Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an argument to be made for increasing police firm-handedness in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

do whatever giuliani did, to the center.

and build more prison spaces. i dont care if they're baghdad dungeon or norweigan rehab style. just make it a real threat.

try some of the sht that goes on here with continental gendarmes and youll get a baton across the chops.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    We desperately need a three strikes law.

Get the scum out of society permanently.

Yes I understand "that doesn't solve the root problem", but grow up, we're talking about the real world and how it impacts everyone.

I was riding the Luas earlier.

Two absolute bears of security guards boarded at a stop.

There was one dude stood opposite them holding a can of dutch-gold, tattoo's up and down his arms and lower legs.

A little further down the carriage, three Anto's were stood drunkenly mumbling, with the occasional belligerent holler.

The security guards sheepishly got off at the next stop.

Some please, 'splain it to me.

Help me understand.

They're under direction from the parliament to rule with presence and appearance alone, no touching allowed?

Something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I was riding the Luas earlier.

Two absolute bears of security guards boarded at a stop.

There was one dude stood opposite them holding a can of dutch-gold, tattoo's up and down his arms and lower legs.

A little further down the carriage, three Anto's were stood drunkenly mumbling, with the occasional belligerent holler.

The security guards sheepishly got off at the next stop.

Some please, 'splain it to me.

Help me understand.

They're under direction from the parliament to rule with presence and appearance alone, no touching allowed?

Something like that?

Imagine we lived in a society where there were no scum on the Luas.

Imagine the sort of person who doesn't want that.

85603 wrote: »
    do whatever giuliani did, to the center.

Funny earlier that exact scene from Taxi Driver just started playing in my head.

If only we could get someone competent to actually implement it.

And yes I agree it's not necessarily going to address the core of the issue ("Sabrina and Anto") but it would be an admirable interim measure.

It's just getting worse and worse, the crap and the scum and the incompetency and our supposed "authorities" are preoccupied with all these peripheral topics whilst failing to address the genuine pertinent issues when it comes to quality of life and living, be it urban (in this case) or rural.
    and build more prison spaces. i dont care if they're baghdad dungeon or norweigan rehab style. just make it a real threat.

try some of the sht that goes on here with continental gendarmes and youll get a baton across the chops.

Yes yes yes!!

**fist pumping the air**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Crime is an industry providing jobs and money to police employees and the legal profession. The war on drugs is the main reason youth in more socially disadvantaged areas hate authority and the police. Legal profession and police know this and that is why SFA will be done to stop this war on drugs farce. Interestingly the lack of respect for authority has also been passed through the generations from the beatings, child abuse and rapes that were conveniently ignored by the Garda and authorities of the day in state supported religious homes and schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How about families that are involved in repeat criminality lose their home in Dublin city? The house given to someone on the waiting list. Plenty of less expensive areas they could be placed, eventually.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Imagine we lived in a society where there were no scum on the Luas.

Imagine the sort of person who doesn't want that.

Hummmmm!!!

**focusing concentration and attempting to imagine such a person**

tceqctA.jpg?1

Hummmmmm!!

tjjNqqk.jpg?1

Hummmmm!!

UjXH96b.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

The government should just buy a huge area of land in say longford . Fill it with tower blocks and build a massive wall around it . Any families that are living in council gafs or on the hap that don't behave themselves , Round up anyone that wearing monclar or Canada goose , junkies etc and ship them off to there . Deport all the gypsy . Give the new residents livestock and grain and throw in a few DVDs to explain how to farm , so they grow their own food and be self sufficient . Hook them up with exercise bikes that'll generate electricity . You could call the place Scumtown . Re populate the city centre and surrounding areas with people who appreciate living in the capital city ... Job done

Not sure how the Dutch are getting on with their 'Scum' villages to be honest but I doubt it would ever happen here...

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/europe/roma-family-is-banished-to-amsterdams-scum-village-29557503.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Anyone caught dealing from a council house should be turfed out by the council.

Certainly if repeated.

• Advertisement

Ban diesel cars.

More buses.

More Luas lines.

Otherwise, love this city, as I have since I moved here from BoggoBoggoLand over 40 years ago.

Ban diesel cars.

More buses.

More Luas lines.

Otherwise, love this city, as I have since I moved here from BoggoBoggoLand over 40 years ago.

Never heard of it!

saabsaab wrote: »
    Never heard of it!

Not surprising. Nowhere near the Wild Atlantic Way.

Tell you what though. If it wasn't for this city there's a lot of ****ers would have to emigrate or stay fiddling the dole and praying rosaries for a better internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

But for what drug exactly ? This being an Irish thread I would take a wild guess that people dealing Cannabis would be turfed out onto the street whereas the destructive drug Heroin would retain its 'protected' status by the corrupt system we currently have in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

The Gardai were poor enough at doing their jobs before covid. During covid they have basically given the city over to scum. It will take a heavy handed approach to bring Dublin back to how it was pre covid (which was far from perfect even then). Something they and our politicians seem to have no interest in doing so i fear after Covid we will have issues there that we did not have before (like large gangs of scumbag teenagers who never came into the city before bar St.Patricks day are now coming in every Friday and Saturday)

And im saying this as someone who has worked in the North inner city the last 8 years and drank in the city center for many years and and go into the city center on a daily basis.

