Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Tried the Carolina Reaper on scrambled eggs last night.
    Added it in before cooking and it lost a lot of the flavour. Must try adding it on the plate next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Comerman

Tried the Carolina Reaper on scrambled eggs last night.
    Added it in before cooking and it lost a lot of the flavour. Must try adding it on the plate next.

I found the same, a good dollop in the pizza sauce tasted great but after cooking the pizza I felt very little heat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lol! People.

Hot sauce is a condiment.

Serve at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Lol! People.

Serve at the table.

Or.....

Each to their own;)

I personally use it to add a kick to recipes or use it separately if others don't care too much for hot food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Comerman

Lol! People.

Serve at the table.

What's a condiment :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

picked up these three this morning, I've had the lava before and it's lovely, the sahara isn't really a hot sauce as there is no chilli in it at all, but it tastes lovely.

EvOlFWmXEAI9NA1?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Came across a range- Scarlet for yer Ma- Dublin hot sauce. Surat from the brilliant name, anyone tried them?

picked up some El Yucateco Chipotle in SV at the weekend

pretty good stuff!

Some new hot sauces from Mr. Bells today.

Any posters with experience of this Amazon brand?

https://twitter.com/MrBellsCork/status/1368953588450533377?s=19

picked up some El Yucateco Chipotle in SV at the weekend

pretty good stuff!

I've been meaning to get some of the El Yucateco sauces. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Advertisement

the chipotle reminds me of standard brown sauce, with added heat and smokiness, if that makes sense.

Mr Bells have assured me that they will be getting Valentina hot sauce in soon.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

put an order in with Mic this week, got Inferno and Trouble in Trinidad, Inferno Jnr and they threw in a bottle of Inferno Light.

I had a little dab of the TiT and wow it's hot

I just tasted a smidgeon of this new one... La Anita extra hot.

Khaki colour, a thick texture, flavourful (lots of lemony and salty tastes) and a very sharp habanero burn.
    Very good!

EDIT: But possibly too hot for me, at least for regular use?
    Quite an after sting on the tongue, rather than the slow build... I'll see how it goes with food.

IMG-20210602-170406.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Mic's has 30% off at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sriracha is still the most versatile and simplest hot sauce.

Mix 50/50 with mayo or ketchup to get hot mayo / hot ketchup.

Squirt it onto any pizza to give the pizza a kick

Put it on eggs to kick start your day.

Add it to wraps and sandwiches to add heat.

And of course, add it to anything you are cooking.

I pick it up in Musgrave's - pack 12 big 785ml for €41

Not a hot sauce, but a naga chilli pickle. I love this stuff. Very hot!

IMG-20210701-180414.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

IMG-20210701-180414.jpg
    Got some in bridge street a while back. Blows the head off ya! And very nice.

By the way I tried the rose Harissa, very curry like. Gone back to regular Harissa. Different brands may vary.
    And the dry Harissa in Dunnes is great sprinkled on pizza.

And finally, I've settled on the Carolina Reaper with black garlic. Yum, not using the Micks naga knockdown or voodoo any more. The Carolina is so much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

That naga is my ultimate fave. The place I buy said they were stopping production of it though . Wonder any truth in that

Oh I got a selection from Mic's for Father's Day last week.

It had
    • Inferno Extreme
    • Emerald Jalapeno
    • Dam Hot Wing Sauce
    • Chilli BBQ
    • Sweet Chilli

I've been using the Emerald Jalapeno on a few things and I really like it. I haven't opened the Inferno Extreme because I'm currently using Inferno and Trouble in Trinidad so no need to open it yet.

I made slow cooker pork ribs brushed with the Chilli BBQ, then slathered most of the rest of the bottle onto them to finish in the oven and they were totally devoured by three hungry men watching football. It was incredible.

I haven't used the wing sauce of the sweet chilli yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Making Carolina Reaper Blueberry sauce today. Will report back.

Just looking at Mics Chilli website and voodoo reaper is €15, I got a delivery there last year and I bought around 4 or 5 bottles of various sauces including the voodoo reaper but there is no way I would of even paid €10 for one sauce, I think my total order might of been just over €20.

Has their prices went up that dramatically over the space of 15 months or so?

They're sold out of the chilli bbq at the moment so I might just try Avoca or one of the other stockists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Just looking at Mics Chilli website and voodoo reaper is €15, I got a delivery there last year and I bought around 4 or 5 bottles of various sauces including the voodoo reaper but there is no way I would of even paid €10 for one sauce, I think my total order might of been just over €20.

Has their prices went up that dramatically over the space of 15 months or so?

They're sold out of the chilli bbq at the moment so I might just try Avoca or one of the other stockists.

I ordered stuff 1st july 2020 they have gone up by about 50% since then, 3.50 / 5.00 for the normal and extreme, sweet chilli and chilli bbq 4.20 / 6.00 and the naga knockdown was 6.30 now 9.00.

Just thinking about it now, 3.50 was an absolute bargain, 5.00 is ok by me when I compare it to things like rebel or encona or Cholula.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    I ordered stuff 1st july 2020 they have gone up by about 50% since then, 3.50 / 5.00 for the normal and extreme, sweet chilli and chilli bbq 4.20 / 6.00 and the naga knockdown was 6.30 now 9.00.

Just thinking about it now, 3.50 was an absolute bargain, 5.00 is ok by me when I compare it to things like rebel or encona or Cholula.

5 or 6 quid is ok for a bottle of sauce but I'll not buying when it gone into double figures.

Just tried Avoca for the Chilli Bbq but no joy, there must be a massive demand for it. I did get the Damn Hot Wing sauce so must give that a try over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

5 or 6 quid is ok for a bottle of sauce but I'll not buying when it gone into double figures.

Just tried Avoca for the Chilli Bbq but no joy, there must be a massive demand for it. I did get the Damn Hot Wing sauce so must give that a try over the weekend.

Picado seem to have it, if you are dublin based, delivery is a bit steep unless you are ordering a few things. (never a bad time to get some achiote paste and chipotle in adobo sauce)

https://www.picadomexican.com/products/bbq-mics-chilli?_pos=1&_sid=e7c9c3644&_ss=r

Picado seem to have it, if you are dublin based, delivery is a bit steep unless you are ordering a few things. (never a bad time to get some achiote paste and chipotle in adobo sauce)

https://www.picadomexican.com/products/bbq-mics-chilli?_pos=1&_sid=e7c9c3644&_ss=r

Cheers for that, I'll pop in tomorrow and grab a couple of bottles and it's beside the Aprille chipper, their food was fab back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cheers for that, I'll pop in tomorrow and grab a couple of bottles and it's beside the Aprille chipper, their food was fab back in the day.

At 3am after a load of pints!

Picado is excellent. Really good sauces et al and Masa flour. Tacos with hot sauce for dinner tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

IMG-20210701-180414.jpg

Great call! I bought that after watching a recipe from "Al's Kitchen" on YouTube. Very versatile ingredient!!

Also, two nice sauces I had recently were the Smokin' Bones spicy and the Memphis sauces they provide with their meal boxes.
    Not overly hot but very nice flavours with a bit of kick.

achiote paste

Oh! Is achiote paste worth trying?
    What is it like?

I was disappointed with the dried Epazote herb that I got a while back from Mr Bells here in Cork. Didn't really taste of much.

• Advertisement

By the way I tried the rose Harissa, very curry like. Gone back to regular Harissa. Different brands may vary.
    And the dry Harissa in Dunnes is great sprinkled on pizza.

Was that the Belazu rose harissa? I loved that. Don't know of any other brand.
    I will definitely look out for the Dunnes dry harissa. Thanks!

Advertisement