Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish 'Fashion' trends from when you were a teen

• 06-07-2021 6:31pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What trends do you remember and shudder to think back on? What trends do you still do or think could still be decent today?

I remember when 'step' haircuts were a big trend. Sorta silly looking now. Never looked right on me with my cows lick fringe anyway.

Bomber Jackets.

Doc Martins

X-Worx Jeans

LA Gear

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Actually LA Gear with the 3 sets of laces.
    White, Black and whatever matching day-glo colour the runners (runner-boots) had.
    Massive tongue sticking up too. Silky tracksuit tucked behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

iamstop wrote: »
    I remember when 'step' haircuts were a big trend. Sorta silly looking now. Never looked right on me with my cows lick fringe anyway.

I had that, combined with a cow's lick-defying centre parting. My brother christened the centre parting as "a dick rest".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Barry McGuigan tashes among some fellas. Continued into the 90s as the wacker tash. Largely disappeared post 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

Moon boots. Big padded basketball type boots but in silvery and gold space suit colors. I vaguely remember wanting a pair so I'm guessing about the mid eighties.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tracksuit bottoms with popper buttons all up the side.

Eclipse and X Work jeans.

Nike Air Max, which are back in fashion now!

Chokers, which are also back in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

iamstop wrote: »
    Naff Naff jackets.

These have come back

https://naffco54.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bermuda shorts with day glo colours.

Road chinos/cords, Hobo hoody, Air Max = Ready for Irish college

God be with the days

Boy racers

Though its great to see it coming back again....everyone should have a hobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Petro Motion jeans, New Rock boots and wallet chains.

Kinda tempted to get a pair of Dr. Martens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The Kickers and Fila shoes with the buckles on the front, and the wool jumpers with the brands written across em.

going back even further, Troop runners. Loved em. Think they were expensive though so only ever had one pair. I spent a long time wearing those ones from Dunnes with the different colour laces in them, Air Force I think they were called.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Grey slip-on shoes with white socks.
    Leather ties.

Hello ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Global Hypercolor t-shirts.
    That stupid curtain style haircut boybands had in the 90s which became popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Teenager through the 90s and jeans couldn’t be too baggy. Joe bloggs top. The rocker lads wore hi-tech league runner boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

appledrop wrote: »
    Tracksuit bottoms with popper buttons all up the side.

Eclipse and X Work jeans.

Nike Air Max, which are back in fashion now!

Chokers, which are also back in fashion.

Too much 90s stuff is back and it's weirding me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When I was in my late teens, people started deliberately ripping their jeans.
    I knew it would never catch on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The Kickers and Fila shoes with the buckles on the front, and the wool jumpers with the brands written across em.

Even at the time I thought that look was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

There was a shop in Dublin named Peggy's.

It was the place to go for Doc Martens in the early 1990s. I think it was near Mary Street or Capel Street.

Maybe not a shop - more of a temporary shack.

Dubarry deck shoes and grey or green bomber jackets.

Armani Crew raver jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Too much 90s stuff is back and it's weirding me out.

I love to see it, epic decade.

• Advertisement

Man bags
    Those stupid hipster jeans, you still see the odd straggler in them. Buy new jeans.
    Beanie caps, ditto.

There was a brief period of lads wearing a t-shirt, preferably with a nice graphic, over a short-sleeved shirt, happened around 2005. I was one of the culprits. Every comment that night was "did you get dressed in the dark?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    There was a shop in Dublin named Peggy's.

It was the place to go for Doc Martens in the early 1990s. I think it was near Mary Street or Capel Street.

Maybe not a shop - more of a temporary shack.

Dubarry deck shoes and grey or green bomber jackets.

Armani Crew raver jeans

Behind the ilac?

It seems young wans these days are all wearing Doc Marten's again, the types who'd go to college. Where I live I see girls wearing these kind of slippers with a big fluffy ball like a rabbit on the front of them, they are the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

20+ years after my 1st pair of Docs I'm back in them and I love them. Do ye remember when PLO (?) scarves were all the rage with the bomber jackets? Oh the shtyle was mighty. Found a Joe Bloggs T-shirt in the attic from my college days, 'tis huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

salmocab wrote: »
    Behind the ilac?

Somewhere like that. The kind of place you'd find flower sellers and hawkers.

I was young and not familiar with the area. Definitely on the Northside and close to the City Centre.

salmocab wrote: »
    Behind the ilac?

I think I remember this. Back when you could go around there and buy 200 cigarettes, a hunting knife, and some German bangers all for about a tenner.

Army surplus jackets with German flags on the sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭black & white

Tan coloured Winstanley shoes with steel tips, cheesecloth shirts and parallel trousers worn with a Levi jacket (mid 70's), moved on to Docks and Jeans after that with Lizzy/Rats/Gallagher T shirt but the Levi jacket stayed.

Does anyone remember "crepes"? Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Bale twine belts.

Advertisement