Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Media reaction with no facts - Carlow Secondary School

• 20-06-2021 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pres_Carlow/status/1406212446851846147

There were a number of individuals involved in Irish media and politics who were extremely critical of the Male teachers in Presentation Carlow to a wholly unfounded allegation. The PE teachers in particularly cited and with some commentators calling for their sacking and even Garda investigations! Some of these included Aodan o Riordan, Ciara Kelly, Hazel Chu, a RTE news report, Newstalk reporter Kacey Riordan, Richie Sadlier etc They were very vocal in their criticism to the school and staff members. Now the press ombundsman has found there was nothing in this but chinese whispers. Since this finding, the above named people have been absolutely silent. Not a peep out of them. They'd be the very people leading the cancel culture crusade.

Now I'm not calling for them to be sacked but they could at least do the decent thing and apologise for their commentary during those few days in November. They can be quick enough to criticize others but haven't owned up to their own mistake here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It probably didn't help that students mainly girls and their parents were all giving wildly different versions of what was said at these meetings in the first place ,
    The media and everyone else jumped on the victim 101 bandwagon after that .
    Apologies need to be made public ,the families involved should be told to find new schools ,I wouldn't feel safe as male working in a school where claims like that can be made and yet get zero protection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I didn't even know this turned out to be another lie, until I seen it posted by randomers elsewhere. If there was corrections made in news outlets, they were done with subtly, or not at all. It's a bit like the Margret Cash story; the initial outrage driven reports were plastered all over the news, yet there was no follow up showing that she was a pure chancer, trying to scam the system. Yet some people wonder why people don't trust the media anymore.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

A lot of apologies need to be made.

But will they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They ought to apologise but no need for anyone to resign or be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A lot of apologies need to be made.

But will they ?

I'd say those folks are afraid of legal letters arriving in their letter box.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

And hopefully those letters will arrive, it may prevent something like this happening again

Rightfully so.

Hope they get a few astro pitches and a luxurious school bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

And the fact that they gave this nonsense attention has taught another generation that lies, gossip and accusations can get you rewarded with the attention you desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

Look at some of the individuals involved Aodan o Riordan, Ciara Kelly, Hazel Chu, a RTE news report, Newstalk reporter Kacey Riordan, Richie Sadlier. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

PhoneMain wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Pres_Carlow/status/1406212446851846147

There were a number of individuals involved in Irish media and politics who were extremely critical of the Male teachers in Presentation Carlow to a wholly unfounded allegation. The PE teachers in particularly cited and with some commentators calling for their sacking and even Garda investigations! Some of these included Aodan o Riordan, Ciara Kelly, Hazel Chu, a RTE news report, Newstalk reporter Kacey Riordan, Richie Sadlier etc They were very vocal in their criticism to the school and staff members. Now the press ombundsman has found there was nothing in this but chinese whispers. Since this finding, the above named people have been absolutely silent. Not a peep out of them. They'd be the very people leading the cancel culture crusade.

Now I'm not calling for them to be sacked but they could at least do the decent thing and apologise for their commentary during those few days in November. They can be quick enough to criticize others but haven't owned up to their own mistake here.

You can't use that term anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Hazel Chu really has shown herself to be an utter cretin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

thanks to sht like this the value of nonsense nothingburger allegations is gradually dropping to zero.

social media fatigue is growing.

85603 wrote: »
    thanks to sht like this the value of nonsense nothingburger allegations is gradually dropping to zero.

social media fatigue is growing.

This was all over the news and social media at the time. Damage is done unfortunately. Nowhere near as many will hear about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Hazel Chu really has shown herself to be an utter cretin

The national media coverage that this local county councillor who holds an honorary position receives is absolutely staggering. I don't think there has ever before been a nationally known Irish politician who was never actually a TD, Senator or President (Presidential run no doubt coming in 2025 or so if she fails to get into the Dail/ Seanad before then)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

My opinion of journalists remain unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Surely there is enough here for a long series of lawsuits against certain individuals for such serious defamation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Surely there is enough here for a long series of lawsuits against certain individuals for such serious defamation?

Now that they've been officially exonerated I hope they do go down this path.

Hopefully might teach others to actually research the issues or newbites they see/hear before they start mouthing off and publicly laying into people.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Were any of the teachers named? If so, that’s alarming. This really is something that could lead to a suicide quite easily. Having one’s good name tarnished is devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Were any of the teachers named? If so, that’s alarming. This really is something that could lead to a suicide quite easily. Having one’s good name tarnished is devastating.

And wellness-mental health guru/moany football pundit Sadlier couldn't wait to stick his oar in and damage very badly the reputation and health of the male teachers (I think 7 men)
    Always the be kind hoohas. Always.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Newbie20

As a male teacher in an all girls school, I feel very angry about this story. If I was a teacher in this school I wouldn’t be letting this go. All these “do gooders”, they’ve no problem tarnishing someone’s good reputation when there’s a bandwagon to be jumped on. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Checked a few on the list and Richie Sadlier was the only one that seems to have come out with an apology on twitter so far. Be interesting to see if any of the others follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Checked a few on the list and Richie Sadlier was the only one that seems to have come out with an apology on twitter so far. Be interesting g to see if any of the others follow suit

Actually, just saw that since you mentioned it.
    i'll give him kudos for that and hopefully he has learned his lesson.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Checked a few on the list and Richie Sadlier was the only one that seems to have come out with an apology on twitter so far. Be interesting to see if any of the others follow suit

I wouldnt be holding out hope. Would imagine the likes of those who jumped on this bandwagon would twist any legally obliged apology into a soapbox about "how hard it is for young women in Ireland" or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Splish Splash

Whatever about the original article and the Press Council's ruling, the school did behave very poorly. The school principal gave an interview on Morning Ireland last year which shows how endemic the problem of bodyshaming is - he genuinely thought there was no problem with how they handled the issue. Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I wonder if there will be a defamation lawsuit, i think in such cases that's the only way to really drive home the importance of accuracy in what you say on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

Thejournal.ie are covering this too, but with "comments closed" for some reason. Would it be because they themselves were disgraceful in their original reporting of the story, and helped fan the flames of false accusations?

Tis about two weeks since they published that article on why media censorship...is bad. The comments were not kind. More than a few mentions of hypocrisy. This is just another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

They all seem to be deleting their tweets with no apology. Spineless.

Ruth Coppinger is an all round terrible person. The same happened with the false story that a Dublin hospital had refused a woman an abortion after it was legalised, she immediately called for board members heads to roll, by the end of the day it was found to be lies and she just never mentioned it again. Absolutely no integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

purifol0 wrote: »
    Thejournal.ie are covering this too, but with "comments closed" for some reason. Would it be because they themselves were disgraceful in their original reporting of the story, and helped fan the flames of false accusations?

Tis about two weeks since they published that article on why media censorship...is bad. The comments were not kind. More than a few mentions of hypocrisy. This is just another one.

Just saw the original article from November and the comments are open. Several comments alluding to male staff potentially being pedophiles. Hope they sue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sadlier's tweet is a please don't sue me apology.

He deleted his original tweets If he had any balls and wanted to genuinely apologies he would have quoted his original tweets and shown what he said at the time while not knowing the actual facts instead of deleting them and giving his apology on tweet from the school that tagged those social media justice warriors who want to cancel everyone.

Also fair to the school of keeping a list of everyone of those individuals and media outlets that jumped on the bandwagon and tagged then all now.

Advertisement