Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Where are you seeing that it was the 5th club?

I am familiar with the case and the individuals involved, one of the clubs wasnt even in Tipp!

Cashel will regret this big time and there is already a massive divide within the club over it and they havent even lined out for them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I am familiar with the case and the individuals involved, one of the clubs wasnt even in Tipp!

Cashel will regret this big time and there is already a massive divide within the club over it and they havent even lined out for them yet.

I'd heard boherlahan were sounded out but what were the others?

Hopefully the lads can get back to playing hurling, fancy Cashel to be competitive in the west this year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭1373

I think this is a lazy assumption about young players. We'd have had an exodus a long time ago if this was the case. Plus if it was a case of moving for medals, they could do a lot better than Cashel who has more traditionally been an oval ball town aside from a purple patch in the 80s/90s

It’s not lazy, it’s the way it is now. My own club have had players come and players go , it’s not a big deal anymore. Only difference here is the numbers involved. If a fringe player left our club,while disappointing, it would be accepted. If an inter county player asked to transfer, I don’t think it would be so smooth

I'd heard boherlahan were sounded out but what were the others?

Hopefully the lads can get back to playing hurling, fancy Cashel to be competitive in the west this year.

One other mid tipp club and one in the south, the other was a Limerick club.

It's one thing saying that it will be great to see them back playing, but what about the 5 Cashel lads who have given all their career to their own club and will now be cast aside for 5 outsiders, are the Brownes/Ryans more important because they have represented Tipp?

It's one thing saying that it will be great to see them back playing, but what about the 5 Cashel lads who have given all their career to their own club and will now be cast aside for 5 outsiders, are the Brownes/Ryans mor. e important because they have represented Tipp?

Well, another way of looking at it maybe the competition will be more intense and it could bring Cashel on another 10%. Better players around you make a better panel. What i would be afraid of is that it may not work out for the lads and they may not be able to go back.

Look, its a meritocracy at the end of the day and you might think local lads should get preference but there is no hesitation from local lads to tell other local lads if they dont deem them good enough. Moving to other clubs not a big thing. Christy Ring moved from Cloyne to the Glen in Cork, Liam Devanney moved to The Sars from Borrisilleagh. its nothing new.

if you foster a good culture within a club they will stay forever. Just ask Loughmore.

• Advertisement

1373 wrote: »
    It’s not lazy, it’s the way it is now. My own club have had players come and players go , it’s not a big deal anymore. Only difference here is the numbers involved. If a fringe player left our club,while disappointing, it would be accepted. If an inter county player asked to transfer, I don’t think it would be so smooth

And this is why I take no notice of the whole 'representing the parish/brotherhood' nonsense. It's mere fluff. If you are the family you claim you are, then no one will want to leave

It's one thing saying that it will be great to see them back playing, but what about the 5 Cashel lads who have given all their career to their own club and will now be cast aside for 5 outsiders, are the Brownes/Ryans more important because they have represented Tipp?

But players transfer all the time, I myself transferred twice before hanging up the hurley. Clubs I joined were delighted and weren't too worried about one of their own having to sit on the bench.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

But players transfer all the time, I myself transferred twice before hanging up the hurley. Clubs I joined were delighted and weren't too worried about one of their own having to sit on the bench.

That's a fact. Players transfer all the time.

Clare next week.

Lohan is a clever buck. There was a season at UL, in his time there, where he played Forde at CB for UL (think it was 2014). He obviously likes a ball player there.

He stuck with Conlon despite criticism, and it worked.

It'll be interesting to see where he plays Kelly the next day. Amazing hurler. Lohan is putting together a good team there.

Hope to see a proactive game plan from Tipp that makes the opposition think the next day, especially post the water breaks, rather than our conservative and reactionary approach to what the opposition are doing, of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭farmerval

Strangely both teams looked very undercooked or not sharp today, considering most people would have thought they both had the perfect end to the league, both finishing out with strong wins over Tipp and Kilkenny.

Whatever way Tipp line out the next day I'll be nervous if Paidi is full back. I really think he's not made to be a full back.

It was funny watching the game today, very few goal chances, the Waterford half forward line was missing in action a lot, their full forward line never got going, never got a service, really strange game. The wides for both sides seemed to suck the life out of it all the time.

• Advertisement

farmerval wrote: »
    Very few goal chances, the Waterford half forward line was missing in action a lot, their full forward line never got going, never got a service, .

You'd have to credit Lohan and Clare for that. It's a good Clare half-back line.

As bad as Waterford were today I'm happy to be avoiding them, they really missed prunty, Barron and de burca.

Clare are decent but if we're going to be serious contenders then we really should be able to beat them with a few to spare. Hard to know if the week turnaround is a good thing or not. Something tells me that match will have benefitted them alot.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

As bad as Waterford were today I'm happy to be avoiding them, they really missed prunty, Barron and de burca.

