Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

jayp2020 wrote: »
    Completely agree. We're so out of step with the rest of the world and we can't even see it anymore due to the insular, hysterical media coverage.

Just had a look at Le Monde (France) online there. They have an entire section with 19 stories over the past 24 hours, just on C19. Then another section dedicated entirely to vaccines with over 20 stories. Lots of worried politicians and experts.

On to Der Spiegel (Germany) and the top 4 stories are C19. Another wave, vaccines, people in power are worried. Experts are worried.

El Pais (Spain) top 5 stories are C19. Pressure on hospitals, experts worried, people asking to government to REINTRODUCE restrictions.

La Republicca (Italy) C19 top story.

That’s just Europe. Hysterical obviously.

Just had a look at Le Monde (France) online there. They have an entire section with 19 stories over the past 24 hours, just on C19. Then another section dedicated entirely to vaccines with over 20 stories. Lots of worried politicians and experts.

On to Der Spiegel (Germany) and the top 4 stories are C19. Another wave, vaccines, people in power are worried. Experts are worried.

El Pais (Spain) top 5 stories are C19. Pressure on hospitals, experts worried, people asking to government to REINTRODUCE restrictions.

La Republicca (Italy) C19 top story.

That’s just Europe. Hysterical obviously.

The real hysteria are those hysterical voices shouting hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

RTÉ getting desperate to wheel out anyone who'll pump the doom angle now the end is near. The wet fart that is the Delta variant has hit them hard

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jayp2020

I have a good friend living on the Costa, another in Barcelona and the situation is very, very different there now, life going on as normal, pubs and nightclubs open and very few restrictions.

I have a good friend living on the Costa, another in Barcelona and the situation is very, very different there now, life going on as normal, pubs and nightclubs open and very few restrictions.

Can be handy sometimes to keep abreast of the news

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210706-spain-s-catalonia-region-reimposes-covid-19-restrictions-as-cases-spike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Most developed counties are just getting on with it now and then there is Ireland, concerned.

lol, yeah they've brought in some new local restrictions as of this evening - negative pcr tests required for gatherings of more than 500 etc. - no I don't check the Spanish news on the hour - you're kind of missing the point here, even with some new local, regionally-specific controls don't you see just how completely different it all is from Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

lol, yeah they've brought in some new local restrictions as of this evening - negative pcr tests required for gatherings of more than 500 etc. - no I don't check the Spanish news on the hour - you're kind of missing the point here, even with some new local, regionally-specific controls don't you see just how completely different it all is from Ireland??

We all have friends living in normal countries, those who don't need only look at their tellies with packed stadiums everywhere to get an inkling we might be doing something wrong....

The problem is too many of us can't bring ourselves to admit we are a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Friend in the states saying everything open. Just checked

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

Looks like he's right.

We've over 20% unemployment in Ireland now including pup. Doesn't seem to be much Tal about that...

We all have friends living in normal countries, those who don't need only look at their tellies with packed stadiums everywhere to get an inkling we might be doing something wrong....

The problem is too many of us can't bring ourselves to admit we are a shambles.

and Nphet/govt (in my view it's all the one) can't bring themselves to admit they over-reacted and have backed themselves into a corner. Remember March 2020 when we couldn't go beyond 2k of home...guards were parked at the top of my estate checking people going in and out in case we might bring in the virus...Jeepers when I think of it now it's like a crazy alternate reality. Hysterical over-reaction doesn't even begin to cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Most developed counties are just getting on with it now and then there is Ireland, concerned.

Starting to think will it ever end. Not a peep about ever stopping wearing masks, social distancing etc. What the hell are they testing a few hundred people at GAA games and that godawful concert held a few days ago. It's like they're preparing for this to go on indefinately...without so much as a whimper from mainstream media. Just more threats of lockdowns, variants and whatever else they can make up to keep the fire burning. Is anyone asking when it'll end? Will it end when all the good boys and girls get vaccines, like fck it will...they'll invent something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The clubs are closing next week. They were operating at 50% capacity, masks obligatory on dance floor, was illegal NOT TO WEAR A MASK OUTSIDE up until last week. But yeah, normal.

And now their cases are surging, hospitals already under pressure in first week of July, almost certainly going to have to lock down again.

