Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mental health and CoVid-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is easier for me as with the severity of the CFS/ME my life is very restricted anyway and at 78 even more so. When the new element of no working immune system was realised I took that a step further and cane out here. In essence covid has made no difference to my life- except that there are more facilities for homebound folk

BUT- and it is a very big BUT - at one stage I did have to make a huge adjustment at a very deep level. And that comes across as what is not happening here?

We cope only by accepting fully and adapting fully. In mind and heart and in how we spend our time.

Easier for many here as you are still in full health.

The need is to stop thinking and living as you did pre-covid. Stop .. well grieving.. is the word that comes to mind. You still have health and energy. Still have skills.

You CAN do this. You really can . Stop grieving? I lost everything including my home, my work, my family - but at stage. slowly. I started to regroup.

Start ONE new thing? Just one small new thing? That will take the sting out and break the cycle.

Some of your post resonates with me Graces and I know you have good intentions but a person simply cannot stop grieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Going to disagree there. It is hard but it is something we all and each need to learn to do if we want to live. Rather then exist. And I know this many times in my own long life. We can choose; we really can choose. And please do not accuse me of "good intentions" ! What an insult!

Here if you want to talk. Always and praying for each of you every day. Blessings and peace. As they say a man may take a horse to water etc! I had to learn all this the very hard way many times . And could have ended the pain sooner as we do have choice. The door is there. Look through it? Ah the beauty there

When you find the off switch for grief please do tell myself and others.

As for my comment regarding 'good intentions', that was meant with kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I do appreciate everyone's efforts and advice here, but it's a process that every and each of us has to learn how to handle.

Being brain-washed every single day by TV news on new surges, waves, variants, and so on, does not help.

Winter isn't the best season to try and live up for sure, at least in my case.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

We mostly can choose what media we consume.

I keep up with what restrictions are in place by looking at gov.ie. I choose not to listen to or watch news about variants or latest figures. I know that it will not help me, mentally, and it was a decision I took very early on, in all of this.

I used to occasionally glance at the coronavirus forum here on boards but mostly stopped doing that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I’m really struggling at the moment. I live a very restricted life as it is so I don’t need to check the COVID news, but I do a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It is hard at the minute. I hope things get easier for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So hard not to feel a bit anxious now with that Headline this morning saying ' NPHET will be recommending more restrictions 'and we all know when they recommend the government accepts

Almost a week from Christmas and with the numbers going in the right direction we get punished. Wtf so they want us to do ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Sorry to hear that you are really struggling. I hope that things improve for you very soon. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭anplaya27

Try being a Deaf ISL user and get back to me when you realise the impact of 2 years of mandatory mask wearing has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

My fiance was meant to be in a panto this january. His first time back on stage in 2 years. It was cancelled tonight after the announcements.

I know it's small fry compared to everything else going on, but these announcements just hit me hard. It just feels like it's never going to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Said too much. Nevermind.

Post edited by ShadowTech on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Everyone stay safe please, This farce is not worth going to the Grave/Furnace for, please please please talk to someone if your feeling anyway down. Save money and if possible explore your interests maybe think about travelling to experience them, Live your life the best you can. This may feel like it will last forever but it wont

Stay strong, this is a good resource for anyone feeling low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, it has been one surreal 24 months for me, and others to I can see. I can not say I was in great shape this last 10 weeks as so many things went down the pan but things are looking up just in time for Christmas and the year-end celebrations. Speaking from the point of view of the deaf and hearing-impaired I still get a touch of the Ebenezer's when someone calls my mobile using a private number even though I keep telling everyone who will be listing that I can not use phones. I even have a nice voice mail asking folks to send a text or send an email but they still ring! Not to start on about the RSA and my 5 times cancelled bike test but now I think my GP and the HSE are on the bandwagon of phoning me up for appointments. Never mind. On Monday I will attend the Tralee booster clinic and hopefully, that will set me up for the rest of this year.... we will talk about next year in a few weeks!!! :):)

Keep well everyone

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I feel so lonely that when the scam tinder accounts start talking to me now, I just go along with it til they ask for money. More conversation than I'm having with anyone else.

Tell us about the loneliness, have you always felt it or is it since Covid arrived?

No, always, i have mental health issues anyway. I've regressed in this last year though tbh. The progress I was making in being more confident and doing things (I have social anxiety) is completely gone.

