Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Finiahed S2 of Ragnarok and missing it already. Desperate for something new, we did 2 episodes of The Alienist last night and its very grim. Don't know if I'll stick with it. Is there a shortage of good drama on Netflix at the moment?

• Finished "The Innocent". Wow, that was good. So many twists, and blood ...
    But the main guy Is such a bad actor. He could be saying I love you / I hate you / I'm going to the shops in the same flat way.
    He sounds better dubbed than in the Spanish original :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't actually watched Akira in at least 15 years by my reckoning; time for another go. Should be an interesting experience, watching it an older (wiser???) head compared to the handsome, dashing youth I was fadó :pac:
    Watched it tonight after many many years. And yes, my memories of it were "that's some mess".
    Now it makes some sense.

• I haven’t seen The Mist. I’ll put it in the Halloween watchlist.

I did start the tv series version but don’t get past the first episode - the actors were lifeless.

Watch the Black and white version of the mist, far better. Some of the cgi isn't great in colour but looks much realer in b & w.

• S.M.B. wrote: »
    I have no interest in horror these days but I am curious about the whole Fear Night Trilogy concept. It seems like a real good idea and apparently is quite good so if successful could really set a template for future projects.

What is the concept? I've seen people talking about this for ages, and I know there's 3 of them, set in different years, but are they based on something, or is there a link between all 3, or what's the story??

• Advertisement

• What is the concept? I've seen people talking about this for ages, and I know there's 3 of them, set in different years, but are they based on something, or is there a link between all 3, or what's the story??

Also interested in this
    Almost watched the first one tonight but ended up watching 1st episode of the Murder in Cork thing
    Not sure I’ll bother with the last two

• What is the concept? I've seen people talking about this for ages, and I know there's 3 of them, set in different years, but are they based on something, or is there a link between all 3, or what's the story??
    It's based on a book series, like Goosebumps but for an older audience. I guess I'm more intrigued as to whether the release schedule combined with the hype Netflix are trying to drum up (there's a pop up video store around the corner from my office) and the supposed quality of the movies (relative to Netflix's usual quality) will snowball and lead to a large audience tuning in for the third installment the weekend after next.

Having the third installment set in 1666 somewhat reminds me of Ginger Snaps III, a series I have a soft spot for.

• I'm not sure how I missed Assault on Precinct 13 2005 back when first released.
    Cracker of a movie with a great cast and Fishburne plays such a cool badass, I must checkout the original.

I also started The Serpent and it looks promising.

• I’m very excited to see ‘The Talented Mr. Ripley’ added. Guys, I avoided this film when it came out in the cinema originally because it was unbelievably hyped and hype really puts me off.

I watched it for the first time last year and it is so unbelievably good. So many actors at the top of their game: Seymour Hoffman, Damon, Law, Blanchett. Even Gywneth Paltrow is very good. Plus the minors players are all top notch too. The film has really stayed with me. Seriously, watch it.

1999 was a very good year for film indeed.

• Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I missed Assault on Precinct 13 2005 back when first released.
    Cracker of a movie with a great cast and Fishburne plays such a cool badass, I must checkout the original.

I also started The Serpent and it looks promising.
    The original pisses all over the remake.

Original has so much character that the remake lacks(Yea I know, not a remake as such as a reimagine)
    It couldn't clean The Originals boots

Edit:it's on amazon prime if you have it. :)

• Advertisement

• Watched Fatherhood last night. Kevin Hart plays a widowed father of a new born baby girl. Nice enough watch, a little on the schmaltzy side and predictable as one would expect but Hart was likeable and the supporting cast were good. Not one I'd ever revisit but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Go with the classics but I dunno how many (if any) are on NF so may be of no help whatsoever. :o

Halloween (78)
    Friday the 13th (81)
    Pieces (82)
    Maniac (80)
    Maniac (2012) - really enjoyable remake
    Prom Night (80)
    House on Sorority Row (83)
    My Bloody Valentine (81)
    The Prowler (81)
    Sleepaway Camp (83)
    Tenebrae (82)
    The Burning (81)
    Deep Red (75)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74)
    Black Christmas (74)

a few more not on that list

evil dead
    the exorcist
    nightmare on elm street

• a few more not on that list

evil dead
    the exorcist
    nightmare on elm street

They aren't slashers though, well, Elm St is, but it's not the traditional kind of slasher.

• How to Train Your Dragon
    As the son of a Viking leader, shy Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III faces a rite of passage: He must kill a dragon to prove his warrior mettle.

added

• Gave Overlord a watch last night and was surprised at how good it was. Less you know going in the better probably.

It's leaving on the 10th so if you were planning on watching it now's the time.

