Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Flinty997 wrote: »
    In that case they are illegally parked, because the OP says its dangerous.

Anyone can claim a lot of bollox. I’m not saying the OP is, but your argument makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Anyone can claim a lot of bollox. I’m not saying the OP is, but your argument makes no sense.

Wasn't my argument. Its the law apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

OP is the rest of your street empty and they park right outside your house? Or is it a busy street and if they didn't park there someone else would? They are legally allowed park on the road but if there's loads of space and yet they park right outside your house I could understand being a little annoyed about it. However chances are if its a busy enough road your going to have cars parked there regardless of if they are your neighbours or not.

Consider as others have suggested adding a mirror to help or if it truly dangerous contact the council and ask they review the road for double yellow lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

This is not correct. This post is about parking in a public place, so Tax, Insurance and NCT are all required.

I'll bet it'd last there for quite a long time before anyone could be arsed to report it let alone the authorities to give a toss and send someone out to tow it.

Just need to be smart about what name you register it in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In that case they are illegally parked, because the OP says its dangerous.

Which is the complete opposite of what you said earlier!

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Which is the complete opposite of what you said earlier!

No before I was talking about something that was legal, could become dangerous if conditions change. You decided to ignore that just be pedantic about a truism, the law is the law etc. Rather than getting into that irrelevance, I can simply take the OP at face value that its dangerous.

In this case there are two parties. One thinks its dangerous, the other does not. (or doesn't care). Neither is the arbiter of what's dangerous. Only people who can dictate that are Garda, or the local authority. So hence put it to them. Local authority is (arguably) less confrontational than the Garda. Let them decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Stanford wrote: »
    Perhaps but I have never seen a camera on a car which shows 180 degrees

They all have them now.
    Some even have 360 degree cameras.

No before I was talking about something that was legal, could become dangerous if conditions change. You decided to ignore that just be pedantic about a truism, the law is the law etc. Rather than getting into that irrelevance, I can simply take the OP at face value that its dangerous.

In this case there are two parties. One thinks its dangerous, the other does not. (or doesn't care). Neither is the arbiter of what's dangerous. Only people who can dictate that are Garda, or the local authority. So hence put it to them. Local authority is (arguably) less confrontational than the Garda. Let them decide.

More waffle; what you stated was quite clear and patently incorrect. Quoted below:

“Legal doesn't exclude the possiblity that's it's dangerous.

Are you saying you'd prefer it to remain dangerous.”

I live in a housing estate which has a busy road running thru it, my next door neighbours house owns four cars and two of them are constantly parked on the public roadway outside my driveway at either side of my entrance gate, these block my view of traffic on the road as I enter or leave my driveway. While I accept that nobody has the right to exclusively park outside their driveway on the public road, I feel that these cars are obstructing my view and are a danger, I have brought this up with my neighbour but to no satisfaction, I feel they should have considered where they were going to park four cars before they bought them, any advice please? There are no road markings and the neighbour is a difficult person to deal with.

Its probably not as dangerous as you think. Just a bit of care and attention required when exiting your driveway, as you should have whether cars parked on the road or not.
    So many places have similar parking habits and yet there are really not too many accidents because people take care when driving.

Marcusm wrote: »
    More waffle; what you stated was quite clear and patently incorrect. Quoted below:

“Legal doesn't exclude the possiblity that's it's dangerous.

Are you saying you'd prefer it to remain dangerous.”

Obviously sore point for people with parking issues.

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Its probably not as dangerous as you think. Just a bit of care and attention required when exiting your driveway, as you should have whether cars parked on the road or not.
    So many places have similar parking habits and yet there are really not too many accidents because people take care when driving.

Makes you wonder why they needed to create rule in the first place. People can just be careful.

Makes you wonder why they needed to create rule in the first place. People can just be careful.

Yeah, funny how many people dont get into accidents coming out of their driveways with neighbors cars parked on the road. They must be being careful.
    You should speak to the gardai. Maybe you can get a commission on writhing tickets on the 10s of thousands of cases of parking outside your house.

I was curious and it seems when you Google it there have been a few cases in the papers where Judges or Garda decided it was dangerous and directed people not to park in certain places. Every location is different. So it's not all one way. (unrealistic to assume it would be I guess).

If the OP makes any progress they should report back. Be curious to know how it all works out.

Don't use a forklift like that farmer did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Is it actually dangerous or is it more inconvenient? If it’s actually dangerous you can approach the council about placing parking restrictions on the road but to be honest, as it’s not a main road and in an estate, it will be an uphill battle I’d say!

Also why are people saying a car has to be insured to be parked on a road? Where did that notion come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Jequ0n wrote: »
    It's also the norm for adult children to move out and live independently when they are able to own and maintain a car.

OP you need to get a grip and improve your parking skills

As the OP I'm not sure what I did to deserve this abuse, there is nothing wrong with my parking skiils, the issue is one of traffic visability and road safety, why the personal criticism?

Obviously sore point for people with parking issues.

I have no parking issues.

