Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford a home?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

No one is "entitled" to a home. Certainly those that don't even save for a deposit.

First world problems, many in other western countries live in apartments with their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭gw80

I could afford a mortgage now alright, but near the end of the last boom,07,08, we were approved a mortgage, but took a while to find a house so while waiting the crash happened and we never drew down the mortgage, lost my job a few months later, stayed in the council house and upskilled over the next few years,
    I am 40 now and earning upwards of 70k a year and I suppose I should move out of the cheap council house and rent privately,but I'll be ****ed if I am going to cripple myself with dept at this stage of my life, nor am I going to pay someone else's mortgage just for their kids to come along when I am in my 60s a throw me out on the street because they think they can get more money on Airbnb,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

With a lot of people wfh, shouldn't people start looking at options which doesn't include living within a 20 minute cycle of the city centre

That's not how a lot of Irish people think though. I MUST live near the city, I MUST live near where I grew up etc.. We're pretty immature as a race when it comes to housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Fils wrote: »
    I wouldn’t blame them. Social housing is the posh phrase for council house. Sadly 98% of council house dwellers are people who would be a nightmare to be neighbours with.

The absolute bang of snob off this post is something else.

I live in a council estate, work in a civil service job, as does my partner. We can't afford to buy privately, simple as that - doesn't make us 'nightmares', nor are the vast majority of our neighbours.

I'd say there are two or three families that have caused issues from time to time in the whole estate, but you could get that in any private estate also. The rest of us are hard working, respectful people who take pride in where we live and have a great sense of community.

I'd take my neighbours over people who consider themselves better than anyone else any day of the week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Really baffles me. There weren't even any two beds built from circa the 60's to just a few years ago.

There have been (private, not council) two beds built in the area I live consistently from the early 80s til now.

Pre the early 80s, there really wasn't much built at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I'm not saying there should be no regulations, but they should be drastically reduced, as we are in a great housing crisis, which will have huge social implications.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

gw80 wrote: »
    I could afford a mortgage now alright, but near the end of the last boom,07,08, we were approved a mortgage, but took a while to find a house so while waiting the crash happened and we never drew down the mortgage, lost my job a few months later, stayed in the council house and upskilled over the next few years,
    I am 40 now and earning upwards of 70k a year and I suppose I should move out of the cheap council house and rent privately,but I'll be ****ed if I am going to cripple myself with dept at this stage of my life, nor am I going to pay someone else's mortgage just for their kids to come along when I am in my 60s a throw me out on the street because they think they can get more money on Airbnb,

And neither would anyone else truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup but had to piss off over here to the Essex wilderness where they give 5x salary

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tony EH wrote: »
    Working from home won't last.

Absolutely it will. The recent IT (I think it was) survey showed that the vast majority want and expect it to continue.

Similar reports are coming out of the US where employees are actively resigning if their employers don't offer it (have a look over the WFH thread in the Covid forum)

My own company has recently done a staff survey where over 80% want either full WFH or flexible days. They are now looking at ways to deliver as they know that staff will walk otherwise.

Changing attitudes to WFH is one of the only good things to come from the last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hello Moto GP

Working from home won't last.

It will, a lot of workplaces now offering two in the office, three from home.

It seems to be the model now going forward.

It will also allow them to attract better staff as a lot of people won't mind commuting two days a week.

Its going to drive up house prices now outside of Dublin is the only thing as more and more people will want to move out of Dublin.

People will move jobs now if they can't get remote work. Why pay 400k for a Semi D in Dublin when you can get an absolute mansion of a bungalow down the country for that.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Absolutely it will.

No. It absolutely will not.

Once Covid is gone, employers will want employees back in the office. It's already starting in some places.

We're in a country where most employers think that if you're "working" from home, you're really just **** on the web all day.

Don't be thinking that just because Covid forced employers to enter into a WFH scenario, that that's the way things are going to be from now on. You'll be surprised at just how fast things will snap back to pre Covid situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

PauloMN wrote: »
    That's not how a lot of Irish people think though. I MUST live near the city, I MUST live near where I grew up .

This attitude amazes me.

Why, for example, should someone from abroad get to live in Dublin in a council property/ a home with state subsidized rent, while someone who grew up in the area should commute from Drogheda?

Once Covid is gone, employers will want employees back in the office. It's already starting in some places.

We're in a country where most employers think that if you're "working" from home, you're really just **** on the web all day.

Don't be thinking that just because Covid forced employers to enter into a WFH scenario, that that's the way things are going to be from now on. You'll be surprised at just how fast things will snap back to pre Covid situations.

What absolute nonsense, my company has already introduced a hybrid model post covid where we are required in the office two days a week and work from home the other three.
    We employ 7,000 people.

I. Why pay 400k for a Semi D in Dublin when you can get an absolute mansion of a bungalow down the country for that.

- Social life

- Public transport

- Nearby shops

- Weekend activites

- Better to raise kids in an urban neighbourhood vs some townland with so few other kids to play with two year groups are taught by one teacher

Depends on the person, but unless you're some wild outdoorsman country living is shiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Absolutely it will. The recent IT (I think it was) survey showed that the vast majority want and expect it to continue.

Similar reports are coming out of the US where employees are actively resigning if their employers don't offer it (have a look over the WFH thread in the Covid forum)

My own company has recently done a staff survey where over 80% want either full WFH or flexible days. They are now looking at ways to deliver as they know that staff will walk otherwise.