• peteeeed wrote: »
    How to Train Your Dragon
    As the son of a Viking leader, shy Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III faces a rite of passage: He must kill a dragon to prove his warrior mettle.

added

How to Train Your Dragon is one of mt favourite filma. It's a million times better than any of the Disney/Pixar films, and I'm still angry it didn't win best score at the Oscars.

• How to Train Your Dragon is one of mt favourite filma. It's a million times better than any of the Disney/Pixar films, and I'm still angry it didn't win best score at the Oscars.

IMO that series suffered a little from over exposure, with a bunch of sequels, plus a TV show, all diluting the message and magic of the first film. Tis the risk of successful cartoons I suppose, they seem easier to grind out follow-ups.

• pixelburp wrote: »
    IMO that series suffered a little from over exposure, with a bunch of sequels, plus a TV show, all diluting the message and magic of the first film. Tis the risk of successful cartoons I suppose, they seem easier to grind out follow-ups.

True, but I stick to the films and although I haven't watched the 3rd one yet, the 1st one still feels special to me. I think it does an incredible job of exploring empathy and kindness and the idea of being yourself and questioning the status quo, and it does it without the emotional manipulation Pixar films are doused in.

• Not for everyone.....its gritty, slow, predictable but for anyone who's a fan of Ken Loach movies ( I, Daniel Blake etc.)there is a new one on Netflix called " sorry we missed you" about a down at heel courier driver trying to do the best he can but never catching any sort of break. Well acted & very true to life. I enjoyed it but, as I say, this genre isn't to everyones taste

Very good movie, pretty bleak as expected but felt they could have ended it a bit better, it was neither here nor there

• Has anyone ever seen ‘Hell Night’. It scared the fanny off me when I was a kid. Would like to watch it again now but it’s never on tv, and not on Netflix or AP.

• Advertisement

• spuddy90 wrote: »
    The serpant is a very good watch..

Seems good so far, but some of the acting is awful, especially the main character

• S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's based on a book series, like Goosebumps but for an older audience. I guess I'm more intrigued as to whether the release schedule combined with the hype Netflix are trying to drum up (there's a pop up video store around the corner from my office) and the supposed quality of the movies (relative to Netflix's usual quality) will snowball and lead to a large audience tuning in for the third installment the weekend after next.

Having the third installment set in 1666 somewhat reminds me of Ginger Snaps III, a series I have a soft spot for.

I watched the first one tonight and it was actually quite enjoyable. Definitely more teen slasher vibes than actual horror, I think. And it turns out they are actually connected, so now I'm going to have to watch the next ones.

• I watched the first one tonight and it was actually quite enjoyable. Definitely more teen slasher vibes than actual horror, I think. And it turns out they are actually connected, so now I'm going to have to watch the next ones.

Watched it last night, looking forward to the next one

• Finding Black Summer hard going. Not something you could binge watch. Lot slower than Walking dead or even Z Nation when it started.

• We the People season 1
    Combining music and animation to educate a new generation of young Americans about the power of the people, We the People is a series of 10 animated music videos that covers a range of basic US civics in not-so-basic ways. Set to original songs performed by artists such as HER, Janelle Monáe, Brandi Carlile, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Adam Lambert, Cordae, Bebe Rexha, KYLE, Andra Day, and poet Amanda Gorman, with a groundbreaking mix of animated styles — each episode of We the People is an exuberant call to action for everyone to rethink civics as a living, breathing thing and to reframe their understanding of what government and citizenship mean in a modern world.

added

• Started watching Sweet Home but it started playing Episode 2 instead of 1 for some reason. The way it started seemed like it could be the first episode but the next couple scenes felt wrong so checked.
    Does this happen anyone else here with playing the wrong episode?

• CastorTroy wrote: »
    Started watching Sweet Home but it started playing Episode 2 instead of 1 for some reason. The way it started seemed like it could be the first episode but the next couple scenes felt wrong so checked.
    Does this happen anyone else here with playing the wrong episode?

I have had something like that happen a couple of times over the last 12 months - it is as though the app thinks an episode is fully watched and tries to get to the next.

Sometimes the previous episode is partially watched but other times it isn’t. Check the viewing history for Sweet Home - episode one may have been started accidentally and stopped quickly. It is the only explanation I have been able to come up with.

• Yeah think I started it for a couple seconds before, before changing my mind

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Gave Overlord a watch last night and was surprised at how good it was. Less you know going in the better probably.

It's leaving on the 10th so if you were planning on watching it now's the time.

Thanks for recommendation, thought it was pretty good myself. From its name I was sure I’d seen it before, but I’d it mixed up with the Tom Cruise Hitler assassination plot one (Valkyrie). So thanks for making me check again :o

• Advertisement

• Watched Somos. It’s good but slowly paced. Not a huge amount of action it it until the final episode, which is particularly vicious and heartbreaking. Hard to believe all this happened as recent as 2011.

Advertisement