Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Have a bottle in my drawer, awaiting opening.
    Which I'll do this week.
    Is it better as a cooking or put in sandwich sauce?

Try it on its own first.

It has a strong flavour that might overpower the dish.

I hardly ever use hot sauce as an ingredient, nearly always as a condiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Try it on its own first.

It has a strong flavour that might overpower the dish.

I hardly ever use hot sauce as an ingredient, nearly always as a condiment.

the best hot sauce I've used as an ingredient is Sitto Z Lava, it packs huge flavour behind the heat, and I love it added with the aromatics to a stir fry, allow it to spread all around the dish, maybe three quarters of a teaspoon's worth in a wok of veggies with some soy sauce to help it spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Have a bottle in my drawer, awaiting opening.
    Which I'll do this week.
    Is it better as a cooking or put in sandwich sauce?

put directly onto food (sparingly) before you eat.

It is fantastic on eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I pretty much always use it as a condiment as well, as my wife can't take any hot sauce. I even have to reduce the chilies/curry powder when I'm cooking.

And I alreay have two of Micks sauces open (voodoo reeper and Naga Knockdown). Two drops of either is enough, three drops too much. So they last forever. As well as a medium Nando's for spreading.

But hey, what's another open bottle. :)

But hey, what's another open bottle. :)

I have so many open bottles!
    My fridge is so small, I tend to keep the vinegar based ones in the cupboard... I hope that's OK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Comerman

I have so many open bottles!
    My fridge is so small, I tend to keep the vinegar based ones in the cupboard... I hope that's OK!

Any recommendations for a non vinegar one? I find Frank's tooo vinegary

Comerman wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a non vinegar one? I find Frank's tooo vinegary

Mics, Nok, Bull's eye...

A lot of those are different from the vinegar based ones like Frank's, Crystal etc.

Forgot, I've Micks Trouble in Trinidad as well.

Anyway, couldn't wait any longer.

The Bullseye is nice, hot, but not as hot as the Trinidad or naga. Nice taste of black garlic.

Looking forwards to scrambled eggs with it.

I sometimes put a bit in those microwave bean pots. Perks them up nicely.

heh I don't really like hot sauce on eggs at all I don't think the flavours go together

mac and cheese, stir fries, other pasta dishes, rice dishes I'm all over it though

i can't believe i only discovered this thread either it's my new obsession!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Eggs and hot sauce are a clear match for me, too!

• Advertisement

Oh, I made some fajitas last night, using the Smokey BBQ kit from Aldi, and used the Foam & Fury Mic's sauce in them.

It's lovely and fruity with the flavour of the beer pretty prominent, I enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Eggs and hot sauce are a clear match for me, too!

Just had 2 boiled eggs, Mics Inferno in one, Cholula in the other. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The Nal wrote: »
    Just had 2 boiled eggs, Mics Inferno in one, Cholula in the other. Delicious.

breakfast of champions!

Any opinions on Valentina hot sauce? I see good reviews but have never seen it for sale down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Any opinions on Valentina hot sauce? I see good reviews but have never seen it for sale down here.

My favourite hot sauce, have bought it in Supervalu recently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I love this stuff. I get the black label over the yellow label. I use it for more or less everything even on toast.

A year ago I got a 330ml bottle on Amazon for £10 and thought that was a decent enough value compared to everything else on there. Then a few months later was in an Asian shop near where I live and found a 1L bottle for €5. Couldn't believe it. So, it is definitely worth shopping around for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I like it. I get it (the yellow label one) from my local Dunnes so might be worth checking there too if you haven't already.

Just a test post to see if I can overcome the irritating boards bug with not seeing the latest post.

I like it. I get it (the yellow label one) from my local Dunnes so might be worth checking there too if you haven't already.

Thanks. My test worked!

Unfortunately, my local Dunnes and SuperValu aren't great.
    But I will continue looking!

Too frugal to pay the outrageous shipping fees from Irish online retailers.
    (not blaming the retailers, I'm sure it is a genuine cost)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That Bullseye Carolina Reaper with black garlic is a lovely sauce, it really has a nice flavour to it but I do find it a bit mild though.

I add it to mayonnaise for dipping and it's also nice when added to a tomato sauce on a pizza base.

• Advertisement

I put it in homemade minestrone soup. Gave it a lovely garlic taste and a bit of heat.

anyone ever buy hot sauce in an Asian shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

anyone ever buy hot sauce in an Asian shop?
    Yeah I usually get sriracha from an Asian supermarket close to me as well as some SE Asian chilli sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

‘Bring the Pain’ hot sauce is fierce feckin hot. Lidl had it for a while over a year ago but not seen it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Comerman

BailMeOut wrote: »
    My new favourite is "Bulls-Eye Carolina Reaper Extra Hot Sauce" which can be sometimes found at SuperValu. It is pretty hot but also has great deep and rich flavour.

5000157144225_3.JPG

Got this yesterday and tis frigging gorgeous, firey hot but the garlic flavour still comes through.

Yeah I usually get sriracha from an Asian supermarket close to me as well as some SE Asian chilli sauces.

I get my sriracha there alright, was just wondering if there's anything worth looking for

I ordered from Sitto Z this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

‘Bring the Pain’ hot sauce is fierce feckin hot. Lidl had it for a while over a year ago but not seen it since.

My missus can handle almost any hot sauce (outside of specifically ludicrous ones) including Mic's Carolina Reaper, but Bring The Pain made ribbons of her. It frightens me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Valentina is what I'm using right now as I saw it in Dunnes. It's nice, not very hot, and maybe a tad too salty.
    It's very easy to make your own, does anyone else do this?
    I grow chillies so use my own if possible, but basically cook chillies, garlic, red onion, maybe some peppers, in oil in the oven, throw them into some white wine vinegar, blitz... et voila. You can experiment with different additions and ratios. I've made some really good ones in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bulls Eye Carolina Reaper is 2 quid in Tesco. Very nice stuff. Will be pouring it over some wings soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My missus can handle almost any hot sauce (outside of specifically ludicrous ones) including Mic's Carolina Reaper, but Bring The Pain made ribbons of her. It frightens me :D

Bring the Pain was awful stuff. It was a very artificial heat. Reminded me of those Doritos that came out a couple of years ago.
    It was like an acidic taste from the sauce.

Advertisement