Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

you think he only was only convicted and received the sentence he did because of the fear of riots. that is portraying him as a victim.

I asked a question.
    Yet you seem to know what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,215 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I asked a question.
    Yet you seem to know what I think.

what do you think? do you think he was only convicted and received the sentence he did because of a fear of riots?

what do you think? do you think he was only convicted and received the sentence he did because of a fear of riots?

I don't know.
    That's why I asked the question.

I don't know.
    That's why I asked the question.

Yeah right. You just happened to ask a leading question. Entirely innocent like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And he was sentenced to over two decades in prison.

Good.

A policeman shouldn't be reckless with his authority and end up killing someone.

Still though, why is this a race issue?

Because it is in another in a long line of incidents where black people watch police use excessive force against members of their community resulting in them being killed.

You might disagree with this, but you're around these discussions long enough to know the premise behind this viewpoint and that this is the foundation of the BLM protests which you've said you abhor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Because it is in another in a long line of incidents where black people watch police use excessive force against members of their community resulting in them being killed.

You might disagree with this, but you're around these discussions long enough to know the premise behind this viewpoint and that this is the foundation of the BLM protests which you've said you abhor.

Race wasn't brought up in the trial. I wonder why? Maybe because there is zero evidence that there was a racial aspect to this incident?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Race wasn't brought up in the trial. I wonder why? Maybe because there is zero evidence that there was a racial aspect to this incident?

or perhaps because they couldn't prove it beyond a reasonable so relied on the considerable amount of evidence they had for murder?

or perhaps because they couldn't prove it beyond a reasonable so relied on the considerable amount of evidence they had for murder?

Or perhaps there wasn't a shred of evidence.

By the way, they wouldn't have to prove a racial element beyond a reasonable doubt, they only had to do that with the murder charge.

Or perhaps there wasn't a shred of evidence.

By the way, they wouldn't have to prove a racial element beyond a reasonable doubt, they only had to do that with the murder charge.

who knows which of us is right. it made no difference to the outcome. the murdering scumbag is locked up and may never see a blue sky again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The old argument of blacks being killed by the cops more frequently than whites has been debunked countless times

here is another stats

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

• Advertisement

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The old argument of blacks being killed by the cops more frequently than whites has been debunked countless times

here is another stats

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

you posted absolute numbers that are totally meaningless. that is a really poor effort on your part. Find the per 1000 population numbers and let us know what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

here is another stats

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117518813&postcount=3080

Again, numerically, but not proportionally. Black men are 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men.

Penn wrote: »

Again, numerically, but not proportionally. Black men are 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men.

According to the FBI, in 2019, 55.9% of homicide offenders were black. Black people represent way less than 55.9% of the population. They represent about 13.4% of the population. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

So, are black people more violent or more likely to commit homicide than other races? It's a legitimate question given those statistics.

And if that's the case, logic dictates that they would be more violent towards the police and that might explain why they are killed at a greater rate that white people.

According to the FBI, in 2019, 55.9% of homicide offenders were black. Black people represent way less than 55.9% of the population. They represent about 13.4% of the population. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

So, are black people more violent or more likely to commit homicide than other races? It's a legitimate question given those statistics.

And if that's the case, logic dictates that they would be more violent towards the police and that might explain why they are killed at a greater rate that white people.

I don't dispute that. It might also explain why police are more violent to and treat black people worse to begin with even when not under threat, which would indicate potential racial bias in their dealings with black people. Why they're quicker to draw or fire their guns at black people, why they're quicker to try and take down a black suspect than try to de-escalate situations. It might also indicate potential racial bias by Chauvin when dealing with Floyd, even though there was no obvious evidence which could be presented to support such in court.

Nonetheless, black people are more likely to be killed by police than white people.

what's the ratio of blacks being involved with crime compared to whites
    I'm sure there is a correlation with the deaths

what's the ratio of blacks being involved with crime compared to whites
    I'm sure there is a correlation with the deaths

You said;

Do you now agree based on the statistics that black people are more likely to be killed than white people?

You said;

Do you now agree based on the statistics that black people are more likely to be killed than white people?

No, as many said before

you need to look at the ratio of black v whites population, black v whites ratio of involvement with crime, brack v white ratio of killings by the cops

No, as many said before

you need to look at the ratio of black v whites population, black v whites ratio of involvement with crime, brack v white ratio of killings by the cops

and you need to understand the difference between absolute numbers and per capita numbers. let us know when you figure that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

I can understand from just a human standpoint how a police officer might become jaded towards black people if all they do day in day out is run up on predominantly black gang bangers in some inner city area. It's still not any kind of excuse, though, if that officer uses excessive force against someone due to an acquired prejudice.

and you need to understand the difference between absolute numbers and per capita numbers. let us know when you figure that out.

since logic isnt your strongest skill, see below for more details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

here is another stats

It has been pointed out to you many times as to the misrepresentation your post is given the comparative size of black populations versus white.

