Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I'd say you'll be happy to be shot of the old 17" rims, that design are a pig to clean with that groove behind the spokes.

The main reason for a change was they are too common

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

The main reason for a change was they are too common

Are you sure they will fit your car? Are they OEM G30 18s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Are you sure they will fit your car? Are they OEM G30 18s?

no they wont fit but i got adapter with them, just need to get longer bolts at the weekend and should fit fine

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

no they wont fit but i got adapter with them, just need to get longer bolts at the weekend and should fit fine

Post a photo when you've it sorted. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Today I did some metal polishing. I got soaked in the process but I had it started so I said I would finish it. It brings up the rear end quite a bit IMO.

51079677497_1e7815e41f_c.jpg

The box is as shiny on the left, as the right. Whatever way the shadows are is making it look different.

The process was:

Hose down
    Scrub with Gtechniq W5 APC and Vikan stiff bristle brush
    Hose down and dry
    Grade 0000 steel wool and Autosol metal polish
    Wipe down and inspect
    Another pass of steel wool and polish
    Wipe down
    Tar spots and remaining residue removed with Gtechniq W7
    Wipe down with APC
    Wipe down with Gtechniq Panel Wipe
    2 coats of Gtechniq C2V3 (When I have the wheels done I might apply C5 to this area if I have any left over).

I also replaced the rear badge which was corroded and I replaced both air diverters under the front bumper.

Next week I'll be finishing off the paint correction (only the drivers door and C pillar to do) along with a wheel detail and Gtechniq C5 application and new centre caps, wheel arch detail, brake caliper detail with pad removal in order to remove all the caked-up brake dust followed by crystal serum application, disc hub detail.

If I have time and energy after that I'll do an engine bay detail and properly clean the seats and apply Gtechniq L1.

I got a new steam cleaner over the weekend so that might be of help with some of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Ceramic Coating complete. The whole process took a good 18 hours ish. It was my first time doing a lot of the different phases.

What I did and things I would do differently!

Snow foam, 2 bucket wash, Red Ox decon and a soft claying. It didn't really need it, couldn't feel anything coming off the paint.
    Used a big drying towel to remove most of the water.

I then moved it into the garage and taped up most of the trim. I'm not sure this was strictly necessary but I didn't want to directly hit the trim with the polisher but I think it would've been fine anyway. This took a good while.
    Single stage paint correction using Menzerna 3500 and a green finishing pad. (switched to a white hexlogic pad and it was much better). A different product may have been more suitable but it did turn out well. I had a Das 6 Pro machine polisher and a 5" backing plate, the car is very curvy in parts making it very difficult. I would recommend also getting a 3" pad too.

I used many many microfibre towels for removing polish, I wish I had bought more high GSM towels for the process.

I had a small inspection torch to make sure I was getting rid of swirls but there is a lot to be said for having really good lamps, I had to make do with not great indoor lighting.

Carpro Eraser was used as the panel wipe for removing oils and residue from the polishing process. When I got to day 2 I had only 1 side left to polish.
    The Ceramic Coating (GTechniq Crystal Serum Light) was pretty easy to apply with the included applicator. I had 3 high GSM towels which made removal really easy. I used 1 to remove and then 1 to make sure everything was gone. I wish I had 3 times as many of these towels though. I also ceramic coated the aero covers and trim of the car. I didn't do the glass because I'm going to get something specific for glass.
    Once the CSL was applied, I left it an hour and then went straight into 2 coats of EXO. The CSL is hydrophobic on its own but this brings it to another level.

I put autoglym tire gel on the tires.
    I left it about 18 hours before collecting it to let the coatings cure. I have to leave it another week before washing it.
    It certainly was a learning process and I have a new found respect for detailers, my back is broken!

My guestimate cost ish is:
    65 for CSL
    60 for EXO
    40 ish on various towels
    Had the loan of the DAS 6 Pro
    15 for carpro eraser
    There were other bits and bobs, lets say 20 quid.
    All in all 200 euro and 18 hours work!
    I think I saw someone had a quote of 600 which included the 2 coats of EXO. Unless this is something you enjoy doing, I'd get someone else to do it.
    I'll update again in a couple of months to see if the coating is doing it's job!

