Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working From Home Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Thanks JTMan, sensible answer to my question. appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Fergal Bowers in a RTE article ( https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0716/1235622-covid-challenges-delta/ ) raises the question about as to when office will be allowed reopen. He says there is now a "question of when people might be returning more fully to the workplace" and "the horizon appears to move further into the distance".

He also says that "social distancing as a minimum" is likely to continue into the Winter along with "continued mask-wearing".

Even if the 'work from home where possible' restriction is lifted in September which is a very big if ... social distancing (gaps between desks etc) and mask-wearing (painful to wear all day in the office) might be enough to keep a lot of people at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Why would we still need social distancing and mask wearing if everyone is vaccinated?

Why do many people, including Fergal Bowers, think that mask wearing and social distancing will continue through Winter? I would think the reasons are ... (1) Covid-19 is not going to disappear when we get 80% of the adult population vaccinated. It will still continue to spread at a lower rate. Some US experts think Winter 2021 wave could do '20% of the damage' of last Winter, smaller but not insignificant. (2) The risk of a tipple whammy this Winter of flu, RSV & bugs and Covid at a lower rate. There is an 'immune deficit' and already evidence from other countries that these other diseases are spreading at an alarming rate which, as Sage said, could overwhelm hospital systems in the Winter.

As Leo said, it is likely to be after Winter before we can put this virus behind us. Many experts think Winter will need some restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yeah, I remember a good discussion on here earlier in the year about how difficult it would be to reopen offices as you head into Winter, and Delta has made it even harder. Even if Covid is relatively under control, cases will rise in Winter & hospitals are going to be under pressure because of all the other illnesses at that time of year anyway. I expect there may be a "soft" requirement to WFH ("it's not mandatory but please WFH") as we can't afford not to be competitive as a country and impose restrictions on businesses which don't apply in other countries.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but WFH has never been mandatory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,086 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's never been legally mandated by the government. But it has been requested.

And some companies have required it of their staff, along with imposing other rules like "No public transport" and "No sharing cars, unless with someone who lives in the same house".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They've been phasing us back throughout the year, 2 in 3 at home or something, but I work nights so have been 100% WFH since March last year. I love it. Aside from the obvious benefits, I feel I'm more motivated to work while at home. I don't feel big brother is watching my screen, and I work by myself about 30% of the time so makes no sense to bringing me back in at all. I will be fighting them on it, and I'm not looking forward to it. But I also genuinely believe I now have enochlophobia, something I may have always had a little bit of, but since Covid it's worse, so that will probably get a mention, because I'm sure it will affect my ability to work. So if I can do (and have been doing) my job with no negative feedback in over 16 months, why can't it continue?

I haven't been a social butterfly for years now, but I was still getting a chest infection about once a month, along with sniffles and coughs for a lot of the month too. I haven't even had so much as a runny nose since March 2020. While I've no doubt* that the company (a shared call centre type environment with more employees than desks) are doing everything they can** to ensure the place is safe, it's not them that I don't trust, it's the other humans in there, coming in with their colds and coughs, spreading it everywhere and onto everything, rubbing their filthy grubby hands on their faces and then onto every surface they touch... If they somehow manage to get me back in, the first time I get sick will be the last time I'll set foot in there. I'm going to be even less of a social butterfly now, so if I get sick I will be solely blaming it on the work environment.

* Some doubt

** Probably not

Yeah, international reputation matters with this, so maybe, as you indicated, 'work from home where possible' will get replaced with some sort of soft middle ground strongly encouraging WFH or capacity restrictions or 'slow return' advise but soft middle ground runs the risk of a u-turn in the depths of Winter when the 'work from home where possible' might have to get re-enacted. Anyway, difficult to see WFH guidance getting fully lifted for Winter. With just 6 weeks until offices are due to return guidance is urgently needed. The government are going to have to make a decision soon.

Even if workplaces are allowed reopen, the mess in the UK with business places constantly having to close because one person tests positive, gives an indication of the challenges ahead, and will prove especially a big challenge to open-plan work-spaces with shared air. That's on top of the aforementioned social distancing (which will mean a cap of 50% in open plan offices with every second desk closed and meeting curtailment) and painful mask-wearing at desks (and some companies have being light on enforcing this because there were so few people in the office but if larger groups return enforcement will have to be greater).