I've seen your weak attempt to suggest 'involvement in crime' as some sort of collary but your possibly being deliberately effusive there as well.

Is someone 'involved in crime' if police officers suspect them to be so? Because if so that's just part of the same prejudicial viewpoint that this whole thing is about.

since logic isnt your strongest skill, see below for more details

My logic is grand thanks. yours on the other hand ...

is nonsense you have keep reposting in the hope that repetition might make it true.

No, as many said before

As you said before

You then posted a link to a page which had a graph showing only the numerical figures of people killed by police, by race. However, a link on that page brings you to this other graph, which shows the rate (not number) of fatal police shootings by ethnicity. It shows that black people, per million, are almost 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white people.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1123070/police-shootings-rate-ethnicity-us/

So again, do you now agree based on the statistics that black people are more likely to be killed than white people?

No need to ask the same question over and over, it's been answered pretty well already pages ago
    if the crime rate is high in a specific ethnic group, then the killing by the police rate will be higher too

No need to ask the same question over and over, it's been answered pretty well already pages ago
    if the crime rate is high in a specific ethnic group, then the killing by the police rate will be higher too

It seems I did need to keep asking the question over and over, because what you're saying now is the complete opposite of your post I keep quoting.

But fair enough, no point discussing further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Expand on that if you will.

What part do I need to expand on, the hypocrisy is obvious... Posters go out of their way to provide excuses for US police officers that they'd never give for RUC officers who acted the same way. Similarly, key parts of the Good Friday agreement voted overwhelmingly by the Irish people align with demands of anti-police protesters in the US - who some here claim are 'crazy' demands that would end civilisation as we know it.

Take the below (I'm not calling the poster here hypocritical as I haven't seen them post some of the disgusting stuff you and others come out with).
    briany wrote: »
    I can understand from just a human standpoint how a police officer might become jaded towards black people if all they do day in day out is run up on predominantly black gang bangers in some inner city area. It's still not any kind of excuse, though, if that officer uses excessive force against someone due to an acquired prejudice.

Imagine making the statement on boards or any pub in Ireland that from a human standpoint how an RUC officer who had just been sentenced to murder of an unarmed Catholic person for choking them to death for 9 minutes might have justifiably become jaded towards the Catholic community in the north given the terrorism, crime, and violence coming from that community.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    What part do I need to expand on, the hypocrisy is obvious... Posters go out of their way to provide excuses for US police officers that they'd never give for RUC officers who acted the same way. Similarly, key parts of the Good Friday agreement voted overwhelmingly by the Irish people align with demands of anti-police protesters in the US - who some here claim are 'crazy' demands that would end civilisation as we know it.

Take the below (I'm not calling the poster here hypocritical as I haven't seen them post some of the disgusting stuff you and others come out with).

Imagine making the statement on boards or any pub in Ireland that from a human standpoint how an RUC officer who had just been sentenced to murder of an unarmed Catholic person for choking them to death for 9 minutes might have justifiably become jaded towards the Catholic community in the north given the terrorism, crime, and violence coming from that community.

I'm sorry foxtrol, I can't in good conscience engage with you further until you tell me what "disgusting stuff" I come out with.

These types of baseless and insulting statements need to be challenged as it seems to be a go to tactic in order to dismiss a differing opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm sorry foxtrol, I can't in good conscience engage with you further until you tell me what "disgusting stuff" I come out with.

These types of baseless and insulting statements need to be challenged as it seems to be a go to tactic in order to dismiss a differing opinion.

Just yesterday you called BLM protesters 'racist thugs'. Would you label all catholic protesters in the north during troubles 'thugs' due to the actions of a minority who regularly turned protests violent? Some Bloody Sunday protesters were throwing rocks at police - were all those protesters also 'thugs'? I'd call those kind of statements disgusting.

Yeah right. You just happened to ask a leading question. Entirely innocent like.

Eh no. No I didn't.
    I asked a simple question which seems to have upset you unduly.

You're coming across as very emotional in this and most of your other replies to posters.

• Advertisement

is nonsense you have keep reposting in the hope that repetition might make it true.

Actually, I posted that line only once, but it got replicated countless times today alone. I must have said something right

Advertisement