MacDanger wrote: »
    OP, what reasonable option do you think they could take which would resolve your problem?

Firstly they can fit two cars in their driveway, however, if only one car is parked in the driveway they will still leave two cars parked on the road, even if the driveway is empty they make no effort to park the surplus cars off the road, its a matter of having a little consideration for others

ztoical wrote: »
    OP is the rest of your street empty and they park right outside your house? Or is it a busy street and if they didn't park there someone else would? They are legally allowed park on the road but if there's loads of space and yet they park right outside your house I could understand being a little annoyed about it. However chances are if its a busy enough road your going to have cars parked there regardless of if they are your neighbours or not.

Consider as others have suggested adding a mirror to help or if it truly dangerous contact the council and ask they review the road for double yellow lines.

With the exception of occasional visitors and delivery vehicles, all other residents park in their driveways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭dublin49

hard to believe up to 10 pages,its very simple ,you may have an unique situation with regard to visibility ,and I don't doubt you feel your neighbour should be more considerate etc etc ,but a lot of house holders have unique circumstances and unfortunately the state cannot legislate for every particular circumstance so really you are on your own, lots of time in traffic I find the need to edge out slowly into the line of on coming traffic but there is no way round it.Its seem harsh but theres not a house in Ireland with a driveway that could not say the same as you to some extent .Hard cases make bad law.

• Advertisement

...its a matter of having ... little consideration for others...

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

As the OP I'm not sure what I did to deserve this abuse, there is nothing wrong with my parking skiils, the issue is one of traffic visability and road safety, why the personal criticism?

Go ahead then and get Garda advise on the matter which is obviously your right to do. The only times I have ever encountered issues like this is from people who are set in their ways and despise others upsetting their routine, or if they genuinely did not know (or claimed not to be able) to park more proficiently.

Best of luck, but you seem to be against practical advice like cameras and mirrors, so your only hope seems to be a route that might sour the relationship with your neighbours. Though it doesn’t seem like there is much to lose there anyway

Nothing you can do, my neighbour is renting a room, the guy doesn't park outside the house where there is space but outside mine. The driveway can take 2 cars and the owner is hardly there. So he parks outside mine with loads of space outside where he is renting and the driveway is empty. Unfortunately you just have to suck it up as annoying as it can be, we don't own the road outside our house

Nothing you can do, my neighbour is renting a room, the guy doesn't park outside the house where there is space but outside mine. The driveway can take 2 cars and the owner is hardly there. So he parks outside mine with loads of space outside where he is renting and the driveway is empty. Unfortunately you just have to suck it up as annoying as it can be, we don't own the road outside our house

Depends. If it's dangerous. They will paint double yellows. End of problem.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/warning-over-parking-obstruction-27792083.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They don't normally paint double lines outside random house unless it's near a corner
    The law is anyone can park on a public road unless there's parking restrictions or double yellow lines
    Eg someone 10 houses away could park outside your house
    I so no solution here if talking to your neighbour does not work
    Only the local authority or Gardai have authority over a public road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

Buy an ice-cream van and park it outside their house

Turn the jingle on full every nite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Terry.. wrote: »
    Buy an ice-cream van and park it outside their house

Turn the jingle on full every nite

Great idea for a next door neighbour.

OP, just park on the road yourself, they'll have to move one of their cars and might get the hint that it's actually an issue for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was in court once and this exact issue came up in front of the judge. An alarm installer parked his van on the road while his car was parked in his driveway. A neighbour had brought this guy to court saying she almost had two accidents because the van blocked her view of the road.
    After hearing both sides the judge told the alarm fitter to go outside for 5 minutes and decide what he wanted to do, because if he persisted with leaving the van out on the road causing a danger he was going to lose his license.
    Yer man came back in with his tail between his legs and promised to park the van in the drive in future. Maybe this is your course of action?
    Or at the very least go to the Garda station and make a complaint.
    Ok, about 3 people have questioned my account of what I saw in court.
    Firstly I came on here to contribute and say I witnessed a similar dispute between neighbours and thought it might help the OP or anyone else in a similar situation with dick neighbours.
    And secondly I don't know how she brought him to court specifically or whether it was a civil or criminal matter or what the judge can legally do in these situations.
    Sometimes on boards someone normal comes on and recounts what they saw or heard.
    Honestly, sorry for helping or trying to contribute, better off leaving it to you experts I suppose.
    Late for work, caught driving down a bus lane.
    Caught bang to rights :D

columbo1signed.jpg?zoom=2

Just one more thing, Mr Littlehorny sir, why were you in court when it was a FPN for being in the bus lane :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

GingerLily wrote: »
    Great idea for a next door neighbour.

OP, just park on the road yourself, they'll have to move one of their cars and might get the hint that it's actually an issue for you!
    I would do this too & face in the direction when leaving the estate, however the OP would only have a 20% chance of getting the space whereas the good old neighbour will have an 80% chance at all times. I would still rub it up their noses to do that. It would be interesting to see if they park outside your driveway (if no parking anywhere else) to cause confrontation:rolleyes:

Advertisement