Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Check if the cars all have valid tax, NCT, insurance discs on display, if not report them to Gardai. You can check NCT status at NCT.ie.

That's just pettiness. And the gardai won't be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,514 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

listermint wrote: »
    How is it arsehole to park cars outside you own house..

Let's say there are 4 adults in the house in a 2 vehicle driveway. What should they do. Leave the road clear outside in case the neighbour have visitors ? It's a public road.....

I moved to the country to get away from this nonsense. Pretend ownership of something you have no ownership over.

Maybe they should arrange their own storage space for their own private property instead of expecting society to subsidise their transport choices with free storage space? In Japan, you can't buy a car until you can prove that you have your own off-street storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Darc19 wrote: »
    That's just pettiness. And the gardai won't be interested.

No it's not, it's rules of the road and stopping some scrote taking advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No it's not, it's rules of the road and stopping some scrote taking advantage.

Now somehow they're scrotes and all they've done is parked legally on a public road.

You read some bizarre stuff on this site lol

M

Witcher wrote: »
    Now somehow they're scrotes and all they've done is parked legally on a public road.

You read some bizarre stuff on this site lol

I was only referring to those with no NCT, Insurance or tax. Anyone with legally displayed discs is welcome to park. Read what I posted :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Maybe they should arrange their own storage space for their own private property instead of expecting society to subsidise their transport choices with free storage space? In Japan, you can't buy a car until you can prove that you have your own off-street storage?

Oh, Japan no less :D not sure what relevance that has to this?!!

M

fullstop wrote: »
    Oh, Japan no less :D not sure what relevance that has to this?!!

I could potentially see this coming here, they are building apartment blocks with circa 80% parking spaces, the cars will be discarded around the neighbouring area, proper crooked planning unless it's linked to having a parking space when buying a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you can only park a vehicle (with any number of wheels) in space that you own, then you never be able to visit friends, for example. Unless there is a parking-space-rental facility close to their house. Which isn't likely in most suburbs.

Seriously. Society has always allowed parking of the current mode of transport ( horses and cart, bicycle, car, etc) on designated public space for damn good reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

Darc19 wrote: »
    As another poster said, reverse into your driveway.

Far far safer whether cars are parked on the road or not and once you get into the habit you will wonder why you didn't do it previously

As for neighbour parking. There is nothing you can do if there are no parking restrictions.

Reverse into driveway is correct.It is supposedly illegal to reverse onto a roadway.But cops/insurance would not be interested until there was an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Parking a trampoline at the side of the public road would be illegal.

Parking a taxed car, is not.

That may be true, but it does raise the question of why it's socially acceptable to buy one type of private property to store permanently in a public place, but not another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

beachhead wrote: »
    Reverse into driveway is correct.It is supposedly illegal to reverse onto a roadway.But cops/insurance would not be interested until there was an accident

Only illegal to reverse out onto the opposite side of the road and excludes residential estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That may be true, but it does raise the question of why it's socially acceptable to buy one type of private property to store permanently in a public place, but not another.

Presumably because one is a car and the other is a bouncy plaything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

You could park on the road across your own driveway. I don’t think it’s illegal to park across your own driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You could park on the road across your own driveway. I don’t think it’s illegal to park across your own driveway.

Better to park halfway across your own driveway because if they park too close to you ( blocking the other half of driveway) you can get them towed

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I had this issue with a neighbour who used to fix cars in his driveway and parked his own car outside my house, making it very difficult to see oncoming traffic, even edging out. He couldn’t give a ****e when I said it to him. We just paved over our front garden to make a double driveway so he can’t park in front of the house at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brian go

Your only answer is park your car out on the road outside your property .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd love a big trampoline but I live in an apartment. Maybe I should just park it on the street?

Alcohol induced contribution ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Na it's being a decent neighbour, w****r next door parks his Mercedes van outside my house obstructing my view completely coming out of my drive, he's an tosser no point in trying to talk to him, funny thing is I wouldn't dream of doing what he's doing ! Plenty room to park his van about 50 meters from his door but the lazy c*** couldn't be bothered to walk ! Played tit for tat, he didn't like it funny thing he thought I shouldn't be parking outside my own house ! ��

I was in court once and this exact issue came up in front of the judge. An alarm installer parked his van on the road while his car was parked in his driveway. A neighbour had brought this guy to court saying she almost had two accidents because the van blocked her view of the road.
    After hearing both sides the judge told the alarm fitter to go outside for 5 minutes and decide what he wanted to do, because if he persisted with leaving the van out on the road causing a danger he was going to lose his license.
    Yer man came back in with his tail between his legs and promised to park the van in the drive in future. Maybe this is your course of action?
    Or at the very least go to the Garda station and make a complaint.

I was in court once and this exact issue came up in front of the judge. An alarm installer parked his van on the road while his car was parked in his driveway. A neighbour had brought this guy to court saying she almost had two accidents because the van blocked her view of the road.
    After hearing both sides the judge told the alarm fitter to go outside for 5 minutes and decide what he wanted to do, because if he persisted with leaving the van out on the road causing a danger he was going to lose his license.
    Yer man came back in with his tail between his legs and promised to park the van in the drive in future. Maybe this is your course of action?

