Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

loughside wrote: »
    The Moderna vaccine has been offered here now,... anyone know if this is a pfizer or an AZ type?

mRNA, like Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

astrofool wrote: »
    Noted, I was trying to get details from a poster who has, frankly, been hysterically anti-AZ in the face of data to the contrary. If you are immuno-compromised, do pay attention to that study, results are expected around November.

Edit: I would also note that all content in the forum is an opinion unless backed by a study, sometimes an educated opinion, sometimes not, go and look at the conspiracy forum for the amount of running away posters do when asked to provide some evidence for their theories.

What you posted above was complete bull****.

I would advise anyone concerned about the post not to pay it the slightest heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would advise anyone concerned about the post not to pay it the slightest heed.

Luckily we have your brains to rely on:
    So those who are vaccinated with AZ are twice (8%) as likely to end up in hospital that those who received Pfizer (4%).
    This is not true.

Two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were 60% effective against symptomatic disease from the delta variant.
    Why does the UK seem to be the only western country badly affected by the Delta variant?

Is it an inherent weakness in the AstraZeneca vaccine?

This is not objective or data led posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭volchitsa

secman wrote: »
    Myself and my wife both had side effects from first dose of AZ. We have now both received the 2nd dose with absolutely no side effects at all, not even a sore arm. Night and Day difference.

That was my experience too, and it seems to be commonplace for AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

Your posts give dangerous misinformation, astrofool.
    astrofool wrote: »
    Luckily we have your brains to rely on:

This is not objective or data led posting.

Wow. This is more than a bit obsessive, astrofool.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your posts give dangerous misinformation, astrofool.

Wow. This is more than a bit obsessive, astrofool.

Incapable of interacting in a civil manner

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

What is happening with the dose interval with AZ for younger people?

I know some are registering now and being told AZ is on offer and they may receive it sooner than if they choose to wait for another vaccine. The HSE vaccine website says "You should get your second dose 4 to 12 weeks after your first dose.", but that doesn't really seem like any kind of guarantee when it will be received. I just know some younger people who are considering taking the AZ vaccine with the hope that they might be fully vaccinated sooner than waiting for another vaccine, but if they end up on a 12 week interval that might not be the case at all.

If anyone knows some more detail or experience that would be great to share

The policy as I understood it has been changed to 4 weeks interval between doses

Still having 12 weeks as even a possibility on the HSE site seems out of kilter to me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think that's still there for the second doses currently being administered (and will hopefully be finished by next week). The new interval is 4 weeks (give or take a few days).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I got AZ as a first dose the 12th May and my second dose the 9th July , eight weeks and a few days between doses. At the time they were predicting up to 16 weeks between doses. Its the same now hey are saying 4-16 weeks. I say you could lay the house that most people opting for AZ will get second dose in 4-6 weeks. However as dealing with COVID is a fluid situation the HSE are covering eventualities in case they may need to give mRNA as second shots. I would not be surprised if those hat got AZ as first shot in younger age cohort got mRNA as booster shot.

We have been here before with people predicting that we fail in January with the nslowness of he process at the start, we had it with AZ failing to deliver that we would not get enough vaccination. There was predictions hat U30's would get no vaccination before Oct/Nov.

people should stop trying to double think he process. AZ can be boosted up beyond 16 weeks HSE is just keeping its option open unless other data comes to light that may need them to change there plans. If AZ is available it up to people to make there own decision. I would not be worrying about upper limits but look at lower limits.

I got my digital Covid cert during the week

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure about the other locations, but the Malta restrictions was changed within a couple of hours of being announced and they didn't care about where it was manufactured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good for you Bass. I too followed government advice and got AZ early May and was scheduled for second dose in July... but got Covid first in early July. Unlucky of course, but if I were a little younger or a few years older, I and you would have been fully vaccinated in early/ mid June. Have several younger siblings/ cousins/ friends in 40s and 50s, all doubly vaccinated by the time Covid caught me up.

As things stand, will now have to wait to get some Covid cert based on recovery. Can't see any point in a second AZ jab. Likely all recipients of AZ will be lined up again before Christmas for an mRNA vaccine. They'll call it a booster but in reality it's what they should have done in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The CoViD cert based on recovery is only valid for 180 days. Completing the two vaccine course would give you an open ended certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I noticed that but wherein lies the sense? Is that to imply that antibodies gained from a vaccine are superior to those developed from an actual bout of the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think it's for clarity reasons and to encourage vaccination.