Clare are decent but if we're going to be serious contenders then we really should be able to beat them with a few to spare. Hard to know if the week turnaround is a good thing or not. Something tells me that match will have benefitted them alot.

Certainly will have given them confidence and momentum.

I have to say, I really like the shape Lohan has put on his team. There's a vast difference to that team to the Clare team of 2019.

Normally you would have said before today's game that whoever won the preliminary round would come on for having the game. With the league finishing so late and both of today's teams finishing the league well, you would have expected two really sharp teams, instead they both looked like they hadn't played in weeks.

The Tipp team will be interesting, should indicate what way management are thinking. You'd possibly expect;

Barry Hogan

Barrett at 2
    Paidi at 3???
    Barry Heff at 4
    Brendan at 5
    Seamus Kennedy at 6
    Ronan at 7
    Midfield Breen and Flynn

Half line
    Dan Mc
    Noel McGrath
    Jake Morris

Full line;
    Bubbles
    Jason Forde
    John McGrath

Assuming that Niall O Meara is not fit.

Leaves Seamie on the bench, could as easily be John McGrath
    Brian McGrath and Eoin Connolly and Craig Morgan defensive subs

Willie Connors, Paddy Cadell as midfield subs

Mark Keogh, Seamie, Paul Flynn, Dylan Quirke as forward subs.

(I assume I am forgetting someone)

farmerval wrote: »
    Normally you would have said before today's game that whoever won the preliminary round would come on for having the game. With the league finishing so late and both of today's teams finishing the league well, you would have expected two really sharp teams, instead they both looked like they hadn't played in weeks.

The Tipp team will be interesting, should indicate what way management are thinking. You'd possibly expect;

Barry Hogan

Barrett at 2
    Paidi at 3???
    Barry Heff at 4
    Brendan at 5
    Seamus Kennedy at 6
    Ronan at 7
    Midfield Breen and Flynn

Half line
    Dan Mc
    Noel McGrath
    Jake Morris

Full line;
    Bubbles
    Jason Forde
    John McGrath

Assuming that Niall O Meara is not fit.

Leaves Seamie on the bench, could as easily be John McGrath
    Brian McGrath and Eoin Connolly and Craig Morgan defensive subs

Willie Connors, Paddy Cadell as midfield subs

Mark Keogh, Seamie, Paul Flynn, Dylan Quirke as forward subs.

(I assume I am forgetting someone)

I can't see Seamie not starting.
    O'Meara is out.
    Someone posted that Bubbles is out on here, but I didn't hear that. I'v heard different.
    I heard Ray McCormack is flying but doubt he'll get a look in at this stage.
    i think Dan and Cadell might be in midfield.
    As for what the half forward line will be, who knows. It's a real problem area. And Clare look very strong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Amazed if seamie didn't start. Being captain doesn't make him undroppable or anything but i don't think he got all those minutes in our last 3 league games for nothing, i think jake is the one who might not start, though could depend on fitness of bubbles.

It was strange how Waterford left John Conlon so free during yesterday's game. Late in the first half he made a couple of great catches on Waterford puck outs, but for lots of the game he was sweeping in acres of space. His ball delivery was great.

The funny thing with Tipp after the League is that we had no apparent attacking shape or strategy, in most games we tried different defensive shapes alright but we kept whatever attacking strategy we might have under wraps.

The likes of Jake and Jason were moved around quite a bit. I see both as inside line forwards but they spent a good bit of time on the half line and Jake did a stint of two in midfield.

I'd like to see Paddy Cadell start but I don't believe it will happen. Niall O Meara is a loss. I think without him we might miss having a player that gets lots of touches. After great cameos in 2019 I thought Willie Connors might get there, but he had a really poor league.

If we have Breen and Flynn midfield if they're not going well they don't get on enough ball, often the game can pass them by.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Liam Devanney moved to The Sars from Borrisilleagh. its nothing new.

Was that not one of the Kenny's?

This would be my team for Clare - 4 midfielders - two defensive 2 holding
    3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 formation

Hogan - don't mind which one
    Barrett - Paidie - Heffernan
    Brendan - Kennedy - Ronan
    Dan - Caddel
    Breen - Noel
    John McGrath - Seamie
    Conners - Forde

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This would be my team for Clare - 4 midfielders - two defensive 2 holding
    3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 formation

Hogan - don't mind which one
    Barrett - Paidie - Heffernan
    Brendan - Kennedy - Ronan
    Dan - Caddel
    Breen - Noel
    John McGrath - Seamie
    Conners - Forde

Would agree with a lot of that. For me Barry is miles ahead of Brian in pretty every facet of his game and should definitely get the nod.

