Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

The Irish media hysteria

Comments

• jayp2020 wrote: »
    Completely agree. We're so out of step with the rest of the world and we can't even see it anymore due to the insular, hysterical media coverage.

Just had a look at Le Monde (France) online there. They have an entire section with 19 stories over the past 24 hours, just on C19. Then another section dedicated entirely to vaccines with over 20 stories. Lots of worried politicians and experts.

On to Der Spiegel (Germany) and the top 4 stories are C19. Another wave, vaccines, people in power are worried. Experts are worried.

El Pais (Spain) top 5 stories are C19. Pressure on hospitals, experts worried, people asking to government to REINTRODUCE restrictions.

La Republicca (Italy) C19 top story.

That’s just Europe. Hysterical obviously.

• Just had a look at Le Monde (France) online there. They have an entire section with 19 stories over the past 24 hours, just on C19. Then another section dedicated entirely to vaccines with over 20 stories. Lots of worried politicians and experts.

On to Der Spiegel (Germany) and the top 4 stories are C19. Another wave, vaccines, people in power are worried. Experts are worried.

El Pais (Spain) top 5 stories are C19. Pressure on hospitals, experts worried, people asking to government to REINTRODUCE restrictions.

La Republicca (Italy) C19 top story.

That’s just Europe. Hysterical obviously.

The real hysteria are those hysterical voices shouting hysteria

• I have a good friend living on the Costa, another in Barcelona and the situation is very, very different there now, life going on as normal, pubs and nightclubs open and very few restrictions.

I have a good friend living on the Costa, another in Barcelona and the situation is very, very different there now, life going on as normal, pubs and nightclubs open and very few restrictions.

Can be handy sometimes to keep abreast of the news

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210706-spain-s-catalonia-region-reimposes-covid-19-restrictions-as-cases-spike

• Advertisement

I have a good friend living on the Costa, another in Barcelona and the situation is very, very different there now, life going on as normal, pubs and nightclubs open and very few restrictions.

Most developed counties are just getting on with it now and then there is Ireland, concerned.

• lol, yeah they've brought in some new local restrictions as of this evening - negative pcr tests required for gatherings of more than 500 etc. - no I don't check the Spanish news on the hour - you're kind of missing the point here, even with some new local, regionally-specific controls don't you see just how completely different it all is from Ireland??

• Advertisement

The clubs are closing next week. They were operating at 50% capacity, masks obligatory on dance floor, was illegal NOT TO WEAR A MASK OUTSIDE up until last week. But yeah, normal.

And now their cases are surging, hospitals already under pressure in first week of July, almost certainly going to have to lock down again.

Something we won’t need to do if the government don’t bend to the will of the small but vocal minority of ardent indoor diners, most of whom I’m sure dined exclusively in the nearest greasy spoon, or as a treat, the local carvery.

• That's funny. I guess they had Killeen on because he's so extremist and alarmist in his views, and they hoped that would be conveyed to the viewers. it sounded like he was relatively calm, but the RTE presenter tried nevertheless to pre-empt him into being sensationalist.

• Advertisement

• They won't mention that, team GB number 1 in Europe in that as well

• If you lads ever decide to make your anger more visible, be sure to get the right building

https://twitter.com/daraobriain/status/1424747257585442818?s=19

• Anthony Staines appears in the media more often than James Corden.

• Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Why is that? Because the consultants who discharge patients normally work Mon-Fri or what?

• Advertisement

• Are you questioning the ESRIs methodologies? If so, what specifically are they doing incorrectly?

I venture it might be a good place for the ordinary folk to start ?

The past 18 months has largely been about ordinary folk NOT being seen to,or facilitated to question,ANYTHING to do with the Covid response topic.

Even here on Boards,the home of open discourse & discussion,conversations inevitably were guided to the need for "Everybody to pull together" as "we are all in this together" and other suitable National Emergency tones.

I would question whether the Representative groups as described by our Statistician de jour,were drawn form the ranks of the already decidedly compliant and from those with a predeliction for ensureing Everybody else complied as well ?

I have little interest either way,as the ESRI,being inexorably linked with established Irish Politics,can hardly be expected to swim against an overwhelming National Health Emergency current,given that the 587 ICU beds sought in 2009,have yet to materialise........I wonder would the ESRI bother asking de Publik about that ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement