Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And secondly I don't know how she brought him to court specifically or whether it was a civil or criminal matter or what the judge can legally do in these situations.
    What were you in court for that day - civil or criminal matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

What were you in court for that day - civil or criminal matter?

Late for work, caught driving down a bus lane.
    Caught bang to rights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

OP, do they have anywhere else they could park the car close by? Is their front garden big enough to fit another car if concreted in? What size vehicle is it they are parking there?

If they don't seem like the type that would key your car then maybe try parking yours across your driveway. They will soon find somewhere else. Investing in a dashcam that records when it senses movement may also be a good idea just in case they do try anything with your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

callaway92 wrote: »
    Honestly this is a really unfair comment on the OP and definitely spoken by someone who has never had the situation.

Clearly it’s more a case of the OP resenting his neighbour doing it rather than it being a potential hazard, but I get it on both sides and don’t blame him for wanting to see if there’s anything he can do.

True, and while I appreciate that this is inconvenient I can't see how this is a problem that would warrant the OP to go to the police as they are considering as a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

athlone573 wrote: »
    Also, the council are unlikely to paint double yellow lines unless it actually is dangerous.

Which is why they're such good suggestion: either it really is dangerous and it gets fixed, or the OP is a whiner who needs to get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jequ0n wrote: »
    True, and while I appreciate that this is inconvenient I can't see how this is a problem that would warrant the OP to go to the police as they are considering as a move.

He was just asking for advice though. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That is an option, but be aware if you did this, no visitors to your home will be able to park outside when visiting you, and nor would any of your neighbours be able to have visitors park outside. It probably won't make you very popular on the road, and maybe even decrease the value of your property.

I know I wouldn't ever look at buying house that had double yellows on the road outside it.

A lot of roads don't allow on street parking. It's far from unusual. You can always convert front garden to parking.

If it's dangerous it's dangerous.

A lot of new estates are designed so there is no one street parking. As space gets more restricted, it will become more common.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Also, the council are unlikely to paint double yellow lines unless it actually is dangerous.

What they may do (if asked by the residents, normally via a residents association) is introduce permit parking. It happens around hospitals, dart stations etc where you have a lot of commuters.

The OP days it's dangerous.

Permit parking won't solve the OPs issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Late for work, caught driving down a bus lane.
    Caught bang to rights :D

So District Court matters, definitely not a civil matter or injunction then.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    A lot of roads don't allow on street parking. It's far from unusual. You can always convert front garden to parking.

If it's dangerous it's dangerous.

I never said otherwise.

The OP never described the road as dangerous either, just busy. I'm pretty sure if it was a street that didn't allow on street parking, they would have mentioned that too.

Anyway, they've been advised of their options, once they are aware of the possible repercussions that may come with those options.

I think this will quite possibly turn out to be one of those things where they are just going to have to pick their battles. They still have to live beside their neighbours.

I'd begin by reversing in, and driving out, and seeing if that helps.

• Advertisement

The OP days it's dangerous.

Permit parking won't solve the OPs issue.

Well, I guess ultimately that's up to the council or whatever relevant authority to determine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

callaway92 wrote: »
    He was just asking for advice though. Nothing wrong with that.

Indeed but it's not worth a lot when only desirable responses are considered.
    Tbh if the own car is reverse parked in the drive I can't see how merging on the road can be a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

OP, what reasonable option do you think they could take which would resolve your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

A reversing camera is no help in this situation. You can’t see cars coming from either side.
    Driving out is infinitely preferable to reversing out onto a main road.
    Nobody is suggesting that you should drive out blind but you have a much better chance of seeing what’s coming when you drive out.
    Fils wrote: »
    Having a good reverse camera makes it safer to reverse out rather than stick the front of car blind onto road and expect everyone to obey you.

Well, I guess ultimately that's up to the council or whatever relevant authority to determine.

This is why you go to them and ultimately if anyone has a problem with it they can blame the local authority. If the authority thinks there could be an accident after they warned they might take action. They are risk adverse. Though slow to do anything.