Not sure I've had a conversation over 5 minutes in person since all this happened (outside of people I pay to talk to me anyway)

• Advertisement

Travelling is exactly what we can not do. Anymore. Ever.

I'm positive about this, nobody can make me think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

When you say paying someone to talk to you, you mean therapist? I had been going to one from July to November, probably about 8 sessions. It helped a bit but ultimately I became tired of it and like you, my problems had been looming long before covid.

I just found the therapist experience to be hollow. I understand it works for many but I'm starting to think I'm one of those better off taking medication to manage my anxiety and depression.

Yup, been going to therapists on and off since I was 15 (I'm now 32). Its slowed down during covid though sadly.

The pandemic has exacerbated existing struggles for many and created new ones as well. When you don't have the opportunities to do things and and be around others then it makes sense that you'd regress. I'm sorry. Life remains in a strange sort of state but maybe you can slowly find your way back to where you were? The progress you made was real so is still in you.

Plenty of therapists are seeing clients face to face now and also offer online sessions. Might be an idea to try and re-engage with one? You do pay them to listen but having that ear can be helpful and maybe take the sting out of loneliness.

We can still travel. You can book a flight to Ireland. There are a few hoops to jump through regarding travel pass needed and a passenger locator form, It isn't accurate to say that we can't do it. My in laws are recently back from Spain and my elderly aunt and uncle are currently there. I know things can change quickly but as of now you can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

What a world we are living in now. Got home last week fairly burnt out after months of on / off work away, lots of issues this year. Met a couple of friends at the weekend, no pints as was supposed to meet friends and godchild home for Christmas tomorrow and was trying to be careful. They are close contacts and looking at positive test now and can't meet up at all, will end up flying back pretty much on day isolation is over 🤕 been looking forward to it since the summer, really gutting,met the goddaughter once ever so far. then I'm meeting a friend on Thursday and they message me wanting me to do an antigen test before I meet them. I totally get it. I really do. But the whole thing is ruining Christmas for me. Jesus Christ, I'm so sick of covid, I nearly wish I just stayed away working. I feel very broken and gutted tonight. I'll sleep it off hopefully and focus on the marathon training instead for next few days and have Christmas with the parents I hope. Not looking for sympathy as others have it way worse, I just needed to get it off my chest and I've no where else to go with it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I finished work yesterday. I'm burned out. I've found covid hard with the WFH and the working day and personal time melding into one. Got back to my laptop that I'd accidentally left on - closed the lid so it didn't turn off. Went to turn it off and my boss had contacted me at 7.30 pm on teams despite an out of office set up. Ignored and turned off my laptop. Feck it. In saying that, people are worse off than me and have been through real turmoil with job losses, working on and off and on the PUP etc and the impact that brings to peoples mental health.

Anyway I was home alone today so heading into dublin city centre for a bit of last minute shopping. Got my few bits and pieces and decided to get a bite to eat. There I was, random Christmas song came on. I'd shared a memory of a lovely holiday I'd had pre covid and some of the comments from family and friends were lovely. I found myself welling up. A 50 year old man FFS. Its not the first time. Its changed our lives so much and the mental health of the general population has been changed for ever.

I am not long back from a trip bow hunting in the US myself. Travel is of course possible. It's a bit up and down at the moment though. For example anyone going from the UK to Germany is expected to isolate for a whopping 14 days! But I have a sibling coming home to Ireland from the UK for Christmas at the same time.

So a bit more effort involved in travel - especially dependent on where you are going to/from exactly - but I certainly am not having the same "never again any more ever" feeling you are getting.

Starting to flag a bit lately. Doing everything by the book and following the rules to the letter with covid. It's way beyond my comprehension as to how all of this happened and why. But it still feels like I (we) being punished. Moved back in with my Mum and Dad because it's somewhere familiar and I enjoy looking after them. I hope you all find some peace and relief.

• Advertisement

Yes, of course we can still travel, but not like we were used to.

By travelling I mean moving from place to place like we were doing it before this nightmare, without showing any certificate of vaccination or negative tests, or both. Without wearing a mask or taking hundreds of precautions.

Maybe, and I say maybe, we will be able to forget all of the above one day, maybe in five years or ten years or more, but we won't be able to forget the time and the chances of travelling the we lost in these five or ten years. This pain will never abandon me.

But maybe, when all this is over, I'll be so old that travelling will be my last thought.

Advertisement