Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards in 1962

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Congrats to Gregory Peck on winning his Oscar for his role as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Will the last one to leave turn out the lights?

Last year the population was at an all time low of just 2.8 million, after 120 years of mass emigration. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This new drink driving legislation is a load of crap
    Thin end of the wedge. I heard talk that there'd be driving test in a few years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Thin end of the wedge. I heard talk that there'd be driving test in a few years :eek:

They will feck that up eventually and have to introduce an amnesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What? How would that even work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Rawr

What? How would that even work?

Well you could test to see if someone remembers to pull out the choke for a bit, manages to start the engine, and then drive on the correct side of the road.

Would be a logistic nightmare though. You'd need a load of "Driving Testers" and some "Driving Test Centers" or something like that. It would be too much hassle, I don't see them doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

This new drink driving legislation is a load of crap

Ah now, I don't agree with that at all. If you've only had five or six pints, then fair enough, I think we'd all agree you're doing nobody any harm. But there's people out there getting into the car and driving home after ten, twenty pints. If you're too drunk to stand up unaided, then as far as I'm concerned, you're too drunk to drive. I know that might sound extreme, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Ah now, I don't agree with that at all. If you've only had five or six pints, then fair enough, I think we'd all agree you're doing nobody any harm. But there's people out there getting into the car and driving home after ten, twenty pints. If you're too drunk to stand up unaided, then as far as I'm concerned, you're too drunk to drive. I know that might sound extreme, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Listen, you don't need to stand to drive, my Anglia has seats

Listen, you don't need to stand to drive, my Anglia has seats

Look, if you're going to insist on driving when you're too drunk to get into your car unaided, then for God's sake take it handy and stick to the back roads. What if, God forbid, you got into your car after a rake of pints and got pulled over by a Guard who you don't know? It's very risky, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh hasn't a patch on Micheal O'Hehir, I'd say he won't be commentating on matches for much longer

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    What!!!!!!!!!!!

Archbishop McQuaid will put a stop to any of that carry on.

He'd have a stroke if he saw a girl in one of those two-piece bikinis at the beach!

Standard dropping in RTE and now they want us to pay for licence, I don't even drive my telly

branie2 wrote: »
    He'd have a stroke if he saw a girl in one of those two-piece bikinis at the beach!

And I wouldn't blame him.

Charlie Haughey seems to be a nice man

Charlie Haughey seems to be a nice man

I wasn't sure about him at first, what with his father-in-law being Taoiseach, but the more I see of him, the more I feel he got the Justice portfolio as a result of being the best man for the job. Seems a trustworthy sort of chap.

Seems a trustworthy sort of chap.

Can confirm he is of excellent character: always lives within his means and would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

CIE is wants to close Claremorris Swinford Kiltimagh Tubercurry railway line to passenger services soon apparently. Travel on it while ye can.
    The last cool event was last years Fleadh Ceol in Swinford.

Any fans of the Carry On films here? They're very funny!

Kenneth Williams could carry the whole show! BBC television apparently offering him other gigs too.

Kenneth Williams could carry the whole show! BBC television apparently offering him other gigs too.

Can't believe they stopped doing Hancock's Half Hour though. Himself and Sid James are the gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Those Rolling Stones lads with their party lifestyle, they'll drop dead from excess by the end of the decade, especially that headcase Jagger.

And aren't the streets of Dublin looking much better these days since they tore up those unsightly tram tracks? I can't see anything like that ever returning to clog up our streets.

• Advertisement

Can't believe they stopped doing Hancock's Half Hour though. Himself and Sid James are the gas.

Beyond Our Ken is doing well, I believe.

God bless the nuns, and the tremendous work they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

God bless the nuns, and the tremendous work they are doing

Taking care of our "fallen women" and their babies. Cant see this taking any kind of dark turn at all.
    Good eye for business opportunities and helping out childless couples.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did you hear they've colour televisions in the States now? I'm still getting used to having three channels, and RTE in High Definition 625 compared to the BBC/UTV 405, don't see why anyone would want colour TV. And sure they cost the price of a car anyway.

L1011 wrote: »
    Did you hear they've colour televisions in the States now? I'm still getting used to having three channels, and RTE in High Definition 625 compared to the BBC/UTV 405, don't see why anyone would want colour TV. And sure they cost the price of a car anyway.

I can't see it catching on!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Standard dropping in RTE and now they want us to pay for licence, I don't even drive my telly
    Licencing for all receivers started with The Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1904 :(

L1011 wrote: »

That's not high definition, the French have been using 819 lines since 1949.

The 625 to 405 converters are really really expensive. It wouldn't surprise me that at some point in the future they give up on it and point a 405 camera at a 625 TV and use that for the Luddites.

The Dubliners - can't see them becoming popular

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I wonder what Boards will be like in 2021?

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    I wonder what Boards will be like in 2021?

could be interesting, if a serious world crisis doesn't happen

Advertisement