Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

I have a real life example of a brexit related dilemma we currently face in our household. We are EU nationals living in the UK and we have two cats. They have (or I should say had!) EU pet passports that we got a few years ago and this was sufficient to go from the UK to Europe. The cats have a microchip linked to the pet passport and they get scanned at the border and their passport is checked. It usually takes 30 seconds to 1 minute and it was completed in the car when we handed our passports to border control.

We are planning our EU trip at the moment, the EU pet passport is no longer valid for obvious reasons and now we need an animal health cert. We rang the vet and its £180 for each cat and they must have a rabies vaccine 28 days before had (not an issue on the rabies vaccine as this was required periodically as part of the EU pet passport) which is £65. So our grand total is £490 before we set off! Brexit dividend!!

I am not disputing this by the way, I just wanted to give a real life example of something that EU membership made easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

"You do have to wonder why Johnson and Frost are continuing to poke the protocol and the border issue". Why? To provoke the loyalists into violence so as to get concessions from the EU. After all, from their point of view, if the paddies were allowed to use the threat of republican violence to get what they want, why shouldn't we be allowed to use the threat of loyalist violence to get what we want?

"it may be as simple as they didn't know what the hell they were doing". They absolutely do know what they are doing. They are provoking the loyalists, so that they can now, having "Got Brexit done", force the EU to renegotiate the "terrible" deal that they themselves signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Correct- they are sociopaths not stupid. You don't get to their position by being stupid - you do by being a sociopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

TBF, it has got them into power, and kept them in power. From their POV why change?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭farmerval

I think Johnson needs chaos, he would be shown up too easy in normal politics. While he's in power he'll always be poking at someone, proposing crazy ideas. Johnson has always loved conflict, poking insults in some direction or other. Obviously the voters like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another example of the UK diverging from EU standards, in this case, a measure put in place for the distinct benefit of other less well off countries who were being exploited with our waste in the past...

Separately, RTE are now reporting that the EU has suspended its legal action so to allow time to consider solutions to overcome the current impasse (although they still maintain that the NIP will not be renegotiated)...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ya that annoyed me pausing legal action, just wasting dithering move

Goodwill move my hole

This Commission are they not aware of who’s PM of the UK? The guy that finds it hard to go through a day without lying and you expect to deal with his party who are really nasty pieces of work?

Just continue with legal action and show the world work what this UK Government is like

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The world knows what the UK are like. This looks like the "concession" that the UK will get and we'll announce a new agreement in a couple of weeks and be told just how the plucky Brits got one over the All powerful EU. Same as it ever was.

Post edited by BonnieSituation on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The EU know full well Johnson and Frost are scoundrels. They are clearly playing a long game, rather than getting into an immediate confrontation. There's no need to rush things and to have early showdowns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do the EU requirements continue as before with EUCJ oversight while this can kicking is going on? Is the UK still bound by EU SPS rules?

If so, what is the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Wild guess here, but I don't think the EU announcement that it is pausing its legal proceedings is a unilateral move designed to promote goodwill. There's likely to be a quid pro quo that has been settled by discreet negotiation. And the quo may already have happened.

There has been much criticism/rejection/derision of the UK's command paper demanding a renegotiation of the NI Protocol, pretty much all of it fully justified. But all of the outrage may have (designedly) eclipsed a couple of small positive developments on the UK side.

The first is that, shortly before the command paper was issued, Frost in evidence to a parliamentary committee said that a UK/EU treaty to deal with the situation of NI was essential. That could be the treaty we now have, or a treaty renegotiated by mutual agreement, but the public signal is that the UK is not going to simply walk away from the treaty; it doesn't see that as a feasible course of action. And that puts the EU in quite a strong position, since the UK is conceding that no alternative to the current arrangements can be put in place without the agreement of the EU.

