Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish media hysteria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fears-cork-anti-lockdown-protest-could-be-super-spreader-event-40164807.html

Cork protest could be super spreader.

It was the mass protests that were welcomed by political establishments across the world in particular the US that for me determined how seriously to actually take the threat of this virus, here we are 8 months later and the tune is different.

If you still trust media outlets remember, they think you are stupid, don't prove them right is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fears-cork-anti-lockdown-protest-could-be-super-spreader-event-40164807.html

Cork protest could be super spreader.

It was the mass protests that were welcomed by political establishments across the world in particular the US that for me determined how seriously to actually take the threat of this virus, here we are 8 months later and the tune is different.

If you still trust media outlets remember, they think you are stupid, don't prove them right is my advice.
    Ok we’ll listen to you instead, what do you want to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Can you not figure out how to think for yourself, too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can you not figure out how to think for yourself, too much to ask?

I’m grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

According to that list France has much lighter restrictions than we do.
    They have a 6pm to 6am curfew in place nationwide. And will do for another 4 to 6 weeks.

Ranking the severity of various lockdowns isn't straightforward, and that Stringency Index does a particularly bad job of it I think.

There is an overnight curfew which you can break for a whole bunch of reasons that you self certify with your phone

For this weekend and last, in two counties (out of 90) there's a 5km restriction. For 4 days. Not like the 6 months you are experiencing in Ireland. It may be extended but history shows that if they do extend it, it will be for a very limited period of time

I've been in France since Christmas. It's a million miles from the Irish experience. Both the restrictions, the attitude and the government response. Far more freedom in France

We have discussed the Ireland v France attitude with Irish expat friends here. They generally don't discuss their daily lives with friends back home because of the Irish attitude. Telling someone back home that you called to your friends for lunch or went hiking in the mountains would require the Irish breaking out the smelling salts, not to mention the tut-tutting. The Irish really do not realise how restricted life is at home relative to our European neighbours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Diarmuid wrote: »
    There is an overnight curfew which you can break for a whole bunch of reasons that you self certify with your phone

For this weekend and last, in two counties (out of 90) there's a 5km restriction. For 4 days. Not like the 6 months you are experiencing in Ireland. It may be extended but history shows that if they do extend it, it will be for a very limited period of time

I've been in France since Christmas. It's a million miles from the Irish experience. Both the restrictions, the attitude and the government response. Far more freedom in France

We have discussed the Ireland v France attitude with Irish expat friends here. They generally don't discuss their daily lives with friends back home because of the Irish attitude. Telling someone back home that you called to your friends for lunch or went hiking in the mountains would require the Irish breaking out the smelling salts, not to mention the tut-tutting. The Irish really do not realise how restricted life is at home relative to our European neighbours

Paddy knows best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Totally, had this discussion on here before.

The amount of people who actually think “well it could be worse, we don’t have a curfew” who don’t actually understand what that curfew means in reality compared to what we have is scary!

They’re generally the ones who think we really don’t have many restrictions, sure I went to a shop today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why is this the generic response when someone doesn't take the general media's word for something?

If someone suggests you shop around for home insurance do you immediately challenge them to quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There are 2 countries that we tend to mimic, Britain and the U.S. We've mimicked Britain for Lockdown rules but conveniently took our eyes off the U.S. The rest of Europe the media have ignored bar the rules that would increase Irelands Lockdown like Curfews.

The media will have nowhere to turn when the UK reopens.

There are 2 countries that we tend to mimic, Britain and the U.S. We've mimicked Britain for Lockdown rules but conveniently took our eyes off the U.S. The rest of Europe the media have ignored bar the rules that would increase Irelands Lockdown like Curfews.

The media will have nowhere to turn when the UK reopens.

RTE has been an utter disgrace throughout this pandemic, as have many of our so called experts, Luke O'Neill, Sam McConkey, Tomas Ryan (a neuroscientist) and the utterly demented Jerry Killeen who stated recently on Prime Time that he had lived through 4 pandemics and personally ended two of them. Was not even questioned on that statement. If he said he helped St Patrick banish the snakes, Claire Byrne would ask him which snakes we had in 5th century Ireland. Shows you how bad they are.

Utterly terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

RTE has been an utter disgrace throughout this pandemic, as have many of our so called experts, Luke O'Neill, Sam McConkey, Tomas Ryan (a neuroscientist) and the utterly demented Jerry Killeen who stated recently on Prime Time that he had lived through 4 pandemics and personally ended two of them. Was not even questioned on that statement. If he said he helped St Patrick banish the snakes, Claire Byrne would ask him which snakes we had in 5th century Ireland. Shows you how bad they are.

Utterly terrible.

What about the amazing George Lee in RTE?
    An expert in absolutely everything.... :rolleyes:
    but will not, under any circumstance, allow any bit of positive news to be heard.
    Number dropping, oh its very worrying...
    ICU numbers at their lowest in months, oh its very worrying...
    I personally feel RTE have lost whatever bit of credibility they had left.
    There are a few who are worth their pay like Micheál Lehane and one or two more but the rest are nothing more than a glorified bunch of grossly overpaid incompetent journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

thisNthat wrote: »
    What about the amazing George Lee in RTE?
    An expert in absolutely everything.... :rolleyes:
    but will not, under any circumstance, allow any bit of positive news to be heard.
    Number dropping, oh its very worrying...
    ICU numbers at their lowest in months, oh its very worrying...
    I personally feel RTE have lost whatever bit of credibility they had left.
    There are a few who are worth their pay like Micheál Lehane and one or two more but the rest are nothing more than a glorified bunch of grossly overpaid incompetent journalists.