Something we won’t need to do if the government don’t bend to the will of the small but vocal minority of ardent indoor diners, most of whom I’m sure dined exclusively in the nearest greasy spoon, or as a treat, the local carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

RTE back to form with the India craziness. I love this game. If something suits the fear agenda, you get to stoop to using some 'study' thrown about by a casual research group. Totally legit.

But anything of that nature pointing the other way gets dismissed as a nutjob conspiracy theory. We are instead redirected to the official figures.

Think about how nuts this claim below is. They are basically saying that 9 out of every 10 Covid cases was hidden/forgotten/set aside for a later date by doctors, but somehow later disclosed to the study group or the WHO or whoever. Hilarious reaching.

And again an utter refusal in the case of a populous developing nation to refer to any kind of denominator with their figures. High absolute figures are much scarier.

The truth when denominators are added to the reckoning is that India is not even in the top 100 of Covid-stricken countries.

The most galling thing for RTE and the agendaists now is normality in Britain. Very interesting to watch their selective handing of that. Be prepared for some shameless cherrypicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I had a good chuckle at reading the RTE website and they talk of Portugal going under curfew. I was inside a pub reading it at the time. Hysterical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

I got really annoyed when Catriona Perry was interviewing gerry Killen recently. He was giving numbers, as he does, and she looked to him and said, so is the delta variant what's keeping you up at night?

He didn't say anything was keeping him up at night, those are your words ms newscaster, not his. I guess he wasn't scary enough so she had to up the ante a bit.

Is it time to crack open each other's heads and feast on the goo inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

That's funny. I guess they had Killeen on because he's so extremist and alarmist in his views, and they hoped that would be conveyed to the viewers. it sounded like he was relatively calm, but the RTE presenter tried nevertheless to pre-empt him into being sensationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Why don't you load up the RTE Sport Cricket section there again and let me know how the replacement England side got on in their 3 match ODI series against Pakistan? The same series the RTE sports department thought was headline news worthy three weeks ago 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

RTE have stopped covering the UK situation it seems. They've barely mentioned our neighbours for the last couple of weeks. Why so I wonder? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I’d be interested to see RTEs ratings of late. With a lower level of fear amongst the public coupled with looser restrictions there surely has to be fewer people tuning in for the numbers and the daily marination of fear and anxiety.

RTEs Achilles heel has always been producing entertaining and escapist television capable of making people laugh and feel good.

Without Covid they’re like a upturned turtle.

I’m sure we’ll be treated to a country music Late Late special as a reward for the last 16 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Can’t be bothered wading through the nonsense, but welcome to the club, OP. Between coronavirus denial and lockdown fanaticism, there is a sensible middle-ground that is almost completely silent in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭brickster69

They won't mention that, team GB number 1 in Europe in that as well

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Collapsing case numbers, sure who wants to hear that.

The Irish establishment also can't stand that Boris was right on Brexit, schooled the EU on vaccine roll out, called Freedom Day at the right time etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

If you lads ever decide to make your anger more visible, be sure to get the right building

https://twitter.com/daraobriain/status/1424747257585442818?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭growleaves

Anthony Staines appears in the media more often than James Corden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Headline on RTE this morning:

"Number of Covid-19 patients in hospitals increases"

At this stage how the **** do they not realise that there are few (if any) discharges on the weekends? How are these people journalists?

Clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Why is that? Because the consultants who discharge patients normally work Mon-Fri or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Are you questioning the ESRIs methodologies? If so, what specifically are they doing incorrectly?

I venture it might be a good place for the ordinary folk to start ?

The past 18 months has largely been about ordinary folk NOT being seen to,or facilitated to question,ANYTHING to do with the Covid response topic.

Even here on Boards,the home of open discourse & discussion,conversations inevitably were guided to the need for "Everybody to pull together" as "we are all in this together" and other suitable National Emergency tones.

I would question whether the Representative groups as described by our Statistician de jour,were drawn form the ranks of the already decidedly compliant and from those with a predeliction for ensureing Everybody else complied as well ?

I have little interest either way,as the ESRI,being inexorably linked with established Irish Politics,can hardly be expected to swim against an overwhelming National Health Emergency current,given that the 587 ICU beds sought in 2009,have yet to materialise........I wonder would the ESRI bother asking de Publik about that ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement