Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there an argument to be made for increasing police firm-handedness in Dublin?

• 06-07-2021 6:23pm

My thoughts:

1) Dublin has an issue with overcrowding and housing shortage

2) Dublin has a huge homeless and drug crises

3) Many parts of it are almost entirely over run with an uncultivated sub-demographic with drastic limitations on their future due to their background (i.e. the poverty trap in many respects).

4) This problem shows NO sign of slowing down.

What I'm conveying with this is, in many respects there's this teetering element of violence, certainly associated with certain city subcultures, which is on the verge of going off to varying degrees, at almost any time (and I FEEL this emphatically at almost all times around the city - with the exceptions of certain south side and related areas etc.).

When it comes to Ireland as a whole, the idea of turning it into a police state would be laughably unnecessary (well, from my own POV I can say that in relation to midland locations and cities like Galway, more rural regions etc.).

But Dublin itself is naturally BY FAR the most populous location in the country with it's own very unique culture within a culture.

I don't see these problems changing/improving if the situation is left to itself - that's all I'm saying.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

1. Dublin doesn't have a huge housing crisis..

Dublin...like the rest of the country has a huge immigration crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Bring back Robocop and Lugs Brannigan you mean?

Nah... Battering junkies,Canada Geese and grey tracksuit wearers won't help. More cops on the beat and less paperwork might though.

When the city reopens fully the edginess won't be as apparent.

Also better if you link personal anecdotes rather than random twitter accounts, the city isn't that bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Has it worked elsewhere? Which country has figured it out and what level of firm-handedness do they employ? My understanding is that the more firm you are with people the more problems there are. I'm thinking America for example.

Unless you're talking about going the whole hog like China/North Korea but I don't think you mean that. Looking at the low crime countries, it doesn't seem like they have used a firm-hand to keep things on the straight and narrow. Happy to stand corrected on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I'm not sure I have ever seen a "Garda brutality" video shared where the screaming hyenas in the video didn't get half of what they deserved. 2pm and it's pajama clad waster women trying to prevent the Guards seizing their son's dirtbike, wallop them I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Nozebleed wrote: »

As I say, not a housing crisis, a preference crisis.

As in who the government prefers to give homes to.

It isn't the native working man by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Our problem is the Gardaí it's the "justice" system which is completely broken but too many people are feeding from the trough to fix it. Too many people ware walking out of our courts with no penalty for the crimes they've committed.

Spend a day in court and you'll see what a farce our justice system is.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Our problem is the Gardaí it's the "justice" system which is completely broken but too many people are feeding from the trough to fix it. Too many people ware walking out of our courts with no penalty for the crimes they've committed.

Spend a day in court and you'll see what a farce our justice system is.

I mean I'm not familiar with the justice system particulars but are you suggesting rounding up the scrotes and simply jailing them all? Whilst somehow stunting their procreation? (just think of it - no more Sabrina and Anto's to drain hard working, non-freeloading folks tax money).

Cause I would really get on board with that.

But the prison industry and overcrowding issue in the US is quite frightful.

I'm just saying, maybe if the police increased in #'s and took a more firm handed approach to the situation, they could settle these matters "out of court", so to speak.

And the city I see this being effective in is Amsterdam.

Cops there don't **** about and comprise a fairly significant percentage of the street occupying population.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Sort of ethnic cleansing by the Garda? LOL

Maybe don’t leave your home if you’re so scared, OP.

Normal One wrote: »
    Sort of ethnic cleansing by the Garda? LOL

Maybe don’t leave your home if you’re so scared, OP.

There's always one....

Using the race-card as a scapegoat.

Weak sauce bruh.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

The problem is the Gardi are nothing more than security guards with a government pension. This is what happens in a society that prohibits its police force from actually being police and enforcing the law.
    Maybe a little discipline is what society truly needs at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

There's always one....

Using the race-card as a scapegoat.

Weak sauce bruh.

Not as weak as your reading comprehension, apparently.

The problem is the Gardi are nothing more than security guards with a government pension. This is what happens in a society that prohibits its police force from actually being police and enforcing the law.
    Maybe a little discipline is what society truly needs at the moment.

If I gather the general sentiment correctly then YES.

This is my point.

And just FYI re Amsterdam it's probably most the successfully culturally diverse city in Europe.

So in relation to immigration being the issue, I seriously doubt that's valid.
    In fact I'm definitely a fan of multi-culturalism, but it absolutely MUST be managed with adequate care and attention.

A lot more cops being a lot more visible around dublins busier areas would help

Anything more than that comes with its own problems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My thoughts:

1) Dublin has an issue with overcrowding and housing shortage

2) Dublin has a huge homeless and drug crises

3) Many parts of it are almost entirely over run with an uncultivated sub-demographic with drastic limitations on their future due to their background (i.e. the poverty trap in many respects).

4) This problem shows NO sign of slowing down.

What I'm conveying with this is, in many respects there's this teetering element of violence, certainly associated with certain city subcultures, which is on the verge of going off to varying degrees, at almost any time (and I FEEL this emphatically at almost all times around the city - with the exceptions of certain south side and related areas etc.).

When it comes to Ireland as a whole, the idea of turning it into a police state would be laughably unnecessary (well, from my own POV I can say that in relation to midland locations and cities like Galway, more rural regions etc.).

But Dublin itself is naturally BY FAR the most populous location in the country with it's own very unique culture within a culture.

I don't see these problems changing/improving if the situation is left to itself - that's all I'm saying.

Your thoughts?