You could spend more time arguing your point or you could just get the second jab. Seems the way forward for me for those in your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭brickster69

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

So with the adenovirus vaccines, AstraZeneca predominantly, we've so far these side serious effects:

• Thrombocytopenia syndrome (TS) & cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST)
    • Capilary Leak Syndrome (CLS)
    • Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)

All are serious and have been added to the respective vaccine leaflets. They are recognised by the EMA (and WHO).

On CVST:

Chance clusters of rare events occur quite commonly in observations or analyses of large groups.6 Nevertheless, the balance of evidence was clearly shifting at the beginning of April. Increased reporting of CVST in the UK as well as in Europe, along with the almost total absence of cases after immunisation with Pfizer or Moderna vaccines were strong indicators that this may be a real association. That many of those affected also had thrombocytopenia, which is not normally found in CVST, was an additional pointer that this was not a random association.

It remains to be a mediocre vaccine, all in all, compared to the readily available mRNA technology vaccines.

CVST is officially recognised by the EMA and AZ as a serious side effect and is on the leaflet in black and white.

Any sort of attempt of downplaying this serious side effect is not welcome.

Thrombosis after covid-19 vaccination (bmj.com) - British Medical Journal

• Advertisement

Is it good because it confirms your bias of "UK good, EU bad"? 🤔 Or what did you want to say exactly by dumping the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's actually an interesting article, covers the whole history of it in one place.

I thought so, a very balanced article of the way things were.

All roads lead to Rome.

As is myocarditis in MRNA vaccines.

Every vaccine has side effects, hence why 5-10% of adult population will probably not take any covid vaccine, believing covid will be less severe than any vaccine.

Some might be right, most won't.

Many people who dont want a vaccine have a mistrust of government, are poorly educated and are economically disadvantaged. We have to engage with these people, not post dramatic soundbites on social media.

Nobody has died of AZ vaccine or J&J vaccine in ireland despite millions of doses given out.

Circa 7,000 people have died of covid on this island.

A child a few weeks old in NI is in ICU with covid at present.

Vaccines save lives.

AZ on island of Ireland has probably saved thousands of lives in Ireland in 2021.

Six children and young people under 19 now in NI hospitals with coronavirus - Belfast Live

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Sorry but no. Myocarditis is not that serious, it resolves spontaneously in many cases. CVST doesn't at all — it's a life threatening condition.

I see 1 moderatly serious side effect of mRNA vaccines with incidence of 1 in 1,000,000 doses (300 cases in 300M doses).

And then I see 3 very serious side effects of AZ vaccine (adenovirus vector) with incidence of 1 in 100,000, 1 in 200,000 and 1 in 250,000 respectively.

There is a HUGE difference between the two. Downplaying the AZ side effects or comparing them to mRNA is a logical fallacy (and likely a demagoguery).

19-year-old hospitalized in ICU days after getting second Pfizer vaccine - The Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)

As is blood clots. Blood clot cases in ireland but nobody has died.

Spanish clinicians dont share your social media claims.

Recent spanish study Pfzier/AZ results, both have similar elevated risk of blood clots after first doses. No risk after second.

AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine blood clot risk 'similar' to Pfizer, Spanish study finds | Euronews

All vaccines in EMA are safe and effective.

No absolutes with regards to safety and efficacy for all vaccines.

Nonsense. In black and white. 1 side effect for Pfizer vs several for AZ.

EMA Pfizer safety - 07 Public Safety Update_COMIRNATY_14 July 2021 (europa.eu)

EMA AZ safety - 06 Public Safety Update_VAXZEVRIA_14 July 2021 (europa.eu)

The risk of side effects with AZ is an order of magnitude higher and there are multiple associations already registered and added to the leaflet.

Yes, the vaccine is generally safe but mRNA is an order of magnitude safer.

"the vaccine is generally safe". I will take that😉

• Advertisement

As 6 million AZ doses sitting in fridges in Germany. Bundestag President Wolfgang Schauble said: "I cannot understand the lack of willingness to get vaccinated, that makes me extremely sad."

They are now giving Pfizer as a second dose following AZ first dose and the young people won't touch it because of the blood clot issue which is ironically the exact same issue that Pfizer has.

All roads lead to Rome.

Advertisement