Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish 'Fashion' trends from when you were a teen

• 06-07-2021 6:31pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What trends do you remember and shudder to think back on? What trends do you still do or think could still be decent today?

I remember when 'step' haircuts were a big trend. Sorta silly looking now. Never looked right on me with my cows lick fringe anyway.

Bomber Jackets.

Doc Martins

X-Worx Jeans

LA Gear

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Actually LA Gear with the 3 sets of laces.
    White, Black and whatever matching day-glo colour the runners (runner-boots) had.
    Massive tongue sticking up too. Silky tracksuit tucked behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

iamstop wrote: »
    I remember when 'step' haircuts were a big trend. Sorta silly looking now. Never looked right on me with my cows lick fringe anyway.

I had that, combined with a cow's lick-defying centre parting. My brother christened the centre parting as "a dick rest".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Barry McGuigan tashes among some fellas. Continued into the 90s as the wacker tash. Largely disappeared post 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

Moon boots. Big padded basketball type boots but in silvery and gold space suit colors. I vaguely remember wanting a pair so I'm guessing about the mid eighties.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tracksuit bottoms with popper buttons all up the side.

Eclipse and X Work jeans.

Nike Air Max, which are back in fashion now!

Chokers, which are also back in fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

iamstop wrote: »
    Naff Naff jackets.

These have come back

https://naffco54.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bermuda shorts with day glo colours.

Road chinos/cords, Hobo hoody, Air Max = Ready for Irish college

God be with the days

Boy racers

Though its great to see it coming back again....everyone should have a hobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Petro Motion jeans, New Rock boots and wallet chains.

Kinda tempted to get a pair of Dr. Martens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The Kickers and Fila shoes with the buckles on the front, and the wool jumpers with the brands written across em.

going back even further, Troop runners. Loved em. Think they were expensive though so only ever had one pair. I spent a long time wearing those ones from Dunnes with the different colour laces in them, Air Force I think they were called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Grey slip-on shoes with white socks.
    Leather ties.

Hello ladies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Global Hypercolor t-shirts.
    That stupid curtain style haircut boybands had in the 90s which became popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Teenager through the 90s and jeans couldn’t be too baggy. Joe bloggs top. The rocker lads wore hi-tech league runner boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

appledrop wrote: »
    Tracksuit bottoms with popper buttons all up the side.

Eclipse and X Work jeans.

Nike Air Max, which are back in fashion now!

Chokers, which are also back in fashion.

Too much 90s stuff is back and it's weirding me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When I was in my late teens, people started deliberately ripping their jeans.
    I knew it would never catch on!

The Kickers and Fila shoes with the buckles on the front, and the wool jumpers with the brands written across em.

Even at the time I thought that look was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

There was a shop in Dublin named Peggy's.

It was the place to go for Doc Martens in the early 1990s. I think it was near Mary Street or Capel Street.

Maybe not a shop - more of a temporary shack.

Dubarry deck shoes and grey or green bomber jackets.

Armani Crew raver jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Too much 90s stuff is back and it's weirding me out.

I love to see it, epic decade.

• Advertisement

Man bags
    Those stupid hipster jeans, you still see the odd straggler in them. Buy new jeans.
    Beanie caps, ditto.

There was a brief period of lads wearing a t-shirt, preferably with a nice graphic, over a short-sleeved shirt, happened around 2005. I was one of the culprits. Every comment that night was "did you get dressed in the dark?"

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    There was a shop in Dublin named Peggy's.

It was the place to go for Doc Martens in the early 1990s. I think it was near Mary Street or Capel Street.

Maybe not a shop - more of a temporary shack.

Dubarry deck shoes and grey or green bomber jackets.

Armani Crew raver jeans

Behind the ilac?

It seems young wans these days are all wearing Doc Marten's again, the types who'd go to college. Where I live I see girls wearing these kind of slippers with a big fluffy ball like a rabbit on the front of them, they are the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

20+ years after my 1st pair of Docs I'm back in them and I love them. Do ye remember when PLO (?) scarves were all the rage with the bomber jackets? Oh the shtyle was mighty. Found a Joe Bloggs T-shirt in the attic from my college days, 'tis huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

salmocab wrote: »
    Behind the ilac?

Somewhere like that. The kind of place you'd find flower sellers and hawkers.

I was young and not familiar with the area. Definitely on the Northside and close to the City Centre.

salmocab wrote: »
    Behind the ilac?

I think I remember this. Back when you could go around there and buy 200 cigarettes, a hunting knife, and some German bangers all for about a tenner.

