Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

1116117118119120122»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

At 17 years old the expression "putting lipstick on a pig" comes to mind but after i resprayed my bumper I decided to give the old girl a bit of a detail.

A simple paint correction with a medium cutting compound, followed by finishing stage, and gloss. In some places I used a more aggresive cutting compound (Menzerna 400 or 1000) but overall there were no major issues.

The bonnet does need a respray. The stone chips, while some say they're subtle, are an eyesore to me so like with the bumper I'll respray the bonnet to remove them properly.

Due to being a fat git, and having a slight disability I'm limited at getting to some areas (kneeling/sitting) so be gentle. :D

557293.jpg

557294.jpg

557295.jpg

557296.jpg

557297.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Looks really really well Cass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cass that's looking very fresh, I know I know a lot including myself put down Opel's but they did do some cool cars....
    Favourite been the 3.2 V6 omegas
    Vectra OPC and vxr Sri was nice too
    Astra OPC
    These were cool cars to drive.

Wrote of an ex rental 1.8 standard Vectra, Christ the handling on it was so bad it would lose its tail on roundabouts not even pushing it, that should have given me the warning but hell black ice took it out down in Wexford, not one of the 8 airbags worked.... Car destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

not one of the 8 airbags worked

Holy crap that's mental :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Cass that's looking very fresh, I know I know a lot including myself put down Opel's but they did do some cool cars....
    Favourite been the 3.2 V6 omegas
    Vectra OPC and vxr Sri was nice too
    Astra OPC
    These were cool cars to drive.

An Astra OPC passed me yesterday in that blue colour, still looks good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never an idle day. :D

I had some paint leftover after doing the bumper so I took the notion to take off the rocker cover and paint it black. I also took out the battery cover and air breather cover, but due to the "stippling" nature of the covers I washed them with degreaser, then isopropyl alcohol and when dried used a plastic regenerator.

I finshed it with some clearcoat I also had mixed after the bumper so gave all three items a few coats of clear to prtect them.

In hindisght I think I should have gone through the trouble of sanding down the battery/air breather so they were as smooth as the rocker cover but I can tackle that at another day.

I recently changed the front suspension (shocks, tie rod ends, drop links, springs, control arm, bushes) so with the new top mounts showing I also cleaned the engine bay. Washed it down with a mixture of degreaser and APC (using a hand pump washer sprayer rather than power hose) and gave all areas a good cleaning to remove dust, dirt, etc.

It cleaner, but the black, while I like it, seems to make the other hoses seem old and tattered. Not sure if I'll clean them or replace them with either new hoses or not. Not really into the "fast & furious" type engine mods that are purely aesthetic (chrome, braided, etc) so might just go standard hoses, but new.

557376.png

557377.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

I was going to say a quick wash but thats not possible with this thing. Thorough two bucket was, some Auto Glym Aqua wax. bit of a window polish, hoover and proper clean of the wheels. Knackered after it.

51291542441_cd41727bab_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

traco wrote: »
    I was going to say a quick wash but thats not possible with this thing. Thorough two bucket was, some Auto Glym Aqua wax. bit of a window polish, hoover and proper clean of the wheels. Knackered after it.

51291542441_cd41727bab_b.jpg

Looks smashing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Recently acquired this mk4 Ford Mondeo, been wanting to give it a run over with a DA polisher for a while, weather was teasing rain but I went at it anyway, started to rain 2 minutes after I applied the wax, which has to cure for 30mins. Photos below. All products used were Autoglym, used they're super resin polish it's a good 'All in one' polish I find. Process used was as follows. Didn't turn out bad for an 11yr old bus

Wash,Dry,Clay bar,Polish,Wax

(And while wax was trying to cure in the rain I put some bumper and trim gel on the sections of trim, and used a performance tyre gel to give the sidewalls some depth of colour again)

Post edited by BlakeS94 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Paintwork is in good condition, no swirls or anything

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wrecked today after long DIY day yesterday, but the weather was absolutely perfect being cool breeze and heavy cloud for a 5hr overdue session.

Vacuum inside followed by all glass polish inside and out. Alloys hand washed and waxed, tyres treated. Panel by panel two bucket wash and then wax all over.

Just the one photo as I've the driveway dug out and I ain't standing on muck.... wrecked afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Graham 1324

Auto Glyn show shine , not too bad

Advertisement