They aren't journalists. They are PR workers and spokespeople.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Utterly terrible.

What has Luke O'Neill done wrong?

I think he's the only one who has looked for any kind of positivity and hope in his contributions, as well as actually trying to explain what everything means.

What ever about the rest of them but Luke O'Neill being a 'disgrace' I think is really harsh.

Faugheen wrote: »
    What has Luke O'Neill done wrong?

I think he's the only one who has looked for any kind of positivity and hope in his contributions, as well as actually trying to explain what everything means.

What ever about the rest of them but Luke O'Neill being a 'disgrace' I think is really harsh.

Embracing celebrity status. Playing guitar on NYE special. Standing in that ridiculous bubble thing on Claire Byrne Live.

None of us (outside of those who work in related fields) should know who these people are. The fact they've become celebrities is so depressing.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Embracing celebrity status. Playing guitar on NYE special. Standing in that ridiculous bubble thing on Claire Byrne Live.

None of us (outside of those who work in related fields) should know who these people are. The fact they've become celebrities is so depressing.

So because he made a name for himself with his fair, balanced contributions to COVID-19, people then looked into him and what he did, and found out he was in a band.

Why should he turn it down? He's not a member of NPHET, he's clearly a very outgoing man whom a lot of people have grown to like over the course of the last year.

Sounds like you're just begrudging him, if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So because he made a name for himself with his fair, balanced contributions to COVID-19, people then looked into him and what he did, and found out he was in a band.

Why should he turn it down? He's not a member of NPHET, he's clearly a very outgoing man whom a lot of people have grown to like over the course of the last year.

Not too balanced on the AZ pause of last week, despite the clear reasoning behind it. I think he's a bit of a Tigger, the positivity is welcome but sometimes exuberantly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He puts on a kind of disarming, everyman act...usually as he’s floating ideas that trample over basic civil liberties...

Laughing away saying “this is great!” as he’s inside a plastic “zorb” holding up a sign saying “I need to pee”, throwing out the idea of unremovable body tags to show you’re vaccinated etc.

I don't believe people should be personally benefiting out of all this, when so many people's lives have been ruined.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not too balanced on the AZ pause of last week, despite the clear reasoning behind it.

Exactly, he had clear reasoning behind it. While everyone else was being cautious on it he specifically said the science is being ignored.

That is a balanced view, in my book, and the EMA judgement backed him up.

I don't believe people should be personally benefiting out of all this, when so many people's lives have been ruined.

So no one person should be benefitting from this?

Nobody at all? Nobody who was able to transform their business to deal with the pandemic?

That's absolutely ridiculous. Loads of people have benefitted from the pandemic when a lot of people have lost their jobs. If everyone decided to give up because of everyone else then we wouldn't have an economy to go back to.

• Advertisement

So no one person should be benefitting from this?

Nobody at all? Nobody who was able to transform their business to deal with the pandemic?

That's absolutely ridiculous. Loads of people have benefitted from the pandemic when a lot of people have lost their jobs. If everyone decided to give up because of everyone else then we wouldn't have an economy to go back to.

Health "expert" public figures personally benefitting from pushing a narrative that is ruining other people's lives, nope I don't agree with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Health "expert" public figures personally benefitting from pushing a narrative that is ruining other people's lives, nope I don't agree with that.

Well you’d first have to produce some factual evidence of Irish public health officials benefiting from this before I’d even begin to take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Exactly, he had clear reasoning behind it. While everyone else was being cautious on it he specifically said the science is being ignored.

That is a balanced view, in my book, and the EMA judgement backed him up.

Glad to hear someone questioned, the complete lack of urgency to re-start AZ vaccinatios - we are way behind on vaccinations, the leaks coming out were that EMA had deemed AZ safe on Tuesday , yet the people had to wait until late on Friday to get official response/ok. No dynamic action by HSE, when we have been in a 12 month pandemic, with a never-ending lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well the alternative argument is that the narrative is about saving lives. Why the "'s around expert?? A bit Michael Govesque

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well you’d first have to produce some factual evidence of Irish public health officials benefiting from this before I’d even begin to take you seriously.

Are Sam McKonkey, Luke O'Neill etc offering their many media appearances free of charge?

What narrative has Luke O'Neill pushed that has encouraged ruining people's lives?

Seriously start backing up your nonsense with some evidence.

And he works in the field of immunology. He is very much an expert in this field.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Are Sam McKonkey, Luke O'Neill etc offering their many media appearances free of charge?

If you have to ask the question, then you clearly have no evidence to support your rant. Like I sad, you’re not to be taken seriously until you produce actual facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Luke O’Neill is a household name since Covid arrived and used his new found fame to put out the obligatory crap book that should be filed in the ‘Christmas present for lazy people’ category.

Luke O’Neill is a household name since Covid arrived and used his new found fame to put out the obligatory crap book that should be filed in the ‘Christmas present for lazy people’ category.

Luke O’Neill has been around long before COVID-19. He’s had a regular slot on the Pat Kenny show for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

What narrative has Luke O'Neill pushed that has encouraged ruining people's lives?

Told us not to pass the gravy boat at Xmas.

giphy.gif

Advertisement