Army surplus jackets with German flags on the sleeves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭black & white

Tan coloured Winstanley shoes with steel tips, cheesecloth shirts and parallel trousers worn with a Levi jacket (mid 70's), moved on to Docks and Jeans after that with Lizzy/Rats/Gallagher T shirt but the Levi jacket stayed.

Does anyone remember "crepes"? Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Bale twine belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Early 00s, lots of lads wore these huge baggy chord trousers (maybe they were skateboarding trousers), usually completing the look with frosted tips and a tight River Island beaded necklace. They died a death in the main after, but 10 years later Id be around Limerick and see some tragic fella still in them.

Its a D4 trope but the polo shirt with the collar turned up, Dockers trousers and deck shoes could be seen around Limerick also.

But nothing comes close to the tragedy of the Crosshatch / mushroom haircut brigade of recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Shirts with "tails". Was a Curehead thing. In fact, Curehead fashion in general.

Denim jackets covered in thrash metal band patches. Off to the Sound Cellar!

Definitely undercuts. Blade 1 or 2 up the back and sides, let the top grow long.

Oh and Docs you get now will never be like the Docs you had when you were younger - they'll always look new, unless you wear them all day, every day, to everything you ever go to, for 3 years. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Big plastic dummies on a cord to wear around your neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Wavebird wrote: »
    Army surplus jackets with German flags on the sleeves.

This, and later Desert Boots!

I remember it seemed pretty much every teenage/college age girl from middle class backgrounds seemed to wear Canterbury tracksuit bottoms, coloury cute socks, and boat shoes. It was just the most bizarre combo, I haven't seen it in years though.

• Advertisement

deise08 wrote: »
    Big plastic dummies on a cord to wear around your neck.

We all went to Monsey one year on school trip and every single one of us came back with one of these along with the actual lollipop version you could eat.

We thought we looked so cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Does anyone remember "crepes"? Christ.

Blue or red ones, worn with your hair in a DA?

Early 00s, lots of lads wore these huge baggy chord trousers (maybe they were skateboarding trousers), usually completing the look with frosted tips and a tight River Island beaded necklace.

Lol, that was a really bad trend, your description really took me back to 00/01 type of time, before 9-11 changed everything and frosted tips were no more!

After or before (can't remember) eclipse & x work jeans were levi 501 which you had to have and cost a fortune.

We could only afford Lee or wrangler jeans so I wasn't in with the 'cool' crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Skinhead with a long fringe and a piebald horse. That was a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Oh and Docs you get now will never be like the Docs you had when you were younger - they'll always look new, unless you wear them all day, every day, to everything you ever go to, for 3 years. :)

Do they still cut the feet off you till you soften up the leather? But my God, it was worth it, they lasted years and mine got me out of a few very nasty situations more than once.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Somewhere like that. The kind of place you'd find flower sellers and hawkers.

I was young and not familiar with the area. Definitely on the Northside and close to the City Centre.

Think you went down Moore street and turned left behind the ilac, there were a few stalls outside lockup type units.

Those stupid hipster jeans,

These things? https://images.app.goo.gl/Eir7NbDfGvkSZx6G7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Baggy jeans not the 70's ones but the early 2000's ones. In England there was a trend in the early 2000's that girls would wear their jeans below the waist line so showing off the thong. Going back to the early 90's the rockers, where the lads wore skin tight jeans and boot runners and the girls wore baggy clothes.

I remember it seemed pretty much every teenage/college age girl from middle class backgrounds seemed to wear Canterbury tracksuit bottoms, coloury cute socks, and boat shoes. It was just the most bizarre combo, I haven't seen it in years though.

When I was in college(UCD) all the wealthy girls( not us!)had miss sixty jeans. They were low rise and bet onto your bum with massive flares at the end.

They cost about €140!

That's mad money even today, but 20 years ago it was scandalous. That's D4 for you.

I remember Miss Sixty yes, there was a shop in Covent Garden when I lived there, are they still a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

thrashers , known as skinny jeans now but in my day combined with moon boots they were the uniform of thrash metal back in the day when there was only a gee hair between Metallica slayer and megadeth

I think they're called lo-riders and I think they're coming back I read somewhere.

I think he meant these though

Screen-Shot-2018-11-25-at-10.55.01-AM.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

appledrop wrote: »
    We all went to Monsey one year on school trip and every single one of us came back with one of these along with the actual lollipop version you could eat.

We thought we looked so cool!

So did I but mosney was homelands that weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Tell me I'm not the only person who remembers the t-shirts that would change colour when heated?

• Advertisement
Advertisement