I don't know how a judge can threaten to remove someone's licence if they are parked legally? (anybody know?)

However, if this actually happened, the alarm installer probably now parks his van on the driveway and his car on the road, instead.

There was a taxi man who used to park his taxi on the public road directly between mine and my neighbour's house. (Two other family cars in his own driveway). Quite by accident, I found out he chose that spot because I have a security camera at the front and he was taking advantage of his taxi being covered by it! (The camera doesn't extend past the garden wall onto the public road, but he didn't know that). Once I told him it didn't, he stopped parking there. It didn't bother me, only on bin days when he wouldn't leave space for me to put my bin out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How did she bring him to court specifically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,514 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you can only park a vehicle (with any number of wheels) in space that you own, then you never be able to visit friends, for example. Unless there is a parking-space-rental facility close to their house. Which isn't likely in most suburbs.

Seriously. Society has always allowed parking of the current mode of transport ( horses and cart, bicycle, car, etc) on designated public space for damn good reasons.

1) There are other ways to travel to visit friends, other than using private cars.
    2) There are other places to park, other than on streets, such as shopping centres, pubs etc
    3) Of course there aren't any parking-space-rental facilities in the suburbs, because there isn't any demand for them, given that we choose to subsidise private car transport by providing free storage space for private property. But if we did change that law, how long do you think it would take for the rental spaces to start popping up?

Seriously, we both know there's no real chance of this happening, but let's just recognise the reality - that society subsidises private car transport with free storage space.
    Dav010 wrote: »
    Presumably because one is a car and the other is a bouncy plaything.
    So what? Why is it socially acceptable to store one particular type of private property on the the public street, and not your trampoline, or your hot tub, or your garden shed?
    listermint wrote: »
    Alcohol induced contribution ?...
    No.

Judges don't get to tell people what to do and how to behave. They get to prosecute people for particular offences. If a Garda brought a prosecution for illegal and dangerous parking, the judge would get to rule on whether the person would be convicted for the parking offence, but they don't get to tell them how to behave in the future.

In the very unlikely scenario of the neighbour taking a Court injunction against the alarm installer, that would be a civil matter in the High Court, not a criminal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

blackbox wrote: »
    I can understand it in older areas, but modern houses should be required to have more than two parking spaces. It is pretty much the norm now for adult children to have cars.

It's also the norm for adult children to move out and live independently when they are able to own and maintain a car.

OP you need to get a grip and improve your parking skills

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jequ0n wrote: »
    It's also the norm for adult children to move out and live independently when they are able to own and maintain a car.

OP you need to get a grip and improve your parking skills

Honestly this is a really unfair comment on the OP and definitely spoken by someone who has never had the situation.

Clearly it’s more a case of the OP resenting his neighbour doing it rather than it being a potential hazard, but I get it on both sides and don’t blame him for wanting to see if there’s anything he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Ok, about 3 people have questioned my account of what I saw in court.
    Firstly I came on here to contribute and say I witnessed a similar dispute between neighbours and thought it might help the OP or anyone else in a similar situation with dick neighbours.
    And secondly I don't know how she brought him to court specifically or whether it was a civil or criminal matter or what the judge can legally do in these situations.
    Sometimes on boards someone normal comes on and recounts what they saw or heard.
    Honestly, sorry for helping or trying to contribute, better off leaving it to you experts I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

From the sounds of it the neighbour is within his rights (although discourteous)

If the neighbour isn't amenable to discussion then a practical solution may be to apply to the local council for permission for a widened entrance (and associated dishing of pavement). Should the neighbour obstruct the widened driveway you could ask AGS to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Stanford wrote: »
    I live in a housing estate which has a busy road running thru it, ...

Get a petition going for the local authority to get double yellow lines on the road because parking on it is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

There was a discussion over on the legal forum where a judge was banning drivers for 2 weeks for something

Seemed off the wall but maybe judges can put people off the road for miscellaneous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Also, the council are unlikely to paint double yellow lines unless it actually is dangerous.

What they may do (if asked by the residents, normally via a residents association) is introduce permit parking. It happens around hospitals, dart stations etc where you have a lot of commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Funny thing about all this could generally be solved by smallest bit of consideration, but w*****s be w*****s, would not in all conscious park a big f*** off van on top of my neighbours drive ! But hey ho that's me ! Especially when there's other options 50 meters away that wouldn't impact on anybody

Park in the neighbours' drive.

• Advertisement

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Get a petition going for the local authority to get double yellow lines on the road because parking on it is dangerous.

That is an option, but be aware if you did this, no visitors to your home will be able to park outside when visiting you, and nor would any of your neighbours be able to have visitors park outside. It probably won't make you very popular on the road, and maybe even decrease the value of your property.

I know I wouldn't ever look at buying house that had double yellows on the road outside it.

Advertisement