Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mental health and CoVid-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

And now this new 'MU Variant' is here and no doubt calls will start about delaying the reopening cause of it please god it doesn't happen

Yep post covid hysteria will hit in a big way. Going to the UK in 2 weeks time for a concert and can't wait to for it. Getting back to the Airport and that pre flight pint will be like gold

I wonder will people start panicking a bit when we do reopen as they will be have lingering thoughts of previous reopenings where we closed very shortly after. The media need to play there part in this regard and try be positive

Yup.

I must go and buy a new coat to reflect the spirit in fashion!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

This thread is a resource for anyone who may be struggling with mental health issues surrounding the pandemic

Take discussions of vaccines and the like to one of the many dedicated threads

The mental health effects of covid could take a long time to overcome and some Government members are to blame for 80% of it

Constant doom and gloom, predicting this and that, not giving any hope etc

Lockdown has shown how easy it is to implement. One day you're working the next closed in a flash

The way the health service is, it's going to be manic esp in the mental health sector. The easy route of 'take these tablets and you'll be grand' will be rampant

And national TV and radio too. Especially the more 'talk' centric stations and the ones with "Eireann" in their initials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

Boards and social media have a lot to answer for too. Some posters seem to have become addicted to trawling the interwebs in search of material that would confirm their worst fears. That HAS to have done damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

The uncertainty and fear being whipped up by the media and the government this week has pushed me back into a depressive slump that I fought hard to get out of. The fact that we’re even talking about continuing restrictions with our stellar vaccine uptake has me thinking that life will never return to normal in Ireland. It’s been almost 2 years since I’ve felt really happy and even if the promised restrictions are lifted next week masks will stay which still largely makes me want to avoid the activities I enjoy. As sad as it makes me, I’m starting to think seriously about emigration. Nothing is certain of course, but in Ireland I’m constantly missing the real normal that I loved and it’s not healthy to see it constantly out of reach.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I am with you completely on this ShadowTech. Hell I'm now even regretting that I bothered getting vaccinated!! Whats the point really? This covid crap is hitting some people very hard but unfortunately we're "the minority". I have ASD and masks are the worst of the restrictions for me. Cannot stand them. So much so I've been avoiding most activities where they are needed. Unfortunately again most people seem ok with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

I’m really sorry, @yoyo . I feel much the same way about masks and about the vaccines. I thought that we had a social contract in place, that if we get our vaccines we’d get our lives back to normal. I think it’s impossible to pretend that’s ever going to happen now. It seems that the majority in Ireland are accepting of restrictions that cause me distress so I don’t hold out any hope anymore that there will be some kind of backlash. I feel utterly powerless because even as I watch the same pattern play out again (promises made, sudden last-minute concern, non-stop fear-mongering on every media, followed by reneging on the promises made and a moving of the goalposts) it’s already clear that most people will go along with it. I just know that I don’t have it in me to do this “new normal” in Ireland for much longer. I had some very dark days this year and I’m starting to feel that same despondency all over again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The shifting goalposts is extremely frustrating to me also. What is even more so is the inconsistent advice throughout. For example, everything is unsafe except for schools? Schools cases are up at the start of the new term? Lets do a Trump on it and stop testing the kids! So of course cases are up with schools back and kids passing it on to their parents and then on and on. Of course I believe schools should be open, but I am really angry when such contradictory advice.

I still believe a lot are happy to get on with these restrictions as many have found a fondness for WFH (note: no agenda here, I always WFH before covid, and like it) and with "concern" and "fear" it keeps the offices closed. My 2cs on it anyway, I cannot understand why people are so accepting at this point, with well over 90% of the adult population vaccinated.

But with RTE and co making a fortune from this, and with the general acceptance of restrictions I do also believe we have another few months even a year of this. But I hope to be proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'm so upset over the latest announcements, I don't know why after almost two years I expected the government to act in a coordinated, logical manner.

It just makes me so angry, restrictions are in place until February with the threat of more to come if things don't improve, it's that constant threat hanging over us, how can we enjoy anything?

We have done everything asked of us, we've got a huge vaccination uptake but it's still not enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Mother of god, everything is 95% open now, yes you have to show your covid vaccine cert and that's all you have to do, what the hell more do you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

You know what, I am sick of your catty comments on this thread (and others), it's about peoples mental health, if you've nothing to add keep moving.

Why do you feel the need to move from thread to thread can dismiss people and what they feel?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I received a positive antigen test yesterday, had my PCR this morning and have been self-isolating since yesterday. Symptoms are mild, however, my mental health has taken a pretty bad beating. My current housemate where I rent isn't in any way understanding, he said to me yesterday: "Make sure you clean surfaces after you as you don't know what you could be leaving behind." Today I found a note that out that that I should be avoiding all rooms in the house especially the kitchen. I need to eat (As he won't cook me anything and leave it outside my bedroom door) and I am extremely careful with sanitising work areas etc. Passing on Covid to anyone (if I have it) is the last thing I want to do. He makes me feel like I shouldn't even be here. I could cry right now I just feel so unwanted and alone.. Sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

God that’s hard I’m very sorry. Your house mate needs to help you in some way. If he won’t help you with food then you will have to leave your room. Even if you got food ordered in you need fridge access etc. makes more sense for him to help you. I’m sorry he isn’t helping you. I hope you get better soon and feel ok…. Could someone drop supplies to you…?