The second is that, in the command paper itself, the UK rules out invoking Article 16. The statement made is that "for the time being it is not appropriate [for the UK] to exercise its rights under Article 16, but the reasons the command paper gives as to why it's inappropriate aren't specific to the current time. The reasons are that (1) there are limits to the actions that can be taken under Art 16, and (2) those actions can only be temporary, and (3) they have to give way to the dispute resolution process of the NI Protocol. None of those things are just true "at the present time"; they are permanent features of Art 16. So the signal here is that the UK reserves the right to honk into the void about Art 16 but accepts that, realistically, actually invoking it doesn't really solve any of the UK's problems.

So, it wouldn't amaze me to discover that there was an explicit understanding that, if the UK committed to a treaty-based relationship to address the Ireland/NI situation and accepted that invoking Art 16 wasn't on the cards, the EU would pause its enforcement proceedings.

The EU has little to lose by this, since the enforcement proceedings are just paused, not abandoned. If further talks don't lead to a solution that's agreeable to the EU, the UK is still bound by the NI Protocol and the enforcement proceedings can be progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Further confirmation of my points, ignored by pro EU here, that the Commission is weak and failing a member state.

This is appeasement of gangster politics in London and it reinforces my view on Ireland's precarious position in the single market.

Those who have no defence for the commission continuously talk about the "long game" when they have little argument.

That's the opposite of what's needed here. It could not be more opposite

This is weak and again I firmly believe despite the denials we are counting in months now regarding Ireland and the single market because the EU refuses to do what it should do.

I go back to my first principle:

If we were Germany...

If/When the inevitable happens here (as I say my view within months) we need to have a serious rexamination of our membership against that outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

If only your snow forecasts were as predictable as your anti-EU ones 😉

You say your view is within months - we're over five years into this, yet who has managed to get pretty much everything they wanted in an agreement signed by both sides?

Who talks the talk but when it comes to walking the walk has made so many heel turns when they reached the end that there's a large crater forming at the top of the hill?

Have you withdrawn all of your previous criticism regarding AstraZeneca/Article 16 yet?

Two things are completely lacking in Kermit’s longstanding but incomplete analysis:

The first is what he expects to happen if the EU adopts the bull-in-a-China-shop policy that he advocates. Does he expect the UK to collapse in heap, beg for forgiveness and become servile and biddable? If so, why does he expect that? If not what does he expect? Has he considered that the upshot may be to give the Brexiteers the excuse they are looking for to repudiate the NI Protocol and blame the EU for provoking this? How would he see that scenario playing out? Would the Irish border remain open? If it did, would the EU feel compelled to adopt controls on IRL/EU-26 trade, the very thing he claims to fear? In Kermit’s scenario, how would the EU avoid the need for that? We’re not told.

The second thing that is never explained is how, in Kermit’s mind, we get from the present EU slow-and-steady policy to Ireland being excluded from the Single Market within a matter of months. As he has predicted it many times and it has never happened, he’s had plenty of time to reflect on how it is supposed to have happened and why it hasn't but somehow still will, but we have not so far been favoured with the fruits of his reflection.

Regardless of whether the EU sticks with slow-and-steady or switches to bull-in-a-China-shop, the ultimate question remains the same: will the UK accept and comply with the measures needed to keep the Irish border open without imperilling the integrity of the Single Market? And, regardless of whether we pursue slow-and-steady or bull-in-a-China-shop, there is the possibility that it will not. And, if that does happen, the dilemma we face is the same, regardless of whether we have followed slow-and-steady or bull-in-a-China-shop in order to get there.

In that scenario, one of two things must happen. Either there must be some degree of control on trade across the Irish border, or Ireland’s position within the Single Market must be imperilled.

Although Kermit hasn’t laid out his thinking on this, he does seem to assume that this choice will be made by the EU and force on us. He is basically implicitly buying into the Brexiter tropes (a) that the EU acts independently of its member states, (b) that it rules over its member states in much the way that the UK once ruled over its colonies, and (c) that Ireland is a “small state” that the EU will cheerfully trample on in the exercise of its imperial powers. The fact that reliance on these beliefs has produced such poor outcomes for Brexiters over the past 5 years has not shaken his faith.

I think he is wrong. If we do arrive at that dilemma, the decision about which unpleasant end of the shîtty stick to grasp will not be the EU’s; it will first of all be Ireland’s. If the UK’s actions make trade controls on the Irish border necessary, Ireland can accept that that has happened, and there will then be no question of our participation in the Single Market being imperilled. There will be controls on the Irish border. 

