Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Lot of talk about Rhasidat and 4x400. It's not so clear cut for me. She ran that amazing split in collegiate circuit, but I'd imagine she's absolutely wrecked after a long demanding season. It's extremely unlikely she'll be in top shape come Tokyo being realistic.

You could argue a case for all of Rhasidat, Sophie and Sharlene. I have faith in all of them, so I don't think it will be a controversy which 2 of those 3 will join Phil.

This will not be a Catriona Cuddihy London 2012 type situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Lot of talk about Rhasidat and 4x400. It's not so clear cut for me. She ran that amazing split in collegiate circuit, but I'd imagine she's absolutely wrecked after a long demanding season. It's extremely unlikely she'll be in top shape come Tokyo being realistic.

You could argue a case for all of Rhasidat, Sophie and Sharlene. I have faith in all of them, so I don't think it will be a controversy which 2 of those 3 will join Phil.

I suppose the argument with Rhasidat is that she is the coming superstar of Irish sprinting and why wouldn't you want to bring her to an Olympic Games?

It would be like if Ireland qualified for the World Cup and had an 18 year old starlet striker on the verge of making the breakthrough to the Man City first team. There would definitely be arguments for his inclusion, despite his clear lack of top flight experience (i.e. with one eye on his long term development).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

She may prefer to run individually at the World Juniors where she’d be a medal chance. I think that’s probably a better shout for her development than potentially running one leg of a mixed relay in the Olympics

Might be different if we were in medal contention but we’re likely in the 14-16 range with or without her.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I suppose the argument with Rhasidat is that she is the coming superstar of Irish sprinting and why wouldn't you want to bring her to an Olympic Games?

It would be like if Ireland qualified for the World Cup and had an 18 year old starlet striker on the verge of making the breakthrough to the Man City first team. There would definitely be arguments for his inclusion, despite his clear lack of top flight experience (i.e. with one eye on his long term development).

I hear ya. I guess a lot of it will come down to how she feels about going to Tokyo. Maybe she will want to end her season given how long it's been and given she's still developing. Maybe Tokyo will mess up her longer term plans. I know she said in the RTE interview that she'd like to run, but she may feel differently next week or the week after.

If she's feeling good and she wants to go, then I'm sure she'll be picked.

I hear ya. I guess a lot of it will come down to how she feels about going to Tokyo. Maybe she will want to end her season given how long it's been and given she's still developing. Maybe Tokyo will mess up her longer term plans. I know she said in the RTE interview that she'd like to run, but she may feel differently next week or the week after.

If she's feeling good and she wants to go, then I'm sure she'll be picked.

I suppose the one good thing that would mitigate any disappointment is that Paris is only three years away, where she will still only be 21. So if she wasn't chosen, it wouldn't be a huge setback. It's unlikely she has had her heart set on Tokyo all year. But it will be very interesting to see what the selectors do and what way they are thinking : is she 'one for the future' or do they make the case for her inclusion right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh wow, Sydney McLaughlin ran the 400m hurdles world record last night. Runs 51.90, beats Dalilah Muhammad and is the first woman in history to run sub 52 seconds. And she's still only 21! I still wouldn't rule out Muhammad snatching one last gold in Tokyo, but McLaughlin will likely dominate the sport for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

I think Sharlene is the most likely to be dropped at this stage. Rhasidat is not going to turn down a chance to go to the Olympics if offered, nobody is! A lot can happen in 3 years to stop a person qualifying in 2024.
    To be honest if Rhasidat is the choice but does opt out, Cliodhna Manning has also ran faster than Sharlene and second at nationals ahead of her after a foot operation. So she has 2 reasons to be picked ahead of Sharlene and she can definitely go faster with another couple of races.

One thing not mentioned is Andrew Mellon on the men’s side. He released an instagram post Thursday evening that he was retiring after national seniors due to some personal issues. He definitely felt that getting picked wasn’t within his current form. But he did finish 4th and was part of the original squad. So if Sharlene got chosen, by the same logic he would have to be picked ahead of Robert McDonnell. I suppose he can unretire if that happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Forge83 wrote: »

One thing not mentioned is Andrew Mellon on the men’s side. He released an instagram post Thursday evening that he was retiring after national seniors due to some personal issues. He definitely felt that getting picked wasn’t within his current form. But he did finish 4th and was part of the original squad. So if Sharlene got chosen, by the same logic he would have to be picked ahead of Robert McDonnell. I suppose he can unretire if that happens...

Didn't his post say it was his last 'individual' race at the weekend... which I assumed was to leave the door open for the relay team?

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the athletics at the weekend. I would've preferred different commentary but that was a common opinion. Also, the RTE coverage ignored the start of the men's 5000m and didn't begin their coverage until after the women's 5000m final. But better than nothing I guess.