My parents have dropped off food yesterday. They even asked me if I wanted to go home to self-isolate. But I didn't want to chance passing it to them. As they are both 60. I told them that it would be safer if I stayed in my rented accommodation, so I decided to stay here. At present, I am using my own utensils and disinfecting areas when I cook etc. I think it's the best I can do given the circumstances.. I have friends that live locally that have offered to help out in any way. But they can't really help in the way I need them which would be a place to stay, I can't ask anyone for that anyway. I chat to some of my friends though and I am finding that is helping somewhat. Yeah, I was surprised by his attitude though. If the roles were reversed I would cook for him and try to help in any way I could. But no, he doesn't want to have anything to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It’s silly though as if he left food out for you you could stay in your room and it would be safer for him all round. So sorry he is adding to your stress. It’s not what you need.

Yeah that is my logic also, Thank you. I'll leave it at that. As I just realised that this thread is supposed to be for resources etc. I assumed it was somewhere you could express yourself. As I find talking helps a lot. However, it's not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Sorry to hear that about your housemate. Just put it down to bad manners and do your best to ignore.

All you can do is follow the guidance as regards self isolation. You can do no more.

Afaik, it's fine to chat on here, if it helps. Get some stuff on Netflix to distract yourself as much as possible. If you are a reader, BorrowBox is a good resource and it's free.

I understand your concern for your parents, but it might be easier self-isolating in their house, and you would feel more supported there.

Mind yourself.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Bad manners is right!

Yeah, that's exactly it! I will remain to be very careful.

Thanks for the recommendations by the way! I'll look into the borrow box app and I'm looking forward to some Netflix.

I'll definitely consider going home. You're right about the support!

Thanks very much!!

Hang In there everyone

This place can be horrible at times but remember it's only words and a screen at the end of the day. We're all here for each other and no way do we mean harm. We all agree and disagree but at the end of the day it's a way to express our views and opinions.

Go to your grave/crematorium etc feeling happy. Go out and do whatever makes you feel happy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Not to go off on a tangent but I think Netflix is bad for your mind. A lot of the shows are about serial killers, dystopias and other very dark stuff. In the past, even a decade or two ago, people did not have this steady diet of really heavy themes they were absorbing all the time.

Some scientists believe that television images implant in your mind like memories.

I boycott Netflix for psychological reasons, its bad for mental health imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

YouTube is similar in that if you watch one negative video it will keep reccomeneding you similar stuff. It's hard not to go down a negative black pill worm hole. Anytime it reccomeneds me these now I tell it not to reccomened me it.

I've cut out news completely from my life and its much better. Ignorance is bliss as they say. I only come here the odd time and I'm usually posting negative stuff I so have to check myself on that.

I really had to cut out all this stuff and just focus stuff I actually enjoy.

I honestly don't know how I would have passed the time only for Netflix. I would have been forced to sleep and look at 4 walls. Plus it's not an "only serial killer" streaming service! There are many series and movies of all genres..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yeah I know. It's just that it has A LOT of disturbing content.

But I'm not saying that everyone has to do what I'm doing, just trying to help anyone who may be exposing themselves to negative stuff and hadn't thought about cutting it out.

If its personally good for you then that's another thing. There's no one-size-fits-all solutions.

How are you all? 😊

I am so happy to finish my self-isolation tomorrow! Really looking forward to hugging both my parents tomorrow when I see them for the first time in 11 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Not doing too great now. I normally get the bus to work so was considered high risk and asked to stay at home for the time being. So I feel locked down again. I can't do everything from home that I would normally do in the office so it gets a bit tedious being at home.

All this keeps telling me is that the vaccines were only a temporary solution and that we'll need to keep boosting. I've had all sorts of thoughts lately, ranging from "will this ever end?" to "what's the point in carrying on?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm currently in a near to desperation condition.

I'm not Irish and live abroad, and in my country, despite the very good vaccine uptake compared to the EU average, most restrictions are still in place and it doesn't seem to me we're seeing the end of this. They keep moving the goalposts every week. Last summer they told us that once we had reached 80% of vaccine uptake, most restrictions, starting from the masks, would have been lifted. Well, it didn't happen, in fact they introduced more restrictions and rules, and now that things are going worse, they're thinking of something more. And now the minimum vaccine uptake has been moved to 90%, then it will 95% and eventually 100%. And even then, it won't be enough.

It's easy to understand that this thing is endless, we will go through relatively good periods, possibly in the warmer months, then through dark times again, for years to come.

I've lost interest in just everything. I had a couple of activities that were making my life bright and interesting, but I cannot do them anymore, and this is slowly killing me, to the point that nothing else catches my attention. I had a heap of things to do at home, but I keep postponing them, waiting to find the motivation to do them, and the motivation isn't showing up.

This is what some experts called it "languishing", as one of the consequences of the post covid, a mental condition that shuts all interests off.

Well, this is me at the moment, and I fear in the future as well.

Advertisement