Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford a home?

Options
  • 05-07-2021 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

How many people here are able to afford their own home?

As a currently single guy it's becoming clear to me that, without a significant capital windfall, I will be pretty much priced out of the market anywhere with decent amenities and transport links for the foreseeable future.

A two bed house would be ideal but anything decent in my area is selling for €300k+, which I can't afford and many don't even have driveways (PITA for an electric car). I am willing to settle for a decent 2-bed apartment but new build apartments are all rentals only and the ones available to sell are few and far between, with eye watering prices.

So I don't earn enough to get a big enough mortgage and I earn too much to apply for affordable housing. I'm saving, but it appears I'm stuck living at home for god knows how long, unless I up sticks and move to the middle of nowhere. I'm on the far side of my 30s. Anyone else in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

No, but I am paying for one

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

The experts say a crash is on the way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Single people in Dublin pretty much don't stand a chance. If you're on 60k a year, you'll get a mortgage of 210k. A 30k deposit means you can afford a place that costs 240k. What the fúck can you get in Dublin for that?

Single people in Dublin pretty much don't stand a chance. If you're on 60k a year, you'll get a mortgage of 210k. A 30k deposit means you can afford a place that costs 240k. What the fúck can you get in Dublin for that?

A third floor box room with airport view.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup,

130sqm home, single applicant living with my Partner, outside Dublin but with 30 minutes of city centre (without traffic obviously).

And I consider myself incredibly lucky. Needed help from parents to help with cash flow of moving in but they’re paid back in full now (bought in 2018).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Bought by myself but had to buy closer to home to do so and commute 100km e/w 3 days a week.

Covid has been a godsend in that regard, can’t see me going back even 1 day a week.

I had been looking at 2 bed apartments but didn’t fancy living in an apartment in Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,766 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No.

271.gif

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes. But not one that I want.

I could buy a terrace or a semi detached house.
    I'm looking for a house on a half acre or more and they're hard to come by in my price range.

Sinn Fein will save the day next government term. We will be on the pigs back.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

Nope - housing prices here are theft through and through.

Consider doing what I’m doing - buy a nice apartment in Spain. Lovely sunny spot for a fraction a knocker downer would cost here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Fils wrote: »

Ah yes, on the backs of flying pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Youd get a 2bed apt in semi decent parts of Dublin,or a house in some pretty rough parts.

It's a dual incomea market. You need to be earning double the average wage if your solo. I can't blame Ireland for that. It's just the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Single too. I can afford a one bed apartment. Just don’t know if i want one for a fifth of a million euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Have been saving for over 10 years and you’d think with help from my parents and my savings that I should be able to buy a 2 bed at least in Cork City suburbs - not a hope. It’s soul destroying. I’m still at home and at this stage I just want to have my own space so, gone past the point of renting with 2/3 strangers. I’m just turned 36. I’m clinging on to the last bit of hope that something will turn up. Way too much competition too for any decent property with reasonable asking price - you’re up against couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I assume you are joking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

All that Apple tax money that has been spent over and over again will pay for everyone's free gaff once they get in lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seabelle

I bought a few years ago, I was priced out of where I had originally been looking so I had to look further away. I'd hate to be looking now with prices so high, I couldn't afford my house or an equivalent at current prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ours is bought and paid for the past 7 years.
    I genuinely don't know how people can afford to buy these days and I think it's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

Up to five years ago I couldn’t. Stuck in precarious contract work that made me ineligible and same for partner. Then the stars briefly aligned and we went for it. I can’t tell you how close we were to not making it. Consider ourselves incredibly lucky now. But we don’t live in a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Bought my house as a single applicant 10 years ago. In spite of my wages going up hugely, price increases and lending rules mean I wouldn't be able to do it today.
    Price has more or less doubled in 10 years.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I assume you are joking.

They are serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Elessar wrote: »
    As a currently single guy it's becoming clear to me that, without a significant capital windfall, I will be pretty much priced out of the market anywhere with decent amenities and transport links for the foreseeable future.

Originally we had single-income-wife-at-home purchasers of houses. Then things progressed so for a long time, it was dual-income couples who bought houses. Where did the idea come from, that it should revert to single-income buyers being able to?

Originally we had single-income-wife-at-home purchasers of houses. Then things progressed so for a long time, it was dual-income couples who bought houses. Where did the idea come from, that it should revert to single-income buyers being able to?

Why shouldn’t a single person be able to buy a home?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I’m lucky enough to own my own home. I only bought 19 years ago but its light years from the situation today. We were able to get a house in Dublin straight out of college on fairly low wages with just a 10% deposit. That’s how it should be. Where did things go so wrong?

People believe that property is an asset that MUST appreciate over time.

That only works when you have enough supply and enough demand to keep the cycle going.

Both supply and demand are completely out of whack the last 5 years.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I’m lucky enough to own my own home. I only bought 19 years ago but its light years from the situation today. We were able to get a house in Dublin straight out of college on fairly low wages with just a 10% deposit. That’s how it should be. Where did things go so wrong?

Bertie Ahern and all his croonies.

People believe that property is an asset that MUST appreciate over time.

That only works when you have enough supply and enough demand to keep the cycle going.

Both supply and demand are completely out of whack the last 5 years. There is an artificial price floor on property that makes absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭DaTown

Not unless covid speeds up the process:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Elessar wrote: »
    How many people here are able to afford their own home?

We own a home which we purchased back in the 1990s. The exact same factors applied then as now with exception that mortgage rates were far higher. We couldn't afford to live in an area with 'decent amenities and transport links'.

Solution? Move to an area where you can afford to live. No one has a God given right to live near family nor where there are with decent amenities and transport links. Desirable but if you want to pay your own way, which is an admirable trail, then look further afield.

Advertisement