Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish 'Fashion' trends from when you were a teen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Now for the ultimate collectors item..........swapping neighbours cards.

If you had the ultimate card of Charlene and Scott's wedding you got about 20 swaps for that one card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Mid '80s. Every teen wanted or had fingerless gloves.

Massive craze at the time. For some reason they were called Mittens.:confused:

I remember it seemed pretty much every teenage/college age girl from middle class backgrounds seemed to wear Canterbury tracksuit bottoms, coloury cute socks, and boat shoes. It was just the most bizarre combo, I haven't seen it in years though.

"Tell me you went to UCD without telling me you went to UCD"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

appledrop wrote: »
    Don't think so anymore, although I do notice flared jeans/ trousers are coming back in with teenagers.

They look horrified when I tell them I used to wear those!

They'll be even more horrified when they hear their grandparents use to wear them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Those heavy army surplus coats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Global Hypercolor t-shirts.
    That stupid curtain style haircut boybands had in the 90s which became popular.

Also the blonde tips. Held in place with Brylcreem. Either the black one or the red one. Never the blue one!

Those heavy army surplus coats.

Ah now.

That shit was cool. My eldest brother had an "army surplus" German parka which was probably made by some company in Northern England, but they still looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Tips on boot soles. Clickty click

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Parka jackets

Mid '80s. Every teen wanted or had fingerless gloves.

Massive craze at the time. For some reason they were called Mittens.:confused:

You can thank Madonna for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

Afghan coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Girls with bottle tops on their shoe laces, Bros fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Combats. Loads of pockets and dangly bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Proper snorkel jackets. The ones when you zipped up the hood you could only see in front of you.

KKkitty wrote: »

And those army canvas bags for school bags.

Anyone remember when paisley shirts for lads was a thing? I blame the Smiths. :rolleyes:

iamstop wrote: »
    And those army canvas bags for school bags.

Anyone remember when paisley shirts for lads was a thing? I blame the Smiths. :rolleyes:

Sure do remember the paisley shirts usually worn with jeans with the ends rolled up and I can't think of the shoes but they were usually saude and coloured.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Sure do remember the paisley shirts usually worn with jeans with the ends rolled up and I can't think of the shoes but they were usually saude and coloured.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/T-U-K-Unisex-Adult-Creepers-Anarchic-Creeper/dp/B077NMH1B8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

On the subject of Docs most had 7-8 laceholes. In secondary school around early 90s the heavy metallers had the Docs with the uniform trouser legs tucked into thick grey woolly socks (usually made by Rehab at the time ) and folded down around the top of the boots.
    The year head and vice principal were constantly going around every morning telling lads to cover their boots.
    I had a pair of 10 hole Docs but wouldn't wear them to school as they were too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Ra ra skirts and leg warmers.
    Perms, Mullets

• Advertisement

Mid 90's when the ladies started wearing FMB's.😀

Anyone remember the brief (no pun intended) of girls copying the Luniz video?
    Jeans hanging low and thong pulled up to show it off with a white belly top. Maybe a pair of (fake) Ray-Bans to go with.

I got 5 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

iamstop wrote: »

Think they are were called crepes, someone mentioned them earlier, also called brothel creepers if I remember right.

I see your pair of combats, and raise you combats with detachable legs, which can become shorts.

Wore a pair of these to a wedding circa 2002, they were mostly zips... absolutely deserved to be kicked out/ ostracised forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

There was a weird phase mid-90s where what I can only describe as "goth boots" were very popular and not just by the eye-liner crowd either. Big black boots with inexplicable bits of metal in them/out of them

Snorkler jackets.

Used to zip them all the way up and pull them up over your head so it looked like a headless person wearing them. 80s kid.

Combats, couldn't remember the name of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

theteal wrote: »
    There was a weird phase mid-90s where what I can only describe as "goth boots" were very popular and not just by the eye-liner crowd either. Big black boots with inexplicable bits of metal in them/out of them

New Rock Boots. They weighed about 17 kg each!

I remember sailor collars on shirts and dresses made a brief appearance around 1987.

I see your pair of combats, and raise you combats with detachable legs, which can become shorts.

Wore a pair of these to a wedding circa 2002... absolutely deserved to be kicked out/ ostracised forever.

Hilarious, did you turn them into shorts when the party started?

I'd say the bride was giving you dagger looks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Wore a pair of these to a wedding circa 2002, they were mostly zips... absolutely deserved to be kicked out/ ostracised forever.

Puffa jackets with detachable sleeves....

Advertisement