I suspect that many companies will wait until after Winter before reopening indoor offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How many choices will you have when you're 55?

• Advertisement

It absolutely has been mandatory for most state employees since the start of Covid, with no provision for those who don't have space or other facilities at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

As I said. Some more than others. But if I was 55 I would be much more inclined to leave a company who wanted to put me at risk for something I can safely do at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Once we finish the vaccination programme Covid should be reduced to "just another respiratory illness". It'll be very difficult for the government to justify continuing with social distancing, mandatory masks etc. if it is hospitalising people at no greater rate than flu for example. The hospitals then have a problem because they're already at 100% over Winter because of Flu, but I can't see Ireland inc. having social distancing restrictions while our neighbours are back to normal. I don't know what the answer is, but we'll have moved from a clear national emergency to a hospital capacity issue, and I can't see the latter being a strong enough justification for saying to employers you need to continue with restrictions.

Like you say I could see a push for a voluntary social distancing/WFH, and I think that would actually work quite well. People don't like commuting over Winter in particular. I could foresee actual restrictions on indoor venues, and the days of packing hundreds of employees into a Christmas party might be on hold - quite aside from the risk to employees, does a business want to take the risk of hundreds of employees having to quarantine because there was an outbreak?

So as wiser heads than me have said on here, it's Spring next year I think before we are back to "normal" work patterns, whatever they may be. And at that stage we'll be 2 years into WFH, and the "normal" will have changed in people's heads.

It's hard to play hardball with your employer when you know your chances of getting into comparable employment are severely restricted by ageism.

Agreed with the Spring 2022 comment.

The way I look at it there is too much *uncertainty* for most big businesses to plan to reopen offices in September or even during Winter:

• Will the government allow offices reopen in September? God knows.
    • If so, when in September? God knows.
    • When will the government advise? God knows.
    • Could the government give some sort of middle-ground rules on office reopening? Possible.
    • Will social distancing be needed inside the offices and gaps between desks? God knows. Some say yes for Winter, others say no after vaccinations complete. i.e. nobody knows.
    • Will mask wearing continue to be mandatory indoors at desks in offices? God knows. Some say yes for Winter, others say no after vaccinations complete. i.e. nobody knows.
    • Will everyone in the office need to self-isolate, who was in a shared airspace, if one person gets it? Probably and this might be a nightmare of open-plan offices.
    • Will there be another surge of Covid in the Winter when schools, colleges etc reopen and the weather gets crap? Possibly. Could the government be forced to re-introduce WFH where possible if this happens? Possibly.
    • If hospitals get overwhelmed this Winter could the government also be forced to re-introduce WFH where possible if this happens? Possibly.
    • Will pressure to improve ventilation in offices lead to new indoor office ventilation rules like some are pushing for in the UK? Unlikely but possible.

Net result of all this uncertainty will be delays in reopening offices until there is certainty and that certainty might not arrive until Spring 2022 when Winter is over.

Hence, I would guess that the logical conclusion is that many offices will not reopen until after Winter.

I wouldn't be playing hardball. I'd be finding another job.

If it meant taking a hit, so be it. My health is more important than my career.

This isn't some esoteric career development issues. Most people at 55 have substantial financial commitments, mortgage, kids at college, putting food on the table. 'Taking a hit' isn't an option for most.

We can go around on this for ever.

They won't be putting much on the table if they're dead.

So people need to figure out whats important.

for me, that's not working for a company who's willing to put me or anyone else at risk for no other reason than just having people in an office when the job can be done remotely.

That's me. What some random theoretical 55yo will or won't do is up to them.

Especially if they are not willing to reimburse wfh staff for teabags, the electricity used boiling the kettle, the wear and tear on the drawers where the spoons are.

Damn the man, fight the power!

• Advertisement

Or maybe they could just pay for the additional out of pocket costs for WFH employees, mainly furniture and home heating bills? Is that really too much to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What you describe there with people from Galway or Cork coming in one or two times a month (if even) is what I would call WFH and not hybrid.

Hybrid is where people would be required to come in to the office on certain days and stay at home on certain days.

Our group, who have been 100% WFH since March 2020, were given a survey on what we might like going forward.