Also, thanks to all the posters on here for highlighting the various competitions Irish athletes were appearing at to help with Tokyo qualification. I've gotten so interested in following the process and wouldn't have known where to find the half of it only for you guys sharing on here. Good job.

On the rankings 3 US heptathletes now have the standard so no chance for Kate O’Connor. She needs 3 to drop out

She’s been selected for the European under 23s so that’s a sign they don’t expect the drop outs

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

Dodge wrote: »
    On the rankings 3 US heptathletes now have the standard so no chance for Kate O’Connor. She needs 3 to drop out

She’s been selected for the European under 23s so that’s a sign they don’t expect the drop outs

Rashidat is not selected for U23s so certainly going to Tokyo?

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t be certain about anything with Irish athletics!

The world juniors are later in the summer and would be more prestigious than Euro under 23s. She’s eligible for that

I think we’ll have a squad announcement for Tokyo within a week

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

She couldn't be selected for u23 shes still a ju ior u20 and there is a world juior championship
    But can be selected for seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I think she has done more than enough to punch her ticket. PH had the advantage of the inside lane to track her and i thought RA went out too hard on first 50 and tied up on last 50 yet was just pipped. In the 100 final she was much stronger in the last 50 than the first 50. She's 18 so no way fitness or recovery an issue imo and she wants to go to Tokyo. Mentioned it a couple of times in interviews over the 2 days.

I think she has done more than enough to punch her ticket.

She hasn’t even raced an individual 400m this year

I’m not suggesting she isn’t the best women for the job but one leg for Texas shouldn’t be classed as ‘more than enough’ IMO

And again for clarity, I hope she does go

I think she has done more than enough to punch her ticket. PH had the advantage of the inside lane to track her and i thought RA went out too hard on first 50 and tied up on last 50 yet was just pipped. In the 100 final she was much stronger in the last 50 than the first 50. She's 18 so no way fitness or recovery an issue imo and she wants to go to Tokyo. Mentioned it a couple of times in interviews over the 2 days.

Also, she's the coming woman of Irish athletics - you can see why they might want to involve her in the whole Olympics thing right from the outset, with one eye on her long term development (give her a taste for it so to speak).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

She hasn’t even raced an individual 400m this year

She set the junior indoor record for the 400 this year.

For me, Rhasidat's 200m performances all season have been worthy of an Olympic place. She's been robbed by a ridiculous points system. So with that in mind, she'd be quite deserving of a place in Tokyo in the relay.

That won't be factored in when deciding who the best 400 runners are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

How reliable are these quick times coming out of the US? Dodgy timing clocks, carbon soled shoes or just very quick athletes?

velo.2010 wrote: »
    How reliable are these quick times coming out of the US? Dodgy timing clocks, carbon soled shoes or just very quick athletes?

And a year away from the spotlight *side eyes emoji*

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Mark English's 800m: here after 1930: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-E3_VDh7Pg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Live athletics from Lucerne on Eurosport now...

https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/5703

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

English gets his sub 1.45, looks like a lot of lads hit the standard for Tokyo.

*Confirmed 2nd place in 1.44.71 must be his fastest time ever? Top 4 under 1.45.2

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MichiganIrish

Yes new Irish record 1.44.71!

English gets his sub 1.45, looks like a lot of lads hit the standard for Tokyo.

Yes, a very fast race with them well strung out at the finish....he finish second in 1.44.71

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

bout fooking time. delighted for him

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Irish record and an automatic Tokyo qualifier :cool: Good day for Mark English.

45.55 for Chris O’Donnell too. Huge PB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Hamachi

45.55 for Chris O’Donnell too. Huge PB

Saw it on YouTube just now. Nice run. He took some good scalps finishing second and wasn’t a million miles behind Wayde Van Niekerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Rankings update, big change in 800m womens, Loiuse Shannahan swaps places with Georgie Hartigan, both her Nadia and Siofra are in. Also Eilish Flanagan gets into the Steeplechase

Women-
    200 Phil
    400 Phil
    800 nadia/siofra and Shanahan
    1500 Ciara and Sarah
    3000 ST Finn and Flanagan
    100mh Sarah Lavin

Men
    200 Lalwer and *Reid
    800 English
    1500 Coscoran
    400h Barr

Tobin misses by 6 places and Kate o'connor by 2 (did she get injured after her last competeition,she would have made it if she got 6k again)

https://www.worldathletics.org/stats-zone/road-to/7132391?eventId=10229614&country=IRL

• Advertisement

Had originally assumed that Athing Mu was perhaps another over-hyped American, but running 1:56.07 changes things. Has she ever even ran a Diamond League meet? Should be a contender for gold in Tokyo.

One of her biggest rivals should be Werkwuha Getachew who ran 1:56.67 at the Ethiopian trials a couple of weeks back. I imagine most won't have heard of her before that.

Advertisement