PXL-20210407-092144030-1.jpg
    PXL-20210407-122743739.jpg
    PXL-20210407-153951741.jpg
    PXL-20210408-173512081.jpg
    PXL-20210408-173735484.jpg
    PXL-20210408-173748614.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I dont know if I would call it detailing but I recently got a foam lance along with some different products for it. These spray on sealants are unreal, and completely new to me. Prob been on the market a long time and I'm late to the party but I'm nearly annoyed that I used to spend time waxing a car when these sealants work so well with zero effort....

IMG-20210516-204454.jpg
    IMG-20210516-202559.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I dont know if I would call it detailing but I recently got a foam lance along with some different products for it. These spray on sealants are unreal, and completely new to me. Prob been on the market a long time and I'm late to the party but I'm nearly annoyed that I used to spend time waxing a car when these sealants work so well

Which sealant did you use? Looking into them myself with a new foam cannon purchase on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Austmcc wrote: »
    Which sealant did you use? Looking into them myself with a new foam cannon purchase on the way

https://www.blok51.com/kkd-purity-x-polymer-concentrate-250ml.html

A few pics from the weekend. We removed, detailed and ceramic coated the wheels on conzy's F30. Some craic!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW4sCE5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Has anyone applied Gtechniq products outside on their drive? I don't have a garage. Want to G1 the car windows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A few pics from the weekend. We removed, detailed and ceramic coated the wheels on conzy's F30. Some craic!
    Nice.

Love to see wheels that are cleaned inside and "out".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

myshirt wrote: »
    Has anyone applied Gtechniq products outside on their drive? I don't have a garage. Want to G1 the car windows.

Metzger has probably applied gtechniq products to everything he owns, including his underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

The a6 got a bit of a cleanup

Wash
    De Tar
    Wash
    Fallout
    Wash
    Claymit
    rinsh
    2 coats of penta wax

[IMG][/img]20210622-204506.jpg
    20210622-205729.jpg
    20210622-211400.jpg
    20210622-211919.jpg
    20210622-212624.jpg
    20210622-213940.jpg
    20210623-200418.jpg
    20210623-200436.jpg
    20210623-200506.jpg
    20210623-200509.jpg
    20210623-202519.jpg
    20210624-195054.jpg
    20210624-214238.jpg
    20210624-214245.jpg
    20210624-214301.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

[IMG][/img]20210623-201921.jpg
    20210623-201923.jpg
    20210623-201932.jpg
    20210623-201955.jpg
    20210623-202127.jpg
    20210624-195115.jpg
    20210624-195122.jpg

Looking fantastic.

Great write up. Lovely motor.

Metzger has probably applied gtechniq products to everything he owns, including his underpants.

Nothing like a bit of beading on the jocks! :pac:

I did polishing and G1 in my driveway. I covered all the glass afterwards with sheets to protect from bird droppings. G1 is more or less cured about 15 minutes after application. Maybe a bit longer after you remove the residue.

I don't think rain would really bother it but bird droppings more than likely would until the official cure time has been met.

I did polishing and G1 in my driveway. I covered all the glass afterwards with sheets to protect from bird droppings. G1 is more or less cured about 15 minutes after application. Maybe a bit longer after you remove the residue.

I don't think rain would really bother it but bird droppings more than likely would until the official cure time has been met.

I have a glass sunroof to do too. Presumably same story. Any specific glass polish to use or did you stick to the Gtechniq product? I have Soft99 Glaco on the window, will need to strip somehow.

I'm going to C5 the wheels another weekend.

Then I'll move on to the underpants.

I have a glass sunroof to do too. Presumably same story. Any specific glass polish to use or did you stick to the Gtechniq product? I have Soft99 Glaco on the window, will need to strip somehow.

I'm going to C5 the wheels another weekend.

Then I'll move on to the underpants.

I used Gtechniq G4 glass polish on a mini dual action. You can of course do it by hand.

