Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards in 1962

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Licencing for all receivers started with The Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1904 :(

As a matter of principle people didn't pay it then and won't pay it now in the 60s, but come the 21st century I'm sure we will all be law abiding citizens and pay the TV licence, probably at the same time we pay up for our flying car licence. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's not high definition, the French have been using 819 lines since 1949.

The 625 to 405 converters are really really expensive. It wouldn't surprise me that at some point in the future they give up on it and point a 405 camera at a 625 TV and use that for the Luddites.

The French? Who cares about that lot, sure De Gaulle keeps making noises like he's going to block us joining that coal club we applied to join last year.

GM228 wrote: »
    I wonder what Boards will be like in 2021?

Won't have any need for it. Twill be all telepathy by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

ollaetta wrote: »
    Just back from a weekend in Liverpool. Went to a gig in a place called The Cavern. Four lads called the Beetles or something playing. They weren't bad.

Wow, how did you afford that?. Must have cost a fortune. I spent a year saving for a one way ticket.

L1011 wrote: »
    The French? Who cares about that lot, sure De Gaulle keeps making noises like he's going to block us joining that coal club we applied to join last year.

The ECSC/EEC/Euratom, those big European supranational union type clubs will never catch on, the Brits expecially will see to that...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What career would you recommend for a young lady to keep her occupied until she marries at 18 and retires to become a full time homemaker?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L1011 wrote: »

I hear the Brits will redub the French program Le Manège enchanté so that the dog will be called DeGaulle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The ECSC/EEC/Euratom, those big European supranational union type clubs will never catch on, the Brits expecially will see to that...
    The Brits couldn't get into the coal club so they setup their own one with Austria, Denmark, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, and Switzerland.

That'll show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Neyite wrote: »
    What career would you recommend for a young lady to keep her occupied until she marries at 18 and retires to become a full time homemaker?

She could get a job as a part time secretary for her local TD, providing that she is pleasing on the eye, or she has the right family connections of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭appledrop

I hear the ESB are planning a new headquarters near Fitzwilliam Street and demolishing all those horrible Georgian buildings.

Sam Stephenson is going to design a lovely new modern building, which I'd say the whole of Dublin will love.

In 50 years time we will look back and say that was one of the best decisions we ever made.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »

Tell her to become a typist, sure thats a job that will always be needed!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

appledrop wrote: »
    Tell her to become a typist, sure thats a job that will always be needed!

Nah, everyone's getting phones on their desks now, switchboard telephonist is clearly the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I hear the ESB are planning a new headquarters near Fitzwilliam Street and demolishing all those horrible Georgian buildings.

Sam Stephenson is going to design a lovely new modern building, which I'd say the whole of Dublin will love.

In 50 years time we will look back and say that was one of the best decisions we ever made.

I also hear there's plans in the pipeline for an ultra modern new office building for the Dept. Of Health on Poolbeg Street and a state of the art new shopping centre in Phibsboro.
    And just wait until you see what they have planned for the new Liberty Hall building. It will be a beacon of archaeology on the Dublin quays for years to come.

I also hear there's plans in the pipeline for an ultra modern new office building for the Dept. Of Health on Poolbeg Street and a state of the art new shopping centre in Phibsboro.
    And just wait until you see what they have planned for the new Liberty Hall building. It will be a beacon of archaeology on the Dublin quays for years to come.

And I'm hearing great plans for high rise living in Ballymun, the first to get in home cable TV and all as standard.

I think though I'll stick with the quality BBC Radio, mind you that Late Late Show may be worth watching.

And I'm hearing great plans for high rise living in Ballymun, the first to get in home cable TV and all as standard.

Wow that sounds amazing, I'd say everyone will want to live there.

I hope they give the flats a good name, after someone important.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I've given up on Liverpool F.C, they'll always be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wow that sounds amazing, I'd say everyone will want to live there.

I hope they give the flats a good name, after someone important.

Developments named after auld rebels will always be great places to live...

Anyone know a good winklepicker repair shop in the Athboy area?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Saved up £100, hoping to buy our first house next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Wore flared jeans and my father bet the head off me. Sister is pregnant out of wedlock so the mother has decided to give it away. Can't have the village thinking we're bad Catholics, the parish priest would have a meltdown and I'm only after getting on his good side, although it was a bit strange.

Listened to the new Beatles album, father bet the head off me. The sister is cleaning clothes for the nuns in exchange for her baby. Seems like a nice place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

There's going to be an important meeting held in the Vatican, I understand. There be might changes for the Catholic Church in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Listened to the new Beatles album, father bet the head off me.

Never heard of them :confused:

They won't go far

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'll probably be excommunicated for this but:

Mark my words. They'll be more popular than Jesus someday.

Nah. The Rutles are where it's at, kids. You dig?

They are a popular beat combo, or so I'm told.

My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!

They are a popular beat combo, or so I'm told.

My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!

We might hear that line again in a couple of years time

John XXIII is a great Pope

Could you imagine a Polish Pope in the future?

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    There's going to be an important meeting held in the Vatican, I understand. There be might changes for the Catholic Church in the future.

Nonsense. If it ain't broke don't fix it I say

Advertisement