Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I only horrors and such at Hallowe’en.

I think though I will look at some summertime slashers over the summer. I haven’t seen that many of them. Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

What can you folks recommend?

These are all on Netflix and worth a watch:
    Jaws
    Overlord
    Us
    Annihilation
    Hereditary
    The Invitation
    The Strangers
    The Conjuring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Jaws
    Overlord
    Us
    Annihilation
    Hereditary
    The Invitation
    The Strangers
    The Conjuring

And midsommar is arriving on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Jaws
    Overlord
    Us
    Annihilation
    Hereditary
    The Invitation
    The Strangers
    The Conjuring

Those are horror though

I meant madman with an axe hunting chicks on vacation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Those are horror though

Ah, right..

Friday the 13th remake is on there which is passable

The original Candyman is on there. Freddy vs Jason is there as well but I've never watched it.

Final Girls is great comedy about a group of friends getting stuck in a slasher flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Those are horror though

Hostel is on there also which is good. The hills have eyes and wrong turn are decent aswell but don't think they on netflix

• Advertisement

Ah, right..

Friday the 13th remake is on there which is passable

The original Candyman is on there. Freddy vs Jason is there as well but I've never watched it.

Final Girls is great comedy about a group of friends getting stuck in a slasher flick.

I’ve never seen any Friday the 13th and never even thought of it. So thanks o for the reminder.

A slasher comedy is definitely of interest - plus this has reminded me that Tucker and Dale vs Evil needs a rewatch.

Candyman is one of those movies I have always wanted to see but it keeps eluding me. I might save it for Halloween though as I think it could be a proper spooky film.

rekluse wrote: »
    Hostel is on there also which is good. The hills have eyes and wrong turn are decent aswell but don't think they on netflix

I don’t think Hostel is my cup of tea.

Hills have Eyes is considered a classic isn’t it? I will have to check it out.

Is that the new Wrong Turn? Is it it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don’t think Hostel is my cup of tea.

Hills have Eyes is considered a classic isn’t it? I will have to check it out.

Is that the new Wrong Turn? Is it it good?

Cabin in the woods is great fun.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Cabin in the woods is great fun.

Yes that movie is great.

I had read something that Whedon had struggled to get it made and couldn’t get a distributor but I knew nothing about the plot and the. One day I was passing the cinema and saw the poster.

It was the film that woke me to how much more fun a movie is when I haven’t seen trailers or clips.

Yes that movie is great.

I had read something that Whedon had struggled to get it made and couldn’t get a distributor but I knew nothing about the plot and the. One day I was passing the cinema and saw the poster.

It was the film that woke me to how much more fun a movie is when I haven’t seen trailers or clips.

Me too, I knew nothing about it and just watched it by chance.

Have you seen “the mist” movie? I know It’s not on Netflix but I think it’s a great horror.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Me too, I knew nothing about it and just watched it by chance.

Have you seen “the mist” movie? I know It’s not on Netflix but I think it’s a great horror.

I haven’t seen The Mist. I’ll put it in the Halloween watchlist.

I did start the tv series version but don’t get past the first episode - the actors were lifeless.

I did start the tv series version but don’t get past the first episode - the actors were lifeless.

I watched the first episode of the series, very meh.

I hadn’t actually heard anything about the movie when it came out and was suitably shocked. Just to warn, I do not remember it being funny or fun, it’s just a serious horror. (Don’t want to have you thinking it’s like cabin in the woods, nothing like it)

Not for everyone.....its gritty, slow, predictable but for anyone who's a fan of Ken Loach movies ( I, Daniel Blake etc.)there is a new one on Netflix called " sorry we missed you" about a down at heel courier driver trying to do the best he can but never catching any sort of break. Well acted & very true to life. I enjoyed it but, as I say, this genre isn't to everyones taste

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Finiahed S2 of Ragnarok and missing it already. Desperate for something new, we did 2 episodes of The Alienist last night and its very grim. Don't know if I'll stick with it. Is there a shortage of good drama on Netflix at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished "The Innocent". Wow, that was good. So many twists, and blood ...
    But the main guy Is such a bad actor. He could be saying I love you / I hate you / I'm going to the shops in the same flat way.
    He sounds better dubbed than in the Spanish original :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't actually watched Akira in at least 15 years by my reckoning; time for another go. Should be an interesting experience, watching it an older (wiser???) head compared to the handsome, dashing youth I was fadó :pac:
    Watched it tonight after many many years. And yes, my memories of it were "that's some mess".
    Now it makes some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Watch the Black and white version of the mist, far better. Some of the cgi isn't great in colour but looks much realer in b & w.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I have no interest in horror these days but I am curious about the whole Fear Night Trilogy concept. It seems like a real good idea and apparently is quite good so if successful could really set a template for future projects.