Because avoiding a hard border requires bilateral co-operation the UK can enforce a hard border by simply refusing to co-operate with the measures needed to avoid it. But it cannot force Ireland to leave the Single Market; that can only ever happen if we choose it.

We will not choose it. The entire arc of Irish history for the past several centuries has been Ireland asserting its sovereignty against Britain, even if - as in recent decades - this meant putting up with partition. We’re not about to change that course of action now. The UK cannot make us, despite what Kermit and/or UK Brexiteers may think.

This does not mean that we would accept a hard border as the final outcome; of course not. Kermit can say what he likes about the slow-and-steady approach, but he cannot deny that it has got IRL/EU to the point where, while the UK can still enforce a hard border in Ireland, it can only do so in violation of the treaty obligations it has undertakien, and at enormous legal, political and diplomatic cost to itself. So, even if we do reach this point, the story isn’t over. IRL/EU will still be well positioned to maintain pressure to the UK to comply with its obligations so that the hard border can be softened again. 

(Which is one of the reasons, incidentally, that Ireland will choose a hard border over trade control between IRL and EU-26. If we accept the UK’s actions and the Irish border is still kept open, the UK is under less pressure and the situation is more likely to be permanent. Both options for us in this situation are unpleasant, but the option that maintains international pressure on the UK is the less unpleasant.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Such confidence on Ireland being forced out of the EU yet the charity bet offer remains open.

Startling!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Your favoured course of action would lead to an immediate need to install border infrastructure in Ireland, which is case you haven't noticed is precisely what everyone has been trying to avoid.

There remains zero risk of Ireland being forced out of the single market - the UK, despite its bluster, is essentially continuing to comply with the protocol. Your desire for pre-emptive punishment is bizarre and irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The EU apparently has some very significant leverage against the UK that has been quietly mentioned before but not really brought to the fore yet.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/28/business/lug

Boris Johnson has spent decades agitating against the European Union and the last five years battling to free the United Kingdom from the shackles of regulation from Brussels. Now he's in the awkward position of finding himself at the mercy of EU leaders for permission to rejoin an international treaty, or risk devastating Britain's multi-billion-dollar legal services industry.ano-convention-uk-europe-dispute-intl-cmd/index.html

TBF to Kermit, it's not irrational. It is seeing the UK appear to trample over agreements and appear to have no pushback.

From acceptance of unilateral decisions, to the engagement in talks, reopening the WA. At every step it appears that the more the UK kicks and screams the more the EU are willing to move.

But it is all appearance. The EU are getting the main things that they want at every turn. There is no doubt who is coming out of this whole sorry debacle in a better position. Regardless of the economics of it all, the political and diplomatic success has all been the EU's. While the like of Frost and Johnson complaining incessantly about the unfairness of it all plays out well in the media in the UK, it clearly carries no weight in the US, NZ and the EU as three examples.

But I understand where Kermit is coming from. It is frustrating to think that the screaming kid in the corner appears to be getting what they want when everyone else is ignored. So the desire to see 'justice', by way of legal action or pulling out of talks or whatever, is a completely understandable desire. I know that I have wanted it many times when I read the latest diatribe coming from NO 10.

But, what we have seen conclusively over the last 5 years, and very aptly demonstrated by the near invoking of Art 16 earlier in the year, is that while it may give one a feeling of control, that lashing out is exactly what the UK is looking for. They want to drag this down into the gutter, as they know that in reality they have nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Fully agree that the EU appears weak to the rest of the world having done this and I suspect it will embolden the UK government to agitate even more.

Having said that,I'll be very happy if the EU do change the conditions of the protocol to break the impasse .

Its an odd take.

You must also agree that the UK looks completely ridiculous, not to mention completely untrustworthy, to the rest of the world since they are looking to welch on the agreement they said a few months ago was brilliant.

The UK don't need to be emboldened to agitate more. It has been their modus operandi for the last few years, increasing as the decision time came up. It is all they have.