It did not include a "0 days per week in the office option", which annoyed some people who are doing fine from home, wondering why they had to come on at least one arbitrary day for the sake of it.

Good luck with that at age 55.

After 50, your chances of even getting an interview go down substantially.

Mortgage protection insurance means that many families would be better off with a dead parent than one who had to take a substantial pay cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

The company I work for was supposed to be doing a return to office in September. I was expecting to hear detailed long before now (when exactly, if they would operate social distancing, if we had to wear masks when indoors etc). Instead total silence and rumours that the return to work won't happen in September and will get pushed back until "the picture gets clearer".

Are other people finding the same? Are other companies abandoning September return to office plans? Perhaps for the reasons stated by other posters.

Sounds like they might have over extended then.

With the high costs of accommodation in some parts of the country, it's possible to be overextended while still have inadequate accommodation.

I was fortunate when I last changed jobs, replacing a 5 hour (bothways)commute with a ten minutes drive & 20% pay cut, that my mortgage payments were less than 10% of take home pay, now fully paid off. Getting back almost 20 a week was well worth the cost of 20% salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

A few elements to take into account:

• Most of the companies have already their plan written off, their office ready with the temperature checks, the furniture moved.... because they were close to reopen or reopened last year. So when they will decide to reopen, most of the companies won't give a long notice. In the companies I know, I would expect an email to employees 7 to 10days before the date.
    • July is probably not the best time to take a decision given the amount of people in the leadership teams that are in holidays. I'd say that people will meet again when everybody will be back 10-15 august.
    • Ireland is really focused on the 26th July and hospitality. I'd expect that the week after, the focus will shift on all the other indoor activities that are not yet reopened, work included. I'd say we'll start articles popping up beginning of August and that should start the ball rolling.

I would not be surprised to see a government advice around the 15th August and the companies starting communicating around the 20th August for people to get back in the office beginning of September. We are not supposed to need a long notice because we should be ready to be back to work as "normal" as stated in our contracts, even if in reality a minority of people have moved far from the office or taken arrangements that are not compatible with going to the office.

• Advertisement

Right, but this is a hypothetical 55yo who most likely bought the house 25 years ago......who's had potentially 25years of increases and promotions.

You can see how quickly this conversations gets pretty nonseneical when we're basically saying chideren would be better of losing a parent than taking a pay cut.

As a 60year old, the situation is not hypothetical, so for me changing jobs at 55 was still possible and was a huge improvement in the quality of life at a cost of -25% (20% after taking into account the reduction in commuting costs) of take home pay.

WFH has reduced the costs of working even more.

But yes it is likely that in some areas, age will be a real negative when it comes to changing jobs, but with the right skills and qualifications (and ideally a lack of competiton) the jobs are there.

Sure, Sorry I was referring to the hypothetical 55yo that was brought up previously that turned out be better off dead than taking a pay cut

Some people will go to any lengths to push a non wfh agenda to the point of killing off parents :D

My employer was trying to bring people back to the office on 10th May when other restrictions started being eased, but obviously that wasn't going to happen. They're desperate to get us back full time ASAP (even the tiny regional offices that only have 2 to 3 people in them, with no public facing roles). It's very frustrating, what is the point in commuting for an hour each way to sit in an office with one other person?

So push back

There has to be stronger justification than "cos thats the why!!1"

there is less distractions for most people at the office. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/pilita-clark-mediocre-workers-have-nowhere-to-hide-at-home-1.4623898 article suggests what i believe is that we are doing more hours at home than in office but are less productive. i prefer the office as i get uninterrupted hours at a time instead of having kids screaming on the road, the delivery drivers, and my lack of self disipline to start tidying during the day.

plus lack of aircon in this heat.

if i was a new company id have in job adverts that i want 100% time in office and see if i get prospective employee interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Most people put on headphones while working and it cuts out noise.

How long does it take to tidy up the house, a few minutes and you could do it on a lunch break.

How many deliveries do you get a day.

In work you are guaranteed to have someone calling over to chat, guaranteed small talk when moving around and more noise.

How can being in an office with people make it more likely you can get uninterrupted hours than being alone with a pair of headphones.

it is pure nonsense to say you have less distractions in the office.

If people are doing more hours at home that's a decision they are making, I certainly have not worked more hours than I need to.

