Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m 35 and got my 1st AZ dose 16+ weeks ago. I’ve rung HSE Live 3 times and explained I’m not comfortable receiving a 2nd dose of AZ (reports of blood clots only emerged after I got my first dose), yet I keep being offered AZ. I did ask them to stop offering me appointments, yet they keep coming. I understand the HSE’s stance is if you had one AZ, you should take a second. But a chance of death for 1 in 250,000 for people in their 30s doesn’t sit well with me. I’m really careful taking precautions outside of my household. I can’t get over the latest recommendations for over 18s to be given AZ.

Are there many others like me who have refused a 2nd dose? I’m happy to continue to put my social life on hold until I’m offered an alternative vaccine. Hard to tell what the future will bring…. It’s really stressing me out!

Does anyone have a link to the latest AZ clot stats for Ireland? I read in this thread that the Irish Independent reported less than 5 AZ related clots and no deaths on 29/05/21.

I was told by my consultant not to take my second jab as it affected my existing medical condition when I took the first one. So I just keep postponing it.

fin12 wrote: »
    I was told by my consultant not to take my second jab as it affected my existing medical condition when I took the first one. So I just keep postponing it.

Fair enough.

Common sense.

Taking on board medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Motor vehicle 1/107 Pedestrian 1/543 Choking on food 1/2,535 Sunstroke 1/8,248 Dog attack 1/8,6781 Lightning 1/138,849

Nonsense. These are cumulative life time incidences.

You take the Covid vaccine once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Wolf359f wrote:
    The incidence rate after the second jab for 18-49 year olds is 0.8 per million, with a fatality rate in 30-39 year olds of ~22%, so that would be a 1 in 5.68 million chance of death?

I don't trust current HMG figures, especially in relation to this very much politicised vaccine. It's been used by the Johnsonist regime as a propaganda tool to show "benefits of Brexit" (of course a lie and nonsense).

EMA estimates the CVST incidence at 1 in 200,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

McGiver wrote: »
    I don't trust current HMG figures, especially in relation to this very much politicised vaccine. It's been used by the Johnsonist regime as a propaganda tool to show "benefits of Brexit" (of course a lie and nonsense).

EMA estimates the CVST incidence at 1 in 200,000.

I haven't seen a breakdown of the 2nd dose rate by the EMA, would you have a link, I'm curious what breakdowns they have for age/sex etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

For two weeks after my first AZ dose some of my fingers often (though not all the time) felt like they were tingling / numb. I’ve never experienced this before. I saw online that at least one other person experienced this after the AZ vaccine, however it’s not listed as a side effect. My GP wasn’t concerned. I reported it to the HPRA . It’s part of the reason I’m hesitant to get a 2nd dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I got my first injection towards the end of April I am going back for my second on the 4th July. About a month ago I began to experience a soreness in my muscle where i got injected. also i have pins and needles in my fingers these symptoms come and go during the day all very strange.

I got my first injection towards the end of April I am going back for my second on the 4th July. About a month ago I began to experience a soreness in my muscle where i got injected. also i have pins and needles in my fingers these symptoms come and go during the day all very strange.

I got my second last week.

first in mid april.

I have pains in both upper arms all the time ever since first dose.

Sore when I touch them or rotate arms.

Pain irritation 1 out of 10.

Just strange.

Why would the arm that wasnt injected at all be still sore.

Worse after 2nd jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

1/250000 scares you

Risk of dying from

Motor vehicle 1/107
    Pedestrian 1/543
    Choking on food 1/2,535
    Sunstroke 1/8,248
    Dog attack 1/8,6781
    Lightning 1/138,849

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

I think you'll be OK:rolleyes:

What kind of dodgy stats comparison is happening here :pac:

These are lifetime odds. They have no relevance towards a single jab shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Woody79 wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Common sense.

Taking on board medical advice.

But therein lies a significant issue - doctors differ and patients die etc. There are multiple views out there on these matters from experts in their various fields. As regards mixing vaccines, this is deemed safe in other countries. One suspects that the reason we are dragging our feet on it is not to do with safety reviews, but a blunt HSE policy as to how they will allocate vaccines.

• Advertisement

I got my second last week.

first in mid april.

I have pains in both upper arms all the time ever since first dose.

Sore when I touch them or rotate arms.

Pain irritation 1 out of 10.

Just strange.

Why would the arm that wasnt injected at all be still sore.

Worse after 2nd jab.

First AZ in early May - awaiting second AZ or alternative. No particular symptoms like that, just felt illish for a day or so after the first dose. What you report doesn't sound great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Furze99 wrote: »
    First AZ in early May - awaiting second AZ or alternative. No particular symptoms like that, just felt illish for a day or so after the first dose. What you report doesn't sound great.

I was bad for 12 hours with dose one of Astra Zeneca, dose two and had zero symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Close friend has refused the second jab and awaiting a letter from her consultant to recommend she get an alternative. MVC told them if they get a letter they’ll get a mRNA.

Our must vulnerable should not be lamped with a second class vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Close friend has refused the second jab and awaiting a letter from her consultant to recommend she get an alternative. MVC told them if they get a letter they’ll get a mRNA.

Our must vulnerable should not be lamped with a second class vaccine.