In order to remove the Glaco, I'm not sure if G4 would do the job but I'd nearly be certain that CarPro CeriGlass would remove it.

• Advertisement

At 17 years old the expression "putting lipstick on a pig" comes to mind but after i resprayed my bumper I decided to give the old girl a bit of a detail.

A simple paint correction with a medium cutting compound, followed by finishing stage, and gloss. In some places I used a more aggresive cutting compound (Menzerna 400 or 1000) but overall there were no major issues.

The bonnet does need a respray. The stone chips, while some say they're subtle, are an eyesore to me so like with the bumper I'll respray the bonnet to remove them properly.

Due to being a fat git, and having a slight disability I'm limited at getting to some areas (kneeling/sitting) so be gentle. :D

557293.jpg

557294.jpg

557295.jpg

557296.jpg

557297.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Looks really really well Cass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cass that's looking very fresh, I know I know a lot including myself put down Opel's but they did do some cool cars....
    Favourite been the 3.2 V6 omegas
    Vectra OPC and vxr Sri was nice too
    Astra OPC
    These were cool cars to drive.

Wrote of an ex rental 1.8 standard Vectra, Christ the handling on it was so bad it would lose its tail on roundabouts not even pushing it, that should have given me the warning but hell black ice took it out down in Wexford, not one of the 8 airbags worked.... Car destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

not one of the 8 airbags worked

Holy crap that's mental :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Cass that's looking very fresh, I know I know a lot including myself put down Opel's but they did do some cool cars....
    Favourite been the 3.2 V6 omegas
    Vectra OPC and vxr Sri was nice too
    Astra OPC
    These were cool cars to drive.

An Astra OPC passed me yesterday in that blue colour, still looks good

Never an idle day. :D

I had some paint leftover after doing the bumper so I took the notion to take off the rocker cover and paint it black. I also took out the battery cover and air breather cover, but due to the "stippling" nature of the covers I washed them with degreaser, then isopropyl alcohol and when dried used a plastic regenerator.

I finshed it with some clearcoat I also had mixed after the bumper so gave all three items a few coats of clear to prtect them.

In hindisght I think I should have gone through the trouble of sanding down the battery/air breather so they were as smooth as the rocker cover but I can tackle that at another day.

I recently changed the front suspension (shocks, tie rod ends, drop links, springs, control arm, bushes) so with the new top mounts showing I also cleaned the engine bay. Washed it down with a mixture of degreaser and APC (using a hand pump washer sprayer rather than power hose) and gave all areas a good cleaning to remove dust, dirt, etc.

It cleaner, but the black, while I like it, seems to make the other hoses seem old and tattered. Not sure if I'll clean them or replace them with either new hoses or not. Not really into the "fast & furious" type engine mods that are purely aesthetic (chrome, braided, etc) so might just go standard hoses, but new.

557376.png

557377.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I was going to say a quick wash but thats not possible with this thing. Thorough two bucket was, some Auto Glym Aqua wax. bit of a window polish, hoover and proper clean of the wheels. Knackered after it.

51291542441_cd41727bab_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

traco wrote: »
    I was going to say a quick wash but thats not possible with this thing. Thorough two bucket was, some Auto Glym Aqua wax. bit of a window polish, hoover and proper clean of the wheels. Knackered after it.

51291542441_cd41727bab_b.jpg

Looks smashing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Recently acquired this mk4 Ford Mondeo, been wanting to give it a run over with a DA polisher for a while, weather was teasing rain but I went at it anyway, started to rain 2 minutes after I applied the wax, which has to cure for 30mins. Photos below. All products used were Autoglym, used they're super resin polish it's a good 'All in one' polish I find. Process used was as follows. Didn't turn out bad for an 11yr old bus

Wash,Dry,Clay bar,Polish,Wax

(And while wax was trying to cure in the rain I put some bumper and trim gel on the sections of trim, and used a performance tyre gel to give the sidewalls some depth of colour again)

Post edited by BlakeS94 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Paintwork is in good condition, no swirls or anything

Advertisement