Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

All I can say is.. it was interesting for a couple of seasons but the signs were still there early on and I should've paid more attention to them.

I wish I had never started it;) One episode a week on I think a Monday night on network/rte 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

That reminds me - I must watch Lindelof's The Leftovers and Watchmen again some time soon.

I suppose you're right to a certain extent, I think I've only watched The Wire, Sopranos, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking bad, Love Hate and a few UK mini series a 2nd time.

But do Gloom there a solid and give your honest opinion about Lost.

That post was in reply to Johnny U:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,742 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lost is good fun - followed it studiously when it was broadcast, stayed up til the wee hours to watch the finale live. It’s silly, full of filler, and the answers rarely live up to the mystery, but it was a phenomenon for a reason. It’s a wild ride. But it’s been 15 years so I can’t provide too much in depth opinion about its in and outs. No idea how much better or worse it plays as a binge watch, as opposed to those of us who waited anxiously for episodes every week and between seasons.

Watchmen is great tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

One thing I can say with some confidence is that Lost started better, stayed better and finished better than Sons of Anarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

For lovers of long form tv, and those of us who have never taken to David Lynch, Lost rather than Twin Peaks was seminal in the ‘puzzle box’ style of hooking and maintaining interest. I binge-watched Lost in between seasons 2 and 3 of The Leftovers, on the strength of knowing it shared the same writer of a such a quasi-seminal show - fully aware of the caveats of its marmite attraction and dodgy/corny unsatisfactory ending. The overall length of Lost is off-putting as a major time investment, as well as its known caveats, but for lovers of the ‘puzzle box’ style, I’d recommend a binge-watch if you’re on a sickie, or even if you don’t mind binge-watching on a dipping in and out schedule.

Also of note is the fact that at the time of airing in 2004, the debut episode was the one of the most expensive television episodes ever produced. 20 years on, it’s been surpassed obviously, but it made a big splash (pun intended) at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tried watching Breaking Bad a second time. It was like a different show.

In other news, the four seasons of Brassic have just landed. They’re branded as a Sky series which is a first I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

If they start getting some of the Sky Comedy shows there will be some gold. Brassic and a few more british produced comedys are brilliant. I always thought it was a pity many people missed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Stuck it out with Lost, even though it progressively got worse as it went on. A lot of unanswered questions from Season 1 & 2. As for SOA, as soon as they went to Ireland I binned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭appledrop

Really enjoyed Tickets to Paradise, George Clooney and Julia Roberts have great chemistry, they always had.

Julia Roberts looks amazing, unlike the rest of Hollywood she still looks like herself just a bit older. Should be a lesson to those who have wrecked their faces with plastic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

The Union

Don't bother. Really, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Long Game.

One of the most cliched movies I have seen in a long time with all the usual underdog movie tropes you can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭jj880

The Ice Cream Wars

Really good true crime from 1980s Glasgow. I have a friend who moved here from Glasgow when he was 8 in 1988. He still talks about Tam McGraw and how violent it was in the schemes. A tragic story also but a great watch. 2 x 1 hour episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Agreed on Julia Roberts she looks fantastic, she also picks some interesting stuff too, homecoming on prime is well worth a watch.

True crime again! Shocking I know.

Worst Ex Ever. Much better than Worst Roommate Ever. When love goes bad some people cant move on. Worse than that they try to murder or ruin their ex. Lunatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭sojustrutz

Few bits and bobs I've watched recently that I've enjoyed.

Skywalkers: A love story : Was a bit unsure of going into this as the title put me off (the love story part anyways) . Ended up really enjoying it. A documentary that focuses on 2 'rooftoppers' who scale buildings, skyscrapers, cranes etc all over the world, culminating in an attempt to free climb the worlds largest skyscraper in Malaysia. Some amazing stunts, scenery and I found myself becoming really invested in the two protagonists. Fans of the 'Deepest Breath' will probably enjoy this. 8/10

The Pledge : Directed by Sean Penn and starring Jack Nicholson, who gives an amazing performance. Approaching his retirement, a detective promises the family of an 8 year old girl that he will find her murderer. A very engrossing thriller with great performances all round. Highley recommended 9/10

Leave No Trace : A father, suffering from PTSD , and daughter live off the grid in a forest park. Things go awry when social services get tipped off and attempt to reintegrate them into normal society. A very nuanced , emotional character piece that really had me me invested and great performances from the two leads. Another strong recommendation from me 9/10.

Demolition Man : Loved this movie as a kid, it hasn't aged very well but its still a lot of fun despite being a bit cringey at times. All in all a very entertaining , turn your brain off, sci fi / action film with a good dynamic between Stallone and Snipes. Would love to know how the three sea shells are supposed to work. 8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,900 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kaos feels like the most promising Netflix show I've seen in a while.. great premise, cast, soundtrack etc.

From the creator of the excellent "The End of the F...ing World" too.

• Advertisement

Leave no trace is an absolute gem deserved a tonne more of awards recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,487 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Vault, reasonable heist yarn starring Liam Cunningham.

If you are going to watch it turn on subtitles as some bellend/bellendess has decided not to hard code them in for when there's Spanish spoken that is integral to understanding what's going on.

Watched it last night. Excellent movie. Had to see how it ended. Great performance from Thomasin McKenzie.

