Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish 'Fashion' trends from when you were a teen

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Wrangler jacket with the sleeves cut off over a leather jack in the winter and in the summer wrangler with a concert t shirt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Ha! I remember those , most of what I wore as a teenager came from either Army Bargains , Sound Cellar or FM (for metal T shirts), Docs from that stall /Shop at the ilac and a biker jacket that I lived in from the ages of 14 to 20 oh! and my hair was in Comic Book Guy style ponytail at all times .

7All of which combined to keep me single until my mid twenties!

Still I thought I was the height of fashion in Fibbers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I met my wife in Fibbers - she was wearing a nightdress , tights and Docs - and we`re married 26 years this year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

These schoolbags were very popular, always worn with just one strap and often covered with permanent marker or Tipp-ex graffiti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭flended12

1990s school goer here.

In the height of Nike Air, Reebok Pumps etc....Remember Adidas Torsion "shoes". Brown leather, look like shoes but felt like trainers. Anyways our school principal was very much their way or no way. School policy was brown or black shoes. Plenty of us bought the torsion shoes above and were promptly told not to wear them as they were runners.

Que P.E. Class and we wore them there, PE teacher said you cant wear them as they are shoes!!!

Some craic with parents v teachers soon after.

Carpet Jackets!

Snorkel Jackets!

Man Utd leather jackets!

Sover-din Rings

The lads going to school with about 4lb a brylcream on the skull! 🤣 Always windy on the way to our school so by the time school started the brylcream had set like concrete cos of the wind and we looked like we failed auditions for Krusty the Clown!

The girls using a whole can of hairspray for the very front of the fringe to see how high they could get it, the higher the trendier!

Cringey to look back on but great times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I stumbled into fibbers a few weeks ago. the dress sense hasn't changed much since the 90's.

edited: hasn't changed much NOT has changed much

Post edited by ohnonotgmail on

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Loved those bags! So much so I think I’m going to buy one for the nostalgia but this one won’t be covered in friends signatures in biro or tippex.

Regarding the neon green clothes with fruits on them in the mid/late 90s, my confirmation dress was made of exactly that kind of material. Wore a white kinda bolero jacket over it and weird white canvas shoes that had a heel, thought I was class.

Teenage me thought that Susst and NOPE garments were theeee height of coolness. My pals and I would love an oul spin to Dublin on the train to spend our Saturday job wages on some delights from there (these things couldn’t be gotten way out wesht until I was almost out of them and onto my next phase, more below)

We’d make a beeline for Hairy Legs on Liffey St to get a few bits, then to The Eager Beaver in Temple Bar and maybe back to the Ilac and the general Henry St. area then when we were ready for home toddle back to Connolly, ring parents from a pay phone to say we’d be back in about 3 hours and off we’d go, dying to show off our new hoodie or flares (or maybe some stretchy, lurid, glittery top) when we got home.

Morgan was a clothes shop that came to Sligo in the early 00’s which coincided with me getting a much better paid part time job. The shop was owned by Shane Filan (Westlife singer) sister and we’d never had anything so fancy at our disposal. Loads of kinda boho/sienna miller/WAG style clothes. A denim shop down the street also sold Miss Sixty jeans, I definitely had at least one pair, maybe two.

Dont think I ever bought one of those Jane Norman dresses (iykyk) but defo borrowed one from a friend. So chic.

Nowadays I have the pair of 6 hole docs that I dreamt of but was never allowed to have as a kid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

By the time I was going to discos it was baggy jeans and long sleeve jumpers, no collar.

XWorX, Fila, Petro Motion, Eclipse,

Everyday clothes were Umbro jumpers, Nike Air Max if you could afford and baggy jeans.

A few years before that it was runner boots as big as you could get them. LA Gear. Usually 2 or 3 different coloured laces. One black, one white and one day-glo that matched the runner boots. Naff Naff.

