Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    IMO that series suffered a little from over exposure, with a bunch of sequels, plus a TV show, all diluting the message and magic of the first film. Tis the risk of successful cartoons I suppose, they seem easier to grind out follow-ups.

True, but I stick to the films and although I haven't watched the 3rd one yet, the 1st one still feels special to me. I think it does an incredible job of exploring empathy and kindness and the idea of being yourself and questioning the status quo, and it does it without the emotional manipulation Pixar films are doused in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Not for everyone.....its gritty, slow, predictable but for anyone who's a fan of Ken Loach movies ( I, Daniel Blake etc.)there is a new one on Netflix called " sorry we missed you" about a down at heel courier driver trying to do the best he can but never catching any sort of break. Well acted & very true to life. I enjoyed it but, as I say, this genre isn't to everyones taste

Very good movie, pretty bleak as expected but felt they could have ended it a bit better, it was neither here nor there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Has anyone ever seen ‘Hell Night’. It scared the fanny off me when I was a kid. Would like to watch it again now but it’s never on tv, and not on Netflix or AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

spuddy90 wrote: »
    The serpant is a very good watch..

Seems good so far, but some of the acting is awful, especially the main character

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's based on a book series, like Goosebumps but for an older audience. I guess I'm more intrigued as to whether the release schedule combined with the hype Netflix are trying to drum up (there's a pop up video store around the corner from my office) and the supposed quality of the movies (relative to Netflix's usual quality) will snowball and lead to a large audience tuning in for the third installment the weekend after next.

Having the third installment set in 1666 somewhat reminds me of Ginger Snaps III, a series I have a soft spot for.

I watched the first one tonight and it was actually quite enjoyable. Definitely more teen slasher vibes than actual horror, I think. And it turns out they are actually connected, so now I'm going to have to watch the next ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I watched the first one tonight and it was actually quite enjoyable. Definitely more teen slasher vibes than actual horror, I think. And it turns out they are actually connected, so now I'm going to have to watch the next ones.

Watched it last night, looking forward to the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Finding Black Summer hard going. Not something you could binge watch. Lot slower than Walking dead or even Z Nation when it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

We the People season 1
    Combining music and animation to educate a new generation of young Americans about the power of the people, We the People is a series of 10 animated music videos that covers a range of basic US civics in not-so-basic ways. Set to original songs performed by artists such as HER, Janelle Monáe, Brandi Carlile, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Adam Lambert, Cordae, Bebe Rexha, KYLE, Andra Day, and poet Amanda Gorman, with a groundbreaking mix of animated styles — each episode of We the People is an exuberant call to action for everyone to rethink civics as a living, breathing thing and to reframe their understanding of what government and citizenship mean in a modern world.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started watching Sweet Home but it started playing Episode 2 instead of 1 for some reason. The way it started seemed like it could be the first episode but the next couple scenes felt wrong so checked.
    Does this happen anyone else here with playing the wrong episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Started watching Sweet Home but it started playing Episode 2 instead of 1 for some reason. The way it started seemed like it could be the first episode but the next couple scenes felt wrong so checked.
    Does this happen anyone else here with playing the wrong episode?

I have had something like that happen a couple of times over the last 12 months - it is as though the app thinks an episode is fully watched and tries to get to the next.

Sometimes the previous episode is partially watched but other times it isn’t. Check the viewing history for Sweet Home - episode one may have been started accidentally and stopped quickly. It is the only explanation I have been able to come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah think I started it for a couple seconds before, before changing my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Wossack

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Gave Overlord a watch last night and was surprised at how good it was. Less you know going in the better probably.

It's leaving on the 10th so if you were planning on watching it now's the time.

Thanks for recommendation, thought it was pretty good myself. From its name I was sure I’d seen it before, but I’d it mixed up with the Tom Cruise Hitler assassination plot one (Valkyrie). So thanks for making me check again :o

Watched Somos. It’s good but slowly paced. Not a huge amount of action it it until the final episode, which is particularly vicious and heartbreaking. Hard to believe all this happened as recent as 2011.

Watched Somos. It’s good but slowly paced. Not a huge amount of action it it until the final episode, which is particularly vicious and heartbreaking. Hard to believe all this happened as recent as 2011.