Why would you class AZ as a second class vaccine????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lol my postman said hes 30 and getting de filth as he calls az.
    he wants sputnik as putin would not harm his fighting men lol

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭topdecko

I have fielded calls from multiple people who have had extreme reactions to first dose AZ and under no circumstances will they take second dose of AZ. whilst the incidence of CVST and other clotting disorders is of the order of 1/200,000 i would suspect significant reactions and exaggerated immune response are many times higher.
    Other european countries are mixing and matching vaccines and we will here at some point. The volte face on the AZ vaccine has to be explained to the youth and that it is not ideal but a pragmatic response to emergence of this new variant. Very conflicting advice coming from NIAC at times.

topdecko wrote: »
    I have fielded calls from multiple people who have had extreme reactions to first dose AZ and under no circumstances will they take second dose of AZ. whilst the incidence of CVST and other clotting disorders is of the order of 1/200,000 i would suspect significant reactions and exaggerated immune response are many times higher.
    Other european countries are mixing and matching vaccines and we will here at some point. The volte face on the AZ vaccine has to be explained to the youth and that it is not ideal but a pragmatic response to emergence of this new variant. Very conflicting advice coming from NIAC at times.

Very mixed messages alright, let's hope for all sakes that this rigid policy of 'no choice' doesn't come back to haunt the Irish taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Furze99 wrote: »
    But therein lies a significant issue - doctors differ and patients die etc. There are multiple views out there on these matters from experts in their various fields. As regards mixing vaccines, this is deemed safe in other countries. One suspects that the reason we are dragging our feet on it is not to do with safety reviews, but a blunt HSE policy as to how they will allocate vaccines.

It’s very simple they have loads of AstraZeneca and want to put it into anyone they can , if u nearly died after taking the first jab they are still now offering u the 2nd dose. They don’t give a ****. That happened to a woman up the country .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I was as sick as a small hospital after both jabs.
    I inject immunosuppressing medicine fortnightly so I don't know if that made a difference.

topdecko wrote: »

Probably had covid before...

They should be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Up to 23 June 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 395 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. Thirty four of the 395 reports have been reported after a second dose.

Of the 395 reports, 206 occurred in women, and 186 occurred in men aged from 18 to 93 years.

The overall case fatality rate was 18% with 70 deaths, five of which occurred after the second dose.
    The estimated number of first doses of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca administered in the UK by 23 June was 24.5 million and the estimated number of second doses was 20.7 million.

The overall incidence after first or unknown doses was 14.7 per million doses.
    The overall incidence after second doses was 1.6 per million doses.
    there is a significantly lower incidence after the second dose compared to the first, and there is overall no indication of an increased risk of these events after the second dose in any age group. Anyone who did not have these side effects should come forward for their second dose when invited.
    On the basis of this ongoing review, the advice remains that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks in the majority of people.

For balance: one blood clot related death was reported to be linked to Pfizer
    Up to 23 June 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 12 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following use of the COVID-19 Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. These events occurred in 5 women, and 7 men aged from 31 to 91 years, and the overall case fatality rate was 8% with one death reported.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭brickster69

There is now an Indian variant (ha) of this vaccine and it’s not approved for Eu green pass which will cause confusion for 5million uk people potentially

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/eu-vaccine-passport-excludes-5m-britons-given-indian-made-astrazeneca/

Great news, even more money going into the UK hospitality sector this year.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Great news, even more money going into the UK hospitality sector this year.

Also looks like India is ready to hit back by insisting EU green vaccine card holders still have to quarantine.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Also looks like India is ready to hit back by insisting EU green vaccine card holders still have to quarantine.

Couldn't make it up. Like headless chicken. Next thing you know there will be another bailout needed

All roads lead to Rome.

Not encountering as many drunk, loud and rude British tourists does sound like great news

Why do you think they are drunk, loud and rude. Because they have given so much money to the bar owners and hoteliers :pac::pac:

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is now an Indian variant (ha) of this vaccine and it’s not approved for Eu green pass which will cause confusion for 5million uk people potentially

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/eu-vaccine-passport-excludes-5m-britons-given-indian-made-astrazeneca/

How is that even a story? They will apply for the vaccine to be on the list and it will be approved and everybody will move on (afaik SII is already on the approved manufacturer list for EU vaccines).

Though it's still bad that their vaccine "success" was partially built on sneaking vaccines from part of their old empire while India itself went without.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not encountering as many drunk, loud and rude British tourists does sound like great
    I thought it was lack of education and a society built on not respecting others
    Telegraph trying to spin it as big bad EU not recognising a vaccine variant which was not even submitted for approval. The usual “they out to punish us” nonsense.

IMHO it’s an example of how bugger thy neighbour Brexit/Trumpian far right politics which now is how UK rolls is causing problems and not helping towards resolving issues caused by Covid. And yet another chapter in this particular vaccine’s saga.

Jaysus that's a massive chip you have on your shoulders.

Jaysus that's a massive chip you have on your shoulders.

Weird isn't it. The only thing that would make him smile is if he saw hundreds of dying brits every day on the news.

All roads lead to Rome.

Are you talking about Boris “let the bodies pile up” Johnson again?

Not good that one, that but let's keep it on the subject to hand. How about

Wasting 3 months on haggling contracts with AZ
    Only committing to purchase as long as it was approved
    8% effective
    Quassi effective
    No good for over 65's
    Only good for under 65's
    Armed forces raiding factories because the Brits are stealing them
    No good for under 40's
    Good for under 40's
    Millions of doses sat in fridges because populations hesitant

And now they wonder why they have not double jabbed enough as Delta appears, they only started talks last June

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Most reasonable people know this vaccine will save hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives.

You'd swear people are being injected with poison and not life saving vaccine.

Do pzfier have to apologise for myocarditis with teenagers ending up in ICU or asprin for upset stomach or bleeding on the brain?

Very immature and childish post.

+1

And that is being nice.

Advertisement