I would start Flynn ahead of Cadell - Cadell was briliant for one half of hurling and was septic for at least a game and a half - I think he will be a big player for us but is just not ready yet, needs to work on his weaker side and his speed of hurling. Great attitude and ability though and will be a very important player for Tipp.

I would definitely start Bubbles as well, we are so much better when Bubbles is on form, so Bubbles in for Conners for me - whoever starts midfield will not last the full 70 mins anyway so Conners is a great man off the bench.

I have seen a number of people raise concerns over Padraic Maher v Shannagher and I have to say I don't share those concerns at all. Yesterday the Clare half back line were given so much room and space that Conlon had 30 secs every time to look up and pick out Shannagher, Shannagher was marking a rookie FB who was only there because of injuries and Shannagher scored a grand total of zero, he came closer to hitting himself than hitting the target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp 77

Would agree with a lot of that. For me Barry is miles ahead of Brian in pretty every facet of his game and should definitely get the nod.

I would start Flynn ahead of Cadell - Cadell was briliant for one half of hurling and was septic for at least a game and a half - I think he will be a big player for us but is just not ready yet, needs to work on his weaker side and his speed of hurling. Great attitude and ability though and will be a very important player for Tipp.

I would definitely start Bubbles as well, we are so much better when Bubbles is on form, so Bubbles in for Conners for me - whoever starts midfield will not last the full 70 mins anyway so Conners is a great man off the bench.

I have seen a number of people raise concerns over Padraic Maher v Shannagher and I have to say I don't share those concerns at all. Yesterday the Clare half back line were given so much room and space that Conlon had 30 secs every time to look up and pick out Shannagher, Shannagher was marking a rookie FB who was only there because of injuries and Shannagher scored a grand total of zero, he came closer to hitting himself than hitting the target.

The big decision is who picks up Tony Kelly. I'd have Barry Heffernan sticking to him like glue. Paidi could take Shannagher then

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    The big decision is who picks up Tony Kelly. I'd have Barry Heffernan sticking to him like glue. Paidi could take Shannagher then

Brendan for me.

I don't think they will play Kelly inside again, that was designed to prevent Lyons from bursting up the field and Waterford fell for it hook, line and sinker.

A bit like Waterford learnt yesterday, you have to have a plan a, b and c. Heffernan has done the role very well previously, Brendan has always been used a nullifier and Barret is a brilliant corner back, we have plenty of options I think to cover where ever he plays. He is some player to be fair to him and very versatile.

A lot of rain forecast for Sunday in Limerick at around 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Nice to see Kevin Hanley on the SuperValu advertisement, nobody goes to more Tipp matches than that man.

Would it be worth shoving Dan on Conlon and tell him to stick to him like glue?

formerlyET wrote: »
    Would it be worth shoving Dan on Conlon and tell him to stick to him like glue?

No, we just need to make him defend, get him turned and running back, that's where we'll look to expose him imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No, we just need to make him defend, get him turned and running back, that's where we'll look to expose him imo.

Yeah, you're right. Constant running into corners. But I'd imagine with the amount of forwards Clare bring back to plug space, Clare will come up with something to have Conlan free to pick up ball and not mark anyone. Might be worth having a plan B.

Yeah, you're right. Constant running into corners. But I'd imagine with the amount of forwards Clare bring back to plug space, Clare will come up with something to have Conlan free to pick up ball and not mark anyone. Might be worth having a plan B.

Conlon wont be able to afford to do that with the likes of Noel McGrath and Seamie around, Waterford were too rigid and refused to deviate from their running through the lines approach - the best way to counter a deep lying half back line is to pop over handy points from distance.

Conlon wont be able to afford to do that with the likes of Noel McGrath and Seamie around, Waterford were too rigid and refused to deviate from their running through the lines approach - the best way to counter a deep lying half back line is to pop over handy points from distance.

True, but the wide count will have to be a lot better than it was in most of the league games.

That said, Clare probbaly won't set up like they did against Waterford - they might adopt a running through the lines game. With Tony Kelly out around midfield - in a free role and O'Donnell in at full forward.

• Advertisement

True, but the wide count will have to be a lot better than it was in most of the league games.

That said, Clare probbaly won't set up like they did against Waterford - they might adopt a running through the lines game. With Tony Kelly out around midfield - in a free role and O'Donnell in at full forward.

That was the one big positive from our final league game, our shooting was the best it had been for a long time.

Will O'Donnell be available I wonder - have heard that it is a very serious injury and he is still in a bad way, if he plays I would imagine it would be on the wing, Shanagher literally cant play anywhere other than Full Forward.

I would agree about Kelly, I think he will be out around the middle for most if not all the game. Lohan got things spot on against Waterford but they had months to plan for it and Waterford very foolishly in my opinion showed far too much in the last two league games, they have had only a week to think about Tipp and they probably have no idea how Tipp will line out from 8-15

Advertisement