I read that Netflix renewed Narcos Mexico for a third season but the shows info page doesn’t have the “it’s official another season is coming” that other shows have.

Is this just because a filming is a long way off at the moment?

I read that Netflix renewed Narcos Mexico for a third season but the shows info page doesn’t have the “it’s official another season is coming” that other shows have.

Is this just because a filming is a long way off at the moment?

No shooting started on it yet anyway. I’ve been a bit disappointed with the 2 Mexico seasons so far. But I guess it was about the origins of drugs trafficking and the story of the dea lad who was killed and the godfather of Mexican drugs, so hopefully it will keep going to tell the story of El Chapo, the violence of Juarez in the 2000s and more about the zetas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,904 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Starting watching Giri Haji couple of weeks ago, and to be honest it's tough to finish.

I kinda lost interest around episode 4, and stuck with it cos I was half way through.

Last episode tonight but I nearly gave up before penultimate one. Just not doing it for me. Too bloated and drawn out. So many shows these days need a good editor.

Midsommar
    A grieving woman accompanies her boyfriend and his grad-school colleagues to a remote Swedish village that isn't the idyllic commune it appears to be.

Split
    A man with multiple identities abducts three teenage girls, who must find a way to escape before his newest, most dangerous personality takes over.

added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Split is probably Shyamalan's best film since those early days of hype; it was a film where his eccentricities worked for the feature, not against it. A total piece of borderline exploitation trash that made me think Shyamalan might have finally found comfort at his level - then píssed it all away with that awful follow-up, Glass. Saw a trailer for his new feature, "Old" and it looks like Split was ultimately the exception that proves the rule.

And midsommar is arriving on Monday.

I read that the director’s cut is the better version.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I read that the director’s cut is the better version.
    There's a Director's Cut? While decent, I thought it overstayed it's welcome slightly at touching 2.5 hours.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    There's a Director's Cut? While decent, I thought it overstayed it's welcome slightly at touching 2.5 hours.

An extra 30 minutes or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Watched Fatherhood last night. Kevin Hart plays a widowed father of a new born baby girl. Nice enough watch, a little on the schmaltzy side and predictable as one would expect but Hart was likeable and the supporting cast were good. Not one I'd ever revisit but enjoyable nonetheless.

Would rather gouge my eyes out.

Sam Hain wrote: »

You could also try my way of just not watching it as there is no situation that could possibly arise where you would in a situation where those are two options.

Well if that is all it takes to break you I don’t want to be around you during the Zombie Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭budgemook

I watched Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw over the weekend - I never really do this but I ended up watching it over 2 nights as it's a bit too long for this type of movie. It is what it is I suppose - they have moved fully into the superhero realm at this stage with the 2 leads having Captain America type strength and the villain basically being a version of Dr. Octopus or some other lab created maniac. The story is a familiar one - a deadly virus threatens to wipe out most of humankind so two former enemies must put aside their differences to save the world :rolleyes: The Rock and Jason Statham have plenty of charisma and work well together in this buddy film but overall it's a pretty forgettable, paint by numbers, brain-dead action/comedy movie. 4/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Sam Hain wrote: »

I absolutely hate comments like this. You clearly wouldn't do this so why bother posting it?

To keep the discussion on topic, the movie in question was decent, not going to win any awards but was OK to pass a quiet evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

How to Train Your Dragon is one of mt favourite filma. It's a million times better than any of the Disney/Pixar films, and I'm still angry it didn't win best score at the Oscars.

I love the how to train your dragon films so much. They are gorgeous . I often listen to the sound tracks especially if I’m doing lots of housework.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Seems good so far, but some of the acting is awful, especially the main character

Interesting.

That was the lead in the incredible film " A Prophet" back in the day.

I thought he carried it.:p

The love interest is a pretty mediocre actress but obviously the BBC have decided that they want her to be a big star.

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson Season 2
    There is no such thing as an ordinary interaction in this offbeat sketch comedy series that features a deep roster of guest stars.

Born to Be Wild Season 1
    Survivalist Andrew Ucles explores the jungles, rivers and plains of three continents with the residents who knows them best: the local animals.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

peteeeed wrote: »
    I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson Season 2
    Loved the first season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Have to say I didn't notice that. Thoroughly enjoyed the Serpent from start to finish.

Advertisement