Again haven't the majority of studies I have seen here and from my job that people are as productive at home or even more productive.

If you opened a company advertising you have to be 100% in the office you would be ruling out a lot of potential employees.

maybe its just lack of disipline on my part. when you were doing the leaving cert, did the school offer supervised study? i know studnets that had nice big houses with ample study space but they prefered to pay to have supervised study after school. i benefited from that, or going to the library. i wouldnt be typing this if i was in the office.

This all sounds like a you problem to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I studied in my room for the leaving cert.

It seems like a lack of discipline and you are working more hours because of it.

I just find it strange an adult would need someone supervising them to do work.

Look at the opposite side of it, I have a bit of downtime today, if I was in work I would be roasted in a shirt and pants and bored off my head pretending I am doing work.

I am at home sitting with no t shirt on lovely and chilled, I have the house cleaned and I am going for a nice long walk in the sun.

Next week I could be up to my eyes and have to work till 7 and instead of getting home around 8 and cooking food, I will throw something in the over and close the laptop at 7 and head out to do something.

• Advertisement

Remember all that 'guaranteed small talk'? That's how you learn about other stuff going on outside of your direct area. That's how you learn about new opportunities and managers to avoid. That's how you build relationships outside of your immediate team that stand to you when you expand your role or just need someone to bounce something off.

You shouldn't let your lack of imagination get in the way of seeing the all the benefits of remote working

Great New York Times article on the status of return to the office.

Some interesting take-aways:

• Masks becoming compulsory indoors in offices again at Google.
    • Some companies delaying return to office. Apple has pushed back from September to October.
    • Indeed.com pushing back their return to office beyond the original September date.
    • Many other companies with September returns are "actively monitoring the situation".
    • Companies forced to make very difficult decisions as to whether to reverse plans to reopen offices. Some companies have made u-turns after reopening their offices and have closed them again.
    • Many employers making vaccinations mandatory.
    • 1,000 Apple staff sign letter looking for right to work from home full time.

Delays, u-turns, some pissed off employees with returning, social distancing between desks and painful mask wearing at your desk. Lovely.

September return to the office is looking less and less likely.

WSJ reports ... "The Office Is Back ... What If Covid Has Other Plans?"

• Some companies are rethinking their return-to-office dates. 
    • Some companies feeling pressure to delay from employees who are voicing fresh concern about the spread of the highly transmissible Delta variant, breakthrough cases and unvaccinated people.
    • Apple delay is actually until at least October (rather than till October like the NY Times said) and staff will be given at least 1 month notice of return. (I know other companies saying they have no idea when they will reopen but will give 6 weeks notice before returning).
    • Range of companies who were due to return in September now say they are watching the situation closely.
    • Facebook due to do a full return in October but will 'watch the data'.
    • Facilities-management company Sodexo has said that staff should ware masks in indoor offices.
    • Companies having to stock gloves, N95 masks and other PPI for returning staff.
    • Citi not setting a date for reopening offices. Citi will "consider conditions".
    • Many workers remain worried, especially those with weak immune system are anxious about returning to an indoor workplace.

A new twist on the WFH theme, an office that is like being at home!

Sounds like a desparate attempt to keep business parks alive.

Small talk is never about work.

Its listening to colleagues waffle on for an hour about the football or other sports results, Love Island, their kids, the eternal "what are your plans for the weekend" every Friday followed by "how was your weekend" on Monday followed by a full breakdown. Did you watch this on Netflix? You should watch this on Netflix (and why) all while you smile politely and nod while inside you really couldn't give a shite what new shade of grey they're planning to paint their living room and wish they'd shut up with the stream of endless chatter so you could focus on what you're doing.

Oh the peace for the last 16 months has been wonderful!

It's probably fair to say that for some people, this small talk is their only social outlet.

That's kindof sad if you think about it, for these people getting back to the office is a way to avoid loneliness.

Yes, it is sad when you think about it.

But in the context of the thread, I nor anyone else should be asked to return WFO just because someone else is lonely and has no other social outlet.

Keeping my colleagues company is not part of my contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That's as sweeping a generalisation as saying people who favour working from home full time are work shy layabouts.

• Advertisement

Agree 100% with this. I should not have pressure to go back to the office because others miss the social interaction

Advertisement