Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford a home?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

So true. While you hear the younger generation talk of boomers/gen x benefiting from cheaper housing which could be bought on only one income, and then pulling up the ladder from under them and not caring about the younger generation, and their greed, etc., one thing that gets forgotten about is the likes of people who perhaps had a genuine need at one stage for council housing, staying in said council house when their situation improves and paying an absolute pittance in rent. Or couples living in 3/4 bed council housed whose children have flown the nest, have absolutely no need still for a house of that size. They’re blocking much needed council houses for those who have a greater need.

It’s not just people in who bought their own homes in different times who should be accused of greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's my issue with it. I'll never begrudge someone who, through no fault of their own, finds themselves in need of council housing. However, how it works needs to change imo. It shouldn't be the permanent solution it seems to be for some people. It's an assistance. In the example by DebDynamite above, the couple who no longer have kids should no longer be in the 3/4 bed house and should be moved if they still need it. We should not be letting people believe that their council house is their 4eva home. And i'm sure someone is thinking about the stress of possibly having to be moved out of it when things change, but I don't think that compares to the stress of those who earn too much to be considered for council housing, but not enough to be able to afford to buy one.

It's the same with any 'assistance' that the state provides, it's taken as a guarantee and should never be taken away. Child support should 100% be means tested, and limited to 2. And if there is an improvement in income for any reason, it should be looked at being stopped. We're encouraging people to not try because there's always something there to help them. And we're in this housing situation because of it.

Again, I won't begrudge those with genuine need, it's the 4eva brigade and the can't work won't work crowd. I'd be of the opinion that if someone wants to stay in a council house after they're sorted/no longer badly stuck, then it should convert to a rent-to-buy scheme.

Advertisement