    Not overly hot but very nice flavours with a bit of kick.

Going to look out for those, where did you source them from?
    (It's like the dark web here, innit)

Was that the Belazu rose harissa? I loved that. Don't know of any other brand.
    I will definitely look out for the Dunnes dry harissa. Thanks!
    No, it's Al'fez rose Harissa.
    Love their normal Harissa.

And the dry Harissa is eat.art North African Harissa.exotic spice mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thomasina Miers makes some delicious looking food.
    We could do with a Wahaca here.

That recipe looks very delicious.

What does the paste itself taste like? Sour?

There's a great recipe for this by Robert Rodriguez on YouTube that I've done a few times but it uses annatto seeds to make your own paste.

I've done it as in the recipe and with seville orange juice, too - this is really good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Heroditas wrote: »
    Great call! I bought that after watching a recipe from "Al's Kitchen" on YouTube. Very versatile ingredient!!

He's great ive made a tonne of his currys!

Also try lime pickle its like salty hot sour madness

Just bought Le phare du cap bon. Harissa de la tunisie. In supervalue.
    A tube like tomato paste.
    No idea, but I'll give it a whirl in some cooking

Le Phare Du Cap Bon Phare Du Cap Harissa Chilli Paste https://g.co/kgs/aSabhN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

It's OK. Usually cheap enough and flavoursome enough.

Al'Fez from Tesco has been mentioned on here before. Currently on offer.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259874910

A few weeks delay but made it. Possibly a little OTT on the Reaper.....

Its lovely though, tiny quantities needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Came across this recently 🤣

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How much is the sweet baby rays, would love to give it a shot.

Not sure, friends were in cork City 2 weekends ago and came across this amazing array of hot sauces 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

It's probably not strictly a hot sauce but I love Batts Peri Peri Sauce from Lidl. Nice kick even though it is described as "medium".

Not a hot sauce as such but I love hamburger relish and it seems very difficult to find/get, I got one in either Aldi, or Lidl last year, may have just been a one time offering, any ideas we're to get Hamburger Relish sauce would be appreciated 😉

I've tried it and yes quite tasty, they do a range of Mexican style sauces which are quite yummy 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

La Costena green jalapeno sauce is the best, not that spicy! Man it's incredible on eggs. I was able to get a bunch of them in Supervalu before, and I haven't been able to find it anywhere since!

Its really easy to make. Mayo, ketchup, pickles, mustard.

Do, takes literally 2 minutes. Add a bit of garlic or worcestershire sauce/vinegar or paprika too if you fancy.

That's Mr Bell's I see... Is the sauce any good?

Some of those can be a bit pricey. The La Anita habanero is my favourite now.

• Advertisement

And I've a confession to make, I'm actually a Chef albeit left the industry years ago, never thought to make a Hamburger Relish before (lazyness I guess) 😊

My friends (who actually visited the store) Did say the prices where (Saucey), no pun intended 😊 the Jar of Hot S*** was just shy of €5, I've see some shockingly expensive Ballymaloe relishes, sauces in Tesco, haven't tried but they'd need to be good for the price 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kefflin

Frank's is the job

Ah €5 is fine, I'll definitely pick some up, thanks!

Now I know we're all the money is 😁, Cork, enjoy

No Don't, seriously. It's common for chefs to be lazy outside the kitchen, but like trying to get a plumber to fix his own pipes at home 🤣 my main focus was Pastries, Seafood etc but I do make a tasty curry sauce. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I love giving other hot sauces a try but I always have a bottles of Frank's, it's great on everything from pizza, pasta to wings. Some of the Mexican ones are lovely but I find they're mainly suited to Mexican dishes.

Made this yesterday, maybe the nicest sauce Ive made yet. I toned down the chili amount by 20%

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/scotch-bonnet-pineapple-mango-hot-sauce-recipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mdl100

Throw a teaspoon of Heinz sweet relish or sweet pickle in too. You'll find it in some random shops. I've seen it in Fallon & Byrnes in Dublin and the English Market in Cork. The Americanfood Irish website have it too.

Advertisement