Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

The 20% in hospital being vaccinated is a little disappointing. Maybe I expected too much. But think of any of us, after 2 shots, ending up in covid with hospital would upset you.

Is there any more info on the 20%, age group, more vulnerable or is it just random?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Has anyone here missed one or more days from work after their 2nd vaccine? I was out today -- I'm very tired after my 2nd Pfizer vaccine on Monday. I'm considering taking tomorrow off also -- I'll decide in the morn. I'm just curious as to the experience of others who were in this situation. Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Nope, got my second yesterday and so far feeling fine, arms a litt sore is all. I'm tired but had some Xanax so can't really attribute it to a side effect 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

I'm retired, so didn't miss work, but I wasn't fit to move for about 36 hours after my 2nd Pfizer. The vaccines (both jabs) set off my gallstones, especially the 2nd jab, I was in agony day and night for about 36 hours. I wouldn't have been able to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Time limits for indoor hospitality to be scrapped. More at 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Tomorrow is my day 10 (wasn’t positive on first test after close contact) yet haven’t had a text for a covid test. Should I just do a walk in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Was fairly banjaxed after the second Moderna shot. Got it in the afternoon and went to work the next day, bit tired, then it hit me that evening, could barely walk, muscles seized up and had joint pains. Was way better the day after though so short lived.

If you need it you should take it off.

A colleague never got the text but he checked the portal and his appointment was on there for the next day. Check if you haven't already.

Sorry read that wrong, thought it was a vaccine you were waiting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Do you only receive the covid-19 cert when your fully vaccinated?

Hasn't the evidence shown that one shot of pfizer is basically the same as one shot of the janseen vaccine?

Bit odd that someone who gets pfizer has to wait about 4 extra weeks and someone who gets j&j is immediately seen as fully vaccinated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

9 people study using bloodwork. Mental that made the editors cut particularly with that headline. There has been two other small scale studies that contradict that directly.

None of these 3 have been peer reviewed so probably needs more analysis to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Make your decision in the morning. I was banjaxed the day after getting my 2nd Pfizer vaccine and had some aches and pains. I slept like a log that night and when I woke the next morning, I felt great. I got a pretty good night's sleep into the bargain, something I wouldn't mind at the moment with the weather we're having

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

wow, same here. Mine was after the 2nd shot of Moderna

• Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are we at a stage where another big lockdown is effectively off the cards because of the EU cert and the fact it can be used for Hospitality here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The fact that so many people are vaccinated is why another lockdown is not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Ending up in Covid with Hospital wouldn’t be nice alright, then again… Nurses!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So now they're telling us how many people in hospital have had the vaccine

If they can give out this information why aren't they telling us the ages and underlying conditions of those in hospitals?

Why aren't they telling us how many are admitted because of Covid or because of something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Think I’ll breakout the tinfoil now, it’s getting ridiculous at this stage. Media and the powers that be are actually making the conspiracy theorists look good. You’ve also got the hypochondriac type covid twitchers ( formally known as a curtain twitcher that was sick of looking at said self in the window) reacting to every bit of covid news like it’s the fooking apocalypse… messy times!

Think I got lucky, got it Monday and still no effects!

• Advertisement

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Hi gipi. Oh, that was unfortunate. I hope you're better now.

Still no side effects, but tired but as I said I'm on xanax too so hard to tell, arm is okay to was far worse for the first one!

Hi Mimon. I decided early this morn to take a second day off. Down money but health should come first. (:

Hi Tork. My sleep is not too good at normal temperatures. These last few nights, sleeping properly is very difficult. I''ll likely go back to work tomorrow. Cheers. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So yesterday (RTE) they said the Chief Operations Officer with the Health Service Executive Anne O'Connor said one in five people being admitted to hospital who are Covid positive are vaccinated. She said that "even for people who are admitted to hospital, who are vaccinated, their outcomes are better, so they're not becoming as sick, so that is a really positive thing."

I found this particularly interesting - but like Deeper Blue, I'd like more facts behind the statement - how many of the 89 odd in hospital are there because of covid?

"She said not everyone who is being admitted to hospital is being admitted because they are Covid positive, adding that their admission may be for another reason and they happen to be Covid positive as well."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭bloopy

Hasn't the because of/with covid argument been a sticking point throughout this whole mess.

I don't think they've ever broken down the numbers that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

20% being admitted are vaccinated seems a bit high. Did they say if these people were partially or fully vaccinated?

Some of us have been saying this for months. Of course we have all the data but it is not being shared with the public unless it suits the narrative. Numbers are meaningless without drilling down into them.

How many people died only because of Covid vs Covid as a contributory factor?

How many are in hospital only because of Covid vs those that tested positive while in hospital?

Of the people in hospital ONLY because of Covid, how many are fully vaccinated?

How long are people in ICU? The figure seems quite stubborn so possibly a number of people have being in for several weeks.

Without these details the numbers are fairly meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well it's kind of to be expected if you run the numbers.

At any given time, a certain number of vaccinated people will get infected. As the number of vaccinated people goes up, the share of infected people who are also vaccinated, goes up. The key metric is the total # in hospital, not the percent of hospitalisations who are vaccinated.

"How many are in hospital only because of Covid vs those that tested positive while in hospital?"

It was possible to work this out up to the point of the hack. You could never find out exactly how many were admitted because of covid and how many were admitted with covid, but you could at least work out how many tested positive without being a new admission (i.e. picked it up in hospital).

It was running pretty solidly at 40%, but the vaccination programme has likely changed all that. Without the data though it's impossible to say.

Advertisement