Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Listening to Liveline now a.....
    Of course the host is **** over the virus and defending NPHET...

I'm unfortunate to hear the start of every Liveline due to The News at 1 proceeding it.

But I can with certainty say that statement is completely made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I have bad news for you if you're using these restriction threads as a metric...

Tbf, there were people pro restrictions who are now anti this stuff and that group is growing all the time (probably massively today). Anywhere online I'm seeing (here, Reddit, twitter etc) think this is sh1t today is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't get it any more. Is our health system really that bad that we can't open like other countries? How bad is it? Or is it some weird anti alcohol puritan thing or what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus the man on liveline set up a kitchen in his pub so he could open last year and now he can’t bring people in!!! This is just criminal.

ppor bloke sounded very close to the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus the man on liveline set up a kitchen in his pub so he could open last year and now he can’t bring people in!!! This is just criminal.

Imagine the poor bastards who opened or bought a hospitality business in late 2019 or early 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, there were people pro restrictions who are now anti this stuff and that group is growing all the time (probably massively today). Anywhere online I'm seeing (here, Reddit, twitter etc) think this is sh1t today is ridiculous.

It doesn't even matter if there's supporters, because anyone who supports this is simply waving a flag of idiocy.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Too small - there needs to be hundreds of thousands to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Imagine the poor bastards who opened or bought a hospitality business in late 2019 or early 2020.

And all the pubs/restaurants etc who got stock in over the last week. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

I really don’t get this,

Last week was in hotel in Dublin I mean the hotel was full everyone eatting inside and drinking inside no issues at all,

But I can’t go to the restaurant next to it and eat inside, so it’s ok for me to eat in a room with 120 people in a hotel but not in a restaurant,

Then we have vacation checks I am sorry to tell you no restaurant is going to check this and I fell sorry for the staff who will need to ask for your vac card,

This country I really don’t get it, I just won’t to be able to get my stupid vac so I can travel in Aug but with Tony there ha not a hope in hell I am the evil person to even think about getting out of Ireland,

I was vehemently pro restrictions but the science doesn't back NPHET's decision yesterday. Using worse case scenario as their baseline. Also, there is a clear anti-alcohol backing to their advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The question has still not been answered though - why are we still under these restrictions when 70% of the population has had at least one dose of the vaccine? We have been told for the last 16 months that our only way out of all this was a vaccine - we have 4 different vaccines!! And don’t anybody say “the delta variant” cos the vaccines are effective against that variant also. It’s just baffling; restaurants know what they need to do in terms of Covid guidelines for dining indoors, don’t treat them like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

We just need to get everyone to hang tough for another few weeks. Nphet asks are small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Even if they go with it, are restaurants even legally allowed ask you for your medical information and not serve you if you can't provide them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

Varadkar has just come out and essentially said that indoor won't open until we reach herd immunity, and they don't know when that will be.

What an utter farce of a country and government. Absolutely the embarrassment of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

So it looks like we should get the HSE vaccination card laminated...
    Is it now worth more than a twenty Euro note?

I know 2 friends who have done just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Just been told from a local pub owner that around four pubs in my town will be opening up indoor dining without the need for vaccination certs. The owner even said he will open up indoor dining on the 5th of July. He claims nobody will even bother to check or care.

Good for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

People need to calm down a bit.

The politicians are taking the correct medical guidance and advice and factoring that into the opening up schedule. That’s how it should be and I wouldn’t want the politicians doing solo runs.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Too small - there needs to be hundreds of thousands to get anywhere.

Too short notice. People from all over the country might want to attend and would possibly need a day or two to organize

But its a good start. lets all just hope that rent-a-mobs and trouble makers stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

All hail the glorious leader

3E4klUs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A nation of ankle grabbers gets shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So the government were given an optimist version as well and decided on the pessimistic version.
    Is this a bad episode of the Simpsons?

God help that industry when it's pissing raining outside and not a soul to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Open up now !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

People need to calm down a bit.

The politicians are taking the correct medical guidance and advice and factoring that into the opening up schedule. That’s how it should be and I wouldn’t want the politicians doing solo runs.

I assume you have sources to back up the idea that our medical advice which seems to go against the rest of Europe and much of the world is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fils wrote: »
    We just need to get everyone to hang tough for another few weeks. Nphet asks are small.
    Just 14 days to flatten the curve ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Aye, to be fair - myself included, only since 1pm today admittedly - I honestly don't think this plan will be kept, it's way too cautious, and quite nonsensical.

Something about how this is being handled today is quite interesting -

Step 1. make todays announcement - include no date for indoor dining
    2. wait for guaranteed backlash that cannot be ignored
    3. provide new date for indoor dining beyond the original july date

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I assume you have sources to back up the idea that our medical advice which seems to go against the rest of Europe and much of the world is correct?

I’m not a public health medical expert nor are the politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NPHETs model was to basically multiply the January surge by 3. That's it. That's all they did. Multiply by 3. Create a chart on Excel. Send to government. That's it. That's all they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Fils wrote: »

If you don’t own or work in a restaurant or pub…..You’ve heard of tourist season I assume….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

namloc1980 wrote: »

Just so it's clear - won't open on the 19th either per MM but we'll have a "plan". WE'VE HAD MONTHS FOR A PLAN!!

Ah now in fairness we've had two plans already. The first one which was out of date the day it was announced (and which Leo claimed later failed because they weren't aware of the possibility of a virus having variants). And the second one which had zero concrete detail in it apart from a couple of travel-related bits.

Considering how long it took to get the Covid app working, and to sort out the legalities around mandatory hotel quarantine, this suggestion of yet another plan is effectively telling hospitality owners to burn down their premises, claim the insurance, and emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I’m not a public health medical expert nor are the politicians

Going by their latest projection, it appears NPHET are no longer either.

Advertisement