She is terrific in it isn't she as is Ben Foster (always very watchable).

Making some really interesting TV and film choices too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Ben foster is great in hell or high water, brilliant movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

don’t do it to yourself

Zero pay off

It got absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve rewatched The Wire once , the Sopranos and Breaking bad twice (and will do again once the teenager is old enough) and have finished season 2 of Xfiles on rewatch

I would not rewatch one minute of Lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭enricoh

Watched James blunt (the singer) documentary. Not a fan, just picked it at random. Glad I did- a fella living his best life, recommended

He doesn't seem to take himself serious to be fair, very funny on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thanks for the tip on this. I watched it last night. Entertaining heist movie. I liked it. It's silly, but I generally don't get too much into plotholes in movies. Unless it's something completely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, this is fantastic!

So refreshingly different and fun.

• Advertisement

Only watched the first one...riveting if a bit of an upsetting watch for some I would say alright, very brave women speaking about their experiences. It takes a bit of getting used to when it comes to the little animated parts.

Yeah the animated stuff is a bit naff but its worth sticking with it. Ep 2 and 3 are even crazier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Finished Turning Point: The Bomb and The Cold War last night, absolutely brilliant documentary from the start of the Cold War until present day. Coming in at nearly 10 hours spread over 9 episodes it is a fair time commitment but well worth it.

This is excellent. No waffle. Engrossing. Half way through it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kaos is **** fantastic, some very very disturbing scenes very intelligent jokes and it will make you loath the leading character.

TMI see if you can spot the Game of Thrones actor although you might need an eagle eye to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

+1 for this, thought it was a very very good documentary.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,260 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trust your ears not your eyes and the Game of Thrones connection is apparent :)

Similarly to spot the 2 Irish actors in the cast.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Headsup Jeremy Saulnier's new movie Rebel Ridge is on Netflix as of today. If you liked Blue Ruin/Green Room then worth checking it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

It's excellent.…to me that's possibly the first really decent proper "netflix film" I've watched.…..

Shite name is my only criticism...

I'm not saying ...I didn't enjoy some of the other ones.…but theyre filler, this is an excellent film

Great cast, great performances for the most part,

...really solid 8.5-9/10

Post edited by amacca on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

to be honest… I thought it was ‘meh’! No Extraction/ Bourne/ Taken …..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’ve noticed a lot of hate about lost on this thread. I’ve almost completed the six seasons again. I binged the series back in 2010 around the time of the finale. Stupidly interesting, mysterious, character driven series that I throughly enjoyed (both times) . Hard to believe the series started 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,487 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a long long watch, they could have cut 40 minutes off it and it would have been far more enjoyable watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

I wouldn't think extraction was a patch on it

But its definitely not in the same league as Bourne....but to me it's quite a different kind of film.....it might share some elements but there is more thriller/drama in there etc....Bourne to me is solid action, superhuman spy battles shadowy corrupt govt forces....its thrill ride from start to finish...including what has to be one of the best car chase set ups I've seen on a screen in decades

Taken is very enjoyable too but way more heightened and leaning towards the cartoon revenge action side of things..

I mean both of those are classics in their own right but neither of those were netflix produced films right? So I'm not really comparing it against them

Like I said, some of those netflix produced films, the ones they financed for their platform. (not necessarily the foreign films they just bought the rights to) were fairly meh for me, big stars maybe and solid enough but ultimately so so...I'd include extraction in that......in fact I can't remember many that I sat through and felt enthusiastic about at the end (the killer had a bit about it and wasn't bad I suppose......hitman. for all the hype and a likeable/enjoyable enough performance from Powell..again meh enough....the rest very forgettable if not excruciating in some cases)

Look it has it's flaws and this is all subjective but I'm unmoved in my review....I think Rebel Ridge has a lot going for it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,742 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really dug Rebel Ridge. I’m not the biggest Saulnier fan - liked by didn’t quite love Blue Ruin and Green Room - but enjoyed this one more than either of those. Had enough real world grit (corrupt cops exploiting the system and people) to add welcome flavour to its action-thriller momentum. Maybe a little long, but as a film of two halves - both building up to extended and tense confrontations - it worked very well.

What was particularly interesting was having a protagonist who was uniquely capable of not killing anyone. Plenty of bone crunching and other injuries inflicted, but it was interesting to watch action scenes choreographed with a main character who was determined not to leave any bodies in his wake. Added a nice and unique flavour to proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Patser

Just finished watching The Decameron.

It's alright, very light, frothy - sometimes overstretched- comedy. Has some surprisingly good characters and acting, and then some mind numbing terrible ones.

Good to see another Derry Girls actor doing new stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭LilacNails

The Deliverance

Horror movie based on true events (apparently), few disturbing scenes but highly recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just finished 'The Perfect Couple'.

Watched a couple of episodes with the mrs, got drawn in and binged all six.

I'll give it a solid 7.5 out of 10.

Good cast, decent storyline and enough twists and turns to keep you interested.

I managed to correctly guess the perp quite early on but don't ask me how! 😄

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,364 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

what did others think of the latest unsolved mysteries series ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Family Pack

Eh, a French, messing with the space time continuum comedy thingy. 😀

Oct 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Didn't think much of Rebel Ridge at all tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement