Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mental health and CoVid-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Most of my colleagues manage to have some fun at work, but myself I have a very hard time to think positive and have a smile.
    I only see dark ahead, because I know that we won't ever go back to the life pre-pandemic, the new life will be much sadder, I know that for sure!

You absolutely do not know this for sure. I am living in the US and have been at 2 indoor events in the last month at which there were 20,000 other people. We no longer have to wear masks or socially distance at work.

I am lucky enough to be living in an area where the governor took strong decisive action in March of 2020 and since then the general public have done what they can in staying at home, and for over 12 months, wearing masks and socially distancing at all times in public. And when the opportunity came to get vaccinated, most people took it.
    I'm not suggesting you or others in Ireland haven't done this (though I know mask wearing wasn't near as wide spread) but my experience shows that with the right approach, normality can and does return.

The last 15 months has also shown us that just wishing a problem away doesn't make it happen and empty words from politicians or influential stakeholders are of no value if there isn't logic or purpose to them. Humans have faced crisis before, and will again, and normality has returned sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

You absolutely do not know this for sure. I am living in the US and have been at 2 indoor events in the last month at which there were 20,000 other people. We no longer have to wear masks or socially distance at work.
    [...]

Humans have faced crisis before, and will again, and normality has returned sooner or later.

I do know that nothing will be like it was pre-pandemic, simply because this crisis will last years, we're far from the end of it, new variants will show up, more fear will be instilled, and it will leave lots of marks and scars behind.
    We will all remember these years for the rest of our lives. How could such a heavy memory let us live our lives as they were before? A few habits and measures will remain, and they will make the future life different from what it was pre-pandemic, so it won't be the normality we knew.

The years we have lost, and all the opportunities connected with them, will never come back, and this will make me and other people sad for sure.

A new normality, or any other thing that doesn't look like it is now, will return for sure, but it won't be what I (or others) liked to have.
    That's why I say I do know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jayp2020

I do know that nothing will be like it was pre-pandemic, simply because this crisis will last years, we're far from the end of it, new variants will show up, more fear will be instilled, and it will leave lots of marks and scars behind.
    We will all remember these years for the rest of our lives. How could such a heavy memory let us live our lives as they were before? A few habits and measures will remain, and they will make the future life different from what it was pre-pandemic, so it won't be the normality we knew.

The years we have lost, and all the opportunities connected with them, will never come back, and this will make me and other people sad for sure.

A new normality, or any other thing that doesn't look like it is now, will return for sure, but it won't be what I (or others) liked to have.
    That's why I say I do know.

You are right that this is a life-altering event but maybe expand your perspective beyond Ireland, really look at what's happening in other countries. We're in a unique situation here in that we've had the most severe lockdown in Europe and we're now maintaining more restrictions than elsewhere. Nphet has taken an ultra-cautious approach, informed by the fragility of our healthcare system. In many other countries things ARE pretty much back to normal. They'll never forget this horrible time but they've moved on. We are waaaay behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭Tork

I also think you could do with spending less time on the Coronavirus threads here on boards. I'm convinced that in their own way, they're doing every bit as much harm to people's mental health as the restrictions themselves. The negativity, doom-mongering, conspiracy theories and anger in there is toxic and needs to be taken in small doses. When boards goes read-only for a day or two this week, there will be some people who won't know how to fill their days because the Coronavirus forums have become part of their daily routine.

Perhaps your colleagues are happier because they're not reading boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Post edited by ClosedAccountFuzzy on

• Advertisement

For the sake of my mental health, can a mod ban me from this forum? My previously requested ban has gone away since the site update

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

History says otherwise. Things got back to normal fairly quickly after previous pandemics. People hit hard by SARS in the last decade also just got on with it but with a better pandemic response system in place. It will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I think that the lockdown has effected the positive people harder than the mentally ill. Reason? If you are mentally ill, another day is another day regardless of lockdown or not. If you are a positive person, the lockdown means a restriction on your ambition and zest.

I would not class the SARS as a pandemic. 700 deaths over 2 years in 30 countries amounts to little under a death per day over the 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you cling to that view then for you it will be true. FNo years have been lost. Lived differently. As others are saying things will be different but still can be good. And we can choose that. ..Old saying.. One man looking through prison bars.. One saw the mud, the other the stars... We choose where we look... The stars are always there. As is the mud of course. I was awake in the night thinking about all this, here in my third year of total isolation. Of how much we have in reality. I for one have never gone hungry or lacked a roof over my head. I can walk. Can see. and so on. I have had fifty years of serious health issues but still life is good. Even now. We will all get through this. We really will .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If I remember right, Irish Stones is American.

Here in Ireland we have seen so much sheer courage in all this. So much stamina and what we in Yorkshire I am English but in Ireland over twenty years used to call grit and gumption. In the face of all that covid has thrown at us here. My faith family has lost seven of our beloved members to covid in India working to save babies. We honour their memory and all the suffering here by lifting our faces and telling covid what we think of it and living our iives in every way open to us. Mourn but do not let grief ruin any more,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

My mental health has deteriorated due to covid 19. So I went to the GP and I was after a referral to the public mental health system.

Sadly, my GP informed me that no such thing exists here in Ireland. I am from the Netherlands where we do have that, so it was just yet another great disappointment in this country.

