Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford a home?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Tony EH wrote: »
    This is bollocks.

It's the view of everyone who bought a home in decades past.

The same "avocado toast" view of a younger generation who can't see the bottom rung of the property ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

More people could afford if they would go without a new car and three holidays every year

All the new suv are pcp. The white ones anyway and that is a fact.

All fur coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

TP_CM wrote: »
    You've paid about 30k off the mortgage though right? So from that perspective it's good. Don't forget to shop around for better rates now that you loan to value ratio has changed.

Nowhere near 30K, but it is starting to look like we've paid something off it. For a long time it felt like we'd pay off 5000 and they'd add 4800 interest onto it :D

Paid much more than 30K, but it hasn't knocked near it off the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Single, 25 and working on tech. I can't buy a house but I'll be able to buy an apartment in January. It's a start.

If you get yourself a partner who also works in tech, you'll be able to afford a house in a nice part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Terrible, awful idea. You'd have people building fire hazard death traps, or people building freezing crap buildings to rent to desperate people.

Let people build these houses for themselves, no renting.

What was wrong with the standard of The corporation houses built in the 40s and 50s.

All these regulations are fine, if you can afford them.

The people making the all the rules have their own houses, you'll find.

They're talking about doing up areas over shops in towns to make habitable for people. The fire regulations and heating regulations will cost a fortune. Any
    builder will tell you it's cheaper to build a new house.

I live in a town where there may be about 4 or 500 townhouses.

They all date from the 19th century or 20th century. No fire doors or fire escapes.

There has never been a fire in any of these houses for the last 100 years.

Why is this,?

Because people have an innate interest and ability to look after their own safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If you get yourself a partner who also works in tech, you'll be able to afford a house in a nice part of Dublin.

Yeah but what if they break up?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Single people in Dublin pretty much don't stand a chance. If you're on 60k a year, you'll get a mortgage of 210k. A 30k deposit means you can afford a place that costs 240k. What the fúck can you get in Dublin for that?

A 3 bed semi in fairly stable parts of West Dublin (better parts of Blanch, Tallaght, Clondalkin)

In saying that, 210 to 260 was the price for these type of homes pre Covid, the pent up demand has pushed it upwards.

Hopefully only temporary, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It's the view of everyone who bought a home in decades past.

The same "avocado toast" view of a younger generation who can't see the bottom rung of the property ladder.

And it's still bollocks though. :D

That kind "avocado toast" rhetoric just ignores the fact that housing is simply too bloody overpriced. It has become normalised in our society to think that this is the way things should be.

Younger folk have grown up under the disasterous handling of FF which tanked the entire country (not for the first time either) and the SNAFU approach of FG. They don't know any better.

We really need to change how we handle housing, because a very bleak future is on the cards if we keep going this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Bought last year. Spent 3 years living with parents to save, we were waiting for a dip in prices and as a result, had a very healthy deposit saved. The dip wasn't really happening so we started looking early 2020.

Originally we were looking for a small 3 bed doer upper in Dublin city but covid changed all that with more flexibility with wfh so we completely changed our plans and moved an hour away from Dublin and got a beautiful home in a lovely area. Never moving again :)

Here's a funny idea.

Given how it's so hard to buy one bastard house, never min buy one and later move on to something better, do you reckon in 30- 40 years some housin estates will be an absolute jurassic park of only elderly couples who bought in the 2000's to 2020's and never managed to move on due to the sheer costs involved?

Similarly, are we headed for a glut of available properties for sale when the people who bought up houses like it was going out of fashion in the 90s into 2007 start to die off in 40 odd years and their kids put the homes on the market?

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I can afford one but im very picky. I want a detached in a nice area, private site with a nice garden and it has to look good.

.... and at least five miles from the nearest social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Let people build these houses for themselves, no renting.

And what happens when they decide they want to sell their piece of crap house? Most would cut corners on things like fire safety, thermal performance etc. Some poor schmoe who couldn't afford a properly constructed place buys some poorly wired and badly plumbed thing with an undersized heating system.
    All these regulations are fine, if you can afford them.

