Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    Conversely, my knees are silent and I’ve had 2 surgeries on the left

My right knee is noisier than my left and it's the left side I tore my LCL and MCL on.

So basically noisy knees are healthy knees.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was told about 12 years ago that the snap-crackle-pop noise in my right shoulder that comes and goes when I'm pressing was probably to do with cartilage, and that I should probably stop pressing overhead. Well, 12 years later, it still comes and goes, and still no pain. If the pain comes along in the next 12 years I will re-evaluate my position on overhead pressing I guess.

I feel like there's content for a thread about misdiagnoses I have been offered by physios over the years. I think the most depressing was when a chap told me I was developing osteoarthritis in my hip. I think he must read the naked scepticism in my face, he kind of awkwardly trailed off and we finished the session in polite chit chat, half-entertaining the fiction that I was going to contact him to arrange for the multiple sessions of treatment that I "urgently" needed. Still waiting for that hip osteoarthritis to kick in. Maybe I'll get it when I'm 65 and he'll be like "I told you, mother****er..".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I was told about 12 years ago that the snap-crackle-pop noise in my right shoulder that comes and goes when I'm pressing was probably to do with cartilage, and that I should probably stop pressing overhead. Well, 12 years later, it still comes and goes, and still no pain. If the pain comes along in the next 12 years I will re-evaluate my position on overhead pressing I guess.

I feel like there's content for a thread about misdiagnoses I have been offered by physios over the years. I think the most depressing was when a chap told me I was developing osteoarthritis in my hip. I think he must read the naked scepticism in my face, he kind of awkwardly trailed off and we finished the session in polite chit chat, half-entertaining the fiction that I was going to contact him to arrange for the multiple sessions of treatment that I "urgently" needed. Still waiting for that hip osteoarthritis to kick in. Maybe I'll get it when I'm 65 and he'll be like "I told you, mother****er..".

Sad how many people (myself included) have had these experiences. To the extent that “go see a physio” as advice, can sometimes do people more harm than good.

Only recently heard of one puncturing someone’s lung with a needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

One of the biggest misconceptions people have is that arthritis or wear and tear equals pain.
    It doesn't.
    As long as you keep joints mobile and strong you can avoid a lot of pain despite what is seen on imaging.
    Orthos don't offer joint replacements because of what they see on imaging its based on the amount of pain a person has.
    Noises are meaningless unless there is pain with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Sorry opened a bit of a can of worms with that question .thanks for the replies the consensus seems to be no pain no worry.
    The 20 rep suggestion for over 35's seems odd for many reasons enough that I'd have to discount it.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else finding it hard to get motivated back in the gym? I'm just not interested anymore, but I normally love going and especially lifting!

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding it hard to get motivated back in the gym? I'm just not interested anymore, but I normally love going and especially lifting!

Can't say I've found that. I did wonder if I would considering I've had to avoid squatting and deadlifting (avascular necrosis in the femoral head has left me with a lot of muscular imbalances to address) so training is very different and not really geared toward a goal of testing/competing. I thought I would struggle with that.

But I'm a creature of habit anyway so I go cos it's the day i go.

Can't say I've found that. I did wonder if I would considering I've had to avoid squatting and deadlifting (avascular necrosis in the femoral head has left me with a lot of muscular imbalances to address) so training is very different and not really geared toward a goal of testing/competing. I thought I would struggle with that.

But I'm a creature of habit anyway so I go cos it's the day i go.

So sorry to hear you've necrosis, that must be tough!! And thank you for the reply!
    Well done on keeping up the routine. Maybe I need to do the same !

So sorry to hear you've necrosis, that must be tough!! And thank you for the reply!
    Well done on keeping up the routine. Maybe I need to do the same !

It's more the APT and assymetrical hips because of it that I have to address the next while :)

Now training is just a lot more bodybuildery and I've always felt having a quantifiable goal to aim for.

But, if I just plan to go Monday, Wednesday and Friday I'll just go because without having to think about it. Might go another day at the weekend but kinda unplanned

And I've always found training/working out to be like a form of mindfulness for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Yeah not so much the gym but I'm finding it hard to get back to the routine I and pre covid , this is the lowest amount of training I've done in years . But a closer look at my life I realised things have changed I haven't got the time I had previously mostly due to kids sports and hobbies , when I get home from work it's kids training the weekends are taking up with their matches. Then I've a toddler aswell so I just have to accept the limitations to training and that some days I'll be too tired to do what I want .
    So id say look at your life if your sitting around with nothing to do and don't feel motivated then maybe get a new plan or a goal .but if your just too tired from life Maybe don't be hard on yourself .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm very motivated to go - but weirdly enough (for me at least) I've had 2 sessions now where I get to the gym, start lifting, and just have no interest or motivation to finish. This morning was the second of those sessions. I just wasn't feeling it at all, stopped mid-set and just did a bit of cardio instead and went home.

This type of things has never happened me before - now it's happened twice in the space of a week. Usually the battle for me is actually getting out bed and getting to the gym. Once I do that, the rest is (or was) never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are there any higher rep hypertrophy routines people would recommend?

On Westside for Skinny B*stards at the moment but 4 rounds in fancy a change

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

20 reps working sets. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'm very motivated to go - but weirdly enough (for me at least) I've had 2 sessions now where I get to the gym, start lifting, and just have no interest or motivation to finish. This morning was the second of those sessions. I just wasn't feeling it at all, stopped mid-set and just did a bit of cardio instead and went home.