The luas by the way was basically a moving homeless shelter during the last lockdown. 80% vermin on it all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think it would be better if cannabis was legalised for anyone over 21 than the Gardaí could concentrate on dealing with hard drugs or drug dealers who sell cocaine or other hard drugs.
    What is your plan, arrest every male who is not working or dress, s in a certain way
    The Gardaí don't control the courts.. Maybe the judges realise there are very limited places in our prisons
    There's no point jailing some one for petty crimes in the midst of a pandemic
    American has a high rate of conviction and 100s of prisons and many city's still have a high crime rate
    We cannot print money
    We cannot afford to build expensive new prisons
    The government is already borrowing millions just to recover from the pandemic

Yes there's alot of homeless people and junkies in dublin
    but I don't think they actually commit much crime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

This thread is some laugh, I haven't been in Dublin the last couple of years so maybe there is some truth to it. However a lot of posts sound insane to me. It's the immigrants fault and we should literally beat people into shape, oh and the not so subtle use of the word "sub" and of course "vermin".

Is it really that bad? And also, you are sounding like Nazis.

By all means give them the resources to enforce the law but the last thing we want is carte blanche to beat up anyone deemed undesirable.

You have a point.

At the same time, somethings gotta give.

I suppose to be fair this could be characterized as more of a humanitarian problem (cause trash cardboard box cities in 3rd world dumps have it a lot worse - the degenerative issue at the heart of the matter is the same, just run rampant).

Location aside, the core of the issue remains to be addressed.

And multi-culturaiism is something cities like Amsterdam have managed with infinitely greater efficacy.

Surely there's a policy the Irish government could emulate?

Police presence and authority is easily the first thing that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The underlying story here is not the ship but the repeated warnings from local residents and businesses regarding scummy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I know it's only a minor thing but the current Gardai uniforms have gotten far too casual. They don't sent out the authoritarian vibe that older uniforms had.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What's the point in looking the part when you can't follow up with it for fear of being prosecuted for touching poor, innocent little Tommy. Anyway, the old uniforms were so uncomfortable and completely not fit for purpose. A heavy (cheap) suit type pants for running and vaulting? Mup ourra dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

its not the uniforms its the little 5ft nothings in them

The predominant subculture there = they think it's good to be bad.

And for some reason the gals associated with wish to get knocked up as early and often as possible; and that's not judgement, just observation.

Coming back to this clip, "all the scum, just clean it up".

One thing I've noticed that's really a throw back to "bad" NYC, after I get my pump on I used to go some quick deep tissue work done at any one of a number of north side locations.

As far as I know, either some Chinese or Brazilian gang has rolled into town, bought out/up all of these locations, and has basically converted them into make shift brothels.

It says "massage" on the outside, just like they used to, except instead of being greeted by a trained masseuse, I'm now greeted by gals in string tops telling me that if I want "just massage", I'll have to book in advance and there's "nothing available today".

i.e. pay brothel prices for brothel services or scram.

It's a damn shame.

Just for research, can you name a few of these massage services?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not without getting an infraction from a moderator, no not really.

Nastiness basically, the rest you'll have to infer.

I don't knock that entirely I just think there's a time and place, and a foreign gang over running formerly legit parlors with insane prices and zero discretion, to me = not the time or place.

Run legit, I have no beef with the practice, what I'm saying is it feels like a trashy throw back to "bad" NYC, gangs having their wicked way unregulated and unsupervised.

Trashy, filthy, making the place smell like a sewer.

Yes, but I still get to live in the liberal heartland and enjoy the vibe. I'm asking the rest of the culchies to have some respect for the city that got them out out of the socio-economic shitter instead of moaning about the place all the time. 😁

Dubland can have that turncoat. There's always one! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

I'd love to see policing in this country split into two distinct forces.

Keep the Gardai as they are as a community, unarmed force and they can deal with day to day policing matters and use the softly softly approach when dealing with potential problems as much as possible. There would need to be an increase on their presence though as it is lacking currently from my experience.

There should be a separate, tougher force that is available to be called upon when civil policing fails to do the job. I'm thinking of something like the Gardia Civil in Spain that have different uniforms and a much greater physical presence. There would need to be minimum height and strength restrictions to enter this force and the general public would learn that this force was not to be messed with. These could patrol cities and towns at night especially in vans and be readily available to be dispatched if the normal Gardai face a tough situation.

All that said, they are facing a losing battle at the moment where even if someone is caught being involved in crime, the likelihood is that they will serve little to no time in prison due to lack of prison space and suspended sentences from judges. Need to also invest in building a new high capacity prison to prevent this happening as it must be a serious morale sapper for the guards to see their work undone by lenient judges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

In theory this sounds great. However, politicians and judiciary seem to care far more about the rights of the criminals that terrorise their neighbours and the wider community then with the rest of societies right to live their lives peacefully without having to deal with criminals.

Guards can do a great job and yet violent criminals can walk free with a suspended sentence.

I think any reform in the guards would have to be part of wider changes for us to see any benefits.

Advertisement