We don't have a huge homeless crisis, homelessness is declining, our drug crisis never really changes much , we have in and around 30 thousand dependent on methadone and its been like that years, we do have from to time to time different types of substances appearing, becoming popular and then receding, an example would be snow blow once problematic not very prevalent now.Tablet use varies significantly too from the likes of lyrica being very popular now hard enough to get.

Whats 4 ,

If I gather the general sentiment correctly then YES.

A big start would be arming the Gardi for one. And a stray bullet in the leg of a lifetime scumbag wouldn't go astray either. As as society we have become weak and far too politically correct, the minority rules and is driven by social media.

But the issue lies within the parents for allowing their children to grow up undisciplined and unhinged in the last 20 years or so.

Explain to me what good an unarmed 4 foot woman and her 5 foot 10 male counterpart are going to do to prevent a crime happening on the streets?

Ask the criminals to wait a 30 mins while they call in an armed response unit?

Policing in this country is so far beyond a joke. May as well make them wear rainbow uniforms and offer free hugs to anyone in need.

A big start would be arming the Gardi for one. And a stray bullet in the leg of a lifetime scumbag wouldn't go astray either. As as society we have become weak and far too politically correct, the minority rules and is driven by social media.

But the issue lies within the parents for allowing their children to grow up undisciplined and unhinged in the last 20 years or so.

You might be my new favorite poster on current affairs.

I see in living color the exact reason for the bolded text.

Modifying that situation, pffff - would be a hell of a thing.

And it basically goes back beyond the roots of culture to the very identity of men, women, relationships and what they're based on.

But in terms of "seeing it in living color", yeah it's basically that trash element, safety and security women find in associating with it, in a trash environment (i.e. a trashy environment = get knocked up by teh "bad boys" = a sense of safety within that uncertainty).

I mean walk around Dublin and how many women just out of their teens are pushing prams with about 6 kids in tow, no possibility to provide the financial backing to ensure they have a reasonable future - it's heartbreaking to see.
    Those sweet innocent kids condemned to that future from day 1 and the cycle repeats itself.

Endorsing degeneracy (even glamorizing it) and then comes the inevitable broken homes without discipline or reasonable cultivation capacity and next thing hoards of illegitimate kids are raising hell on the streets with impunity.

In the interim until some revolutionary cognitive behavioral intervention comes along, I suspect simply a more firm handed police force and competent judiciary wouldn't be bad place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Nozebleed wrote: »

Do we ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just enforce the laws, from parking on the footpath, to dropping litter, to selling drugs.
    No point having laws if they are not enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The government should just buy a huge area of land in say longford . Fill it with tower blocks and build a massive wall around it . Any families that are living in council gafs or on the hap that don't behave themselves , Round up anyone that wearing monclar or Canada goose , junkies etc and ship them off to there . Deport all the gypsy . Give the new residents livestock and grain and throw in a few DVDs to explain how to farm , so they grow their own food and be self sufficient . Hook them up with exercise bikes that'll generate electricity . You could call the place Scumtown . Re populate the city centre and surrounding areas with people who appreciate living in the capital city ... Job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The government should just buy a huge area of land in say longford . Fill it with tower blocks and build a massive wall around it . Any families that are living in council gafs or on the hap that don't behave themselves , Round up anyone that wearing monclar or Canada goose , junkies etc and ship them off to there . Deport all the gypsy . Give the new residents livestock and grain and throw in a few DVDs to explain how to farm , so they grow their own food and be self sufficient . Hook them up with exercise bikes that'll generate electricity . You could call the place Scumtown . Re populate the city centre and surrounding areas with people who appreciate living in the capital city ... Job done

Sounds a bit like Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Sounds a bit like Athy.

Without the big wall ....

Always amusing to see NP shills calling for firmer garda action after spending weeks crying about getting slapped around by them.

Yeah see what I meant to say was, at the root of ALL THIS UGLINESS - is the "Sabrina and Anto" situation.
    (your tax dollards hard at work, lol)

For real.

Am I the only person who sees this?

Instead of coming across like a die hard cynic, I'm going to let the opening scene from "Idiocracy" do teh talking for me:

Crap really does roll downhill, let me tell you, and Fitzgerald, Flannagan and now McEntee just stand idly by and let nature do its thing.

Plus we have some other rising stars like Carroll McNeill, hell I don't know is she even a proponent of this sh*t circus?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

What's the point of having more visible cops, when they are not backed up with law?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It won't happen. The people with the power to force change are living in their leafy suburbs away from the criminals that the rest of us are plagued with. A spate of robberies and burglaries in these areas is probably what's needed to make a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭francois

Another thread repeating the same talking points ad tedium.

It won't happen. The people with the power to force change are living in their leafy suburbs away from the criminals that the rest of us are plagued with. A spate of robberies and burglaries in these areas is probably what's needed to make a change.

I mean, their actions (or lack thereof) would seem to reflect that as being the situation.

But I mean, they can't possibly be that out of touch (can they?).

Maybe they're the type that just want to believe that "everyone is capable of good things", and completely neglect to understand that some demographics - it's essentially their religion to live like die hard rebellious pieces of trash that say "f**k you" to "the man" every waking minute of their lives.

i.e. they neglect to understand that crap-rolls-downhill and a firm hand is the ONLY way to manage it.

I wonder is that ideology a product of historical catholic delusionism ("turn the other cheek", "they know not what they do" etc.), that along with alcohol culture has plagued Irish evolution since its inception?

francois wrote: »
    Another thread repeating the same talking points ad tedium.

Links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

We desperately need a three strikes law.

Get the scum out of society permanently.

Yes I understand "that doesn't solve the root problem", but grow up, we're talking about the real world and how it impacts everyone.

Advertisement