I definitely remember when Tommy Hilfiger jeans were ‘cool’ and not worn by middle aged men mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭black & white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

In my schooldays it was this style:

They came in either that mustard colour, or a blue/grey. You would srawl your favourite bands' logos all over it with permanent marker, which would then fade over the years. And if you inherited a bag from an older sibling, you had to write over all of THEIR bands with your bands. I had one that was mostly thrash metal band logos - metal band logos were the best to to learn to write. If you could do a good 3D Metallica logo you were set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My of mine tells a story of how he had erasure written on his because some mate of his liked them. He swanned about with it for a couple of weeks and then saw Erasure on the tv and promptly had to rub that out.

I had a few of this style alright. Used to write all the band and group logos, use wire when the thread started to fail and even some screws and bolts.

The downside of those was your books were permanently destroyed / wet - not that it particularly mattered.

Not much mention of hairstyles.

I remember when undercuts were the style.

I also remember flattops being a thing for a bit but I could never get it right with the massive 'cows lick' I have going on.

There was a point where having a shaved head save for a fringe that came down longer that your face, but you'd brush it back and it would stick in the stubble of the rest of your hair.

That reminds me, center parting and 'curtain' fringe was also a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Pepe jeans

Yep that was all the rage, blade 1 or 2 up the back and sides, long on top. I was lucky enough too have a mop of thick hair on top so it sat really well. It was a pain when you wanted to grow out the back and sides though, you had two hairstyles in one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

When I was a chap almost all the boys had one of these school bags. The straps always broke after a whole and you ended up carrying it around lime a big handbag.

Anyone else remember blue tartan jeans? Where all the rage in my school in the late 80's.

Yes! I had a pair. And I had that bag. I knew f**k all about football and didn't even watch it, but all the boys had one so I had to too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭French Toast

Fellas with 3-4 inch slits on the inside of the school pants/jeans, Superdry jackets, eyebrow piercings, Crosshatch jeans, V-cuts. There's a few from the noughties/early tens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I had a shorter version of that , was pretty much held together with wire and band logos towards the end .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

One from the 90's that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread: Russell Athletic

Back in my day it was all x works, Joe bloggs, naff jackets, la raiders jackets and caps. All that sheeeit.

Sovereign rings and flecky tracksuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I have no idea what a runner boot is, I think runner equals trainers, trainers equals sneakers

Bomber jackets good to wear in the summer when it's too hot to wear a coat .

Runner boots are bigger, bulkier and come up higher around the ankles. I think they were originally designed for better ankle support for basketball but soon got co-opted for fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Demin jackets with the collar turned up , and the sleeve cuffs down.

Docs , and a bomber jacket with a German flag on it.

Shoulder length hair.

Earring in the left ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hi Tec league were the white boot runner of choice for people into metal in the 90s. Tight jeans and a black band T-shirt were the accompaniment.

black coat with fur around the collar, denim jackets, with lots of buttons pinned on them. denim jackets with no sleeves. white jeans.

Schott Bomber Jackets.

For some reason plenty of bouncers on nightclubs had them. Then they started to appear on students in our school.

I guess it's the equivalent of Canada Goose now.

Jaysis lads the 90s was a varied decade on so many fashion trends when let's face it, as a teen during those years we hadn't a care in the world but we also hadn't a clue either.

Take me back!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those bags in black but with the band logos bleached in to them (back to that sort of colour, at least after they got dirty) was what I remember older siblings having.

I think they are brands from the 90s that are no longer in fashion but I can't remember them exactly. Jeans and white tshirts . Rock music was still popular but it hardly exists now. People in rock bands with long hair and leather jackets.

Everyone used to talk like Chandler from friends.

"Could you BE...and stupider?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The 90's will go down as the most influential decade since the 60's. Worldwide political reform, great music, and as important I was riding like a cowboy 😀😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Denim Jackets with a massive AC-DC/Iron Maiden logo stitched on the back.

Cardigans that only had buttons about one third of the way up.

• Advertisement

I think the 90s will go down as the high point of rock music and advances in electronic music , before rock music started to fade away . I think hair metal American genre still existed in the 90s eg the male singers in certain rock groups all had long hair

I worked for a brief time in a camping shop in late 90's, every other teenager coming in

"...got any gortex..."

Fun times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why are you weirded out? I'm loving reliving my youth tbh 😄

Advertisement