They have los the argument, there is simply no benefits to Brexit, they have painted the UK into a terrible corner and the only way to save themselves (for that is all it is about, nothing to do with saving the UK) is to continue to paint the EU as both an unmoving dictatorship and also a weak limp wristed surrender monkey.

• Advertisement

The EU doesn't appear weak to the rest of the world; just to Kermit. But Kermit's assessments and analysis of this have been consistently proven wrong for the past 5 years, so I wouldn't set too much store on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭yagan

Even if they're trying to use to use the NIP as an agitant to sustain the noble Brexit struggle, it is falling flat in the English Tory heartlands as they gave Johnson the stomping majority to bypass the DUP.

Attacking the deal they negotiated and boasted about back in December is also putting the Brexit heartlands to sleep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That may be so to some degree, but the UK isn't some Rogue Nation, despite their best attempts to behave like one. And I don't buy the UK as bullies, just chancers severely over-estimating their swagger. They're a former member of the union itself, whose decision to exit was ... well, we know what it was. The EU know this too and I wouldn't hold it against it for trying to be the Better Person here, so to speak.

It's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility the UK - or even, parts of the UK like Scotland - returned to the union so why create acrimony and bitterness during the divorce proceedings? It would only come back to haunt the EU, eventually. The EU need to be the Immovable Force in this whole equation, around which the UK can bluster, huff and puff all they like. I daresay the EU will outlast this Tory government, especially at the rate Johnson & co. are burning through its goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Re. Ireland leaving/forced out of the SM

• Is there any law/article/something in the EU that can allow a member be removed from the SM against its will?
    • Would an EU treaty change be required to remove a member, and if so would IE need a referendum on it and could we veto the proposed change?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you a reputable example from around the world that would demonstrate this perception as I can't think of one country that would this hold the same view as yourself?

I think it is simply that the EU is showing it is not vindictive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are bullies without the ability or power to actually back it up. To take your analogy further, they would far rather bring it to a fight in a gutter where they have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭yagan

A member can have sanctions leveled against it, like suspension of voting rights which happened Austria before, or economically where contracts with the problem member can be voided if that member doesn't uphold judicial independence, as could possibly happen with Poland and Hungary.

Despite all their bluster the UK has to uphold the NIP because if it didn't then future EU/UK trade negotiations would not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The lack of any coherent anti brexit rejoin initiative in England convinces me that the EU action is the correct one. If there was a political party polling well on a pro EU stance then it would be a lot easier for the EU to take a more outwardly aggressive stance towards Johnson. But taking an aggressive stance towards Johnson and then watching a surge in Tory support would be a terrible outcome. The effects of brexit will have to do the job on changing the political weather in England.

You can't be wholly removed from the SM without your agreement.

But there are provisions under which temporary and specific controls on the free movement of goods, people, etc can be imposed - for example, the UK beef trade was subject to restrictions imposed by the EU to prevent the spread of BSE; there were temporary border controls introduced in some places in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Temporary measures of this kind have to be a last resort, and they have to be limited in scope and duration to what is the strictly necessary to deal with the threat to which they are a response. Where possible they are adopted in consultation with with the affected state and with its agreement, but they can be adopted without its agreement if necessary.

So, hypothetically, if the UK refused to operate any controls on GB-NI trade, and Ireland refused to operate any controls on NI-IRL trade, the EU could adopt measures to control IRL-EU26 trade in order to tackle serious threats to health, etc in the Single Market.

In reality it wouldn't come to that because, for reasons we have previously discussed in this thread, the temporary measures would be applied at the NI/IRL border, making it unnecessary to apply them at the IRL/EU26 border.

• Advertisement

The EU doesn't give a damn about domestic politics in the UK. It's none of their business. One of the things that has handicapped the Brexiter implementation of Brexit has been their compulsive need to posture for the domestic audience, prioritising local crowd-pleasing over securing any traction with the EU.

The EU's policy in dealing with the UK's threatened and actual defaults is based on one consideration only; what course of action is likely to produce the best outcome for the EU? We don't really care how the UK is affected by it.

Advertisement