Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards in 1962

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭appledrop

I went to a fortune teller the other day and she was telling me that in future all babies will be born in a hospitial, not at home and the fathers will be present at the birth.

Mad stuff altogether.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

appledrop wrote: »
    I went to a fortune teller the other day and she was telling me that in future all babies will be born in a hospitial, not at home and the fathers will be present at the birth.

Mad stuff altogether.

What? You'll never get the day off work for that, are they going to schedule all births to be on Saturdays? Cause Sunday is for mass, the pub and maybe a match, can't be doing anything else then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

branie2 wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling about Dallas if he plans to visit it late next year

That's clairvoyance.ie in 1962 :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    What? You'll never get the day off work for that, are they going to schedule all births to be on Saturdays? Cause Sunday is for mass, the pub and maybe a match, can't be doing anything else then.

I know. Good job this is a male only site so we can discuss the horrors of such ideas.

Don't worry I told the fortune teller it would never catch on in a million years.

I asked for a refund of my half a crown because she was obviously a fraud but she wasn't having any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Who's this pup Gay Byrne on the telebox of a Friday? I don't like his showy hair and blaspheming chatter. I'll tell you one thing, if he starts waving prophylactics around I'm going to send a telegram to the Minister of Posts and Telegraphs to have him sent to read the weather. Didn't the Archbishop warn us that audio visual stimuli in the living room would be the ruination of us as a people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yurt! wrote: »
    Who's this pup Gay Byrne on the telebox of a Friday? I don't like his showy hair and blaspheming chatter. I'll tell you one thing, if he starts waving prophylactics around I'm going to send a telegram to the Minister of Posts and Telegraphs to have him sent to read the weather. Didn't the Archbishop warn us that audio visual stimuli in the living room would be the ruination of us as a people?

It's on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

This new drink driving legislation is a load of crap

This new drink driving legislation is a load of crap

You think that's bad, I've a friend who works in car manufacturing plant and he was telling me they are working on a lap belt that you would have to wear as the driver!

Imagine, he said he doesn't think it will catch on, too uncomfortable.

I think skirts will get shorter in a couple of years time.

What!!!!!!!!!!!

Archbishop McQuaid will put a stop to any of that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I see the government has given into godlessness and is committed decimalization. A punnet of betroot is three crowns, a shilling and sixpence and that's the way it will always be as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hitchcock’s The Birds is a very disturbing - and terrifying new horror film.

Has anyone read Ken Kesey’s One Who Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest yet? Heard it’s a cracking read!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It's on a Saturday

And for good reason too. Who'd watch a programme like the Late Late Show on a Friday night?

ollaetta wrote: »
    Not a great World Cup so far and can't see Brazil retaining it. Not convinced by your man Pele.

Pele is useless. Totally overhyped. This new generation of footballers are soft and lacking in character.

What's a good whiskey to drink in the office before lunch? Anyone got any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Kennedy's too popular! Mark my words, he's going to get himself assassinated.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Kennedy's too popular! Mark my words, he's going to get himself assassinated.

You conspiracy theorists tin-foil hat wearing nutjobs are ruining Boards. Try living in the real world for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

I see there's a plan to build a dual carriageway to Naas. What a waste of money, it'll just be white elephant for the benefit of politicians going to Punchestown

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Did you hear they're going to turn the James Bond books into films?

Dr No will be out in a few months but it's going to be terrible. They're only after going and casting that eejit Sean Connery from Darby O'Gill and the Little People. He'll never be Bond in my eyes. Should have stuck with Bob Holness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My Uncle won £500 in the sweepstakes!!!!!

WE'RE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New houses for all of us, a big trip to Lourdes for all aunts & uncles & all 35 cousins, a new farm, and he said he might spoil himself and get one of those swanky new Massey Ferguson MF35's (no one in our county has one yet).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did anyone go to the flicks to see that Laurence of Arabia? I thought it was a bit meh myself!!!

Can't wait to see The Longest Day next month.... John Wayne is teh best actor there ever will be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks to Don Draper for arranging for a month's free supply of Lucky Strike.

I was in England recently, and one of their dramas on TV is called Coronation Street. Somehow, I can't imagine it been shown here.

I was in England recently, and one of their dramas on TV is called Coronation Street. Somehow, I can;t imagine it been shown here.

Agreed. I am enjoying that whole 'kitchen sink' movement in English drama these days. Of course, they could go too far with it and one day end up with drama that consists of nothing but cursing and farting. In Ireland, as always, cooler heads will prevail, and as long as we stick to depicting the working class rather than letting them depict themselves, we will avoid such crass outcomes for our theatrical and artistic communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I was in England recently, and one of their dramas on TV is called Coronation Street. Somehow, I can't imagine it been shown here.

That Ken Barlow is one boring individual. Can't see it lasting long with him in it.

Did you hear they're going to turn the James Bond books into films?

Dr No will be out in a few months but it's going to be terrible. They're only after going and casting that eejit Sean Connery from Darby O'Gill and the Little People. He'll never be Bond in my eyes. Should have stuck with Bob Holness.

There might be a nice scene of a woman in a bikini, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BuboBubo wrote: »
    I wonder will we get snow this winter?

It couldn't be anything like 1947.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Good to see Ipswich Town win the league. I'd say they'll dominate English top flight football for the next decade or 2.

Any fans of the Carry On films here? They're very funny!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sylvia Plath's poetry is very dark and depressing stuff

I fear that the young woman isn't long for this world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CIE are tearing up railways, because our population will never grow and our cities will certainly never expand.

A shiny new Morris Minor in every driveway.

Advertisement