Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Parking

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

A simple solution would be to park your car there instead and just leave your driveway free.

Then you won't have the problem. Maybe they'll pick a new unused spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Fils wrote: »
    Did you ever see the vision a 180 degree camera gives you?

Yes. And 360. I still trust my eyes more as I can move my head too.
    In every conceivable way it’s safer to reverse in and drive out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Stanford wrote: »
    Firstly they can fit two cars in their driveway, however, if only one car is parked in the driveway they will still leave two cars parked on the road, even if the driveway is empty they make no effort to park the surplus cars off the road, its a matter of having a little consideration for others

So if they have two parked on their own driveway, are you okay for them to park on the road? If not, what would you like them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

MacDanger wrote: »
    So if they have two parked on their own driveway, are you okay for them to park on the road? If not, what would you like them to do?

I assume park on the road not so near his driveway exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Imblue

Yes. And 360. I still trust my eyes more as I can move my head too.
    In every conceivable way it’s safer to reverse in and drive out.

On this point, from the RSS rules of the road.

• Advertisement

So District Court matters, definitely not a civil matter or injunction then.

Some civil matters are dealt with a District Court level, noise complaints between neighbours for example.

It's possible (but I accept unlikely) that the Court case mentioned earlier at District Court level was to do with anti-social behaviour. Anti social behaviour can be anything that (amongst other things) causes “Significant or persistent impairment of their use or enjoyment of their property”. I could see some circumstances where having a load of cars parked outside your house could lead to that definition being fulfilled, probably not in this instance though. If the neighbours were persistently blocking the OP's drive, for example, so he couldn't access his house.

Maybe the OP can convince a Garda that not being able to safely exit his property on a daily basis is a significant or persistent impairment on the use of his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It sounds like you can exit your driveway safely but you have to do so very slowly so as to check for traffic on the road
    and it depends on the size of the cars
    Does it make a difference if the are parked on one side of your entrance eg
    2 cars parked on the left
    Or is it all the same
    Does he park them on one side or both sides
    Eg one car on the right of the entrance
    One on the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Also OP can you clarify what the speed limit of the road you are coming out onto, is it a public road or an estate owned road. If its a public road you might be able to get an engineer to demonstrate your sight lines as you exit your drive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Slick666

I moved into a rented house a few years ago and I learned the neighbour on the left of us was an old nag!! On my first week, I came home from work and there were no space in the drive so I parked in front of her house (not blocking any entrance, Id never do that). 5 mins later the doorbell rang and I answered - the look of fury on her face. She said can we not park in front of her house. She said she never had issues with any of the other renters in the years gone by and she'd like to keep it that way and could I move my car!! I was so shocked I couldn't speak!!! I basically just nodded my head and genuflected as she left!! (well not genuflected but she made me feel that way). So I never dared park there again. But the funny thing was when she had guests over or her grown up children were visiting they parked in front of our house!! I couldn't believe it but I didn't say anything to her again. Didn't want to cause another ruckus. This doesn't answer the OP's question I know but just sharing a story about something similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I did the old widening trick and stuck it to him.
    Worked out great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some people don't know the law, anyone can park on a public road as long as they do not block your entrance, most people will not park outside their neighbour if there's a parking space outside their own house
    My neighbour parks outside my house he has 2 cars
    I don't care as I have no car

Slick666 wrote: »
    I moved into a rented house a few years ago and I learned the neighbour on the left of us was an old nag!! On my first week, I came home from work and there were no space in the drive so I parked in front of her house (not blocking any entrance, Id never do that). 5 mins later the doorbell rang and I answered - the look of fury on her face. She said can we not park in front of her house. She said she never had issues with any of the other renters in the years gone by and she'd like to keep it that way and could I move my car!! I was so shocked I couldn't speak!!! I basically just nodded my head and genuflected as she left!! (well not genuflected but she made me feel that way). So I never dared park there again. But the funny thing was when she had guests over or her grown up children were visiting they parked in front of our house!! I couldn't believe it but I didn't say anything to her again. Didn't want to cause another ruckus. This doesn't answer the OP's question I know but just sharing a story about something similar!

You should never have moved it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

I always thought the following legislation was to prevent such case the OP described. So if the OP is having issues, he really should be reversing into his driveway ??

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html
    (2) A driver shall not reverse on to a major road from another road, or whenever his vision is such that to reverse would be likely to endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

drogon. wrote: »
    I always thought the following legislation was to prevent such case the OP described. So if the OP is having issues, he really should be reversing into his driveway ?

That would help the OP but if they are parked dangerously it's still dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

if you feel its a safety issue raise it with the Local Authority in writing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

drogon. wrote: »
    I always thought the following legislation was to prevent such case the OP described. So if the OP is having issues, he really should be reversing into his driveway ??

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html

the OP would be reversing from the driveway of his home onto a private residential road.
    Absolutely nothing whatsoever in the statute saying you cannot reverse from your driveway onto your residential road - otherwise tens of thousand of motorists would be committing offences day in day out.