What is the concept? I've seen people talking about this for ages, and I know there's 3 of them, set in different years, but are they based on something, or is there a link between all 3, or what's the story??

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

What is the concept? I've seen people talking about this for ages, and I know there's 3 of them, set in different years, but are they based on something, or is there a link between all 3, or what's the story??

Also interested in this
    Almost watched the first one tonight but ended up watching 1st episode of the Murder in Cork thing
    Not sure I’ll bother with the last two

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's based on a book series, like Goosebumps but for an older audience. I guess I'm more intrigued as to whether the release schedule combined with the hype Netflix are trying to drum up (there's a pop up video store around the corner from my office) and the supposed quality of the movies (relative to Netflix's usual quality) will snowball and lead to a large audience tuning in for the third installment the weekend after next.

Having the third installment set in 1666 somewhat reminds me of Ginger Snaps III, a series I have a soft spot for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm not sure how I missed Assault on Precinct 13 2005 back when first released.
    Cracker of a movie with a great cast and Fishburne plays such a cool badass, I must checkout the original.

I also started The Serpent and it looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I’m very excited to see ‘The Talented Mr. Ripley’ added. Guys, I avoided this film when it came out in the cinema originally because it was unbelievably hyped and hype really puts me off.

I watched it for the first time last year and it is so unbelievably good. So many actors at the top of their game: Seymour Hoffman, Damon, Law, Blanchett. Even Gywneth Paltrow is very good. Plus the minors players are all top notch too. The film has really stayed with me. Seriously, watch it.

1999 was a very good year for film indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I missed Assault on Precinct 13 2005 back when first released.
    Cracker of a movie with a great cast and Fishburne plays such a cool badass, I must checkout the original.

I also started The Serpent and it looks promising.
    The original pisses all over the remake.

Original has so much character that the remake lacks(Yea I know, not a remake as such as a reimagine)
    It couldn't clean The Originals boots

Edit:it's on amazon prime if you have it. :)

Watched Fatherhood last night. Kevin Hart plays a widowed father of a new born baby girl. Nice enough watch, a little on the schmaltzy side and predictable as one would expect but Hart was likeable and the supporting cast were good. Not one I'd ever revisit but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Go with the classics but I dunno how many (if any) are on NF so may be of no help whatsoever. :o

Halloween (78)
    Friday the 13th (81)
    Pieces (82)
    Maniac (80)
    Maniac (2012) - really enjoyable remake
    Prom Night (80)
    House on Sorority Row (83)
    My Bloody Valentine (81)
    The Prowler (81)
    Sleepaway Camp (83)
    Tenebrae (82)
    The Burning (81)
    Deep Red (75)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74)
    Black Christmas (74)

a few more not on that list

evil dead
    the exorcist
    nightmare on elm street

a few more not on that list

evil dead
    the exorcist
    nightmare on elm street

They aren't slashers though, well, Elm St is, but it's not the traditional kind of slasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

How to Train Your Dragon
    As the son of a Viking leader, shy Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III faces a rite of passage: He must kill a dragon to prove his warrior mettle.

added

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gave Overlord a watch last night and was surprised at how good it was. Less you know going in the better probably.

It's leaving on the 10th so if you were planning on watching it now's the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »
    How to Train Your Dragon
    As the son of a Viking leader, shy Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III faces a rite of passage: He must kill a dragon to prove his warrior mettle.

added

How to Train Your Dragon is one of mt favourite filma. It's a million times better than any of the Disney/Pixar films, and I'm still angry it didn't win best score at the Oscars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How to Train Your Dragon is one of mt favourite filma. It's a million times better than any of the Disney/Pixar films, and I'm still angry it didn't win best score at the Oscars.

IMO that series suffered a little from over exposure, with a bunch of sequels, plus a TV show, all diluting the message and magic of the first film. Tis the risk of successful cartoons I suppose, they seem easier to grind out follow-ups.

Advertisement