This type of things has never happened me before - now it's happened twice in the space of a week. Usually the battle for me is actually getting out bed and getting to the gym. Once I do that, the rest is (or was) never a problem.

thats a pity alright, I find it useful to write everything down as Im doing them and tick them as done. Also I incrementally add weight to at least one set so in my head going home I can say to myself did more than then the previous session, onwards and upwards yada yada

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Finding leg day a bit weird with my rack at home.

Barbell squat
    Barbell lunges
    Barbell calf raise
    Barbell kneeling squat

Basically a bar on my back the entire routine. Are there some obvious exercises I'm missing?

Barbell squat
    Barbell lunges
    Barbell calf raise
    Barbell kneeling squat

Basically a bar on my back the entire routine. Are there some obvious exercises I'm missing?

If you have a Barbell stick it in the corner of your room and use it as a landmine, good for squats, RDLs, rows and pressing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    If you have a Barbell stick it in the corner of your room and use it as a landmine, good for squats, RDLs, rows and pressing

Oh yeah I forgot all about that. Will buy a tennis ball to cut open and cover the end of the bar before next leg day.

Oh yeah I forgot all about that. Will buy a tennis ball to cut open and cover the end of the bar before next leg day.

why have I not heard the tennis ball suggestion before? :pac: I was using a bunch of tea towels but still managed to mark the skirting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Any number of great programs out there that you can transition to. Might be worth having a read through the descriptions here and see what catches your eye https://liftvault.com/programs/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Boring But Big

https://www.jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101077382-boring-but-big

• Advertisement

Cill94 wrote: »

Yeah did that earlier in the year, might do a few rounds of it, cheers.

It's an enjoyable, simple workout

I am an absolute **** for not pushing hard enough though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

This always deserves a mention for anyone looking for a general framework that they can adapt themselves - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057311400

You could switch over to the “washed up meathead” template in WS4SB for a start.

Conjugate in general is very flexible and you could do a conjugate bodybuilding set up, but needs a bit of know-how. Louis Simmons online club has a bodybuilding track, it’s pay by the month.

After that yeah I would second the recommendation to look at Wendler 5/3/1 templates. Buy 5/3/1 Forever, has an absolute ton of programmes in there. If you want bodybuilding some of the templates with a lot of accessories are what you want.

There’s Hybrid Build, another pay by month option.

Probably some Barbell Medicine templates for hypertrophy might be of interest.

Barbell squat
    Barbell lunges
    Barbell calf raise
    Barbell kneeling squat

I presume you’re doing deadlifts, RDL?

For single leg you can do barbell step ups, barbell split squats.

To be honest, this is where a few heavy DBs and kettlebells come in handy, for variations’ sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

You could switch over to the “washed up meathead” template in WS4SB for a start.

Conjugate in general is very flexible and you could do a conjugate bodybuilding set up, but needs a bit of know-how. Louis Simmons online club has a bodybuilding track, it’s pay by the month.

After that yeah I would second the recommendation to look at Wendler 5/3/1 templates. Buy 5/3/1 Forever, has an absolute ton of programmes in there. If you want bodybuilding some of the templates with a lot of accessories are what you want.

There’s Hybrid Build, another pay by month option.

Probably some Barbell Medicine templates for hypertrophy might be of interest.

If we're including paid programmes the Stronger by Science Hypertrophy template is available for either $5/10 I forget which and comes with four or five other templates so if very good value for money and definitely fulfill's the high rep criteria.

Also if you're a sadomasochist, Deep Water is worth a look.

If we're including paid programmes the Stronger by Science Hypertrophy template is available for either $5/10 I forget which and comes with four or five other templates so if very good value for money and definitely fulfill's the high rep criteria.

Also if you're a sadomasochist, Deep Water is worth a look.

My neighbour did Deep Water, he still has nightmares.

What I’m doing right now is actually pretty bodybuilding-y.

4 day split
    Arms day
    Lower body
    Chest / triceps / shoulders
    Back / biceps

When I’m done it’s back to conjugate most likely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Had to look up deep water there

"It’s 6 weeks long, 5 days a week. 4 days in a row of lifting. Two Deep Water days with a main lower/upper body movement done for 10 sets of 10 with about 54% of your 1RM. You progress by keeping weight, sets and reps the same and reducing rest times between sets from 4 to 2 minutes."

Vom

Had to look up deep water there

"It’s 6 weeks long, 5 days a week. 4 days in a row of lifting. Two Deep Water days with a main lower/upper body movement done for 10 sets of 10 with about 54% of your 1RM. You progress by keeping weight, sets and reps the same and reducing rest times between sets from 4 to 2 minutes."

Vom

That’s Deep Water Beginner as well!

The beginner does refer to experience with Deep Water though, not experience of lifting.

That’s Deep Water Beginner as well!

The beginner does refer to experience with Deep Water though, not experience of lifting.

Deep Water appears very very interesting...

• Advertisement

Deep Water appears very very interesting...

There's a few spreadsheets floating about the internet I think and if you go to Jon Andersen's Instagram bio you can get the 90 page detailing the Deep Water philosophy and actual programmes for free

https://amp.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/9rxz7x/program_reviewjon_andersens_deep_water_beginner/

That review is what first got me interested in it but I must admit I haven't got to actually run it yet. I get very little time in which to run something of my choice at that intensity. Currently doing Building the Monolith so Deep Water probably has to wait until next summer for me.

Advertisement