A reversing camera is no help in this situation. You can’t see cars coming from either side.

They'd be aslo blocked by the parked cars.

This is why you go to them and ultimately if anyone has a problem with it they can blame the local authority. If the authority thinks there could be an accident after they warned they might take action. They are risk adverse. Though slow to do anything.

So... if one resident has an issue with how their neighbours legally park their cars, and makes a complaint to the council which results in on-street parking being removed for every house on the street including mine - who am I going to blame? I'll give you a hint. The answer wouldn't be the local authority.

If the neighbours were parking illegally or constantly parking in such a way that was blocking access, it would be a different answer. I hope they can find a solution without resorting to such drastic action that would impact on everyone around them.

So... if one resident has an issue with how their neighbours legally park their cars, ...

Legal doesn't exclude the possiblity that's it's dangerous.

Are you saying you'd prefer it to remain dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Driving out is infinitely preferable to reversing out onto a main road.
    Nobody is suggesting that you should drive out blind but you have a much better chance of seeing what’s coming when you drive out.

Did you ever see the vision a 180 degree camera gives you?

Fils wrote: »
    Did you ever see the vision a 180 degree camera gives you?

Seems like there there is no more dangerous parking. Only bad cameras.

• Advertisement

Not engaging further, you're clearly bored and just looking for a row.

The OP has been advised of their options. It appears that their neighbours aren't doing anything illegal, and there are other options to going nuclear, which you seem to want to encourage.

Consider yourself ignored.

Seems like there there is no more dangerous parking. Only bad cameras.

Well buying that suv on pcp what did you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If the parking is dangerous then it is not legal. Inconvenient is probably the word you are looking for.

Marcusm wrote: »
    If the parking is dangerous then it is not legal. Inconvenient is probably the word you are looking for.

Things change which is why they add restrictions to places that previous had none. Sometimes it's only a problem when the volume of traffic increases, or some other change causes traffic to change behaviour.

Not engaging further, you're clearly bored and just looking for a row.

The OP has been advised of their options. It appears that their neighbours aren't doing anything illegal, and there are other options to going nuclear, which you seem to want to encourage.

Consider yourself ignored.

If any of that was true you couldn't have quoted me in reply.

It appears that could be doing something illegal as it's causing a problem.

Must be one of the more popular topics on boards bad parking, inconsiderate parking, illegal parking. There's even a photo thread devoted to it.

The lockdown have us a taste of what less cars can do to improve an area. Especially with regard to freeing up space from parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

this is maybe a problem caused by high house prices ,
    people are staying at home even after they get a job.So one home will have 2 or more cars.
    on street parking is legal ,so all you can do is talk to neighbour ,
    maybe get him to park extra 2 cars on one side of your house , so you can
    get a better view of the road.
    say you exit to the right, get him to park 2 cars on the left.
    i assume he could park 2 cars in the driveway.
    they problem is if complain to council they will maybe impose more parking restrictions which will have a negative effect on other people in the estate.
    many people are staying at home ,working from home due to pandemic,
    which may mean more parking spaces are used in estates
    than normal .
    this is usually more of a problem in terraced houses where theres only on street parking.
    maybe he could widen his gate entrance ,it might make it easier to park cars in his front garden

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Things change which is why they add restrictions to places that previous had none. Sometimes it's only a problem when the volume of traffic increases, or some other change causes traffic to change behaviour.

What does that waffle mean? S55 RTA 1968 is very clear that it is an offence to park a car in a dangerous position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Just park on the road outside your house if there is space available, if questioned about it just say it's too dangerous to drive out of your drive, offer to rent them your driveway,

Marcusm wrote: »
    What does that waffle mean? S55 RTA 1968 is very clear that it is an offence to park a car in a dangerous position.

In that case they are illegally parked, because the OP says its dangerous.

• Advertisement

Dangerous needs to be defined and proven in according with the law.

Advertisement