Oh and no I am also not getting vaccinated, I have way more serious issues to attend to such as my mental health. Now I am just taking a cold shower every morning to fix that up. And before the xenophobes tell me to 'go back to where you came from !' no because my employer won't allow me to.

Surely if Covid is impacting your mental health, the best thing you could do to improve your mental health is to take the biggest step towards protecting yourself from Covid.

I'm double vaccinated and that has massively increased my confidence in going about my daily business and starting to enjoy going to shows and sporting events and other things like eating out again.

But I already do those things if I wish to do them. I am not afraid of covid, as I am also not afraid to die.

Now I do have to say I am generally not one to enjoy a night out in a big packed club, going to festivals or sporting matches and the like. Didn't do that much before covid either.

This is a thread to help people with their mental health so I apologise in advance if I appear to be challenging you, it is not my intent to attack you directly or anything.

But in your second to last post, you said that your mental health has been affected because of Covid, in you last post you said that you are not afraid of Covid. Whatever the reasons that Covid has impacted your mental health, whether it is risk of you getting it, or impact of others getting it, the path to putting Covid behind us requires as many people as possible in getting vaccinated. We all want the same thing, surely we should do what we can to bring that about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Not getting vaccinated is really going to help you here bud 😣

What is affecting my mental health is the abysmal government policy, not the fact that covid is affecting others (I couldn't care less) nor the risk of it affecting me (which is minimal, and even if I would die from it because I happen to be the unlucky 0,000001 percent so what).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭airy fairy

First time posting here, been reading though.

Do you care about the risk of YOU infecting someone else, someone that would be vaccinated, but immunocompromised where vaccines may not work well and they die because you infected them?

Do you care about or do you think you'd feel guilty that you may have been partly responsible for this person's death? By not playing your part in society? If you're not worried about dying, then why not help others that do care, and get vaccinated?

Not tryna tell you how to run your mental health thread but using it as an opportunity to guilt/ridicule/pressure people into medical procedures you would like them to undergo ain’t it, chums.

Don't know if this was aimed at me but I'm not going to apologise for a second for advocating what medical professionals say we should do in the case of a medical emergency.

Not even the tiniest fraction of an apology.

And I'm not going to stop advocating to try to help as many people as possible to stay safe so that some form of normality can return either. To advocate based on educated, informed medical advice is not attempting to guilt or pressure anyone but to inform them.

It is indeed depressing if you suffer from mental health issues due to covid and it takes so long to get appropriate care in this country yes. Fully agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see what your intending to do but I won't bite, but just to clarify as you've clearly missed my point, Depressing as in your quite extraordinary sentiments towards elderly people, actually it's disturbing.

Let's leave it at that

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

No, I don't think you understand what you are saying or what is being said back to you! Nobody said you are in immigrant, I said you are a guest of this country, you are not a Citizen and you do not have exactly the same rights as any Irish person as you point out yourself you can't vote in Government elections and if you break the law you can be deported. However you completely miss my point, which I am not surprised about. You are Dutch, you live in Ireland, base common decency and manners would dictate that you do not come onto an Irish forum and spout vitriol and hatred about said host country, or comments such as 'I couldn't care less if old Irish people die'.

I would recommend not staying seeing as you clearly hate it here, as you say, you've the pick of another 26 countries to go and live in and moan about not being as good as the Netherlands!!

You may have learned English but you clearly haven't learned to read properly, I didn't say I was Irish, I said I was an Irish citizen, this is a right granted to Foreign Birth's of Irish descent. I was born in England and reared there, my parents were Irish and so as myself and my Irish wife live here, I became an Irish citizen, I can't speak Gaeilge but then my wife only has a little and she was born and reared here. I'm sure you're fluent! LOL! All of this does however make me more Irish than yourself!

Again with the Xenephobic rhetoric, this 'Brit' isn't trying to influence your decisions, as you say yourself about not caring less about the people of Ireland, I couldn't care any less about yourself. I'm just saying it's clear you hate it here and don't care for the people so perhaps you'd be happier moving on.

I do find it laughably ironic though that someone whose parents were Irish who you term a Brit is giving out to a fellow EU citizen about their disgusting attitude towards the country and it's people!

If it helps with the Brit bashing rhetoric, the wife and I moved back here as soon as we could after we found out 51% of the country were total morons!

I feel sorry for you, you're obviously living in a seriously negative world right now, blasting your host country and it's people with bile isn't going to help you and it's becoming apparent that you're not going to help yourself, just moan you can't get someone else to help you on your terms.

Good luck.

Maybe in about a year or so yeah. Still not entirely sure about it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted. This is a serious thread for those seeking or providing support on mental health issues in a constructive manner. Please stick to the topic or do not post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Great post Graces7, head up and keep going, we'll all get through this

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More posts deleted

If you wish to discuss masks use the dedicated thread, which is not this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Totally scared here - not a virus but global digital humankind control. Going back to 90's in my memory is like travel to fairyland paradise. People will NEVER have a fraction of freedom we had then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm late at replying, I apologize.

No, I'm not American, I'm Italian and live in Italy. But I love Ireland and, like someone said, for a weird reason I have a passion for Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't think I can take another lockdown

Bloody have tickets to a concert in the UK in September and they will probably ban any foreign people entering the venues even fully vaccinated. What's the point heading over for the trip if the main reason is taken away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Luke O Neill now talking about post Covid ptsd. How about post Covid euphoria for a minute? I’m buying a new watch!

Advertisement