Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

We all have different opinions regarding the pandemic and how we manage it. The restrictions for me are linked to freedom which is a fundamental need of mine. I think life is ours to be lived but I do appreciate we have our own way in interpretating that statement.

England have very few restrictions for months now anyways. Indoor dining has been open since May. They had packed stadiums for the Euro's. Silverstone was packed yesterday.

The only major change is you can officially ditch the mask.

Nothing is going to happen over there that isn't already happening. I know people have developed a bit of an obsession with lockdowns and restrictions but it is no longer necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭User1998

So your fully vaccinated but your not going to dine indoors incase you have to self isolate? So basically your restricting your movements to prevent the tiny chance of you having to self isolate? That is not getting on with life and is an awful risk assessment of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭User1998

Alcohol sales have barely decreased despite pubs being closed for almost a year and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

1 fully vaccinated!!!!

Quick close the borders and shoot down all incoming aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1417157550269677570

As of midnight, Sunday 18th July, we are reporting

1017* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

20 in ICU. 101 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

Cases going down but rise in Hospital (yes I know weekend).

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1417158362924560390

Our 14-day incidence is now the highest it’s been since 24 February at 231/100,000. Our five-day average is 1,159 cases per day, the highest it’s been since 2 February.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭brickster69

How are you going to do that without an air force 🤣🤣

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospital totals likely be affected by that Mayo hospital outbreak. ICU is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No . Its my choice , it doesn’t effect you or anyone else . I have commitments so prefer not to risk having to isolate for 10 days . Right now it suits me to eat outdoors and not indoors so it’s absolutely my choice . If you call it restricting movement then thats fine but its not restricting me at all as I enjoy eating outdoors and can choose a fine day to meet friends

Over 1,700 people have tested positive for coronavirus in Northern Ireland in the last 24 hours.

Latest figures within the latest 24-hour reporting period reveal 1,776 people have tested positive for the virus. That is over three times the number reported on Sunday.

A total of 140,322 people here have had a confirmed diagnosis of the virus since Meanwhile, a total of 2,168,431 Covid-19 vaccines had been administered in Northern Ireland as of Monday afternoon.

Of those, 1,202,031 were first doses and 978,587 people had received two doses.

On Monday, 102 patients with Covid-19 were being treated hospitals - that number was up from 92 on Friday.

Seven patients were in intensive care units; three were on ventilators and hospital occupancy was at 100%. Three sites are over capacity. 

There are 26 care homes dealing with an outbreak. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I think the outdoorsy thing might be here to stay as people are actually enjoying it.

Sometimes the weather here's not suitable, but a lot of the year there are good opportunities to sit out and they've been stifled by extremely draconian and expensive city / county council regulations and charges for outdoor seating more than anything else.

I could definitely see it being part of the mix now that it's established and not as a social distancing measure, but just that it can be nice to sit out with a coffee / lunch for quite a large chunk of the year.

Personally, I can't see myself rushing to cram into a pub for the foreseeable future. I think that may take a while before everyone's totally comfortable with it. The vaccines will have to demonstrate themselves for a few months before I think you'll see that feeling totally normal again.

Also, I quite genuinely didn't enjoy indoor dining when it's been ultra vigilant about wiping surfaces and washing things down and everyone going around on edge.

What's been lost for me in the last couple of years, and it's something I don't feel outside, is that ability to forget your surroundings and just enjoy life.

I don't feel like I can just wander around browsing anymore. It's not the same and I don't think it will be for quite some time. That's not just Irish regulations either, it's more of a general thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I see he didn't put covid deaths on there. You never have to give an opinion, just selectively pick the data and let the poor fools that follow think they have independently drawn their own conclusions.

UK reports 39,950 new Covid cases as weekly cases rise 41%

Also 60% of UK Covid hospital admissions have had two vaccine doses!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭brickster69

Big jump considering they have conducted 3 x the amount of tests than last week.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

did I just here rte news correctly saying 60% of hospital admissions in the UK have received two vaccines?

that seems quite high?

or is this rte playing the figures by only taking into account numbers in the last day or something?