Changing attitudes to WFH is one of the only good things to come from the last year

Employees want it. Do businesses want it?
    I'm very skeptical of the WFH push. All I hear is that people are "just as productive" as before, which all evidence suggests is nonsense. People are working less productively and working longer to cover for it, so say most recent research.

People will be pulled back into offices over time. If you're buying a house based on WFH, get the details fixed in your contract.

What absolute nonsense, my company has already introduced a hybrid model post covid where we are required in the office two days a week and work from home the other three.
    We employ 7,000 people.

A temporary measure, I'll bet. ;)

- Social life

- Public transport

- Nearby shops

- Weekend activites

- Better to raise kids in an urban neighbourhood vs some townland with so few other kids to play with two year groups are taught by one teacher

Depends on the person, but unless you're some wild outdoorsman country living is shiet.

Do you think the rest of Ireland is like something out of the wind that shakes the barley or something?

Plenty of great towns and cities around Ireland with plenty to do.

A temporary measure, I'll bet. ;)

Nope, permanent measure along tons of other companies, maybe have a look at this thread and see the nonsense your talking about it.

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058059949

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Major companies have already announced remote working as permanent options. Other companies will follow. Remote/blended/hybrid is the future for jobs which allow it. Flexibility from WFH is a huge bonus for employers as well as employees given the way a lot of jobs work now, they'd be mad to go back to 9-5 office work.

WFH is here to stay and it will have a big impact on housing.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/google-ireland-says-20pc-of-staff-can-now-work-from-home-permanently-40391731.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-95-of-people-favour-some-form-of-remote-working-after-pandemic-1.4568285

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/remote-working-a-deal-breaker-for-close-to-half-of-job-candidates-1.4592306

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Employees want it. Do businesses want it?
    I'm very skeptical of the WFH push. All I hear is that people are "just as productive" as before, which all evidence suggests is nonsense. People are working less productively and working longer to cover for it, so say most recent research.

People will be pulled back into offices over time. If you're buying a house based on WFH, get the details fixed in your contract.

It's certainly understandable. I work from home and have done since before Covid. My wife does now too, but her employer has already started the "we want you back in the office a couple of days a week", despite the fact that she doesn't need to be there at all. Working from home allows you a freedom that's fantastic.

But it's a fantasy that WFH will become the norm for everyone. It's just not going to happen.

And I MOST DEFINITELY would not be thinking of buying a house with that even remotely factored in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It will, a lot of workplaces now offering two in the office, three from home.

It seems to be the model now going forward.

It will also allow them to attract better staff as a lot of people won't mind commuting two days a week.

Its going to drive up house prices now outside of Dublin is the only thing as more and more people will want to move out of Dublin.

People will move jobs now if they can't get remote work. Why pay 400k for a Semi D in Dublin when you can get an absolute mansion of a bungalow down the country for that.

A lot of people refuse to leave Dublin, even if the cost of living there is extremely high. This isn't just born and bred Dub's, a lot of people from the country love living in Dublin and refuse to leave as they wont have all the perks of city living down the country. no starbucks, no 3 arena, michelin restaurants etc

Nope, permanent measure along tons of other companies, maybe have a look at this thread and see the nonsense your talking about it.

You're living in a dream world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭pgj2015

- Social life

- Public transport

- Nearby shops

- Weekend activites

on the flip side of that, kids who grow up in cities will have more experience of drugs, crime etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pgj2015 wrote: »
    A lot of people refuse to leave Dublin, even if the cost of living there is extremely high. This isn't just born and bred Dub's, a lot of people from the country love living in Dublin and refuse to leave as they wont have all the perks of city living down the country. no starbucks, no 3 arena, michelin restaurants etc

There are more Michelin starred restaurants in Ireland outside of Dublin than in Dublin.

There are Starbucks fecking everywhere. But the number in Dublin City Centre has been declining for years.

Time will tell.
    WFH is still a novel concept. Employee engagement, especially new hires who have never stepped foot in an office or met a coworker in real life, will have to be monitored and measures.

Honestly, I don't think it's here to stay. Businesses will want a hybrid model (which my own employer is going for) but honestly that's the worst of both worlds IMO.

True to an extent, but that's more an age thing. In your 20s that's all stuff you want more. As you get older, having a nice place for the kids to grow up, space, fresh air and lot of room in an affordable house becomes the priority. How often would I go to the 3 Arena now? Once a year? There's nothing that would bring me back to Dublin, even if I could move the house I have now into a nice Dublin suburb.

Mind you, I was never into wanky restaurants or bars!!!

on the flip side of that, kids who grow up in cities will have more experience of drugs, crime etc

Plenty of that in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All comes down to saving and spending.

Too much spending nowadays on stuff that really isn't needed.

Then the 30s come and the realisation hits home.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Time will tell.
    WFH is still a novel concept. Employee engagement, especially new hires who have never stepped foot in an office or met a coworker in real life, will have to be monitored and measures.

Honestly, I don't think it's here to stay. Businesses will want a hybrid model (which my own employer is going for) but honestly that's the worst of both worlds IMO.

That's why i'm saying the norm seems to be two days in office been offered now and three days work from home. Some companies it may be three days in office and two days work from home. I'm not saying every company is going to offer five days work from home, thats never going to happen.

• Advertisement

In my experience rural towns are as full of drugs as urban areas. The drinking culture can be even heavier- rural nightclubs tend to admit anybody who can stand up reasonably no matter how out of it they are.

Maybe not so much heroin, but very few teenagers are doing that in Dublin any more so it's a moot point.

Advertisement