Frankly I don't think there's anything the op can do. It is unlikely that the neighbour cars are parked dangerously unless they are parked within 5m of a junction. It is also very unlikely that the cars are blocking the op's driveway as then the op would be unable to access their drive.

I really think the op had an irrational expectation of entitlement that someone else car cannot be parked outside his house on a public street.

If the OP thinks they cannot reverse safely out onto the road, then the simplest solution (and far safer in any case) is to reverse in. But the OP probably does not want this dreadfully easy solution and wants to continue with their little petty war with the neighbour.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have neighbours parking their cars outside my house then strangers. At least if there is a day where they are a little too close, you know whose door to knock on.

I've a friend who lives within sight of a Luas station. They have awful issues with commuters parking on their road, all day, every day. But, like that, they've been told that no one owns the space outside their house and once they are not causing an obstruction to the driveway, there is not much can be done about it, though the RA are trying to get the council involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Darc19 wrote: »
    the OP would be reversing from the driveway of his home onto a private residential road.
    Absolutely nothing whatsoever in the statute saying you cannot reverse from your driveway onto your residential road - otherwise tens of thousand of motorists would be committing offences day in day out.

At risk of going slightly off topic, thousands of motorists ARE committing offences, day in, day out. 98% of motorists break urban speed limits according to the RSA Speed Survey. The majority of motorists use their phones while driving.

Committing offences is not a novelty for the vast majority of motorists.

I've a friend who lives within sight of a Luas station. They have awful issues with commuters parking on their road, all day, every day. But, like that, they've been told that no one owns the space outside their house and once they are not causing an obstruction to the driveway, there is not much can be done about it, though the RA are trying to get the council involved.

If there is concensus in the area, DLR will put in pay and display parking with permits for residents in such circumstances, though it can be difficult to reach broad agreement. This is a significant deterrent to all day commuter parking.

If there is concensus in the area, DLR will put in pay and display parking with permits for residents in such circumstances, though it can be difficult to reach broad agreement. This is a significant deterrent to all day commuter parking.

Who is DLR?

• Advertisement

Who is DLR?

Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown I assume...

Different area, not under Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.

Different area, not under Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.

Worth checking if the relevant Council, DCC presumably, will do the same.

Worth checking if the relevant Council, DCC presumably, will do the same.

According to my friend, it's been going on for a long time and the local residents association have tried but the local authority haven't taken any action.

That's all I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

I have a major problem with the way my neighbour parks. They have plenty of room to park but insist on parking on my tail every time they park up. They have ample room to move up a little bit. They are so close neither I nor them can open our boots without problems. I've even witnessed them trying to get stuff out of their boot barely able to open it and rubbing off my car in the process. I've even observed them trying to open their boot and their door has caught on my back wiper on several occasions.

The problem is that I am forced to park where the road narrows quite a bit as a result of this persons obsession with parking on top of me. Their parking can therefore cause me to cause an obstruction if another car parks opposite mine and not even badly at that. There is no point talking to this person as they will not listen. All the neighbours can see what's happening and are quite sympathetic towards me. I would never dream of asking them to get involved as I certainly do not want to be responsible for causing a huge row in the neighbourhood. My car is getting scratched in the process both by them at the back and the side from people trying to get up and down the road.

Before anyone says find somewhere else to park there is nowhere else. It is always a very busy road near a university and there is never anywhere else to park.

Any sensible ideas on what I could do in this situation?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Likethewind

Could you look at installing a tow bar or bike rack to physically stop them from parking so close to you?

Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider that but I don't want to put hitches or anything else on a relatively new (2 years old) car which I will be trading in the next year or so.

Besides with the cost of fuel at the moment, these things add to fuel consumption when I'm out driving. What I did look into is getting some sort of alarm that will ring loudly or speak loudly when they park so close. It might shame them into parking more considerately when they eventually cop that it is them setting it off and they are drawing attention to themselves. However I haven't had much luck in finding something like that.

For now I'm deliberately not getting the car washed hoping they will get sick of having to wash their clothes everytime they rub off my filthy car 😀

No driveway you can use? How about parking other way round, so you have clear access to your boot at the other side?

Unfortunately no driveway. I could do that but then the front will end up getting scratched as well. Another major and valid concern I have about their manner of parking is if their brakes failed. It would shunt my car down the street into a whole pile of other cars. They have an oldish (14 years) car so if anything happened it would be cheap for them to get a replacement. They don't maintain it very well either which makes me very nervous about brakes or anything else failing. They do have a driveway but refuse to use it. They are general nuisance homeowner neighbours 🤐

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Sadly I've a pack of Lithuanians living next door to me.

Right now, Sunday 3.14pm there are 5 cars outside and one in the driveway awaiting a engine replacement which is happening now, this will be the second car in two years getting a replacement engine. I can't wait until diesel and petrol engines are no more, or they just fcuk off.

Advertisement