Regulations aren't for fun or to provoke people, they genuinely do improve the standard and quality of the house, the ergonomics of it, the safety of it, the thermal performance of it, the cost to heat the home etc.

They're talking about doing up areas over shops in towns to make habitable for people. The fire regulations and heating regulations will cost a fortune. Any builder will tell you it's cheaper to build a new house.

Fire safety design seems just like insurance, expensive and nobody wants to pay for it, but it's invaluable and literally a life saver in the event a fire starts. Like insurance, you hope you can grumble about it and never need to see how valuable it is.
    People have an innate ability to look after their own safety.

............ no, they don't. It's like being a really careful driver, it doesn't matter if you meet a goon after a few pints on the wrong side of the road with his lights off. Be as careful as you want in your mid-terrace home, if the goon beside you falls asleep with a cigarette or leaves a chip pan on etc, he's possibly taking your house with his own.

Tell me about Grenfell Towers then, a fire caused by a faulty fridge freezer, where does peoples innate sense of safety come into play here?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Social housing is everywhere, I mean everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Here's a funny idea.

Given how it's so hard to buy one bastard house, never min buy one and later move on to something better, do you reckon in 30- 40 years some housin estates will be an absolute jurassic park of only elderly couples who bought in the 2000's to 2020's and never managed to move on due to the sheer costs involved?

Similarly, are we headed for a glut of available properties for sale when the people who bought up houses like it was going out of fashion in the 90s into 2007 start to die off in 40 odd years and their kids put the homes on the market?

Estates should be designed with a variety of houses to suit many different owners.

In my estate there are 5 bed detached house, 5 bed townhouse, 4 bed detached and end of terrace, 3 bed semi-d, 3 and 2 bed terraces and 2 bed single story detached houses and 2 bed apartments.

That should keep the place fairly diverse age wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was looking at a house in the last 6 months, a great house in an okish estate. I decided against as there was some social housing nearby. I drove through the estate lately and its got rough enough, some dodgy looking characters around, glad I didn't buy it. id rather spend another 100 k on a house in a nice estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

And what happens when they decide they want to sell their piece of crap house? Most would cut corners on things like fire safety, thermal performance etc. Some poor schmoe who couldn't afford a properly constructed place buys some poorly wired and badly plumbed thing with a

Regulations aren't for fun or to provoke people, they genuinely do improve the standard and quality of the house, the ergonomics of it, the safety of it, the thermal performance of it, the cost to heat the home etc.

Fire safety design seems just like insurance, expensive and nobody wants to pay for it, but it's invaluable and literally a life saver in the event a fire starts. Like insurance, you hope you can grumble about it and never need to see how valuable it is.

............ no, they don't. It's like being a really careful driver, it doesn't matter if you meet a goon after a few pints on the wrong side of the road with his lights off. Be as careful as you want in your mid-terrace home, if the goon beside you falls asleep with a cigarette or leaves a chip pan on etc, he's possibly taking your house with his own.

Tell me about Grenfell Towers then, a fire caused by a faulty fridge freezer, where does peoples innate sense of safety come into play here?[/quot

I'm not saying there should be no regulations, but they should be drastically reduced, as we are in a great housing crisis, which will have huge social implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Just finalising the contract with the builder to start building our own house, hopefully will break ground by the end of the month. We moved from Dublin to the Midlands last December, my parents gifted us a 1 acre site. We had been looking in Dublin for 2 years but couldn't get anything We both agreed on or when we could, we ended up being outbid and that was with is having combined salary of more than €150k and a deposit of over €60k. Covid made the decision for us to move and my employer has agreed I will only need to be in the office 1 day a week when all this is over. It means my wife can leave work til the kids start school and we will be able to pay the mortgage and live on my salary, no way that could happen if we were still in Dublin. I dread to think what it would be like if we were still up there and trying to find somewhere, the system has utterly failed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fils wrote: »
    The experts say a crash is on the way.

I can't wait for the banks to start kicking people out of their homes so I can buy one of them up cheap. Yay.