It comes from Patrick Vallance  and is quoted in the Guardian as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well 68% of the adult population is fully vaccinated and those vaccinated are generally older/more vulnerable to infection. Not surprising and soon 80% of people here and in the UK admitted to hospital will likely be double vaccinated

If that’s true that means the vaccines aren’t doing their job as well as the manufacturers thought they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Advertisement

It's unclear what it means at the moment. It's a stat without data so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

I think that is why I enjoyed the most with Covid and the amount of data available to anybody: seeing how journalism is just cherry picking the data that help your story and forgetting everything else. "Three times the number reported on sunday", as if the journalist did not know that there were 1400 cases reported on Saturday and that Sunday data have never been a good metric in the last 15months.

For Northern Ireland, cases are compared to the day before so that they can show a high increase. For UK in general, let's compare them to 7days ago to get a high increase as well.

If you take UK case numbers day by day, there is a decrease two days in a row, today's numbers are a 28% decrease compared to Saturday. Average of 40deaths per day in the last 7days, which is 31times less than in January and as low as July 2020. The peak is passed in Scotland, there is a chance that England is reaching it this week, so looking forward to seeing how journalists will have to find tricks to find data that match the "Delta fear" stories

Think we'd need to wait a few more days to see if it is a downward trend. Of more interest to them and us are hospitalisation changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

AstraZeneca is effectively useless against the South African variant and the UK is really scared about this, hence the move on France recently where there has been a surge of this variant.

Pfizer has a lower rate of symptoms than AstraZeneca. As Ireland is 75%+ mRNA we are in a better place but both vaccines are good and if we only had AstraZeneca we would be doing very well.

The primary goal of the vaccines is to stop people dying/getting serious illness, they are not perfect, the fact they may reduce transmission etc was a bonus. They are doing an amazing job if you compare the cases vs deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

You'll always get breakthrough infections. Stats about age and other indicators will be useful but people will still get sick, go to hospital etc.

Usual flu efficacy is about 50-60% and a lot of the older people who die of flu have been vaxxed. They help but don't fully eradicate it

Also the more revealing statistic won't be hospitalisations/deaths in vaxxed people but simply the proportion of those overall who are positive and vaxxed v those not vaxxed

Unfortunately due to simple logic the majority of deaths going forward here will likely be fully vaxxed and people will jump to the wrong conclusions as a result

No it doesn't. People really need to learn the concept of base rate bias.

The vaccinated includes a greater proportion of older people and those with comorbidities. The unvaccinated consists of younger, healthier people for whom the risk of hospitalization is lower.

As more people are vaccinated absolute numbers of hospitalization compared to cases will come DOWN but the proportion of those who are vaccinated will go UP.

Remember if you vaccinated 100% of the population then 100% of hospitalizations would be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

The problem of throwing a number without an explanation of what it measures. Technically what has been said is : ""In terms of the number of people in hospital who've been double vaccinated, we know it's around 60% of the people being admitted to hospital with COVID,"

"Admitted with covid" So does it count people going to the hospital FOR covid symptoms, or the grandmother who is going to get a hip surgery and that gets swabbed positive when admitted in the hospital? She has covid but no symptoms, but would be counted as admitted with covid.

If there are 60% of vaccinated people who have enough covid symptoms to require an admission to the hospital, it is concerning (though the data should be compared to a benchmark of the same unvaccinated population, so if they are mostly > 60yo, 60% is still better than a year ago when 85% of people in the hospitals for covid were >60yo). But if they are in the hospital for another reason and tested positive, then that is not alarming.

It can also possible that there are covid outbreaks in some hospitals, contaminating vaccinated and unvaccinated people. If there are 95% people vaccinated in the hospital at the time of the outbreak, and that of all the positive swabs, only 60% belong to the 95% vaccinated, that is good news. So again, we need to know how many people are admitted because of covid symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

it’ll be a fairly obvious case study as the vaccine mix is different, with Pfizer-BioNTech having been the mainstay in Ireland and AstraZeneca seemingly being dominant in the U.K.

There was also a lot of mucking about with spreading doses in the U.K. that didn’t occur here. Even tho many have now been double vaccinated they didn’t follow the protocol set out by Pfizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's hard to know for sure without more details. But going by age, over 50's account for 5% of all new cases in the UK and 60% of all hospitalisations are fully vaccinated. I'm sure you could dig through previous data to find the hospitalisation rate for over 50's in previous waves vs this wave. My guess is there should be a reduction and possibly give a rough guide to the efficacy vs delta based on hospitalisation.

Advertisement