I've been planning to move out of Dublin (well out of Dublin) to buy for a couple of years now. Had settled on Waterford City/Tramore/Dungarvan. Prices in Waterford have shot up in the last year or so and if I don't manage to pick something up there this year (houses in Dungarvan and Tramore are like hens teeth) then that is me out of it for a few years I reckon, unless the predicted housing crash comes.

Quite happy to move well out of Dublin, but I would like to live in a decent sized town with reasonably easy access to Dublin for the weekly or whatever trip to the office/up to see my parents.

Hey!

Wanna buy a house?

Just get married to someone with a good job! It's easy!!

Lol.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I suppose.

• Advertisement

my employer has agreed I will only need to be in the office 1 day a week when all this is over.

What's the job market like in the Midlands if you lose your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm saving, but it appears I'm stuck living at home for god knows how long, unless I up sticks and move to the middle of nowhere.

I suppose it depends on what you class as the middle of nowhere. Small town living has it advantages including lower house prices and cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Originally we had single-income-wife-at-home purchasers of houses. Then things progressed so for a long time, it was dual-income couples who bought houses. Where did the idea come from, that it should revert to single-income buyers being able to?

I can’t work out if this is a joke or not?

There was a time when houses were of a reasonable enough price (as they should be) that YOU could buy it as a single applicant.
    But now that shouldn’t be the case?

Am I reading this right? So you’re basically saying you were alright but why should anyone else be? That’s just an insane mindset.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Estates should be designed with a variety of houses to suit many different owners.

In my estate there are 5 bed detached house, 5 bed townhouse, 4 bed detached and end of terrace, 3 bed semi-d, 3 and 2 bed terraces and 2 bed single story detached houses and 2 bed apartments.

That should keep the place fairly diverse age wise.

Why would anybody buy a 2 bed home? If you happen to have a boy and girl you're either moving on or doing an attic conversion within 10 years (or even two boys once they start killing each other)

Really baffles me. There weren't even any two beds built from circa the 60's to just a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is something the "move outta Dublin and buy a house for 100k" crowd never contemplate.

You could move to County Blarney and buy a cheapo gaff. But then find yourself back up in Dublin looking for a job when the company you work for up sticks and move to India.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I work in the insurance industry and have had several different roles and gained alot of niche experience and some supporting qualifications. I have also made a huge amount of contacts. I'm comfortable in the fact that worst case scenario I could get a new job tomorrow within 30 - 45 minutes drive of where I'm living. I'm also close to a train network that runs to connolly if I did end up having to get a new job in Dublin. Commute wouldn't be ideal but it would be doable.

I've a cousin going through this now. It is hell for him.

I think they split up about 18 months ago and he can't get the dozy cow out of the house. He has even given her an extra 7k or something and she still won't sign the paperwork and get out.

His stupid sister now wants to buy a house with some lad she's only known a few months.

I was looking at a house in the last 6 months, a great house in an okish estate. I decided against as there was some social housing nearby. I drove through the estate lately and its got rough enough, some dodgy looking characters around, glad I didn't buy it. id rather spend another 100 k on a house in a nice estate.

We did exactly that. Charlestown to Glasnevin. Worth every penny.

I work in the insurance industry and have had several different roles and gained alot of niche experience and some supporting qualifications. I have also made a huge amount of contacts. I'm comfortable in the fact that worst case scenario I could get a new job tomorrow within 30 - 45 minutes drive of where I'm living. I'm also close to a train network that runs to connolly if I did end up having to get a new job in Dublin. Commute wouldn't be ideal but it would be doable.

You also, I'm guessing, will have a far lower mortgage on the house you are building than you'd have had on anything you would have been buying in Dublin so you could likely get a job even in different industry on lower wage and still survive.

• Advertisement

Why would anybody buy a 2 bed home? If you happen to have a boy and girl you're either moving on or doing an attic conversion within 10 years (or even two boys once they start killing each other)

Really baffles me. There weren't even any two beds built from circa the 60's to just a few years ago.

I would buy a two bed house.
    Not everyone has or wants kids you know

Advertisement